In An Unspoken Voice - Peter Levine

Alana said:
Mariama said:
EE and the diet have produced significant changes in myself, but I can now clearly see that there is more work to be done.

I agree with you, and from my own experience, I think that it was EE and the diet (emotional and physical detoxification) that has helped me see more clearly where more work needs to be done.

Added:
Mariama said:
SMM and others, I really liked this (short) video by Peter Levine. He says some interesting things about outrage. Worth watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ByalBx85iC8

That was helpful, thank you. Let us know how your experience with SE goes :) I haven't been able to find one in my area.

Thank you Mariama, that was extremely helpful. EE & diet did the same for me, almost preliminary work. I really like the ideas in his SE techniques, particularly with the amount of evidence provided.
I used to feel it intensely but was never able to explain it, wondered whether it was normal & almost felt unable to 'unplug' myself.

Mariama said:
Alana said:
That was helpful, thank you. Let us know how your experience with SE goes :) I haven't been able to find one in my area.

Will do, Alana. :)

Are you familiar with Peter's online course?

http://www.soundstrue.com/shop/The-Healing-Trauma-Online-Course/2410.pd

You can find an introduction here:

Dr. Peter A. Levine discusses his online course "Healing Trauma," which offers students tools to rebound from the effects of trauma and to come back into life through a reconnection with our body and our sensations and feelings. He also shares the inspirational story of one of his first patients.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSjityEv4M8

It's amazing how this & so much information is out there yet isn't easy to come by.

Mariama said:
Alana said:

Will do, Alana. :)

Are you familiar with Peter's online course?

http://www.soundstrue.com/shop/The-Healing-Trauma-Online-Course/2410.pd

You can find an introduction here:

Dr. Peter A. Levine discusses his online course "Healing Trauma," which offers students tools to rebound from the effects of trauma and to come back into life through a reconnection with our body and our sensations and feelings. He also shares the inspirational story of one of his first patients.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSjityEv4M8

Thank you, I was not aware of this. I will check it out.

Mariama said:
SMM and others, I really liked this (short) video by Peter Levine. He says some interesting things about outrage. Worth watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ByalBx85iC8

Thanks for this video, Mariama. It helped clarify his methods better. The book is so chock full of information that I find it hard to absorb it all. He really means it when he says he's poured all of his life's work into it. It's something of a gold mine, really.

Yesterday I tried using the method he outlined in the video combined with methods outlined in the book. First, I tried to do the clenching fist exercise, clenching my fist lightly at first, then moving in and out of the clench very slowly. I think I felt something, but I couldn't really be sure. Then I tried the jaw clench in the same way. Felt something there too, but mildly. My facial muscles started trembling as I did it. Soon, major trembling was occurring, and my face contorted into a grimace. The various facial muscles were still trembling, alternatingly. Then later, to my surprise, the facial muscles started contorting into a smile! The facial muscles were still trembling, and it looked as though the face was relearning how to smile. There was not much feeling when all of this happened, only mild if any. But the whole process, especially the smile, felt totally alien to my "self". It was very much akin to discovery of something new and strange, or at least I took the attitude of curiosity to let the process move through as it may.

Today when I try to will those exact facial muscles to move to positions (grimace/smile) again, the trembling occurs. The interesting thing about the smile is that I think it is a so-called "authentic" smile. Looked up SoTT on smiling and found this article:

http://www.sott.net/article/213770-The-Hidden-Cost-of-Smiling-Smiles-Brighten-Our-Lives-But-Whats-Lost-in-the-Glare said:
...To the extent that we encourage and tolerate the dissociation of facial (and verbal) expressions from their original purpose of communicating an underlying truth, we are beginning to resemble the psychopath.

... As a society, what we choose to banish is as important in shaping our character and experience as what we choose to cherish. And choosing to banish or devalue expressions of somberness, doubt, fear, anxiety, hostility and despair in favor of the perpetual smile comes at a cost. When we become immersed in an ocean of fake cheerfulness, we begin to see it as natural, even necessary. We begin to expect, seek, and demand it in ourselves, our friends, our leaders, hence limiting the range of our experience, the depth of our understanding, and the agility of our responses.

I was thinking all along that my job had actually taught me something good: how to smile! But essentially, while learning to put up a mask is great for living life, it was not ALL good, as I also forgot that I had my own feelings to take into account, and there were some times where I could express THEM for a change. I would sometimes unconsciously force myself to laugh and smile to the point where my guts would hurt so badly (losing gut feeling :huh:) and I'd feel totally exhausted afterward. This happened when I was dealing with authority, bosses and colleagues too.

This is all telling me that I need to strive to pay attention and be aware of my own feelings. But I think the suppressed emotions are in the way, as a result it makes it even harder to know what I feel, because my ego is still adamant on keeping all those feelings down. This control is shortsighted as it seems to be expressed in an inauthentic interaction with others, automatic reactions and negative rumination.

I had my first session with a Peter Levine therapist today (Somatic Experiencing). It was really interesting.

First, we discussed my childhood a little. I explained to her that I didn't remember the first years of my life, but that I had dreams, although I wasn't sure whether the information was correct. The therapist explained that it doesn't matter whether the information is precise, what matters are the feelings and sensations that accompany the information and how you deal with them.

I told her that I had had a terrible dream one night and that I had woken up with my body aching all over. That's when I found out that I must do this on a regular basis. I sometimes wake up just in time before I start gritting my teeth. And at times (but not always) my whole body aches during the day. The last time was a few weeks ago, the night after our Cat had died and when my body went into lock-down, that is how it felt. She called it the harness of the body, which is the worst stage, if I recall it correctly.

Then we did all kinds of exercises together. We started loosening the feet, ankles, then the knees and hips. Then the wrists, elbows and shoulders, the jaws, the head and the neck. Every time she would ask how it felt, which is an important part of the SE sessions. If you become aware of the sensations and what you feel in your body, only then the signal will be able to reach the brain, the short-term memory, according to the therapist.

It was really interesting, because when she asked me to relax and become aware of my body I started wiggling my toes automatically, because I couldn't trust the process. When we continued with the exercises I could feel my left leg starting to feel cooler and more free, as if there was a small stream flowing, which was a nice feeling, because normally I am pretty tense. But the tension then went upwards and my neck started aching quite badly, because the other parts were letting go of the tension. Miraculous how the body works, it is truly amazing how my own body still wants to protect me.

We did one exercise with the neck, just looking around and observe and see whether the environment we find ourselves in is safe. So, e.g. when you are on the train you look around you and check whether you are safe. And then afterwards look and see whether something has changed, whether colours have become deeper or whether you see now something that you hadn't noticed before.

I wrote down some exercises that she wants me to do once or twice a day, but she told me not to overdo it.

beetlemaniac said:
Yesterday I tried using the method he outlined in the video combined with methods outlined in the book. First, I tried to do the clenching fist exercise, clenching my fist lightly at first, then moving in and out of the clench very slowly. I think I felt something, but I couldn't really be sure. Then I tried the jaw clench in the same way. Felt something there too, but mildly. My facial muscles started trembling as I did it. Soon, major trembling was occurring, and my face contorted into a grimace. The various facial muscles were still trembling, alternatingly. Then later, to my surprise, the facial muscles started contorting into a smile! The facial muscles were still trembling, and it looked as though the face was relearning how to smile. There was not much feeling when all of this happened, only mild if any. But the whole process, especially the smile, felt totally alien to my "self". It was very much akin to discovery of something new and strange, or at least I took the attitude of curiosity to let the process move through as it may.

Great work, beetlemaniac. :)

The therapist told me that our facial muscles are directly linked to the brain stem. She said that 65% of the Dutch clench their jaws. I assume that it is the same for all other Western countries. The back of my neck often hurts, so these exercises with the jaw and face can help with that.

Mariama said:
I had my first session with a Peter Levine therapist today (Somatic Experiencing). It was really interesting.

First, we discussed my childhood a little. I explained to her that I didn't remember the first years of my life, but that I had dreams, although I wasn't sure whether the information was correct. The therapist explained that it doesn't matter whether the information is precise, what matters are the feelings and sensations that accompany the information and how you deal with them.

I told her that I had had a terrible dream one night and that I had woken up with my body aching all over. That's when I found out that I must do this on a regular basis. I sometimes wake up just in time before I start gritting my teeth. And at times (but not always) my whole body aches during the day. The last time was a few weeks ago, the night after our Cat had died and when my body went into lock-down, that is how it felt. She called it the harness of the body, which is the worst stage, if I recall it correctly.

Then we did all kinds of exercises together. We started loosening the feet, ankles, then the knees and hips. Then the wrists, elbows and shoulders, the jaws, the head and the neck. Every time she would ask how it felt, which is an important part of the SE sessions. If you become aware of the sensations and what you feel in your body, only then the signal will be able to reach the brain, the short-term memory, according to the therapist.

It was really interesting, because when she asked me to relax and become aware of my body I started wiggling my toes automatically, because I couldn't trust the process. When we continued with the exercises I could feel my left leg starting to feel cooler and more free, as if there was a small stream flowing, which was a nice feeling, because normally I am pretty tense. But the tension then went upwards and my neck started aching quite badly, because the other parts were letting go of the tension. Miraculous how the body works, it is truly amazing how my own body still wants to protect me.

We did one exercise with the neck, just looking around and observe and see whether the environment we find ourselves in is safe. So, e.g. when you are on the train you look around you and check whether you are safe. And then afterwards look and see whether something has changed, whether colours have become deeper or whether you see now something that you hadn't noticed before.

I wrote down some exercises that she wants me to do once or twice a day, but she told me not to overdo it.

beetlemaniac said:

Great work, beetlemaniac. :)

The therapist told me that our facial muscles are directly linked to the brain stem. She said that 65% of the Dutch clench their jaws. I assume that it is the same for all other Western countries. The back of my neck often hurts, so these exercises with the jaw and face can help with that.

Thank you Mariama! Glad to hear that your sessions have started, and thanks for the summary of your session.

I had my second session today. I cancelled a session a few weeks ago, as I became ill with a cold (I haven't had a cold in years) and with some sort of backlash after the first session. It took me weeks to recover. I was so tired. Apparently, more people develop colds and the flu after a session, as the body needs to de-stress and that is the only way some (like me) can give in.

It was a very good session. I was very apprehensive and tense, before we started and had slept badly. She gave me a good mirror, showing me how I looked when I had come in, avoiding (eye) contact, scanning my environment, looking around me to see whether I was safe, small movements of the head and so on. She explained that all that tension that I am feeling, the frozen shoulder, the pain in my muscles and joints, even in my thumbs is the result of the body being on the alert the whole time. The moment she explained and named things for me, being a witness really, I could feel my body respond. My feet and legs started feeling really good, there was this gentle flow going through them and when we explored more that feeling started going upwards to my buttocks, up to my shoulders and I was pain-free in these areas and even better I felt my body opening up. I can't recall ever having felt that way.

She also spoke of the need to release the guilt, another thing she observed in me and to come up with a counter statement, if you will. So, instead of thinking that I should have started earlier with these sessions I can say to myself how good it is that I am doing this work now and that I wasn't ready earlier.

There was lots more, but I have to sleep on it. I am so grateful for this opportunity. I am really under the impression that the Universe is still giving me the time to do this, before the world as we know it comes to an end. I couldn't believe my luck when I found this therapist in the city near my home. And thank you to you, the forum, for introducing Peter Levine to us. I think this kind of therapy is a little goldmine.

I had my fourth session this week.

The first two sessions were a breeze, unlike the third and the fourth ones. These past sessions have set all kinds of things in motion and I have been feeling very tired and drained. I have been having some interesting and very clear dreams. Also, lots of different sensations that are very painful physically. I will go and see my GP next week, just to make sure it isn't something else. I do feel slightly better than I did during these past few weeks and months, when my body was aching and sleep was difficult at times. I am using my FIR blanket which is wonderful, DMSO and MSM alternating with acupressure tape and I take extra magnesium at night and salt water in the morning.
I have reduced my coffee intake, one cup every fortnight or so and I have to start making bone broth again.

When I sit or lie still I can feel my body shaking very subtly at times, which is a first for me. There are parts in my body that are pain free and even feel relaxed at times, especially my belly which IMO has to do with EE. My legs feel liberated at times and sometimes they hurt badly.

Mariama, I haven't kept up on this thread and apologies. Thank you for sharing the experience. It sounds very challenging and takes a lot of courage. I look forward to updates.

Bluefyre said:
Mariama, I haven't kept up on this thread and apologies. Thank you for sharing the experience. It sounds very challenging and takes a lot of courage. I look forward to updates.

I second this, Mariama. I am very interested in the process you are going through - hoping that it will free you on the one hand, and also as learning by proxy. I am thinking about buying the online course to deal with auto-accident trauma. Although it happened thirty years ago I am certain it needs dealing with now.

Did you go to further sessions?

Paddyjohn said:
Bluefyre said:

I second this, Mariama. I am very interested in the process you are going through - hoping that it will free you on the one hand, and also as learning by proxy. I am thinking about buying the online course to deal with auto-accident trauma. Although it happened thirty years ago I am certain it needs dealing with now.

Thank you so much for the encouragement, Bluefyre and Paddyjohn. That really means a lot to me. The road has been rough these past few months, but the good thing about it is that there is always bliss at the end of it. I am looking forward to it. :)

I canceled my fifth session, because it became too much, too much to process and my body hurting, especially at night. During the day there is not much pain, just feelings of exhaustion. At the same time I am having these insights that simply blow me away.
I came to the realisation that the members of my family that caused me so much suffering when I was very young changed into these sweet and lovely human beings, when they were about to depart this world, even if it was just for a moment. Their goodness was there all of a sudden. Both my grand-fathers when they became seriously ill and senile turned into sweet, vulnerable and non-threatening human beings, which means that the goodness had always been there, but it never had a chance to manifest itself, at least not when I was around. So, in a sense through this therapy - a therapy that restores goodness in us - I am also restoring goodness in my family.

Yesterday I was thinking about one of my grand-fathers and how much I liked and loved him at the end of his life. This cheerful, smiling and grateful old man that he could become, because of his senility. Then I had this sensation and I started feeling really horrible, there was no memory that surfaced, just this sensation and after a couple of minutes this heavy feeling started subsiding again. So, it is true what Peter Levine has been saying. These feelings can and will change:

[T]he experience of pendulation, the body's natural restorative rhythm of contraction and expansion that tells us that whatever is felt is time-limited... that suffering will not last forever. Pendulation carries all living creatures through difficult sensations and emotions. What's more, it requires no effort; it is wholly innate.

Thank you for listening.

Mariama said:
Paddyjohn said:
Bluefyre said:

Thank you so much for the encouragement, Bluefyre and Paddyjohn. That really means a lot to me. The road has been rough these past few months, but the good thing about it is that there is always bliss at the end of it. I am looking forward to it. :)

I canceled my fifth session, because it became too much, too much to process and my body hurting, especially at night. During the day there is not much pain, just feelings of exhaustion. At the same time I am having these insights that simply blow me away.
I came to the realisation that the members of my family that caused me so much suffering when I was very young changed into these sweet and lovely human beings, when they were about to depart this world, even if it was just for a moment. Their goodness was there all of a sudden. Both my grand-fathers when they became seriously ill and senile turned into sweet, vulnerable and non-threatening human beings, which means that the goodness had always been there, but it never had a chance to manifest itself, at least not when I was around. So, in a sense through this therapy - a therapy that restores goodness in us - I am also restoring goodness in my family.

Yesterday I was thinking about one of my grand-fathers and how much I liked and loved him at the end of his life. This cheerful, smiling and grateful old man that he could become, because of his senility. Then I had this sensation and I started feeling really horrible, there was no memory that surfaced, just this sensation and after a couple of minutes this heavy feeling started subsiding again. So, it is true what Peter Levine has been saying. These feelings can and will change:

[T]he experience of pendulation, the body's natural restorative rhythm of contraction and expansion that tells us that whatever is felt is time-limited... that suffering will not last forever. Pendulation carries all living creatures through difficult sensations and emotions. What's more, it requires no effort; it is wholly innate.

Thank you for listening.

Thank you for speaking, Mariama.

That was powerful to read. Those qualities you mention that you witnessed manifesting in your relatives shortly before they died; sweet, lovely, vulnerable, non threatening, goodness - they all shine out from your words. That's exactly how you come across. Right now. It was such a pleasure to read.

What Levine says about pendulation, and what you say about how feelings change, keeps taking me back to Lost Christianity and how the energy that waits to be developed into a soul - the soul (in inception) energy - is rejected a thousand times a day. A painful emotion or feeling comes with an invitation to give it pure attention with a view to activating development - but we avoid it and cover it up. We do the same with pleasant feelings and emotions. I am wondering if feelings constantly change as a way of giving us a chance - a thousand chances a day - to turn our purest attention to them in order to set off a journey to our next higher level - or in Lost Christianity terms - intermediate consciousness.

Just my two cents there.

I hope you'll continue to update us :)

Just a heads up that Peter Levine has a new book out:

Trauma and Memory: Brain and Body in a Search for the Living Past: A Practical Guide for Understanding and Working with Traumatic Memory

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1583949941

“In Trauma and Memory, Peter Levine provides insight into how memories and the brain circuits involved in maintaining these memories empower trauma to influence how we think, feel, and interact. Levine has been a heroic pioneer in explaining how the damaging emotional memories associated with trauma are locked in our body. His paradigm-shifting intervention model, Somatic Experiencing, has been at the forefront of clinical interventions focused on moving trauma-induced implicit feelings, locked in the body, into an explicit understanding. Levine explains how the intransigent and omnipotent power of the implicit memories of trauma can be diffused and transformed.”—Stephen W. Porges, PhD, author of The Polyvagal Theory: Neurophysiological Foundations of Emotions, Attachment, Communication, and Self-regulation

“Memory has many layers, and Peter Levine has contributed his own unique and powerful way of thinking about how we can understand these systems and optimize their unfolding after trauma. This book offers clinical wisdom drawn from decades of direct experience, demonstrating how a clinician—with focused attention and essential timing—can move unresolved, non-integrated memories into a resolved, integrated form that enables a coherent narrative to emerge and the individual to become liberated from the prisons of the past.”—Daniel J. Siegel, MD, author of Mindsight, The Mindful Therapist, and Pocket Guide to Interpersonal Neurobiology

“Only after we become capable of standing back, taking stock of ourselves, reducing the intensity of our sensations and emotions, and activating our inborn physical defensive reactions can we learn to modify our entrenched maladaptive automatic survival responses and, in doing so, put our haunting memories to rest.”—Bessel A. van der Kolk, MD, author of The Body keeps the Score: Mind, Brain and Body in the Healing of Trauma

“In yet another seminal work Peter Levine here deconstructs traumatic memory, making it accessible to healing and transformation. He helps us—therapist or client—move from a limiting past to where we belong: the empowered present.”—Gabor Maté, MD, author of In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts: Close Encounters with Addiction and When the Body Says No: Exploring the Stress-Disease Connection

“Arguably, much of our lives are spent at the mercy of the automatic brain; this is only accentuated for those who have experienced severe trauma. In writing with such depth and insight about the psychobiological dynamics of procedural memory, master therapist Peter Levine offers therapists important tools for the transformation of traumatic memory. Moreover, the writing and rich examples make this book accessible so that professionals and nonprofessionals alike can benefit from its wisdom.”—Stan Tatkin, PsyD, MFT, author of Wired for Love; founder of the PACT Institute

“With this book, Dr. Levine has made another significant contribution to the treatment of trauma. Drawing on established neuroscience he explains, in clear and accessible terms, the various kinds of memory, their neurological bases, and their role in the treatment of trauma. This book is invaluable for clinicians wishing to improve their skills, laypeople wanting a deeper understanding of the way the mind and brain work to create and heal trauma, and scientists looking to understand the implications of modern neuroscience for the treatment of trauma by the body-oriented psychotherapies.”—Peter Payne and Mardi Crane-Godreau, PhD, researchers at the Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth College

Looks good!

Thanks for the heads up Approaching Infinity! :)
I've ordered a copy and will review it, once it's read...

I found a two hour talk by Peter Levine where he discusses the relationship between the heightened presence experienced during trauma and heightened presence that can occur during spiritual practice. I haven't finished "In An Unspoken Voice" yet, but he seems to be elaborating on the ideas in that book. He also includes really touching videos of two men. One who spent time as a child in a Japanese concentration camp (45:00) and an Iraq war veteran (1:25:00), both going through the somatic therapy process.

A summary from the Jung Society and a short review by a somatic experiencing practitioner is below.

Peter Levine - Spirituality, Archetypes, and Trauma

Peter Levine's talk was given April 18th, 2015 at the Jung Society of Austin, Texas.

The intrinsic relationship between trauma, archetypes, and spirituality is generally overlooked among the many pitfalls and “tight corners” of trauma treatment. But an understanding of this intimate relationship suggests therapeutic strategies that can help trauma clients maintain the resources needed to genuinely transform their traumatic experiences. Indeed, the “awe-full” qualities of horror and terror may share essential structural, psycho-physiological, and phenomenological roots with such underlying transformative states as awe, presence, timelessness, and ecstasy.

Our organisms are designed with primitive-instinctual proclivities—“slow-motion” perception, and intensely focused alertness, for example—that move us to extraordinary feats when we perceive that our lives are threatened. When these survival capacities are bridged to or “owned” from more ordinary states of consciousness, an experience of timelessness and presence—sometimes referred to, in meditation systems, as “the eternal now”—is promoted.

Presence, Spirituality and Trauma

The “awe-full” qualities of horror and terror may share essential structural, psycho-physiological, and phenomenological roots with such underlying transformative states as awe, presence, timelessness, and ecstasy.

Our organisms are designed with primitive-instinctual proclivities—“slow-motion” perception, and intensely focused alertness, for example—that move us to extraordinary feats when we perceive that our lives are threatened. When these survival capacities are bridged to or “owned” from more ordinary states of consciousness, an experience of timelessness and presence—sometimes referred to, in meditation systems, as “the eternal now”—is promoted.

In addition, the effect of trauma involves a profound compression of activation. The ability to access, and integrate the rhythmic movements of this “bound energy” determines whether it will be destructive or potentially vitalizing.

In the yogas of the East, awakening of the “Kundalini” (as studied by Jung) has long been utilized as a vehicle for spiritual transformation. In trauma a similar mobilization of (survival) activation is evoked, but with such intensity and rapidity that it is overwhelming. Naturally, many individuals faced with such energy become frightened by these involuntary bodily reactions and tighten up against them, causing even more fear to develop.

But if we can gradually access, titrate and integrate this “energy” into our nervous system and psychic structures then the instinctual survival response embedded within trauma can also catalyze authentic spiritual transformation.

Note from Elizabeth Bader: In my experience, one major difference between the heightened awareness produced by trauma and that experienced during spiritual practice is that the heart is not open during trauma. We can open to love during spiritual practice, but the heart generally shuts down when there is shock or trauma.

https://youtu.be/Umbjjw-WFj0

Menrva said:
I found a two hour talk by Peter Levine where he discusses the relationship between the heightened presence experienced during trauma and heightened presence that can occur during spiritual practice. I haven't finished "In An Unspoken Voice" yet, but he seems to be elaborating on the ideas in that book. He also includes really touching videos of two men. One who spent time as a child in a Japanese concentration camp (45:00) and an Iraq war veteran (1:25:00), both going through the somatic therapy process.

Very interesting Menrva! I haven't watched it all yet but I really liked the vortex analogy at the beginning and the direction he's taking towards considering that "spirituality isn't only what's high, but the interconnection between what's high and what's low" (paraphrasing here)

I think the idea of the stream being blocked and forming a vortex, or diverting that life stream (therefore making it thinner) relates to Daniel Goleman's idea about de "Amygdala Hijack". Trauma or fear (or let's say a "complex") blocks the normal flow of our brain, impending the proper interrelation between the amygdala (emotional brain) and the frontal cortex (sometimes referred to as the inner captain), and that makes it hard to focus on new things, to learn, to be curious, to be self-aware, etc... Well, at least that's a very simplified version of how I understand it... :) Here's the lecture posted a while back about it: The Amygdala Hijack and more

I know the brain is just one aspect of it, because those blockages can be anywhere, but it just reminded me of that.

Thanks for sharing!

Back
Top Bottom