⚠️ Important notice about PayPal donations to FOTCM

Scottie

Administrator
Administrator
FOTCM Member
We had 115 "paused" donation subscriptions on FOTCM PayPal.

Usually, this happens because the card used has expired, and was never updated. It seems PayPal doesn't do a very good job of notifying people what to do to keep the donations going!

Since there is no easy to way to notify everyone of these paused donation subscriptions, I canceled them all.

If you received a notice that your donation was canceled, you can set up a new donation subscription here:

For those of you who have set up multiple donations, you may just want to wait until next month and see what charges show up on your PayPal account and/or bank statement.

Also, it's possible you need to 'confirm your identity' with PayPal. once you hit a certain threshold, they insist that you verify your account, identity, etc. If you don't do that, no more PP for you. Even if you've had that PP account for years, you still have to jump through their hoops. It's annoying, but there you have it.

You should also be receiving an e-mail from PayPal each month. If you're not, be sure to check your spam/junk folder and possibly set up a filter to prevent missed PP e-mails in the future.

As always, thanks for your support!

Last edited:
Guys, in light of today's news about PayPal fining users for disinformation, I would like to send November and December donations now ahead of time and close my PayPal account. I also dislike this service very much and since there are so many alternatives now I will use TransferWise (which I used in the past).

So, the question is: should I close my PayPal account asap to avoid problems?

PayPal allegedly retracted the ToS change and will not do that, but who knows what those woke idiots will come up with in the near future.

Hi,

I will also be canceling my PayPal Account because they went full on draconian.

Candace Owens was vouching for a new company which is called (glorifi.com).

Here's a video of her explaining how it works, in case anyone is interested.

I will wait till tomorrow (I mean later today), but I'd rather donate the funds I have in PayPal asap rather than wait. They may actually flop and go bust. It seems thousands of people are cancelling and they may actually have liquidity problem in a blink of an eye. Better safe than sorry...

I'm currently donating to Community St Martin via Paypal and I'd like to switch to using Wise too. Is there information on the account to donate to via Wise? Should I donate to FOTCM or Community St Martin?

I will wait till tomorrow (I mean later today), but I'd rather donate the funds I have in PayPal asap rather than wait. They may actually flop and go bust. It seems thousands of people are cancelling and they may actually have liquidity problem in a blink of an eye. Better safe than sorry...
Yeah, the fallout for Paypals petty threats has once again backfired big time.

1665445283089.png
Tuesday, October 11th 2022
WASHINGTON (TND) — Paypal has unequivocally changed the way many do business. Even people without a credit card can simply type in their email address and password to make online or in-person purchases.

Others have used Paypal to grow their businesses or to collect donations but the company is facing fierce blowback for a policy it sent to users before later rescinding it.

It threatened to fine users $2,500 for posting content that promoted illegal drug use, violence, hatred, discrimination or misinformation, with no guidance on what that would actually mean.

Paypal, by making itself the arbiter of what speech constitutes misinformation or what speech is harmful or objectionable, essentially leaving it up to the whims of a few people who work there to decide what speech is acceptable," said Aaron Terr with the Foundation for Individual Rights and Expression.
Terr is a senior program officer with FIRE, a group whose mission is "to defend and sustain the individual rights of all Americans to free speech and free thought," according to its website.

Following the policy being sent out to users, Paypal's former president tweeted the "policy goes against everything I believe in. A private company now gets to decide to take your money if you say something they disagree with. Insanity."

Even though Paypal backtracked on this policy, the move is raising larger questions about the power of big tech providing more fuel to the fire for Congress to take action.

We’re going to ban these companies if they're discriminating against users because of the political content of their speech," Blake Masters, the Republican candidate in Arizona for U.S. Senate, said in an interview on Fox News.
It’s a trend Republicans say often targets them but under current law, Paypal is allowed to create its own policies, and after the backlash said that policy was sent out “in error,” apologizing for any confusion caused.

Still with Paypal and Venmo — which Paypal owns — the dominant players in the industry, the concern once again, is another big tech company that’s simply become too big.
That gives them a lot of control over the speech environment, it gives them a lot of power to police American's speech," Terr said.
Policing speech has become a continuing conundrum for Congress, leaving wide open questions about who exactly is in charge online.

I believe they already retracted the decision by saying that it was “a mistake” and did not intent to charge $2,500 for what they could consider “desinfo”. So for now PayPal stays the same.

Well I would like my automatic monthly donations to FOTCM to go through another service if possible. Other than Wise and glorify.com are there other money transfer sites that members have used and liked? Perhaps the most important question is this, is there a service that FOTCM likes ... perhaps it's a bit easier to receive? Thanks

I don´t think that PayPal acc ever gets "fully deleted". Like FB...

I have had my PayPal acc in Croatia and as I moved to Germany, PP told me I cannot do business via Cro PP in DE.
So I closed Cro PP acc and wanted to reopen a new one in DE with the same email, but I couldn´t. I wrote to them and called them - they "could see no errors or problems". In the end, I had to open a DE acc with a different email...

Back
Top Bottom