"Illnesses Rise Amid Ground Zero Debate"

From the AP via The Lexington Dispatch
http://www(dot)the-dispatch(dot)com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070123/APA/701230674&cachetime=5

"Deborah Reeve got a cold, a cough and a fever that wouldn't go away. It was more than two years after she had left recovery efforts at ground zero.

"A month later, the nonsmoker was diagnosed with mesothelioma, an asbestos-related cancer. By last spring, the 41-year-old mother of two was dead.

"My wife got killed on Sept. 11 and she didn't die until March 15, 2006," said her husband, David, a paramedic like his wife who also spent months breathing in toxic dust at the World Trade Center site after the 2001 attacks."

Balance of article at link.

Doesn't suprise me at all. The reason that the WTC was not allowed to be 'pulled' in such a manner was primarily because of the aspestos.

The thing is, buildings do have a 'use by' date and when the cost of demolishing the building (legally - which in the case of aspestos, tends to be very expensive) exceeds the revenue or return being generated from the building - this does not represent a very good investment. I think 'Lucky Larry' would have known about that.

Considering LL (as well as the City of New York) came out fairly well from 9/11, I did tend to wonder whether it was likely that they had links to what is known as 'organised crime'.

And here's another one (if you ignore the constant unfortunate references to someone's 'state of the union' address and an attempt to pull heartstrings):
http://www(dot)nydailynews(dot)com/news/ideas_opinions/story/490981p-413581c.html

He will tell the nation about his dying dad

His father answered the call to duty and now the son follows.

Ceasar Borja, all of 21 years old, will tonight join the U.S. Senate, House of Representatives and members of the Supreme Court in listening to George W. Bush's seventh State of the Union address. The President's words will fill the august chamber as the young man's dad slips ever closer to death.

For, barring a miracle, death is coming for Cesar Borja at the age of 52. He is dying because, as a New York City police officer, he served at Ground Zero after the World Trade Center disintegrated, week after week searing his lungs with the towers' airborne remains.

Without a lung transplant, Cesar Borja will suffocate. In the days just past, he has been battling infection and hovering beneath consciousness at Mount Sinai Medical Center. It's doubtful he will hear the President tonight or witness the moment when the oldest of his three children stands forth as the emissary of all the forgotten victims of 9/11. But there's no doubt he would be proud.

Young Ceasar Borja might just be the man who will prod Bush to see, as Borja said yesterday, "that 9/11 did not end that year. It still continues now to the present day." He might just be the person who prompts the President, finally, to understand that the federal government has a long-term responsibility to pay for health care for thousands of sickened rescue and recovery workers.

This State of the Union address is particularly critical for Bush. He will be speaking to ascendant Democrats while facing deep bipartisan hostility toward his plan for a troop surge in Iraq - and while shadowed by the most debilitating of questions: Is this President relevant anymore?

Early reports have it that Bush will devote a goodly amount of attention to domestic matters, such as energy independence, health insurance and immigration, that have gone by the boards as his administration lost touch with the

American public. Each has long deserved a place high on the national agenda. So, too, providing excellent medical treatment to the men and women who have paid, and will continue to pay, enormous prices because they responded to an act of war.

Young Borja will be the guest tonight of Sen. Hillary Clinton, who has long been a leading advocate on 9/11 health issues. With Reps. Carolyn Maloney and Vito Fossella, she pushed and cajoled and embarrassed the Department of Health and Human Services into delivering its first treatment funding last year - five years after the fact. But there's enough money to last only until summer.

Clinton and Maloney, Democrats, and Fossella, a Republican, want Bush to create a line in the federal budget to continue treatment for as long as is necessary, and a Senate committee is set to hold hearings next month on a Clinton bill that would allocate $1.9 billion over five years to 9/11 health issues.

Judging by the dignity with which he has conducted himself since the Daily News told the story of his father's battle with pulmonary fibrosis, Borja may well crystallize for the na

tion how badly the government has failed the 9/11 responders. In anticipation of his trip, he met the press yesterday. Here is some of what he had to say:

"My father Cesar Borja is 52 years old and he is a retired NYPD police officer. He has served and protected the city of New York for 20 years, and retired in 2003. ... "I have two younger siblings. Evan, my brother, who is 16. But I feel sorry the most for my youngest. Her name is Nhia. She's my sister. She's 12 years old.

"I'm going tomorrow to Washington, D.C., with Sen. Hillary Clinton - and I thank her for that - for a chance to reach further more of the press and to promote that 9/11 did not end that year. It still continues now to the present day.

"And I am not the only one affected. But I know that I represent them.

"I hope that the government will pass legislation offering financial support for medical attention, proper health care, for all those heroes-turned-victims due to the fact that they did not hesitate on Sept. 11, 2001.

"It's not just New York's Finest or New York's Bravest, but also volunteers. I remember coming here shortly thereafter to see what was going on. I probably first arrived here at the World

Trade Center, at Ground Zero, perhaps Sept. 14, when my parents thought it was safe for me to come and visit. And I saw license plates from all over America, even Canada. They came to help. ...

"I'm lucky to be 21, to have known my father as long as I have. I hope that with proper medical attention, little girls and young boys like my brother, 16, won't have to go through what my family's going through. ...

"That is why I need the help of the government. Not just me, but everyone, everyone that's been affected, all the heroes, all of the families, all of the wives, the sons, the daughters, the brothers, the sisters, the grandmothers, the grandfathers, everyone that has been affected by 9/11. We need the help of the U.S. government. Please."

Extending a State of the Union invitation to Ceasar Borja was one of Clinton's first acts after declaring her entry into the 2008 presidential contest. Call it political if you will, but accept it as political in the best sense of the word. She is giving a young man on the verge of loss a platform from which to appeal to the conscience of a generous nation, as well as to a President who should listen and respond.
To become President, Hillary will need to be, by necessity, very 'clever'.

Ruth wrote: Doesn't suprise me at all. The reason that the WTC was not allowed to be 'pulled' in such a manner was primarily because of the aspestos.

Peg here:
Use of asbestos was beginning to be regulated (or was supposed to be) in 1970, fazed out by ‘79
WTC completion date for building 1 was 1972, for building 2, 1973
By the time WTC was started, asbestos was already being regulated and they were aware of the health risks. Granted, there was asbestos in the WTC, but there was also mercury, cement, fiberglass and lead loosed into the atmosphere around NY.

Ruth:
The thing is, buildings do have a 'use by' date and when the cost of demolishing the building (legally - which in the case of aspestos, tends to be very expensive) exceeds the revenue or return being generated from the building - this does not represent a very good investment. I think 'Lucky Larry' would have known about that.

Peg:
I have never heard of a “use by

mudrabbit said:
Peg:
Why do you say NYC came out fairly well? People are coming down with respiratory problems, some of which the likes have never been seen. Asbestos certainly is a factor, but so is lead, mercury, cement dust and anything else that got pulverized. Fiberglass is quite deadly if the shards are inhaled and left untreated. Fiberglass is used extensively here for insulation. Not to mention the amount of people that left, causing long lasting effects in the real estate business.
Sorry, I meant the Port Authority of New York as well as the State of New York.

Built for an enormous amount of money between 1966 and 1970 by the Port Authority of the State of New York, the Twin Towers were intended to house in one complex a great many foreign financial institutions and to provide everything that their managers, employees and clients might need (hotels, restaurants, shops, movie theaters, etc. etc). Despite the novelty of being the tallest buildings in the world -- a distinction that only lasted until 1976, when the Sears Tower was built in Chicago -- the Twin Towers were always money-losers as rental properties and required huge subsidies (tens of millions of dollars a year) from the State of New York to remain solvent. Because all of the windows in both towers were sealed up tight, and because neither tower was equipped to take advantage of its unique potential to generate power using the wind or solar energy, the WTC complex was ludicrously costly to heat and light. Furthermore, visiting business men and women weren't satisfied to remain within the WTC's purportedly self-sufficient universe, and wished to venture (and shop and do business) outside of it. In the 1980s, advances in information and telecommunication technologies decentralized the financial markets, which in turn "rolled back" the necessity for foreign institutions to be in close physical proximity to each other, Wall Street and the rest of lower Manhattan, which is precisely what the gigantic size and centralized location of the Twin Towers were intended to provide.

In New York City, obsolete buildings are infrequently saved, whatever their historical or architectural interest. Most often, they are simply torn down and replaced. The only thing that saved the Twin Towers from demolition was the fact that they were filled with asbestos, which would be released into the air if the buildings were destroyed by controlled explosions. In 2000, the Port Authority calculated that it would cost $1 billion -- i.e., much more money than the Port Authority could afford to spend -- to remove the asbestos before the buildings were destroyed. And so the Port Authority was stuck with the Twin Towers, that is, until 26 April 2001, when it found a consortium of business interests (Westfield America, led by Larry Silverstein, the owner of the building at 7 World Trade Center) that was willing to lease the property. Supposed to last for 99 years, the $3.2 billion lease mandated that the Port Authority continue to pay taxes on the property. "This is a dream come true," Silverstein said at the 23 July 2001 celebration of the lease's signing. "We will be in control of a prized asset, and we will seek to develop its potential, raising it to new heights."
Taken from here:
http:(2slsh)www(dot)notbored(dot)org/wtc.html

Back
Top Bottom