Iceland 'Lake Monster'

Tigersoap

The Living Force
I just watched this video about the Iceland 'Lake Monster'.
Looks like a genuine snake thing moving but what do you guys think ?

_http://www.icelandreview.com/icelandreview/daily_news/Video_Iceland_'Lake_Monster'_Captured_on_Film__0_387066.news.aspx

People speculate whether this may be the notorious snake-like monster Lagarfljótsormurinn, which is said to reside in the lake Lagarfljót.

The video was taken by Hjörtur Kjerúlf and posted on ruv.is.

Lagarfljótsormurinn is Iceland’s equivalent to Scotland’s Loch Ness monster. It was first mentioned in sources dating back to 1345. According to legend, it was at first a tiny worm which was placed on a ring of gold to make the gold grow.

When the owner of the ring returned she noticed to her great terror that the worm had grown immensely but not the gold. She tossed the ring and worm into Lagarfljót where the worm continued to grow.

Whether Hjörtur’s video is indeed evidence of the existence of the legendary monster is debatable; skeptics believe it shows a torn fishing net which blew into the river where it froze.

When the river cleared itself of ice the net came loose and the “worm” wriggled its way through the water.

The video quality is pretty poor - taken on a mobile phone? - but the movements of the 'creature' seem a bit too deliberate to be a drifting fishing net. In the close-ups it looks very much like it has a snake's head, but if you pause the video it becomes much more difficult to make out. The shape is only apparent when its moving, at least that is my impression. Is it the real thing? I think we would need a better quality video to be able to decide definitively, but it is very suggestive, OSIT.

As is usual with these phenomena, they seem to only show themselves when circumstances prohibit good quality recordings, as if the phenomenon knows that it won't be photographed or filmed clearly enough to enable people to make a definite assessment.

At one point it did look sort of like a python or anaconda (the head) briefly-but after watching a few more times it looked more like a bunch of garbage bags or something- there are a lot of peculiar flat spots and irregular humps that just don't seem very "snake" like...except the fact it seems to move against the current in a very sinuous snake like way under it's own power. Curious indeed

To me the move of the body is too mechanical, more like maschine, or robot. It could be some students joke.

Kaigen said:
To me the move of the body is too mechanical, more like maschine, or robot. It could be some students joke.

I agree, as well, the surface of the back of "monster" doesn't correspond to other water serpents/snakes which have smooth skin for streamline movement through the water.

I've seen this story/video on the national media and local media for three days in a row! The latest story includes a shot of the amateur photographer, Hjortur Kjerulf, pretending to film the oddity, as if the news crew were there while he was capturing the footage....very odd.

warning :offtopic:
Meanwhile, in comparison, there have been very FEW TO NO stories in US news of the record cold snap and mounting deaths from the cold currently hitting Europe; almost seems like a black out, when usually these extreme weather stories have the major networks drooling at the mic.

Meanwhile, in comparison, there have been very FEW TO NO stories in US news of the record cold snap and mounting deaths from the cold currently hitting Europe; almost seems like a black out, when usually these extreme weather stories have the major networks drooling at the mic.

I agree. We finally got some snow here in the north-east US. I had to shovel twice, yesterday and again this afternoon. The only mention was that we were receiving the tail end of a cold snap headed for Europe.Monday it is back to the mid 30s F. I had started to call it the winter that wasn't.

Back
Top Bottom