I started writing on Substack

luc

Ambassador
Ambassador
FOTCM Member
I have been considering publishing some of my writing for some time, but never was quite clear where, how, what concept etc.

To remedy this, I have now created a Substack page/newsletter and plan to write and publish something every Sunday, for at least six months, and see where this goes. I have chosen Substack rather than a personal blog because it's super easy and I don't need to obsess over design etc., and most importantly, Substack is not just a blog platform, but sort of its own social media/community thingie where hopefully a few people may find out about it who are interested in the topics I write about.

I'm planning to write mostly about philosophy, religion, and some more self-helpy things, that sort of thing. For now, I want it to be a bit playful/free-flowing and "shoot from the hip" style, but with an academic slant. But who knows where it goes. Perhaps I will get some feedback and can adjust course in the process.

I just published the first post with the sensationalist title: "What the Postmodernism Debate Is REALLY All About"

If you subscribe, you can expect titles like:
  • SOLVED: The Problem of Evil
  • David Chalmers' MOST Fascinating Statement: Are There Zombies Among Us??
  • Why "Make Money Online" Is the Work of the Devil
  • The Fallacy To Rule Them All
  • Richard Dawkins BUSTED: Does He Believe in Demons!?
Well... I hope the content will have a bit more substance than the titles suggest :)

So here it is: luctalks.substack.com

Subscribe if you like, and please tell me should I go off the rails!! :lol:

The titles are already very appetizing!
Just a little remark: in the sentence "It leads to the sort of Scientism that seeks salvation in a technocratic class of unaccountable scientist-priests", "It" refers to the disaster of ignoring the third option, but in my naive reading it is not made clear. It may look to some readers maybe that "It" still refers to third option.

Just subscribed!

I have called it “Souled Thought”, the top of the triangle. Maybe we can call it lived subtlety, or embodiment of depth, or living the souled life in everything we think and do.

It doesn’t matter what we call it. It is the only way forward.
Your thoughts on "What the Postmodernism Debate Is REALLY All About" on what you call "Souled thought" in your first article are very instructive to me. Especially the sketch that summarizes it visually.

Oh that is wonderful Luc!

Just subscribed myself, looking forward to more of your writing. :)

Maybe if some of them become really popular you could even turn them into video essays, should you need help with that, I volunteer to help you out, I realize I might be jumping the gun but, I figured I'd throw it out there.

Best of luck!

I‘m happy to see you publish your writings Luc!

I‘ve always enjoyed your articles on SOTT and your reviews (i.e. your review on FPTM) and I always wonder how some people are so skillful with words; my only conclusion is that you have to be well read and to have a bit of skill.

Anyway, with your knowledge and your skill to present a complex philosophical topic in a terms easily understood, I find your articles very inspiring and I‘m looking forward to your next paper!

Great job Luc! :thup:

I subscribed and liked your post. I'm not going to write you comments because I'm such a moron when it comes to communication through social media. Just look at my comments here :-[.Very charming triangle you have drawn. Reminds me of my 13y.o. son's recent geometry homeworks:lol:. I'd love to see more of your work. Thank you.

Thank you Luc and success with your writings. It is good to know access to reality from where others can express them and share them in a broader, more meaningful and applicable way. Even if it is little in some and they don't feel confident to start, at least start as an internal exercise, writing helps a lot.

I usually read PIERCING THE VEIL OF REALITY, by Bernhard Guenther and now subscribed to your reading, best wishes to you. I want read Why "Make Money Online" Is the Work of the Devil.

Hey congratulations on making the resolution Luc. Publishing something every Sunday for six months means almost 25 articles, and is there a minimum length for those? Will you just be writing about whatever's rolling around in your head, or do you have a specific target audience in mind? Forumites? SOTT readers? The general substack community or a particular niche there? Each will definitely have different types of presuppositions and questions going into a given article, so like Collingwood said keeping the (theoretical) question in mind may help your writing process.

Hey congratulations on making the resolution Luc. Publishing something every Sunday for six months means almost 25 articles, and is there a minimum length for those? Will you just be writing about whatever's rolling around in your head, or do you have a specific target audience in mind? Forumites? SOTT readers? The general substack community or a particular niche there? Each will definitely have different types of presuppositions and questions going into a given article, so like Collingwood said keeping the (theoretical) question in mind may help your writing process.

Thanks Whitecoast, these are good questions. I do tend to lose myself in conceptual things a bit though and then end up not doing anything, so part of this project is also to just commit myself to keep writing. I see it in large part as something I'm doing for myself at the moment, because writing really helps to refine one's thoughts, and I can already see the effect of that. I hope as well that I will get better over time with writing (after all, I need practice, and these days I think it can be useful to "practice in public" so to speak).

That being said, for the moment I feel I want to keep the topics more on the philosophical side and thus not fully engage in the culture wars and too-controversial issues. That's partly because others do a great job at that already and there's not much point delivering a second-rate version of that. Rather I'd like to find out if I have to offer something unique (and what it is), even if it's small niche. Generally, I guess there is not much new under the sun when it comes to the "big questions", but there are unique perspectives and ways of communicating it. What I'm interested in is to take the Cs' cosmology and philosophy as an inspiration, and think things through in terms of more down-to-earth philosophical (and possibly scientific) arguments, hopefully gaining some insights in the process... Again, let's see where it goes, if anywhere!

I am very excited to read more of your writing and have subscribed today. I admire your way of translating complex ways of thinking into a language that also gives access to people who have not yet dealt with it. You are doing great and I look forward to more!

Back
Top Bottom