I am flying to Mexico soon :(

Oaxaca is currently restricted by the red traffic light. Which means mandatory mask at all times and that only essential economic activities are allowed.

In Oaxaca there have only been 4,000 deaths from covid in a year and a half. But the authorities are very draconian.

Outside of this, Oaxaca is a quiet and very beautiful place. Enjoy it.

This may interest you so that you do not have a bad time.

Are you planning to visit Oaxaca? Don't let go of your mask or you could go to jail
San Pedro Mixtepec returned to a red epidemiological traffic light due to the increase in infections by COVID-19.
Tourists will be required to wear face masks in Puerto Escondido, Oaxaca.

Freddy Gil Pineda, municipal president of San Pedro Mixtepec, Oaxaca, one of the municipalities that belongs to Puerto Escondido, declared the use of face masks mandatory and imposed a three-hour jail sentence on anyone who does not comply with this measure.

This rule was implemented after the region returned to a red epidemiological traffic light due to the increase in infections by COVID-19, coupled with the shortage of oxygen tanks and the high demand for hospital care.

¿Planeas visitar Oaxaca? No sueltes tu cubrebocas o podrías ir a la cárcel

As far as the return "test" goes:

When we last flew to the u.s from Mexico a few months ago, we simply visited a clinic in town and paid the roughly $40 for the Antigen Test. (PCR is $200-ish and can throw false-positives).

I explained that my nose was sensitive and not to put the plastic thingy in too far. He obliged. Took 10 minutes. (And he gave me the plastic thingy. Which, after study, we concluded it was.....just a plastic thingy)

Those tests are notorious for throwing out false-negatives. We haven't heard of anyone getting a "positive" and we have lots of friends who travel between the 2 countries. It would also be bad for business, tourism-wise.

You might consider avoiding doing said test at the airport though. They are known for being far less careful with your nasal passages.

Safe travels.

Last edited:
As far as the return "test" goes:

When we last flew to the u.s from Mexico a few months ago, we simply visited a clinic in town and paid the roughly $40 for the Antigen Test. (PCR is $200-ish and can throw false-positives).

I explained that my nose was sensitive and not to put the plastic thingy in too far. He obliged. Took 10 minutes. (And he gave me the plastic thingy. Which, after study, we concluded it was.....just a plastic thingy)

Those tests are notorious for throwing out false-negatives. We haven't heard of anyone getting a "positive" and we have lots of friends who travel between the 2 countries. It would also be bad for business, tourism-wise.

You might consider avoiding doing said test at the airport though. They are known for being far less careful with your nasal passages.

Safe travels.

My sister is arranging to have it done by a mobile team at the hotel. Everyone will be getting the test at the same time.

Maybe I could arrange it so that I am last and they will rush it? :)

My sister is arranging to have it done by a mobile team at the hotel. Everyone will be getting the test at the same time.

Maybe I could arrange it so that I am last and they will rush it? :)
I have a nomadic friend (she's currently in Greece) who utilizes this protocol for taking PCR tests. About half an hour to an hour before the test, she rinses her nasal passages and throat with a warm saline solution. If she's doing a self test, she runs the swab around the inside of her nostril, but not into the sinus cavity itself. If someone else administers the test, she tells them she has sinus problems and requests a throat swab instead. She's taken probably a dozen tests in the past year, and she always comes up negative.

About two and a half months ago, my younger sister announced her plans to marry her longtime fiance.

They decided to get 'married' in Oaxaca, Mexico. I put that in quotes because they have actually already been married by a justice of the peace here in America to avoid having blood tests in Mexico.

I was very torn about attending, but since I don't get to see my family very often I decided to make the possibly harrowing journey. My 80+ father will be there and I haven't seen him in over two years and I may not get many other chances to be around him.

Obviously, I have some pretty serious concerns about the trip.

There are the in-your-face concerns of air travel (lots of people freaking out on planes these days) and keeping myself healthy in a foreign country and the chance of, possibly, contracting Covid while there which would result in a minimum of two weeks of quarantine in Mexico. We will be required to take a Covid test in order to return to the States.

Then there are my more personal concerns.

My family, for the most part, are very much enthralled by the State and believe pretty much anything they're told by the government. My older sister is excited to get the vaccine (if she hasn't received it already) and I really don't know how the rest of my family feels about it as I have avoided getting into that discussion with them. They are mostly protestant Christians and fairly close minded to new ideas and spiritual concepts. I have learned over the years to keep my most treasured believes and practices veiled so as not to create a wedge between us. I have always been 'fringe' to them. I am a bit concerned that I may have some seriously negative interactions with some of them in regards to what is transpiring in the world and why it is happening.

I am seeking any advice that you, the kind and knowledgeable members, can provide to me. I have already begun a vitamin supplement regimen and I practice Éiriú-Eolas techniques. I will be leaving next Wednesday, July 28 and will be returning (hopefully!) on August 3rd.

(I just noticed that I misspelled quarantine in the tags, is there a way to edit that?)
Hi! There I'm from México , and I can tell You, that despite the Bad propaganda that your Country transmit from México ,is not more dangerous that other Countries.. ...if You think that maybe You are going to get sick? Don't go....🤷🏼

Hi! There I'm from México , and I can tell You, that despite the Bad propaganda that your Country transmit from México ,is not more dangerous that other Countries.. ...if You think that maybe You are going to get sick? Don't go....🤷🏼

I know that I could just decide to not go, but I feel I have an obligation. I'm not to concerned with getting sick as I have a very strong constitution, I am just concerned about getting quarantined.

I think that we have come up with a solution for that, though.

So, I received a text message from my older sister today. She's not the one getting married. I will transcribe a bit here, just to showcase how my family feels about things. Bear in mind that I leave for Mexico in three days...

Her: Hi! Are you vaccinated?

Me: Hello. No I am not. Are you?

Her: Yes. Are you not doing it?

Me: Both shots? (Here I'm trying to avoid her question)

Her: Yes. Pls get it. Delta variant is very aggressive and Mexico has a ton of Covid.

Me: Then why are we going to Mexico?

Her: Great question. (When my younger sister first announced her plans I mentioned to my older sister that I thought this was a bad idea)

Me: I seem to remember saying that this wasn't a great idea

Her: Definitely not the best idea but it's not as dangerous if you have the vaccine

Me: I understand. Which vaccine did you get?

Her: Pfizer. Jay (her husband) had Moderna. No problem. Can you go today? At least get one shot?

Me: I'll look into it.

Her: 👍

Hi MikhaEL, I am a freelance floral designer with over 20 years experience. I've seen a lot of family dynamics play out at weddings. The good (rare). The bad (common). And the ugly (always at the reception with alcohol involved). I have a suggestion for you regarding the idea of "no covid talk" for your family visit.

Frame the idea of "no covid talk" as a gift for the bride and groom. "Weddings were stressful enough before, just imagine what they had to go through to pull this off" "the world has been through hell for 18 months, it's been hard for everyone. I want my sister to remember her wedding as a joyous celebration with family and friends in a beautiful location. Not that it happened during a pandemic." "We're not ignoring covid, we still have to mask up when we go out, but we don't have to talk about while we're here." "I want my sister to be able to relax and enjoy her wedding".

Set the example you want others to follow. "I'm not going to discuss anything covid for the duration of the trip because we all need a break. A vacation from the stress of dealing with it." Sometimes people unknowingly just need permission. Give them the permission to choose not to discuss covid. Some of your relatives may even be relieved by your suggestion!

I don't know if these suggestions would work with your family dynamics. I think creative solutions can found. Focus on the couple, after all, they are the reason you are all there!

I wish you well, have a safe and enjoyable trip!

Ps I hope you get to spend some one-on-one time with your father.

Hi MikhaEL, I am a freelance floral designer with over 20 years experience. I've seen a lot of family dynamics play out at weddings. The good (rare). The bad (common). And the ugly (always at the reception with alcohol involved). I have a suggestion for you regarding the idea of "no covid talk" for your family visit.

Frame the idea of "no covid talk" as a gift for the bride and groom. "Weddings were stressful enough before, just imagine what they had to go through to pull this off" "the world has been through hell for 18 months, it's been hard for everyone. I want my sister to remember her wedding as a joyous celebration with family and friends in a beautiful location. Not that it happened during a pandemic." "We're not ignoring covid, we still have to mask up when we go out, but we don't have to talk about while we're here." "I want my sister to be able to relax and enjoy her wedding".

Set the example you want others to follow. "I'm not going to discuss anything covid for the duration of the trip because we all need a break. A vacation from the stress of dealing with it." Sometimes people unknowingly just need permission. Give them the permission to choose not to discuss covid. Some of your relatives may even be relieved by your suggestion!

I don't know if these suggestions would work with your family dynamics. I think creative solutions can found. Focus on the couple, after all, they are the reason you are all there!

I love this. I was thinking along the same lines. I almost texted my sister this exact sentiment, but I will wait until we are face to face.

I know how it is with all your family members , believe in the V💉I'm the only one Who don't ..(sisters brother nephews nieces etc.) Friends ! But I don't talk about it, ..I'm not against their beliefs, But as always I'm the rare of the family ,what can I do? I'm what I'm.💜

About two and a half months ago, my younger sister announced her plans to marry her longtime fiance.

They decided to get 'married' in Oaxaca, Mexico. I put that in quotes because they have actually already been married by a justice of the peace here in America to avoid having blood tests in Mexico.

I was very torn about attending, but since I don't get to see my family very often I decided to make the possibly harrowing journey. My 80+ father will be there and I haven't seen him in over two years and I may not get many other chances to be around him.

Obviously, I have some pretty serious concerns about the trip.

There are the in-your-face concerns of air travel (lots of people freaking out on planes these days) and keeping myself healthy in a foreign country and the chance of, possibly, contracting Covid while there which would result in a minimum of two weeks of quarantine in Mexico. We will be required to take a Covid test in order to return to the States.

Then there are my more personal concerns.

My family, for the most part, are very much enthralled by the State and believe pretty much anything they're told by the government. My older sister is excited to get the vaccine (if she hasn't received it already) and I really don't know how the rest of my family feels about it as I have avoided getting into that discussion with them. They are mostly protestant Christians and fairly close minded to new ideas and spiritual concepts. I have learned over the years to keep my most treasured believes and practices veiled so as not to create a wedge between us. I have always been 'fringe' to them. I am a bit concerned that I may have some seriously negative interactions with some of them in regards to what is transpiring in the world and why it is happening.

I am seeking any advice that you, the kind and knowledgeable members, can provide to me. I have already begun a vitamin supplement regimen and I practice Éiriú-Eolas techniques. I will be leaving next Wednesday, July 28 and will be returning (hopefully!) on August 3rd.

(I just noticed that I misspelled quarantine in the tags, is there a way to edit that?)
You would be wise to equip yourself with oil of oregano in case you feel a "bug" coming on. A drop under the tongue for 30 seconds then expel three times a day till the feeling passes. Alternatively you can put a few drops in water and drink. Vitamin C, Zinc. These is precautionary for a few reasons. Air pressure changes and humidity changes can cause immune disturbances. There's also the chance you might encounter a bug on the plane. Nothing to worry about but as they say. Knowledge is protection.

You would be wise to equip yourself with oil of oregano in case you feel a "bug" coming on. A drop under the tongue for 30 seconds then expel three times a day till the feeling passes. Alternatively you can put a few drops in water and drink. Vitamin C, Zinc. These is precautionary for a few reasons. Air pressure changes and humidity changes can cause immune disturbances. There's also the chance you might encounter a bug on the plane. Nothing to worry about but as they say. Knowledge is protection.
Excellent advice.

I'm back now and Covid negative, I was on a high dose vitamin C regimen ( around 2,500 Mg a day). I took an Airborne gummy in the mornings and Emergen-C before bed everyday. A couple of times I double dosed on the Airborne.

More about Airborne and Emergen-C here: Airborne vs Emergen-C: Ingredients, Purported Benefits & Effectiveness

I actually knew about the Oil of Oregano trick but forgot to stock up before I left.

Knowledge is protection.

Btw, I will be posting about my travel experience in the Travelogue thread.

Back
Top Bottom