I am flying to Mexico soon :(

Mikha'El

Jedi
About two and a half months ago, my younger sister announced her plans to marry her longtime fiance.

They decided to get 'married' in Oaxaca, Mexico. I put that in quotes because they have actually already been married by a justice of the peace here in America to avoid having blood tests in Mexico.

I was very torn about attending, but since I don't get to see my family very often I decided to make the possibly harrowing journey. My 80+ father will be there and I haven't seen him in over two years and I may not get many other chances to be around him.

Obviously, I have some pretty serious concerns about the trip.

There are the in-your-face concerns of air travel (lots of people freaking out on planes these days) and keeping myself healthy in a foreign country and the chance of, possibly, contracting Covid while there which would result in a minimum of two weeks of quarantine in Mexico. We will be required to take a Covid test in order to return to the States.

Then there are my more personal concerns.

My family, for the most part, are very much enthralled by the State and believe pretty much anything they're told by the government. My older sister is excited to get the vaccine (if she hasn't received it already) and I really don't know how the rest of my family feels about it as I have avoided getting into that discussion with them. They are mostly protestant Christians and fairly close minded to new ideas and spiritual concepts. I have learned over the years to keep my most treasured believes and practices veiled so as not to create a wedge between us. I have always been 'fringe' to them. I am a bit concerned that I may have some seriously negative interactions with some of them in regards to what is transpiring in the world and why it is happening.

I am seeking any advice that you, the kind and knowledgeable members, can provide to me. I have already begun a vitamin supplement regimen and I practice Éiriú-Eolas techniques. I will be leaving next Wednesday, July 28 and will be returning (hopefully!) on August 3rd.

(I just noticed that I misspelled quarantine in the tags, is there a way to edit that?)

If your 80 year old pops can handle it, I think you can too! I love Mexico. Do remember that Oaxaca is a hot bed of anti-govt revolutionary sentiment. So there may be more like minded people there than you realize. And if you get locked down? Go to the beach! See some ancient ruins! Don’t be stupid but don’t be fearful either. That’s my 20 centavos.

If your 80 year old pops can handle it, I think you can too! I love Mexico. Do remember that Oaxaca is a hot bed of anti-govt revolutionary sentiment. So there may be more like minded people there than you realize. And if you get locked down? Go to the beach! See some ancient ruins! Don’t be stupid but don’t be fearful either. That’s my 20 centavos.
I have my doubts about my father's health in making this journey.

I wasn't aware that Oaxaca was so anti-govt, that eases my mind about potential government interventions.

I've already planned to rent a car and drive across the border if it comes down to a quarantine situation. It's strange to me that America does not require a negative Covid test to drive or walk across the border.

I don't really have the funds to spend three weeks in Mexico and I have responsibilities here at home that would make that prohibitive. Also, the quarantine protocols would not allow me to leave my hotel room, I believe.

I appreciate your comment!

The Covid measures in Mexico are relaxed, at least for now; even my 92-year-old grandma has been doing her life rather normally in the city since all the madness started, so don't worry too much about it.

Mexico has received a lot of American tourists for the summer holidays, and you don't need much to enter the country:

Measures that you should take into account for your next trip to Mexico

You can fill the form before your trip here.

My family, for the most part, are very much enthralled by the State and believe pretty much anything they're told by the government. My older sister is excited to get the vaccine (if she hasn't received it already) and I really don't know how the rest of my family feels about it as I have avoided getting into that discussion with them. They are mostly protestant Christians and fairly close minded to new ideas and spiritual concepts. I have learned over the years to keep my most treasured believes and practices veiled so as not to create a wedge between us. I have always been 'fringe' to them. I am a bit concerned that I may have some seriously negative interactions with some of them in regards to what is transpiring in the world and why it is happening.

Just go along with it with external consideration in mind. Say nothing that can create unnecessary friction or a tense environment for you and others, there's no need. Better to stick to the usual chat and enjoy. And if they ask you about any hot topic, just change the subject or go along with them.

Eyes open without fear or angst. Enjoy the trip and the party!

It is also possible to fly to TJ for Super cheap and walk across if need be. There is a direct connection Walkway from the tJ airport to the USA. That would be the fastest least expensive way. Perhaps the same is possible at another border airport if San Diego does not work as a backup plan

Taking a rental car across the border from Mex to USA sounds like a Very expensive no no. And that would be one heck of a long drive! The 2nd class buses going 75mph with a windshield full of Christos, Rosaries And Guadalupes On the winding mountain roads will change your mind!! The domestic Mexican flight is the way to go.

It sounds like you could “out-Christian” them. Have faith, it’s all in gods hands, be not afraid etc on those inner matters. That might even be a service to them.

I find so many Christians lack their own faith when these issues of fear and practical “safety” / “who do you put your faith in” Come up. It’s a lovely spanner in the works to behold. Follow your own path, of course.

Taking a rental car across the border from Mex to USA sounds like a Very expensive no no. And that would be one heck of a long drive! The 2nd class buses going 75mph with a windshield full of Christos, Rosaries And Guadalupes On the winding mountain roads will change your mind!! The domestic Mexican flight is the way to go.
While the car rental rates in Mexico are much cheaper than the US, not only is that a really long hard drive, it is not safe! You would have to travel through several areas controlled by rival cartels. No bueno!

Ok, so I won't rent a car, lol. Makes total sense to me and I hadn't considered it in those terms. If anything I would take @BHelmet 's advice and get a cheap plane flight to TJ and walk across.

I have made the trip into and out of TJ many times and feel comfortable with that route.

Just go along with it with external consideration in mind. Say nothing that can create unnecessary friction or a tense environment for you and others, there's no need. Better to stick to the usual chat and enjoy. And if they ask you about any hot topic, just change the subject or go along with them.

Eyes open without fear or angst. Enjoy the trip and the party!

That makes sense to me.

Hi Mikha'El, Oaxaca is beautiful, it has many archeological sites.

Just some comments, I hope they are useful, I am from Mexico, and especially because unfortunately insecurity is a big problem in most of the territory, in some cases you can't trust the local police, that sometimes are associated with the cartels. So you are left to the luck to take care of yourself and take care of each other in the traveling group. It is best to always go out in a group, not to isolate yourself, not to go out alone at midnight, not even to the corner store. Women are also more vulnerable targets, never go out alone.
If you want to change cash, or currency, investigate a safe establishment, because even at the airport in Mexico City, they can give you fake bills (That happened to me once a long time ago).

In general it is best to act with caution, central and southern Mexico are beautiful, for sure if you are always aware of your surroundings you will be fine, people in general in Mexico are kind and friendly, just be aware, or if you feel it, do some research about the locality before you go in various aspects.
have a good trip!!

I took a trip to Costa Rica last month flying by way of Florida and Texas and was surprised at how normal everything was. I gritted my teeth as I entered the airport because according to "federal law" masks are mandatory and they can throw you out or fine you a lot of money for noncompliance. This was going to be a real challenge for me because I've never worn a mask for more than 2 minutes at a stretch during this whole "pandemic."

So I strapped on my N95 like a good little authoritarian follower and walked in. Indeed a majority of the people were wearing masks, but a sizable minority were not. I got behind a group of Floridians who were totally maskless and thought to myself, "screw it." Being still slightly wary of the loudspeaker blaring, "Masks must be worn on the premises at all times," I decided to hedge my bets a bit and wear my mask in what I call the "fashionable chin strap accessory" position. Everything went well until we got to the TSA checkpoint, where the lady informed us in a slightly contemptuous tone that no one would be allowed to proceed past this point unless we were wearing our masks in the proper manner, while pointing to the CDC poster on how to wear a mask. So I put my mask back on to go through the scanners and get my pat down, after which point my compatriots put theirs back in their bags and mine went back below my nose. After I arrived at the departure area waiting for a plane, I sat in a spot that was fairly socially distanced and, rebel that I am, wondered if anyone would say anything if I took my mask off completely. So I put my mask on the table and sat there for about an hour, making eye contact with several official-looking guys patrolling around. No one cared.

We then started boarding the plane and the person checking us in read off a script about masks being mandatory during the flight and how refusal basically voided one's boarding rights and could lead to civil penalties. This sounded pretty serious, so everybody put their masks on. We went through this whole spiel about how the masks were only allowed to come off when we were eating or drinking and had to be replaced between bites or sips. This elicited a few eye-rolls, but I got onto the plane and thought to myself "ok I'm not going to be doing anything but sitting here, so I ought to be able to handle this." After about half an hour, it was just like, "Nope!" I remembered the trick about drinking something really slowly as a way to get around the mask requirement and got a glass of water. Sometime after I noticed that people definitely weren't doing the between bites and sips thing, and many were wearing their masks below their nose. A few brave souls even had it just dangling around their neck, but I wasn't going to push my luck that much. The flight attendants did not seem very enthusiastic at all about being the mask police, and so I wore my mask over just my mouth for the rest of my flights and pretended to be preoccupied with looking at things outside the window most of the time just in case a "Karen" did stroll by my seat. The "mask mandate" is much more survivable when you only have to wear it over your mouth.

I thought things might be stricter in Texas, because Texas did have an actual mask mandate which had been lifted shortly before I arrived there, but the Texans were almost as cavalier about it as the Floridians. My experience in the southern US is that most people will pretend to enforce the mask mandates as long as you pretend to wear it, and the only people who are really sticklers about it are the TSA agents and the people who check you into your flight. If you go in as an absolute rebel refusenik they will detain you so...pretend to wear it at strategic moments and you won't have to really wear it very much.

In Costa Rica they were pretty strict about wearing the mask properly in the airports and inside supermarkets, and dealing with certain government employees at the national parks could be a pain, but for the most part it was masks off like in Florida. At restaurants you had to wear your mask properly until you got seated at a table after which point you could take it off. I actually found this "walk in mask on, sit down mask off" policy rather comical; it's so obvious the people who make these kinds of rules are just pulling it out of their ass as they go along in a half-hearted attempt to appease the WHO godling wannabes.

I feel kind of strange and a little guilty, living in a sort of parallel reality where Covid-19 almost never happened, but these little vestiges of it intrude on my life from time to time.

Last edited:
Hi Mikha'El,

I would treat this trip as a form of act, be prepared, bring a mask and be ready to wear it and see if you can push the boundaries a bit here and there. I know a few people who have traveled to Mexico this year and have gone and returned without much issue, I do think it's mostly what they want us to feel, insecure about traveling. At least that's how they attempt to control the people who would rebel. In practice it might be a mixed situation, and not as scary as they make it sound.

I would plan accordingly, see if you can find a flexible date flight just in case your test gets in the way. I would also advise against driving through northern Mexico for the reasons stated above and other than that, try to have a lovely time there. I've been to Mexico a few times and have truly enjoyed myself.

Regarding your family, my best advise would be to avoid the topic altogether, although if they push, I would say something along the lines of, yeah I have my appointment after I get back to the US or I'll book it once I get back. No need to push your ideas on them, but there's no need to create opportunities for them to push theirs on you either. You are all there to celebrate the nuptials of your daughter and that's where the focus of your visit ought to be, I would imagine.

Thank you all so much for the comments! I will take that you have said to heart and look forward to this trip.

I love to travel and the moratorium that has restricted my movements over the last year and a half has definitely taken a toll.

The wedding party is making a trip to Monte Alban and I have been researching that site fairly extensively. I know that I will enjoy that part of the trip very much.

@Alejo : Your words resonated with me and I appreciate you taking the time to write them.

Do remember that Oaxaca is a hot bed of anti-govt revolutionary sentiment.
Plus like many states in Mexico the Narco Cartel's lurk in the shadow's requiring an extra level of Vigilance. Just say-in!
Not to be a Debbie downer!

Is Oaxaca safe? | Fredonia.edu

3 JUN 2021
The eastern state of Veracruz has been at the center of attacks on politicians. Since September, it has seen 117 acts of violence, including 16 politicians murdered, about one-fifth of the total killings nationwide, despite only being the country's eighth-most violent state in terms of overall homicides. Oaxaca had the second-highest number of attacks at 68, just over half the amount in Veracruz.

Back
Top Bottom