I am finally moving the 3 of December 2013

loreta

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Friday I finally bought the tickets for the boat direction Las Palmas de Gran Canaria. And finally we are leaving this little village of 20 inhabitants. We are traveling by car from Salamanca to Cadiz then take the boat. We are my husband, 2 dogs, 2 cats, a canary, some books, some clothes, and myself. The rest will come with boxes later. The trip by boat will last 2 days, 2 nights. There is a special section for animals in the boat.

So now it is too late to change our minds. I am not sure if it is the good decision. Where concerning where to live, where to put some roots I am always lost. Everything started before I was born, my father left Spain before my birth. So it is, in some part, a genetic situation I think. Always changing countries, always looking to something that I am sure I will never find: some place where I would be able to say: here I will stay till the end.

What is sure is that it was important to leave this village that is far away of everything. 4 years living here is enough. I will miss the silence and the peace. Not the people. But it is time to be in another place and not do 40 km just to go to buy a pack of cigarettes. And this just for my Yumas. If I wanted other items I have to do 100 kilometers or more. I need to see people, talk to people, exchange with people, communicate. Here I just communicate by virtual. I have the desire to be near bookshops, museums, cafés, libraries, cinemas. I have the desire to see men and women, children, dogs, cats, humanity. Here everything is so far away. Humanity seems too far away.

I feel a little nervous and insecure and sometimes very strong. My husband is very happy and have regain a sort of energy that surprises me. He have MS but this trip and project gives him a force that is extraordinary. Our Paleo diet helps very much. I think that this diet, thanks to this forum, is the base of our change. And everything else that this forum and SOTT give, also. When you are informed and feel part of a team that is always there like a lighthouse you stop to be lost. So again everything is connected.

I wanted to share this important decision with you. Advises will be welcome. :) Thanks to listen.

Congrats for your decision Loreta! I have been a couple of times with my parents and I have such wonderful memories waking up in the morning with the sun, walking though those endless beaches (some people were with their dogs also) the accent people have (very sweet and polite) And I think tobacco is cheaper there! I hope to come back some day with my boyfriend If we are still alive ;)

You might already know this, but in case you don't: some people I know living there say that sometimes they have problems with the Post and Customs (some sellers don't send their products to Canary islands, and others do it but when you arrive to the post you have to pay a percentage of the product to Customs, there are some forums denouncing this) so It would be a good idea to buy enough stock of whatever you may need Ex. Any diet supplement or any other supplies that may be difficult to find there.

Leonarda said:
Congrats for your decision Loreta! I have been a couple of times with my parents and I have such wonderful memories waking up in the morning with the sun, walking though those endless beaches (some people were with their dogs also) the accent people have (very sweet and polite) And I think tobacco is cheaper there! I hope to come back some day with my boyfriend If we are still alive ;)

You might already know this, but in case you don't: some people I know living there say that sometimes they have problems with the Post and Customs (some sellers don't send their products to Canary islands, and others do it but when you arrive to the post you have to pay a percentage of the product to Customs, there are some forums denouncing this) so It would be a good idea to buy enough stock of whatever you may need Ex. Any diet supplement or any other supplies that may be difficult to find there.

Thanks for this information, Leonarda. I will ask my friend that is living in Canarias. I didn't know about this and it is important, I take a lot of homeopathic products. I will try to take as much as I can with me but they are not eternal. Thanks again.!

You're welcome!

I forgot to add the link where this situation is exposed. The author also explains what you have to do for not paying more to Customs when buying online:

http://ladictaduradelbuenrollo.tumblr.com/post/17159243676

Leonarda said:
You're welcome!

I forgot to add the link where this situation is exposed. The author also explains what you have to do for not paying more to Customs when buying online:

http://ladictaduradelbuenrollo.tumblr.com/post/17159243676

This is a very convenient information, I appreciate very much!

What a good thing is that your desire to move away is coming true. And a new adventure for both of you!. I hope then give us news about how everything is coming out. ;)
A big hug, Loreta! :hug2:

Thanks Forgeron.
Over there I will rent an apartment to a friend of this friend of mine. It is situated in the center of the capital. Then we will look for something out of the city. But for a month or two I wanted to be in the city, be near everything.

In fact living in a village like this one it is very expensive when you think about it. For example: we pay for the Internet connection 60 euros by month. This is due because we live so far away and there is no competition and I am force to take this only company for Internet connection. The connection is excellent but I think a little too expensive. Then I have to take the car for everything. Also I need to change my car tires every six months, that's 500 euros every time and this is because the roads here are really not good. Electricity is expensive also because where we live the windows are small and we don't have much light. And it is very cold, and windy and the house is not very ready for this. To go for everything, doctors, food, a pencil, anything, I have to take my car. And always this feeling that if something happens to me, what will be of my husband? I can not be sick, never.

My worry is for the trip to Cadiz where we have to take the boat. I wanted to leave some days before, maybe 5, to be safe. But I have two cats with me. Also two dogs, but the problem are the cats for their necessities. So I will have to rent a room in a Motel or Hotel that accept animals. I don't know what tranquilizer I should give to my animals, I will ask my homeopath.

My other worry is to leave this house clean and ok. That's another of my obsessions. And time flies like a crazy fly.

loreta
When you are informed and feel part of a team that is always there like a lighthouse you stop to be lost. So again everything is connected.

Beautifully put and I heartily agree.

Best of luck on your new venture.

Great to know there would be at least one member of the forum leaving in Canaria. Nonetheless I think it´s my duty to give you some warnings before you take this definitive step, specially if diet is one of your first priority, as it seems to be the case of your husband and yourself. I´ll resume my own experience that started on Feb. 2010.

MEAT
- Cows/pigs are all fed with fodder and the best I could find is a butcher that feeds his cows with 50% fodder and the rest with non GMO corn, leaves, a mix of dry herbs and bananas. Sometimes he will tell me when the cow he is selling stems from another source who has been eating mostly grass, but there is no way I can check whether they have been eating grains also, which I´m rather sure seeing there is no bio agriculture awareness in this area and also few grass or none during our long lasting summer. Besides, very few cows and pigs enjoy an outdoor space and even if they do there´s no grass available, only during a couple of months depending of the area, at best. Last year I found the only butcher of Canaria who sells grass fed cows from El Hierro island. I can only afford buying twice a year about 5 kgs because it´s expensive. Anyway I prefer pigs and hope their digestive system can cope better than the cows with this kind of nutrition.

- The best meat option would be goats as it´s easier to let them living outdoors. As you surely know by now, this island has a difference in height of nearly 2000 meters. Its highest point stands right in the middle of the island and the distance reaching the sea as the crow flies is very short in whatever direction you´d choose. This means this land is very abrupt, and therefore raising outdoor animals becomes complex. Plus few rain of course.

FISH
- Another good option as well, although expensive. For my part, I can´t have fish more than twice a week, most of the time I crave for pork and is the only way I feel satisfied.

BUTTER AND EGGS
- The only butter that says it is organic is the "VRAI" brand, although the label doesn´t state it stems from grass fed cows, nor does it state it on their website clearly. Besides, I buy it in "AL CAMPO" -AUCHAN in Francia-, and I don´t rely on organic products sold by the big industry. Maybe our French people here knows better.
- No organic eggs are available here. All organic eggs are in fact from corn fed chickens. I have been able to find private chicken owners who raise their chickens outdoor, but the problem is they will always add corn to their meal. That´s because local corn-growing areas are abundant in Canaria. At least, it´s not GMO.

WATER
- Fresh water is only available above 800-1000 meters altitude. Otherwise, you will only get desalinate water, which can´t be consumed. In fact it is so bad that you can´t even wash the food with it. So you will have to buy PLASTIC containers or get it once per week directly at your home through the water company that transports it with vans. If you want to buy water in glass containers, the only options are Eau de Vichy and San Peregrino, very expensive too. Another thing is you can´t have a cold shower/bath unless you put some water in the freezer and let it further melt in the bathtub, which is what I do.

TABACCO
- Thanks god, they finally ended up importing Manitou and American Spirit, both the natural and organic one, no Yuma, sorry Loreta. I once ordered it to Germany but taxes were too high and didn´t order them again. Nonetheless, as Leonarda suggested, it seems there would still be the option of doing the custom clearance yourself, thank you Leonarda.

SUPPLEMENTS
Maybe I´m too pessimist here, but I guess it won´t be that easy to get over the import taxes system, as this guy did in the link offered by Leonarda. I went myself to the custom and also made endless phone calls, an authentic nightmare I tell you.
- I ended up ordering my supplements to US since it´s cheaper than ordering to EU countries! I know that Amazon doesn´t ship here either, but little by little I have been able to find good supplements manufacturers over there in US.

Just ask me if you need advises or info, maybe I can help you and will be happy to do so.

Although I know all I wrote aren´t great news, another thing that comes to my mind is that the universe could have other answers to your quest and who knows then how your diet experience will look like!

Hesperides, I thank you very much for all this information. Do you know if there are Arab butchers somewhere? Or better food in Tenerife? Surely I will need some information/help when arriving there. Is there Homeopathic medication available somewhere? My friend told me yes but I am wondering...

I know for sure sure sure the Paradise does not exist, apart in oneself. And even then, it is mixed with inferno. :evil: So also I am a person who is easy with adaptation. But when is enough is enough and then I wanted to quit. We will see. We are little eaters, and love pig meat. If you accept, when installed in Las Canarias I will need surely your help for some information.

Again, THANK YOU for this insight about Canarias. Happy to know that another member of this forum is there. When the comets will arrive we can take the last drink together. ;D (It is a joke!)

Loreta, regarding your question about Arab butchers, I´ve never encounter one so far, but there are few Arab restaurants and I´ll ask them as soon as I can, since I´m not living right in the center.

Concerning Tenerife, I also had and still have the impression that there should be more probabilities in coming across grass fed cattle because it´s more rainy and also the land has large flat areas as I remember from my travels over there. But even then, the problem remains twofold: one one side, there is still no organic licence for cattle being approved by the autonomous Canary government. I know of some little communities who are after their approval since many years now, but to no avail. Besides, what these communities are asking for still concerns organic grains fed cattle. On the other side, let´s suppose I´d find a private grass fed cattle owner, I doubt he would be interested in managing all the required sanitary documents (my butcher is very angry because of their outrageous laws which are getting tougher by the day) before sending the meat by boat, plus taking in charge the transport as it´s really expensive because the meat then must be frozen (nonsense in a travel that lasts 90 minutes at most). The protests of the Islanders against these kind of abuses always ended in deaf ears; nothing out of the ordinary, I know thank you. So that´s where my hopes relating to Tenerife ended, thinking I´d try again the next time I would travel there; still on my list "to do".

Regarding homeopathy, I´ve seen many adds from clinic, doctors and medicinal herbal shops and you shouldn´t have any issue with that kind of medicine I think. Maybe with some search on Google for Canarias, you could gain a better overview as I never applied this method myself.

If you accept, when installed in Las Canarias I will need surely your help for some information.

Of course, anything that is within my reach!

Again, THANK YOU for this insight about Canarias. Happy to know that another member of this forum is there. When the comets will arrive we can take the last drink together. ;D (It is a joke!)

:lol2: :lol2:

Thank you Hesperides for this information and insights about all of this issue of food. Is a very serious issue, but many issues appear when you move.I am curious to see if there are Arab butchers and I am looking to go to Tenerife for the food.

Well, little by little even if I try to see big.

Today I settle one problem concerning my trip to Cadiz and my stance there with 5 animals. I have found a little house for 5 nights that accept animals. We will be very near the capital and I wanted to leave this village 5 days before the departure in case something happens. Now I have to clean this house, give things, go to the vet for papers, etc. Trivialities but trivialities that can be mountains to climb. Yesterday I give to a man that we know,( a good person who is an animal lover, he have 25 dogs), my books that I will not bring with me. Around 700. The same amount will come by a moving company later, when we will be installed. With me I will bring some 20 books, specially the diaries of Virginia Woolf. :D But some books from the list of this forum, some books about travelers and I have some by Laura in my Kindle. Plus around 300 in the Kindle also. Books are important in my life, a comforting presence. :rolleyes:

I am nervous and take Rescue Remedy very often. But I feel well. I try to see this move like an adventure.

Thanks again Hesperides, you are very gentle.

Congratulations, Loreta,on making this move. Try to look upon it as a great adventure, surely one of many you've had in your lifetime, with new ones awaiting on the horizon. Yes, things are still uncertain right now, but there are so many possibilities out there for you to explore!

I wish you and your husband and furry family members all the best and look forward to updates on this journey.
Be safe and know you have much support here, among friends.

I hope you'll keep us updated on how everything is going as time permits....:-)

FWIW, when we were in Tenerife, we could find in local supermarkets big blocks of really fatty bacon (I mean 90% fat with only a thin layer of meat) really easily (at least in the Puerto Colon area).

Loreta said:
With me I will bring some 20 books, specially the diaries of Virginia Woolf. :D But some books from the list of this forum, some books about travelers and I have some by Laura in my Kindle. Plus around 300 in the Kindle also. Books are important in my life, a comforting presence. :rolleyes:

I'm totally with you on that point! What one would do without books? :)

But while in Tenerife, don't forget to sightsee! There are so many wonderful sights to enjoy! I know it's a classic, but the Teide and its national park truly is something to see. I could not believe the diversity of the fauna and flora for such a small island: you drive up the road to the Teide and it's forests of majestic pines giving you welcome shade, then 10 minutes later, the landscape looks like you are on the moon, with lava fields everywhere on the horizon. Then 15 minutes later, it's sand and rocks like in the middle of the desert. It's really quite amazing.

Then again, maybe I'm just easily bowled over because I come from a flat country which invented rain (Belgium)! :lol:

And then, even if for some this is just a tourists' attraction, you can also see whales and dolphins in the wild! I'm talking pilot whales, not sperm whales, but still, such a wonderful sight! Especially since they are not shy at all. When we went, one was even stopping, and sort of 'standing' in the water to observe us, they're so curious!

loreta said:
But I feel well. I try to see this move like an adventure.

Well, this really does sound like quite an adventure and I wish you all the best in your new life.

loreta said:
I am nervous and take Rescue Remedy very often.

Rescue Remedy is great for stress, but Dr Bach's thought was that one should only use it in emergency situations. He said that one should try to identify the underlying issue or issues and use the relevant remedy.

The following suggestions may be of help.

Walnut is indicated for times of major life changes. Bach wrote that walnut is 'the remedy for those who have decided to take a great step forward in life, to break old conventions, to leave old limits and restrictions and start on a new way.' It assists in adjustment to transition or change, e.g. new surroundings. The keyword for Walnut is 'midwife'.

If the feelings of nervousness are vague and of unknown origin, one would take Aspen. For fears of a known origin one would take Mimulus. If the fearful feeling is something stronger, i.e. terror, one would take Rock Rose.

If feelings of shock arise after the move, you could try Star of Bethlehem. This remedy can be used immediately after the cause of the shock, or even many years later. Dr Bach described Star of Bethlehem as 'the comforter and soother of pains and sorrows'. Its keyword is 'comfort' and it is one of the ingredients in Rescue Remedy.

Back
Top Bottom