How to realize the 7 hermetic principles

Tycho

Jedi Master
Hello,

it would be of great help to know how to train the 7 hermetic principles and integrate them into every-day life. If there are books which are trustworthy and non-misleading or anything else which can help to achieve the integration of the 7 hermetic principles into ones live.

thank you.

// Tycho

What are the 7 hermetic principles?
  1. THE PRINCIPLE OF MENTALISM.
  2. THE PRINCIPLE OF CORRESPONDENCE.
  3. THE PRINCIPLE OF VIBRATION.
  4. THE PRINCIPLE OF POLARITY.
  5. THE PRINCIPLE OF RHYTHM.
  6. THE PRINCIPLE OF CAUSE AND EFFECT.
  7. THE PRINCIPLE OF GENDER.
It's interesting, the Kybalion was also an eye opener for me as well Tycho back in my 20s.

I have a fond memory from those times, of cutting trails through the deep snow on the walking paths during my stay in Red Deer Alberta (back in the mid 2000s). Each weekday morning around 5 AM I'd put on these Dakota Rig Boss Steel Toes and cut a nice wide trail after any fresh snow using just my boots alone to get to work. Some snow falls were past my knees! I'd attack those trails with childish glee. I'd kick and thrash to the music on my mp3 player and I'd ensure I could see a nice little path behind me.

I could see on my way back home all these little foot prints inside the path I'd cut with these monstrous boots I had. These little foot prints from sneakers clearly not equipped to be taking the trail. I'm glad I made their lives easier in some way and gave them a short cut they normally couldn't take without getting frost bite. The walking trails cut through undeveloped and park regions, no roads near by to escape to except a dangerous highway.

Last edited:
I didn't know what these were so, had to look them up and do a bit of reading. I found a good summary from searching the net and posting below.
Source - 7 Hermetic Principles: Laws Of The Universe According To The Kybalion
1. The Principle of Mentalism
“The all is mind; the universe is mental.”

Firstly, the Principle of Mentalism stresses that on the most foundational level, everything in the universe is mental. In a certain sense, the Universe is itself a living mind; one that is connected to all other minds. As such, every action you take and every thought you take is an interaction between different aspects of the mental.

This important Hermetic Principle tells us that we are all one and that our surroundings are an inherent part of us. Once you understand the truth of Mentalism, you begin to grasp how it is that we are capable of shaping our reality using just our thoughts.

Another important lesson drawn from the Principle of Mentalism is that if we think the right thoughts, the right actions will follow. This is a reminder that it is vital to plan carefully, to spend time reflecting on your true passions and identifying your life's purpose. Once you have done so, your thoughts will be aligned with the Universe in such a way as to create the reality you desire.

While there is an important place for intuition (as we will see below), Hermetic teachings emphasize the power of reason and intelligence, cautioning us against impulsive choices.

2. The Principle of Correspondence
“As above, so below, as below, so above. As within, so without, as without, so within.”

At the heart of the Principle of Correspondence is the idea that there are constant links between the mental, physical and spiritual planes. Consequently, if we want to understand the patterns we see in our lives then we must look at all of these aspects.

Implicit in this Principle is the acceptance that we cannot access all planes of existence. However, Hermetic practitioners tend to believe that a keenly honed sense of intuition can help us tap into aspects of the higher and lower planes. Paying attention to gut feelings (such as a seemingly unexplained “pull” towards a person or an event) can help you make more sense of links between your everyday experiences and the higher, spiritual plane.

The Principle of Correspondence is also linked to the idea of repeating patterns, small and large. It is a reminder to consider the repeating themes in your own life and to reflect on the interconnected nature of your mental, physical and spiritual aspects.

For example, low energy in your spiritual life can manifest itself in physical lethargy in your body. On the positive side, practicing daily gratitude rituals can rejuvenate your spiritual side and lead to noticeable improvements in your physical well-being.

3. The Principle of Vibration
“Nothing rests; Everything moves; Everything vibrates.”

Those who are experienced in working with the Law of Attraction will likely already be very familiar with something like the Principle of Vibration. To put it simply, all things carry their own unique energy, on all planes of existence. In fact, even the smallest particle in the universe has a vibrational frequency that impacts on things around it. Crucially, this Principle tells us that high energy things are magnetically drawn towards one another, and are attuned to them on a basic level.

Meanwhile, low energy particles gravitate towards other sources of low energy. So, in order to have a happy, fulfilling life, you will benefit from aiming to become a source of high energy.

It is this understanding of vibration that underlies the Law of Attraction idea that “like attracts like”. If you can increase your own vibrational frequency, you can attract more positive, high energy events, people and possessions into your life. On the other hand, if you get dragged into negativity, it will be hard to attract what you desire. Both expert manifesters and Hermeticists believe that all of our thoughts can be fine-tuned. In this way, we can make our vibrational frequency progressively higher in a way that changes our lives.

4. The Principle of Polarity
“Everything is dual, everything has poles and everything has its pair of opposites; Like and unlike are the same; Opposites are identical in nature, but different in degree; Extremes meet; All truths, are but half-truths; All paradoxes may be reconciled.”

The Hermetic Principle of Polarity tells us that all things in our lives have an opposite and that the resulting contrast is part of what gives our narratives meaning. For example, without knowing what lack feels like, it is difficult to focus on and appreciate abundance; the polarity of life's experiences helps us to avoid taking things for granted.

This Principle is also often taken to mean that everything has a dual nature. So, we all contain love and hate, positivity and negativity, sadness and joy. It is up to us to recognize these contrasts and reflect on what they mean to us. We should use our willpower to align ourselves with the pole that is more helpful in our given situation.

One way to use the Principle of Polarity in your everyday life is to prompt yourself to reflect on contrasts that boost your vibration. For example, for every bad or difficult thing you go through, challenge yourself to remember at least one good thing. Then, notice how your appreciation of the latter is made more potent by having faced previous challenges. In addition, realize that everything that doesn't work well for you helps to point the way towards its opposite; the thing that will work for you.

5. The Principle of Rhythm
“Everything flows, out and in; Everything has its tides; All things rise and fall.”

One of the major things we can learn from the Principle of Rhythm is that everything is in constant motion. There is a pattern to the changes we experience. Everything goes through cycles that move from birth to death and then rebirth. This Principle applies just as much to the Earth's seasons as it does to our bodies. The core idea here can be illustrative with an image of a pendulum. Imagine it constantly swinging back and forth and repeatedly reaching both great highs and great lows. There is a sense of predictability and inevitability attached to this idea. In addition, there is a message that nothing in life is ever still.

The Principle of Rhythm can help you with mindfulness practices that support your Law of Attraction work. In particular, it stresses that nothing is permanent, whether it is good or bad. All that you have is the present moment; fully immersing yourself in each part of your cycle will ensure that you learn and experience the most you possibly can. Focusing on this idea as part of a meditative exercise then helps to distract your mind from ruminations on the past or anxieties about the future.

6. The Principle of Cause and Effect
“Every cause has its effect; Every effect has its cause.”

Sometimes just called the Principle of Causality, the Principle of Cause and Effect describes the way in which all of our actions and experiences relate to other events. In other words, every action instigates a reaction, and nothing should be viewed in isolation. In addition, there is no such thing as pure luck or chance; there is a reason for everything that happens to you. Hermeticism often encourages people to become more active agents in their life. Essentially, you become the “cause” more often than the “effect”. Decide what you want to do and be. The, plan out the precise steps you need to take to attain those goals.

This Principle prompts you to think about the far-reaching impacts of your choices. Plus, it encourages you to address the things that are influencing you (for good or for ill). For example, when you apply the Principle of Causality to your manifestation work, you can use it understand the ways in which the spiritual dimensions of your life can directly influence your surroundings (as well as other people). If you work on creating a richer, more positive inner world, it will instigate positive changes on the outside. Meanwhile, if you are stuck in a negative environment, your inner world will suffer in response.

7. The Principle of Gender
“Gender is in everything; Everything has its masculine and feminine principles.”

The last of the 7 hermetic principles. The principle of gender tells us that the masculine and feminine can be found in everything; not just in people, but in all aspects of the mental, physical and spiritual plane.

However, it's important to note that it isn't necessary to believe in gender stereotypes or to believe in perspective views about gender roles in order to make use of these concepts.

This principle has less to do with biological sex than it has to do with the notion of different masculine and feminine energies. In general terms, the former is thought to be assertive, exploratory and transformative. Meanwhile, the latter is reflective, protective and nourishing. We are at our best when we know how to draw on both energies in an appropriate way.

Followers of Hermetic philosophy typically hold that we are all made up of a blend of these types of energy. The Principle of Gender can be taken as an inspiration for us to find ways to apply and balance our masculine and feminine aspects. An excess of either can lower our vibrational frequency. For example, with too much masculine energy comes recklessness and loss of perspective. On the other hand, too much feminine energy may be correlated with inaction.
In terms to how to go about them, I would suggest to focus more on the recommended reading material which is provided to all new members in their intro posts. I can see some usefulness in the seven principles but they don't appear to go much into the details on how one would go about them i.e. the nitty gritty is missing. And, this could cause someone to apply their personal slant and misinterpret the teachings contained within, which is more dangerous than not knowing about them in the first place. Just my 2 cents.

I could see on my way back home all these little foot prints inside the path I'd cut with these monstrous boots I had. These little foot prints from sneakers clearly not equipped to be taking the trail. I'm glad I made their lives easier in some way and gave them a short cut they normally couldn't take without getting frost bite. The walking trails cut through undeveloped and park regions, no roads near by to escape to except a dangerous highway.

I know there are no "shortcuts" and i am not looking for one. I am looking for a hint on how to find "undistorted" / non misleading information. But sorting this out by yourself is part of the path, right.

You ask, you might get an answer, i did find this today:

You came to the realm of some Philosophy, and wandered aronnd in a maze;
you plucked a leaf and threw it away;
you inhaled the perfume of a flower and passed on;
you gathered a bouquet and tossed itinto the stream
you dabbled your feet inthe water, and washed your face in the dewand then, you entered the front door of a
church and passed out at the rear. You tickled the wings of cupid, and he flew away, and sitting down on a grave you
and the next week, you danced. Sighed Such your life. Now you come to our doors
and knock and we say to you, from behind the lock, of a pin. Can you look at the point
and look and look. Can you on a premise, and think and think rest up conclusion can you pile up facts to the pinnacle of a principle to the facts on can you study on one line to the very end of the question can you act on your conclusion as against the world
can you resist to the and left when straying right you have towards a place or condition can
you keep on aiming with the same stone at the same spot till you hit it.

Can you stay fixed in any kind of pursuit any length of time, or are you a child?

I know there are no "shortcuts" and i am not looking for one. I am looking for a hint on how to find "undistorted" / non misleading information. But sorting this out by yourself is part of the path, right.

Nay, I consider it this way, the teens, or women who took my trail may have had crappy life situations to be forced to walk during the winter season in the land of automobiles through such a harrowing heap of snow in those temperatures.

What was fun to me was also a service to these sneaker clad people. It amplifies the joy I receive from remembering and from pondering the possibility I may do something like this again.

Hi,

unluckily i cant edit my opening posting of this threat. I would like to withdraw this question.

It’s a good question, I took the time to water it because I would have asked something similar in 2010 if I had more of a spine back then.

I also wholeheartedly believe that we effortlessly embody these principles all the time. It’s why we have to be careful and consider the vibrational consequences or ‘cause and effect’ of our intentions. (I tried to write this with my last comment but I was interrupted by a phone call.)

Back
Top Bottom