how to fight mosquitoes

Yes, its an art in itself requiring oodles of patience and gentle movements of the hand😜. And If I find one too pesky, I let my cats loose on them as they are particularly fond of the insects as a little protein snack.
Thanks. Certainly, had not done it with gentle moves nor being that patience, will do next time.

We have struggled with mosquitoes and tried many different things to ease our suffering. I get some horrible reactions in the the last few years, not sure if it is my body that has changed or the skeeters.

spray: The Mercola Bug Spray works so so. It doesn't come out of the bottle well or last too long but is all natural and smells amazing (vanillin, citronella, lemongrass, peppermint).

Plug-ins: I started using the plug in sonic repellants for mice years ago. I haven't noticed any significant impact on anything I have tried these for. We started to have some noisy crickets so I got one recommended by a local Ace Hardware with an adjustable frequency and while I still have that and a few of a different brand in the garage/gym none of them seem to be that effective in my experience for anything.

Clip on dragonfly sound device: discovered these a few years back and the ones we have mimic either a dragonfly or male mosqito sounds. On dragonfly they seem to work outside and inside; it is a little beeper sized device that can be clipped on to clothing. We got extra and put a few around the house for example in the bedroom and bathroom.. the clicking sound can be annoying while trying to sleep but better than waking up itching. They run off of aaa batteries. The brand was crioxen I think. Not that expensive and may be worth a shot.

Spartan Mosqito: These are the latest I've tried. This is the 3rd year of using them. We don't have a lot of property, just a small house and lot, but we fill these containers with water and hang them on the corners of the lot and it has had a significant impact on how many are around the yard. They have to be replaced every 30 days or so and it is best to hang before the season starts as it works by inhibiting the reproductive cycles. I think it is boron based. They changed formulas and the new ones don't last as long (used to be up to 90 days) but are meant to be more reliable.

Good luck with the skeeters everyone. I feel your pain 🙂

11 Plants that act as powerful natural repellents against insects and the specific parasites they deter! Say goodbye to toxic insecticides.
1711702260880.png

1. BASIL (Ocimum basilicum) / Insects Repelled: Mosquitoes, houseflies Basil emits a scent that mosquitoes and houseflies find particularly offensive. Plant basil in pots near doorways or in the garden alongside tomato plants for a pest-free environment.

2. LAVENDER (Lavandula) / Insects Repelled: Moths, fleas, flies, mosquitoes Lavender's soothing scent for humans acts as a repellent for many insects. Its versatility means you can grow it in the garden or use dried lavender to protect wardrobes and linen cupboards.

3. LEMONWOOD (Cymbopogon) / Insects Repelled: Mosquitoes Lemon grass contains citronellal, a natural oil found in commercial mosquito repellents. Plant it in large pots around resting areas to create a mosquito-free zone.

4. MOSQUITO (Tagetes) / Insects Repelled: Mosquitoes, aphids, rabbits The pungent scent of marigolds repels mosquitoes and aphids. They also deter rabbits. Plant marigolds along garden borders for their protective benefits.

5. MINT (Mentha) / Insects Repelled: Mosquitoes, ants, mice The strong scent of mint is unpleasant to mosquitoes and ants. Be careful, as mint can be invasive; consider planting it in pots to control its spread.

6. CATTLE (Nepeta cataria) / Insects Repelled: Mosquitoes, ants, cockroaches Research shows that catnip is more effective than DEET at repelling mosquitoes. Its easy growth makes it a garden favorite, but be prepared for cat visits!

7. CHRYSANTHÈME (Chrysanthemum) / Insects Repelled: Cockroaches, ants, Japanese beetles, ticks, silverfish Pyrethrin, present in chrysanthemums, is used in many insect repellents and controls a wide range of insects.

8. GARLIC (Allium sativum) / Insects Repelled : Aphids, mosquitoes, cabbage maggots Planting garlic around the garden acts as a barrier against aphids, mosquitoes and cabbage maggots, protecting your vegetables and flowers.

9. ROSEMARY (Rosmarinus officinalis) / Insects Repelled: Mosquitoes, carrot flies, cabbage maggots Rosemary's woody fragrance repels garden pests while attracting butterflies. Ideal for container gardening or as part of a culinary herb garden.

10. PETUNIAS (Petunia) / Insects Repelled : Aphids, dogwood caterpillars, asparagus beetles Often called "natural pesticides", petunias repel a variety of insects. Plant them in sunny spots near vegetable gardens or in hanging baskets.

11. LEMONGRASS HERB (Cymbopogon nardus) / Insects Repelled: Mosquitoes While citronella candles are a popular mosquito repellent, growing the plant itself can offer localized protection. Best grown in large pots due to its size.

Incorporating these natural repellent plants into your landscape design helps to create a more pleasant, pest-free environment, while enhancing the biodiversity and aesthetic appeal of your exterior. While no plant can guarantee total protection against all pests, these choices can significantly reduce the need for chemical repellents, promoting healthier, more environmentally-friendly gardens and interiors.

Manitoba has a lot of mosquitos and some of the biggest. When spring comes, they can be overwhelming - especially camping or outside of the city. The most effective repellent in my experience is anything with a lot of Deet in it. It's probably toxic and we all avoid using it - but sometimes it's a last resort. In terms of natural deterrents, a fire with pine and some green wood helps in the general area. Also if you rub vinegar on your exposed skin and eat raw garlic that works pretty well too. They are vampires after all - just don't expect your partner to come near you - or anyone else ;-)

We have a place near Lake Winnipeg that claims the little monsters as its official animal. The village is called "Komarno" which is apparently Ukrainian for "Lots of Mosquitos".

komarnomosquito1.jpg

I just stay close to my Mary. They love her smell and blood more than mine so I'm good.
The worst time for me is during the night. Not only I wake up at mosquitos singing the song of their people, but when they come close to attack I start slapping myself, involuntarily. So, I found my rescue in a big mosquito net for the entire bed, which makes me feel like a princess as well. Unfortunately, it is not used all the time, because my husband does not get bitten and he does not want to feel like a princess either. And that's how one would look forward to a separate bed scenario. Ah, dreams....

Back
Top Bottom