How to best help homeless or battered women shelters

KC Kelly

Padawan Learner
My wife and I were recently discussing what we might do to celebrate our upcoming 15th anniversary. We had mentioned taking the Amtrak to St. Louis and back, (as neither of us had ever ridden on a train before, and it sounds fun and adventurous) and while there maybe visiting the zoo, eating at a nice upscale restaurant, and staying at a highly rated 4 or 5 star hotel. You know, the whole shebang--living it up for the weekend before returning home.

I thought about this offf and on, milling it over in my mind as to whether this is something that would be rewarding and just a "trainload" of kicks. Yet something about it just didn't settle right with me so I asked her just rather point-blank what she thought about instead of this idea, how about we appropriate a very similar amount of money that we would have spent on something like this only instead we donate to either a children's homeless shelter, or maybe a battered women's shelter. We don't want to give cash beause it could so easily be misappropriated. Quite to my surprise, she was all in favor of the idea--so giving, so helpful to a group or organization of people who are legitimate and would find the extra money, goods or services extremely helpful, and turn a bunch of upside-down frowns into right-side-up smiles.

I've done a quick search on the internet to find info about various shelters and the like, trying to determine their legitimacy. Well, the quick result is that most all of them "seem" legitimate, but I just don't know. "Seeming" legit is one of the most effective methods for separating one's money from one's checkbook, and we don't want to give to any groups that are a front for more nefarious purposes going on behind the scenes that we may not be aware of.

So , "what's on my mind" today is to check with the members of this forum to learn if there are any members here who have first-hand knowledge of any groups or organizations in the Kansas City area that are in fact whom they claim to be and are, quite frankly, "on the up and up". Once my wife and I have targeted one or two of them as being who they say they are, and not a front for psychopaths to rob unwitting philanthropists, we intend to contact the manager or director of said group and find out what we can do for them.

So, forum members, anyone out there who has dealt personally with such groups in other cities in the US such as we are seeking to give aid to in the form of food, clothing and or other necessary and desirable goods and/or services--we would greatly appreciate any responses with names, addresses, phone numbers, etc., so that we may contact them and find out as much as we are able in order to make the right decision as to whom is an honest enough group that we could impact their lives in a positive way. By no means are we rich, but we figured we could share anywhere from $500 to as much as $1,000 to help--and keep it anonymous as possible through the entire process.

This is to be our anniversary gift to each other for 15 years of love, friendship and companionship with each other. We can't think of a more giving way of showing each other how much we love and care for one another than to help someone who REALLY needs it!

Any ideas, anyone? I will check in over the next several days for ideas from forum members--and Thank You, Thank You, Thank You in advance. I appreciate all everyone on this forum does in serving others in their own special niche!

KC

Hi KC - I think it's a great idea - unfortunately, I have no input since I know very little about that area - hopefully someone else here will have more input! Happy anniversary to you and your wife. =)

That's a really nice thought, KCK. Not living in the US, I can't help you out, but if you find any promising candidates, be sure to post and let us know.

That is a great idea KC. Not in Kansas City either, but happy Anniversary and good luck on your quest!

Women's orgs like ours are ALWAYS grateful for gifts like you want to give. Try contacting your own local community. Every area has a women's shelter for instance, many have homeless services or services for children. Lots of programs can also be run thru churches or synagogues as well. Highly under funded programs include women's legal defense funds (can't get out of abusive relationships because they can't afford attorneys).

Or war vet programs that help with their PTSD treatment--that's VERY under funded by our government.

That's awesome you guys want to give back!!

Saferelationships.com

I can recommend Sandra Brown's work (saferelationships.com above). Sandra has about the best handle on the "how to wake women up from being victims of pathological types" issue today and she is dedicated to bringing that message to as many women as possible. I can also say that she and I have a mutual friend in common, Tom French of the St. Pete Times who vouches for Sandra also.

Thanks to all for your time and responses. I will check out saferelationships.com and others related to war veterans programs--no doubt they've paid their dues in "fighting for our country", if that's how one chooses to refer to it, with no offense intended for those who don't know any better...yet.

As an aside, I also must say I am increasingly awed by the level of knowledge freely given and shared by members of this forum and visitors as to the "true" state of our disgustingly STS world we inhabit, and the efforts given to help those to "awaken" who make the choice to do so. Recently, I read a post by a "newbie" expressing much the same sentiment, to which Ark responded something to the effect of "try not to concern yourself so much with learning everything, but instead do what one can to learn something, and then do what one can to put it into practice".

I intend to "remember myself" and to put that nugget of wisdom into practice in my everyday life and let the chips fall where they will.

Thanks again all!

We'll vouch for Sandra also. Her work is singular in addressing victims of pathological relationships. She "gets it" where a lot of counselors don't. Victims far too often hear "get over it" or "move on" without addressing the PTSD and even physiological changes that victims go through.

www.saferelationships.com
or her blog:

http://howtospotadangerousman.blogspot.com

I think another way to donate could be by putting together mini-libraries of the psychological books and distribute them to the shelters in your area. I work at a boys shelter and there's not always something planned for them, so books are often in use.

I think the psychology books in the QFS recommend reading list could be helpful (I put a star next to those I think could be most relevant):

Mask of Sanity - Hervey Cleckley
*Trapped in the Mirror - Elan Golomb
*Unholy Hungers - Barbara E. Hort
*In Sheep's Clothing - George K. Simon
Operators and Things - Barbara O'Brien
*Myth of Sanity - Martha Stout
*Sociopath Next Door - Martha Stout
*Without Conscience - Robert Hare
Snakes in Suits - Robert Hare and Paul Babiak
*Predators - Anna Salter
Political Ponerology - Andrzej Lobaczewski
In Broad Daylight - Harry N. MacLean
*The Narcissistic Family - Stephanie Donaldson-Pressman and Robert M.
Pressman
Psychology of Intelligence Analysis - Richards J. Heuer, Jr.

A couple others to consider:

Women Who Run with the Wolves - Clarissa Pinkola Estes
The Gift of Fear - Gavin De Becker

Sanda Brown looks like she has some great books on her site too.

Perhaps others have some to add for consideration... I'm sure I'm missing some great ones.

You might also want to look into addiction recovery shelters too.

Shane

Have to add a few books - may be out of print but FIND COPIES! They are invaluable.

STALKING THE SOUL by Marie-France Hirigoyen

MY HYPNOTIST: The Big Roulette Wheel of Internet Dating - A Story of Spousal Abuse by Paulette Yuill

EMOTIONAL RAPE SYNDROME by Dr. Mike Fox

WHY DOES HE DO THAT? by Lundy Bancroft

WHY IS IT ALWAYS ABOUT YOU - Sandy Hotchkiss

Back
Top Bottom