How our dreams affect us

Russ

Jedi Master
Today I woke up feeling drained, bored, uninterested in everything. I don't really know how to explain it, but it continued for quite a while. After about an hour of being awake, I remembered part of a dream I had during the night, and I realised that it could be the source of these unexplained feelings.

It was the kind of dream where I go around doing all sorts of things, and I don't really know what I'm doing, and nothing makes much sense, and yet it doesn't seem to bother me. Edit: I mean, it doesn't bother me in the dream, but its as if its storing feelings somewhere for when I wake up... its hard to explain.

It made me think about how often I am affected by my dreams. It seems some dreams can really affect how I feel during the day, much more than I realised. I noticed that theres two different types - ones that affect me subconsciously, such as the one I mentioned above, where I don't really remember many details about the dream, or remember it at all, but the dream has put me in a certain mood which is hard to shake off. The others are ones are more conscious, where I remember it well, and I can spend the day thinking about the events in them, or they remind me about events in my life. I knew about the second type quite well, and I am consciously aware of how much they can affect me, but I hadn't even known of the possibility of the first type until now. I wonder how much these have been affecting me without me knowing?

Does anyone have any thoughts on this, something which I am missing perhaps? I know that my dream may be caused by events in my life, but I am interested in how dreams can affect us without us knowing, can change our moods etc. I suppose this could be where the phrase "got out of the wrong side of the bed" came from. Hmm. Well, its interesting. Another thing is, I have noticed that other people seem to be feeling a similar way today too, which is also interesting.

Russ said:
Does anyone have any thoughts on this, something which I am missing perhaps? I know that my dream may be caused by events in my life, but I am interested in how dreams can affect us without us knowing, can change our moods etc. I suppose this could be where the phrase "got out of the wrong side of the bed" came from. Hmm. Well, its interesting. Another thing is, I have noticed that other people seem to be feeling a similar way today too, which is also interesting.
Please take this with a grain of salt as people are complex beings and interpreting one's situtation based on just a bit of information is precarious at best.

That said, I noticed dreams don't just affect how you feel during the day. They tend to predict it. If you look at it from this angle and observe your dreams and how they relate to what goes on the next day you may find some interesting connections. Dreams often try to reveal to us the influences we are under, and we are under them whether we remember the dreams or not.

The dream you mentioned is similar to some of my own. These entail doing all kinds of meaningless activities, going through the motions, as it were, and waking up with a feeling of drainage as if I should have had a motivation to do something or realize something that was drained away during the night. When I became lucid to move to my real purpose or motivation I noticed factors and people arise in opposition, and the whole dream field trying to knock me out of lucidity. It's as if something in the dream dynamic is trying to program me into complacency so that I miss out on some opportunity that could be meaningful to me during the day.

In these days of transition, it stands to reason that there may be elements that do not want us to wake up and act upon it. It does not matter if one thinks there is electromagnetic manipulation suppressing natural dream creativity, or if there are interdimensional entities doing it, or if waking like is so regimented that it blocks natural dream tendencies to find solutions, or that the cause is the chemical toxicity of the environment, food, air and water. We address what we can, notice improvements and deal with what is left.

What you are experiencing, a mental cloud etc, is prevalent in society. Others in this forum have mentioned it in another context. Check out http://signs-of-the-times.org/signs/forum/viewforum.php?id=39 for more details.

The thing is your inner self may be trying to get off the treadmill to creat a more fruitful or purposeful life, and it may know what to do and where to go, but that knowledge and the energy to act on it is being suppressed. The same thing may be happening to many others, who under normal circumstances would be naturally inspired to DO SOMETHING that is a natural outgrowth of who they are, and yet still feel stuck and hog-tied. These are psychic shackles, so observe your dreams and ask yourself if there is something behind them that is being hidden. It may not be easy, but it may reveal something important.

The dreams, on the other hand, can also just try to keep you locked in even if you may not even have reached the stage where your subconscious has a definite solution. Even if it doesn't it needs space to come up with one, and something is trying to make sure that doesn't happen. I believe many people are locked into impotence this way. So before sleep it may help to intend for an answer. You may be surprised.

EsoQuest said:
...before sleep it may help to intend for an answer. You may be surprised.
I done this last night, and as of yet I don't remember what dreams I had, but last night before bed I had a conversation with some people and set some things in motion. I realised that there is something I should be doing... I already knew about it, but I didn't know how to go about it. But just talking about it with people helped, and I have a plan of action now (or at least a start). The only question is, whether I have the strength to see it through. I have to take on a lot of responsibility, and a lot of work... it just seems like everything is against me, including myself (but I know that not everyone is against me, it just seems that way sometimes). But the main thing I realised is that I have to be determined to see it through no matter what, now I have made the decision. Else I will just end up back at square one, and so will other people who my decision affects. That seems to be something that I need to do - I keep starting things and then tapering off. Its as if I am pulsing, and the pulses are the same strength every time, and have the risk of getting weaker - instead of being "dedicated" to my choices, I keep losing focus and energy, and giving up, only to try again later on. It doesn't seem to be getting me anywhere - maybe that is what the dream was trying to tell me - instead of affecting me, it was merely reminding me - it bought the feelings which I needed to feel into the real world where I could analyse them and see meaning in them.

Regarding dream interpretation, the most accurate understandings of dreams most always come from the dreamer. And it is also true that working against yourself or resisting something you feel you need to do expends a lot of energy and can make us drag our feet. It seems you answered your own question better than anyone else could. :)

It's interesting though that I talked to quite a few people recently that described the same symptoms of feeling tired or foggy lately, and some of them had dreams of running around in circles (myself included). It seems to be going around for some people...

The first time I was in a cassiopean forum I came with questions about dreams, because I was having way too many prophetic dreams, which came true. In time, I did something stupid, which was trying to block my "ability." I have prophetic dreams now, just not with the frequency as some years past.

I think the main thing for me is: if the dreams are bothersome, write them down to best detail possible. Once you have written them down, make a list of things that might connect with your "real" world. Cross those out, but keep them in mind. Anything else, which doesn't square with "reality" then you have many options at your disposition: which can cover a wide range of issues and realms. Still I think most dreams refer to your real life and influences and maybe there is a mission as to why you should be having them. Good luck.

EsoQuest said:
Regarding dream interpretation, the most accurate understandings of dreams most always come from the dreamer. And it is also true that working against yourself or resisting something you feel you need to do expends a lot of energy and can make us drag our feet. It seems you answered your own question better than anyone else could. :)
LOL, I think you're right. Its interesting how it works, that we sleep and have dreams. It seems to be a way of accessing the subconscious in a way where we aren't physically harmed, and we can bring the information into the awake world when we are ready to.

We have some things which are defined in dreams, such as a street, but walk down the street and all of a sudden you're not in the street, but in a room. And yet we can still get information from this. Even though there is no continutity of the physical aspects of the dream, there is still a meaning behind it. For example, I have done the same thing in a dream, which I do in the real world, and the physical attributes of it are completely different - but the meaning is still the same. So, I guess what I am saying is - is there really such a big difference between the dream world and the waking world, when it comes to who we are, and what we do?

EsoQuest said:
It's interesting though that I talked to quite a few people recently that described the same symptoms of feeling tired or foggy lately, and some of them had dreams of running around in circles (myself included). It seems to be going around for some people...
Hmm. I'm thinking, maybe the way we act in the dream world is the same as how we act in the waking world. We're still the same. But the dream world can reveal certain things about us which we would find much harder to notice in the waking world - in some way, its like some kind of "time compression", where you can see how you act over a long period of time, in a very short amount of time, due to the "non-rigidness" of the dream world.

I thought I would put that idea out, although I am still thinking about it. Maybe you or someone else has some ideas on this?

Russ said:
Hmm. I'm thinking, maybe the way we act in the dream world is the same as how we act in the waking world. We're still the same. But the dream world can reveal certain things about us which we would find much harder to notice in the waking world - in some way, its like some kind of "time compression", where you can see how you act over a long period of time, in a very short amount of time, due to the "non-rigidness" of the dream world.
Well, yeah, but I would call it "experience compression". In other words, you act a certain way in your waking life, but it is not what is satisfactory. Still, you act that way for whatever reason. Your waking feelings trying to warn you are set aside. Your body drags because it doesn't like what you are doing, but still you force yourself, for whatever reason. This is accumulated experience that your waking self considers inconvenient or disturbing so a waking effort is made to ingore it or explain it away.

The experience goes into memory, and over time, like tracks layed on top of each other, it builds and builds. At some point your person is going to be saturated, and all the attempts to contact your waking self will explode during sleep. Like you said, it is in a safe context, because the body is paralyzed from moving physically while dreaming. It's like a bunch of film reels packing the projector room until it is about to explode.

There comes a point when they just start replaying when your suppressed self has you right where it wants you, sleeping and unable to move. So it's like you're tied to the chair and forced to face HOW YOU REALLY FEEL ABOUT THINGS. It's like your deeper self has been gathering evidence to present its case, and through whatever associations you normally make it pieces the evidence together as the presented dream.

Of course dreaming is a pretty complex and multi-aspected phenomenon, but at least for some types of experiences, it can work this way.

Back
Top Bottom