How do I change my avatar?

bedower

Jedi Master
[quote author=SAO 10 March 2008]It's pretty simple really, just click on "Profile" in the menu above, click on "Personality" on the left-hand side, then check the little box that says "use avatar" and click the "change avatar" link.

Then just hit "browse" and go to the picture on your computer that you want to use as your avatar.
[/quote]

Post #110 at this link here

The Forum layout has been changed since then, and there is now no 'change avatar' link.

How can I change my avatar?

Thanks.

bedower said:
How can I change my avatar?

Click Profile in the top navigation menu
In the Modify Profile side menu go to 'Forum Profile Information' and do your business.

Go to the Profile link at the top of the page. From there, under the Modify Profile section, select Forum Profile Information. Scroll down a bit to where you see your avatar and the option "I will upload my own avatar". Select the button "Browse" to choose a picture from your hard drive.

Thanks both - :flowers:

As you can see, your instructions worked perfectly, even with me pressing the buttons!

;D

Addition edit: But why hasn't my avatar changed on the SOTT front page, as it has throughout
the Forum? When I first inserted the cats avatar on the forum, it automatically
appeared on the SOTT page.

bedower said:
Thanks both - :flowers:

As you can see, your instructions worked perfectly, even with me pressing the buttons!

;D

Addition edit: But why hasn't my avatar changed on the SOTT front page, as it has throughout
the Forum? When I first inserted the cats avatar on the forum, it automatically
appeared on the SOTT page.

They are not connected. You have to go into your profile there, as well, and upload your new avatar.

Thanks, Nienna :)

I'm still puzzled about why the original cats avatar automatically appeared on the SOTT page when I didn't download it there, if the two are not connected.

Is this because both page layouts have been changed since then, and now use different software, she mused.

Later edit:

Oops! :-[ All is explained

[quote author=kresnik 16 Jan 2007] Your Profile shows your avatar and allows you to upload a new avatar that will be displayed for your profile and on any comments you make on articles. It also shows the basic information about you, including your interests, if you entered any. Don't worry - nothing useful like your date of birth is displayed for all the world to see. Besides, only users with an account can view other peoples' info. [/quote]

When I went into my SOTT profile, I saw that the page had been viewed 2,034 times! When I clicked Edit User info, the same message was there, even though this page displayed my email address. This is why I've made bold the relevant sentence. It may reassure other forumites who post on SOTT, although any bad guys can easily register as members with the sole intention to misuse the information in the SOTT member profile, it seems to me.

Back
Top Bottom