Hovering passenger planes

Kopseng

A Disturbance in the Force
Question regarding the phenomenon of seemingly hovering passenger aircraft...

Supposedly this is caused by head winds matching the aircraft speed giving the illusion of a stationary plane. Now let's say a landing plane is coming in at around 150 knots, this would mean a head wind of at least 150 knots to cause the ground speed to be pretty much zero.
Now 150 knots would be some insane strengthed winds especially at such a low altitude, and as you can see in some of the example videos below, there doesn't appear to be such crazy wind (trees not swaying etc) there are also a lot of comments on these videos from people who have witnessed similar things so it's not just camera trickery, seems to be a thing.
Maybe this is something that could be put forward.. unless anybody has any ideas?

Hello Kopseng, welcome to the forum :-)

To me it looks as though it could be an optical illusion as in each case the plane is being filmed from a vehicle that is travelling in the opposite direction. Perhaps someone who knows more will comment.

Since this is your first post, you are invited to write an introduction in the Newbies forum to tell us a little about yourself and how you found your way here.

Hello Kopseng, welcome to the forum :-)

To me it looks as though it could be an optical illusion as in each case the plane is being filmed from a vehicle that is travelling in the opposite direction. Perhaps someone who knows more will comment.

Since this is your first post, you are invited to write an introduction in the Newbies forum to tell us a little about yourself and how you found your way here.
I thought this as well, it was just the fact that there were a lot of comments from people saying they'd seen the same thing with their own eyes 🤔

Back
Top Bottom