Hostage to the Devil, Malachi Martin/Glimpses of the Devil ,Scott Peck

I've never had the courage to read this book, given all I've heard about it. When I was young though, I used to be told stories of spirit possessions, most seemed somewhat convincing, but later on I sort of thought they were just stories told to a child for entertainment. They were scary and one that really stuck with me for awhile is the one where apparently you are sleeping, then at the foot of your bed you feel someone sit down, you look up to see a form sat down at the end of your bed and you are paralysed and can't move. That made the act of sleeping tough.

People who believe in spirits e.g. religious people, traditionally superstitious people etc have lots of stories regarding possession by spirits.

I am not sure I have ever heard about an atheist being possessed. Anyone know if spirit possession occurs to non-believers?

_http://www.reddit.com/r/atheism/comments/295lte/are_there_any_cases_of_atheists_being_possessed/

I personally think that in not thinking about such stuff, it stays away... subjective! I've been most scared of encountering a spirit when I have primed myself with fear e.g. watching a horror movie, reading scary book, hearing scary stories, but otherwise I think the chances are minimal. I suppose you can be possessed but not know about it but then there is no way of proving that really or disproving it.

Just to clarify, this is not me trying to prod any lingering spirits anywhere to start causing havoc! Stay away, thank you very much! :shock:

luke wilson said:
I am not sure I have ever heard about an atheist being possessed. Anyone know if spirit possession occurs to non-believers?

I guess an atheist in an atheist milieu would be diagnosed with dementia (pun partly intended) or schizophrenia and be given drugs for the rest of his life.

When doing a bit of research into the Jesuits, saw it mentioned a few times by critics how the spiritual excercises of Ignatius turned monks into a trance state that would invite possession. I had a look through the exercises and what sticks out is how its all about being a sinful creature, whose being is completely set up for sin, as if this is our natural condition and that we must be on high continuous alert to ward off our instinct to sin. For example:

...as here in a meditation on sin, the representation will be to see in imagination my soul as a prisoner in this corruptible body, and to consider my whole composite being as an exile here on earth, cast out to live among brute beasts. I said my whole composite being, body and soul.

_http://spex.ignatianspirituality.com/SpiritualExercises/Puhl#c03-1234

I think what happens is when we are broken down to a certain degree, to a point that we despise ourselves to the core, we pull back from ourselves, or retreat in ourselves. Maybe this becomes like an implied invitation to whatever is out there to fill in the space? Or at least one would be in such a state that inviting anything (even the "devil") to alleviate the internal suffering would be likely.

It seems the guilt of sin typifies the Catholic Church seen in full colour with orders like Jesuits and Opus Dei. So perhaps for hundreds of years and still these obsessive concepts of sin and self punishment and despising oneself as a result grooms hoards of people into a primed state for heavy spirit attachments or possession?

alkhemst said:
obyvatel said:
Altair said:
I'm at the 5th case now and just wondering how it works. The symbols of Catholic church (crucifix, holy water, etc.) have apparently some power on these spritits. But how it could be if the foundation of the Catholic church itself based on lies? How can calling in the name of Jesus work if it was a fictitious person (probably the biggest lie)? Or is it just wishful thinking of exorciststs that all these symbols work and in reality it's only the will of exorcist against will of the demon which really matters?

Related discussion here
https://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,16742.0.html

Quite possible sometimes the entity also believes in the ritual, believes in the theatrics presented in the bible - which doesnt mean it has any value other than that. If both the spirit, the person possessed and the excorcist believe it, by that view it will be more enhanced, so it "works".

Yup. Exactly the case based on my experiences.

alkhemst said:
I think what happens is when we are broken down to a certain degree, to a point that we despise ourselves to the core, we pull back from ourselves, or retreat in ourselves. Maybe this becomes like an implied invitation to whatever is out there to fill in the space? Or at least one would be in such a state that inviting anything (even the "devil") to alleviate the internal suffering would be likely.

It seems the guilt of sin typifies the Catholic Church seen in full colour with orders like Jesuits and Opus Dei. So perhaps for hundreds of years and still these obsessive concepts of sin and self punishment and despising oneself as a result grooms hoards of people into a primed state for heavy spirit attachments or possession?

I think that you can always provide evil spirits with a target if you are disbalanced in some fields of your life (primarily emotional) and additionally don't have awareness of these evil spirits. So it's a combination of disbalanced emotions and people's distorted beliefs.

Scottie said:
But, a warning: If you do read it, and you start to get creeped out, stop. Not all knowledge should be stuffed into your noggin' all at once. Reading this book is NOT a badge of courage or something silly like that. Frankly, I don't think everyone needs to read it.

In the closing chapter, Martin interviews Father Michael, a former exorcist who's dying. He's miserable, and just before he dies, Martin finds out why. Basically, Fr. Michael never really knew true evil. He knew only light, although he knew of evil. His experiences as an exorcist scarred him for life. He said he never thought about questioning Jesus earlier in life, but suddenly he had to. He had to look at both sides of the coin, and it was literally too much for him to bear.

Well, maybe there were karmic reasons for that - who knows how it all works... Anyway, it's NOT true that what you don't know can't hurt you. Quite the opposite, in fact! But at the same time, too much too soon is also a bad idea. The C's have indicated as much repeatedly.

Above all, be aware of the lies you tell yourself. Question everything. And keep an open mind.

Thanks Scottie for your very thoughtful analysis much appreciated.

Also fully agree with your views in the post. This book is definitely not for everyone, i recall being quite scared too while reading it especially at night before bed :shock:- and its better if one has the requisite knowledge of entities, evil, STS and their various machinations, before reading it. This way you will have a context for comparison and analysis of the facts presented. This book while providing very detailed analysis of 5 exorcisms, provides explanations of them in the context of the Catholic Church, their Priests and their exorcism rituals. However, evil in all its forms are more myriad & complex, and a deeper grounding is required for comprehension. As the C's mentioned, Knowledge is key, and too much too soon is certainly not a good idea.

As Laura mentioned, i too see it that the exorcisms were successful because of the "mental blocking" applied by the strong willed priests - and not the incantations used and holy water etc. The Priests too might not have realised it themselves at times, but their strong willpower, and their steely resolve to banish the entity from the possessed helped greatly in the process. It was a titanic struggle, but in the end willpower and good intent prevailed. Entities themselves come in all forms and behaviours, but i guess their arch-enemy is a knowledgeable person, who knows what they are dealing with, and while being worried of the unknown, are not terrified and willing to accept the difficult task of exorcism. It is a free will universe - but this task is not for the faint hearted.

Another point from the Book (i can't recall the exact page) - is that when the possessed somehow seeks an exorcist, it is that at some level their souls are calling for help - and i thought that this was an interesting point; because the author also brings up the issue of the "perfectly possessed" where here the persons are completely and utterly possessed, and the entity is in complete control.

Reading this, and comparing it with other cases of possession i have read - It seems the entities are always looking for "loopholes" to enter into a persons sphere, and emotional issues, bad habits and false sense of self importance could definitely play a part. It seems most of the time, they will always "pick on" a person who has emotional, or deep issues affecting their life, and with no understanding of the hyperdimensional nature of our universe. Then the acts of terrifying begin, in order to really weaken the will of the intended victim, before the act of direct possession when the victim is utterly terrified, and their will compromised.

Just my thoughts fwiw...

I've been reading this book off and on for the past six months and I don't find anything particularly "scary" about it, it just is. I wanted to read it because books that discuss the dark forces/conscious evil in our world in an intelligent and straight forward manner are pretty rare. I agree that you need to have quite a bit of background on STS/STO to find any meaningful context for it, but having read almost all of Laura's books and a decent slice of the recommended reading list, I thought I was ready. I think if you can sit through Laura's exorcism podcast; there's nothing in this book that's too much scarier. Granted, having never sat through an exorcism, the material doesn't have that emotional "grip" on me like it would for someone who has.

What I found most interesting is how subtle the process of possession generally is; how the demons gradually break down the victims over a period of years, slowly digging in at various junctures in your life in order to make you choose to "accept" them and their deviant thinking. It really made me think about what sorts of entities might be hanging around whenever I find myself at some sort of crossroads. Maybe cartoons about having an angel on one shoulder and a devil on the other when faced with a decision aren't so silly after all. It doesn't start to become obvious that someone is possessed until the possession is almost total. I think it's a very good no holds barred look at how evil works in our world and may provide some valuable insight if you come under the influence of someone who feel "off" and you can't put your finger on why.

Scottie said:

I agree on this. For example the first case is about a woman who thinks she needs tp balance things out, that she needs darkness to balance things... lol this place is already in the abyss, you want more darkness?

When people talk about the light or light of this world and happiness, I always remember Mouravieff when he says "happiness lasts only as long as the illusion lasts", in this world how good do we know what light is?

Neil said:
I've been reading this book off and on for the past six months and I don't find anything particularly "scary" about it, it just is. I wanted to read it because books that discuss the dark forces/conscious evil in our world in an intelligent and straight forward manner are pretty rare. I agree that you need to have quite a bit of background on STS/STO to find any meaningful context for it, but having read almost all of Laura's books and a decent slice of the recommended reading list, I thought I was ready. I think if you can sit through Laura's exorcism podcast; there's nothing in this book that's too much scarier. Granted, having never sat through an exorcism, the material doesn't have that emotional "grip" on me like it would for someone who has.

I think that the emotional grip comes with those who do not have sufficient knowledge to understand what is being discussed in this book. It may also be that the individual still has illusions and doesn't want to face the reality that the darkness in our universe balances the light and "just is". That god is not 100% "good" is more than they can bear.

Neil said:
What I found most interesting is how subtle the process of possession generally is; how the demons gradually break down the victims over a period of years, slowly digging in at various junctures in your life in order to make you choose to "accept" them and their deviant thinking. It really made me think about what sorts of entities might be hanging around whenever I find myself at some sort of crossroads. Maybe cartoons about having an angel on one shoulder and a devil on the other when faced with a decision aren't so silly after all. It doesn't start to become obvious that someone is possessed until the possession is almost total. I think it's a very good no holds barred look at how evil works in our world and may provide some valuable insight if you come under the influence of someone who feel "off" and you can't put your finger on why.

Yes, the subtlety of the process is striking and something that should always be kept in mind. As the old saying goes, it is easier to resist at the beginning. That awareness is one of the things that signaled to me that the alien abduction scenarios were very similar. Later, of course, I could see the same dynamic in ponerology among groups. Lobaczewski describes it:

One phenomenon all ponerogenic groups and associations have in common is the fact that their members lose (or have already lost) the capacity to perceive pathological individuals as such, interpreting their behavior in a fascinated, heroic, or melodramatic way. The opinions, ideas, and judgments of people carrying various psychological deficits are endowed with an importance at least equal to that of outstanding individuals among normal people. The atrophy of natural critical faculties with respect to pathological individuals becomes an opening to their activities, and, at the same time, a criterion for recognizing the association in concern as ponerogenic. Let us call this the first criterion of ponerogenesis.

That's one of the reasons we try to remain alert to these early, subtle attempts to manipulate perceptions. And Lobaczewski describes the three ways such manipulations can work on people:

The oversimplified pattern, devoid of psychological color and based on easily available data, exerts an intense influence upon individuals who are insufficiently critical, frequently frustrated as result of downward social adjustment, culturally neglected, or characterized by some psychological deficiencies. Others are provoked to criticism based on their healthy common sense, also they fail to grasp this essential cause of the error.

Societal interpretation of such activities is broken down into the main trifurcations, engendering divisiveness and conflict. The first branch is the path of aversion, based on rejection of the contents of the work due to personal motivations, differing convictions, or moral revulsion. This already contains the component of a moralizing interpretation of pathological phenomena.

We can distinguish two distinctly different apperception types among those persons who accept the contents of such works: the critically-corrective and the pathological. People whose feel for psychological reality is normal tend to incorporate chiefly the more valuable elements of the work. They trivialize the obvious errors and complement the schizoid deficiencies by means of their own richer world view. This gives rise to a more sensible, measured, and thus creative interpretation, but is not free from the influence of the error frequently adduced above.

This is just a bit of commentary on how the same processes work on many levels and in many contexts. It was extremely useful for me to have learned this dynamic in the context of the most concentrated form of it, the spiritual, so to say, because it was like a caricature that exaggerated the main features so that they became recognizable in so many other contexts. The same thing is true for the study of psychopathy which is also useful when dealing with ordinary people. Once you have learned the signs in the caricature, you can recognize them when they are more subtle and may only be the consequence of individuals taking on those characteristics due to exposure.

Well, as I said, this was a rather eye-opening book.

But, a warning: If you do read it, and you start to get creeped out, stop. Not all knowledge should be stuffed into your noggin' all at once. Reading this book is NOT a badge of courage or something silly like that. Frankly, I don't think everyone needs to read it.

In the closing chapter, Martin interviews Father Michael, a former exorcist who's dying. He's miserable, and just before he dies, Martin finds out why. Basically, Fr. Michael never really knew true evil. He knew only light, although he knew of evil. His experiences as an exorcist scarred him for life. He said he never thought about questioning Jesus earlier in life, but suddenly he had to. He had to look at both sides of the coin, and it was literally too much for him to bear.

Well, maybe there were karmic reasons for that - who knows how it all works... Anyway, it's NOT true that what you don't know can't hurt you. Quite the opposite, in fact! But at the same time, too much too soon is also a bad idea. The C's have indicated as much repeatedly.

Above all, be aware of the lies you tell yourself. Question everything. And keep an open mind.

This was one of the clearest reviews of this book I've read to date, Scottie, thank you.

Because I'm one of the people who can't read it. Not for the reasons you'd think. It's not a question of being creeped out or overwhelmed. I've seen and been through some nasty stuff that included spirits with bad intentions. It's one of those trials by fire that I wasn't ready for and it hurt me pretty bad for a long time. It took years to heal from, and Laura is correct when she says it tears chunks off of you when fighting or facing down a spirit that has mayhem on its mind.

The whole reliance upon the Jesus meme (because that's what it is...a meme, a mask) left me adrift. I wasn't able to connect all the dots back to Julius Caesar, but the information was there. The information Laura uncovered did a lot to help me heal from injuries I wasn't totally aware of.

People can't deal with the fact that God is not what they've been taught. When the reality manifests their minds fracture. They can't see the balancing mechanisms or those spirits who are there to be supportive. Without a frame of reference, how can they? Without the Eastern perspective for balance, (and it takes a lot of discernment to find that) few can find even one frame for reference. I know that makes little sense, but I'm not firing on all cylinders today. ;)

I met a spiritual man who faced that truth, and managed to deal with it. He warned me then that people can't handle it. He chose to trick them, make them hold on to illusions to survive because he didn't know anything else. He stood firm and was mauled over and over because he didn't have an alternative. In the end it killed him. He told me, before he died, to get out of that way of life. "You have a husband who loves you, that is worth more than gold. If you stay, someone will kill you, because they think you hold power that doesn't exist. Walk away."

So I did.

Again, thank you.

Thank you for this threat that have an amazing intensity. I have the book at home but I will wait to read it. With all the information given here it is enough, for now. I agree with what Scott said. Also I think that evil can take many forms, many configurations. Sometimes I see people on the streets that seem possessed. Others act like zombies, that is another sort of possession. Others, like my two neighbors are like robots, that is also a possession.

When I was in a big depression, some 10 years ago, I used to have nightmares where I "touched and felt" evil. I was a little concerned: if evil appeared in my nightmares that mean that evil was in myself. Can it be that when you are fragile, evil can touch you, appears in you? After my depression those nightmares did not come anymore. They were strange and very violent , but not just violent, I was just in the middle of a big space where madness was present and also evil, the horror of something without name, fire and blood. And the presence of something very malignant. Very scary. Not a "normal" nightmare. I was literally in a sort of hell without the possibility of leaving!

Knowledge protects, that's for sure.

loreta said:
Thank you for this threat that have an amazing intensity.

Knowledge protects, that's for sure.

I don't have again the opportunity to read "Hostage to the devil",
and in reading the Wave (i don't remenber exactly where, i don't have the memory of Laura, i have only a moleskine :lol:, maybe in "the soul hackers") there was a passage that i always kept in my mind:
""Be attentive to "negative" forces do not make them stronger, as long as the intent is to weaken them. And one can learn to "weaken" darkness by learning exactly what they are. It comes, as we have already said, to learn to identify our reality through its symbols, and give each thing its "due".
On the other hand, focus on "love and light" can sometimes be a sign of a secret "fear" of darkness. This fear then draw in the life of the individual experiences and unpleasant events. Only knowledge can exorcise this fear.""
(I googled translate from french, so it's not the best rendering)

And St Paul:
"For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers
against the powers of this dark world
against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms"

And this battle start in every little things of our routine life to grow in knowledge, love, so energy.
We have a good living exemple in the person of Vladimir Vladimirovitch Putin.

http://www.naturalnews.com/049612_Vatican_exorcist_yoga_Harry_Potter.html#ixzz3ZStHK22u said:
Is yoga about worshiping Hindu gods, or is it about engaging in advanced stretching and exercise?
At its roots, yoga is said to have originated from the ancient worship of Hindu gods, with the various poses representing unique forms of paying homage to these entities. From this, other religions such as Catholicism and Christianity have concluded that the practice is out of sync with their own, and that it may result in demonic spirits entering a person's body.

Others contend that yoga practice is really more focused on advanced stretching moves and physical exercise, and that it can bring about healing and improved well-being such as improved core strength, better circulation and reduced stress. The intent of the person doing yoga, rather than yoga itself, in other words, is what defines the extent of how the practice influences a person's being and soul.

But Father Truqui sees yoga as being satanic, claiming that "it leads to evil just like reading Harry Potter." And in order to deal with the consequences of this, his religion has had to bring on an additional six exorcists, bringing the total number to 12, just to deal with what he says is a 100% rise in the number of requests for exorcisms over the past 15 years.

"The ministry of performing exorcism is little known among priests," stated Father Truqui to The Independent. "It's like training to be a journalist without knowing how to do an interview."

At the same time, Father Amorth admits that the Roman Catholic Church's notoriety for all kinds of perverted sex scandals is also indicative of demonic activity -- he stated that it represents proof that "the devil is at work inside the Vatican."

emphasis mine

Another interesting thing about the book is a few references Malachi makes about people
that are perfectly possessed and still basically function perfectly in society and never get
detected. Sort of like the distinction between psychopaths
that wind up in jail and those that spend their lifetimes operating without getting caught.

Malachi also notes that it is because of the will of the people that are possessed that the signs
of possession even become apparent, and when they do, the possessed could be forced into treatment
to to 'fix' the symptoms and they basically drug the person, which I assume would eventually kill that spark
inside the person that revolts.

I guess that is the scariest part of the book for me, although there are some really sickening scenarios
reported in the book.

Reactions: sid

ca8d706136e3049f15ece3b36827db5a.png

https://youtu.be/ouKk8zYDo8o
TradCatKnight Radio, “Why Didn’t Father Malachi Martin Reveal The Real 3rd Secret?
Talk given 6-14-18 (Aprx. 30 minutes)

And yes, that "stillness" is characteristic. Michael Topper writes:
The consciousness of that being is literally fed and magnified by the number and relative strength of the subordinate souls who have been voluntarily subsumed to the network. The greater the development of the psychic potentials of the individual who has been co-opted, the more "energy" he contributes to the whole system. The more psychic energy available to the "Commander" of the negative soul hierarchy, the greater his effective power to co-opt even more potent and more difficult to capture souls.

The "contributions of consciousness" consist effectively of the energy a soul would otherwise utilize to encompass objective knowledge. Each time they choose a lie over the effort required to dig down to the truth, or the effort required to adjust their own psyche to adapt to Truth, that "love" energy is effectively transferred to the individual who is producing the lie in which they are believing without effort on their part to ascertain its truth for themselves.

I agree completely. You probably noticed that I NEVER used the "name of Jesus" once during the entire process though I did invoke the Christ as a universal spirit of annointing of Light.

I'll tell you something else that really frustrated me during so many more or less ordinary "spirit release" sessions: the fact that more "souls" than I can count were in the condition of being "attached" and unable to move on in their natural cycle due to fears and false information inculcated by religious teachings! In fact, that was so persistent a problem that I think I may do a podcast on that alone. Sometimes I would be really angry to see the suffering of my TWO clients: the attached human in front of me, and his or her disoriented, frightened, attached "hitchhiker."

So much ignorance doing so much damage to so many...

I came across this recent incident in San Francisco with an interesting quote by the accused. Though there is very little informational background on the said individual. Almost a media hush at this time. Stay tuned!

Dismembered victim mourned as motive theory emerges in grisly SF killing
Thursday, June 14, 2018
According to court documents, starting in August 2017, Gonzales rented a room to Mamer and charged her only $400 per month after learning that Mamer had recently lost her home and fallen on hard times. However, by December, Gonzales became frustrated after things around the house started to go missing or were misplaced.

Gonzales allegedly asked Mamer to move out, but Mamer stayed in the apartment and around mid-April, Gonzales gave her a 30-day notice to leave. Mamer, however, did not leave, according to court documents.

Another roommate said that on May 15, when that roommate came home, Gonzales told them not to go in the bathroom. Later that evening, the roommate reported a “metallic” smell at the apartment and when they left to go to the store and returned, they smelled the scent of vinegar.

While being interviewed by police, Gonzales admitted that she got into an argument with Mamer on May 15 after the woman refused to move out of the apartment, Maldonado wrote.

“The defendant informed investigators that she thinks she ‘flipped,’ but didn’t have a ‘real recollection’ of what happened,” he wrote. “When asked what the defendant thought took place, the defendant replied ‘probably nothing good.’”

According to court documents, Gonzales was convicted in 2004 of assault with a deadly weapon after she struck a co-worker in the face with a metal object, fracturing the woman’s jaw and shattering her teeth. Gonzales served a year in San Francisco jail and was placed on five years’ probation afterward.

According to Lilien, Gonzales is a lifelong San Francisco resident and had lived at the 14th Street apartment for most of her life. She is set to return to court on July 14 and remains in custody without bail.

Video Gonzales

170px-Richard_Ramirez_1984_mug_shot.jpg

Early life and education
Ramirez was born in El Paso, Texas, on February 29, 1960, the youngest of Julian and Mercedes Ramirez's five children.[2] His father, a Mexican national and former Juarez policeman who later became a laborer on the Santa Fe railroad,[3] was prone to fits of anger that often resulted in physical abuse.[4]

As a child, Ramirez sustained two serious head injuries. When he was two years old a dresser fell on top of him, causing a forehead laceration requiring 30 stitches to close.[5] When he was five years old, he was knocked unconscious by a swing at a park,[6] after which he experienced frequent epileptic seizures that persisted into his early teens.[7]

As a 12-year-old he was strongly influenced by his older cousin, Miguel ("Mike"),[8] a decorated U.S. Army Green Beret combat veteran who often boasted of his gruesome exploits during the Vietnam War. He shared Polaroid photos of his victims, including Vietnamese women he had raped.[9] In some of the photos Mike posed with the severed head of a woman he had abused.[10]

Ramirez, who had smoked marijuana since the age of 10, bonded with Mike over joints and gory war stories.[11] Mike taught his young cousin some of his military skills, such as killing with stealth and surety.[12] Around this time, Ramirez began to seek escape from his father's violent temper by sleeping in a local cemetery.[12]

Ramirez, or "Richie", as he was known to his family, was present on May 4, 1973, when his cousin Mike fatally shot his wife, Jessie, in the face with a .38 caliber revolver during a domestic argument.[13] After the shooting Richie became sullen and withdrawn from his family and peers. Later that year, he moved in with his older sister, Ruth, and her husband, Roberto, an obsessive "peeping Tom" who took Richie along on his nocturnal exploits.[14] Ramirez also began using LSD and cultivated an interest in Satanism.[15]
Murders
On April 10, 1984, 9-year-old Mei Leung was found murdered in a hotel basement, where Ramirez was living, in the Tenderloin district of San Francisco. The girl had been raped, beaten and stabbed to death, and her body was found hanging from a pipe.[25] This, his first known killing, was not initially identified as being connected to the crime spree. In 2009, Ramirez's DNA was matched to DNA obtained at the crime scene.[26] In 2016, officials disclosed evidence of a second suspect, identified through a DNA sample retrieved from the crime scene, who is believed to have been present at Leung's murder. Described as being a juvenile at the time, authorities have not publicly identified the suspect, and have not brought charges due to the lack of evidence.[27]

Leonard Lake:
ac525007f17eca792932ae3d97e4542c.png

Born in 1945, Leonard Lake was raised by his grandmother in San Francisco. As a child, he developed an obsession with pornography and engaged in sex acts, including taking nude photos, with his own sisters. Allegedly, grandma encouraged this behavior.

Lake also captured and dissolved small animals in chemicals. He’d later use that technique to dispose of human bodies.

After joining the Marine Corps in 1964, Lake did two tours of duty in Vietnam, and was diagnosed by military doctors as suffering from schizoid personality disorder. He received a medical discharge in 1971.

Throughout the next decade, Lake bounced around the Bay Area hippie scene, developing a taste for sadomasochistic sex and crafting his own homemade porn movies. Lake also grew obsessed with The Collector, a 1963 novel by John Fowles about a mild-mannered clerk who collects butterflies before switching his attention to a female art student whom he abducts and keeps in captivity.

In 1981, by way of an ad in a war games magazine, Lake met another fanatical devotee of The Collector: Charles Ng.

Charles Chitat Ng:
Charles_Ng.jpg

On December 24, 1960, Charles Chitat Ng was born to a wealthy family in Hong Kong. Despite continuously causing trouble during his early life, Ng came to California on a student visa in 1978.

Shortly thereafter, police arrested Ng for a hit-and-run car accident. He slipped through the cracks, though, by joining the Marines with fake identification papers. But Ng could not control his penchant for stealing. In 1979, military police nabbed Ng for trying to walk off with automatic weapons. He did three years in Leavenworth Prison.

Once Ng got out of the joint and hooked up with Lake, he moved into the older man’s cabin, which was located deep in the northern California woods. Lake’s parents had given him the rural home and its surrounding acreage as a gift. He further tricked out the property by building a “dungeon” right next to the residence.

Together, Lake and Ng indulged in their shared passions for pornography, weapons, and home-video equipment. In short order, they would utilize all three on a vile and horrifying spree of sexual sadism and homicide they deemed “Operation Miranda.” (Very Disturbing Materiel)

Malachi Martin, about Catholic Orthodoxy
Published on Feb 8, 2018
Firing Line with William F. Buckley Jr._ The Fight over Catholic Orthodoxy April 22, 1980 / 59:15

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom