Hostage to the Devil, Malachi Martin/Glimpses of the Devil ,Scott Peck

I read the first 2 or 3 cases of the book about 4 years back. And it should definitely not taken lightly, as I did at that time. As far as I remember the main reason to start the book at this time, was because I tried to rule things out, if "I'm possessed" for example.

I've read the book because I thought it would be very interesting to know how an exorcism works, at least from the Christian perspective.
I have to say that I was very uncomfortable a few times while reading it but not to the point of putting it aside (unlike "programmed to kill" which I still haven't been able to read for more than a few chapters.).
I am not sure now if I wasn't disturbed more than I'd like to acknowledge while reading the book.

And as Gawan said, I was wondering the same thing but more when I was actually reading the book than before starting it.

Now that I read "Stranger to ourselves", it seems and I'd like to know if I am at least on right track with this, that it's no wonder that these exorcisms were quite harrowing.

What I am not sure to understand is if there was some kind of feedback loop that was going on with the priests while performing the rituals ? as it seems to me that the entities were tapping directly into the unconscious of the priest ? and/or feeding the entities because they are not prepared to deal with them ?
If the use of ouija board (or mirrors, bowls...) can lead to nasty things I suppose it is even more dangerous when battling with the unknown in this way osit.

parallel said:
Laura said:
It's a useful book for the person who trusts their own thinking too much.

Just to make sure. When you say "too much", I assume you mean one has proven to self being of good discernment?

I read this book some time ago. The book shows like evil can haunting you, for example suggesting thoughts to you. And the book pointing that no one can't be safe no matter where or who you are or what activities you attend.

parallel said:
Laura said:
It's a useful book for the person who trusts their own thinking too much.

Just to make sure. When you say "too much", I assume you mean one has proven to self being of good discernment?

If I understand you, yes. Someone who thinks that they can think and figure out all the answers.

Truth is, you don't know WHO/WHAT is thinking with your brain...

Laura said:
This is why people get afraid, because they dont understanding 'thinking'. My understanding is that anytime your thinking is not action-based, it is the emotional-thinker at work. If you still allow 'the emotional-thinker' (ie. your emotional past) to take over your mind and you identify with it as yourself, then you are always at risk. I found the hostage book very curious, and it just increased my general caution, but this book also has alot of hollywood type storytelling (which i dont think detracts).

Laura said:
A similar theme as in Operators and Things which upon reading woke me straight out of bumbling about last year. I've astrologically been described as a type that sends a thought 'up over the clouds' and then receives an answer, this kind of "reasoning" in part brought me here and surely this kind of "thinking" has caught quite a few tag along guests (hopefully mostly shaken off by now). These days I'm observing and embodying my thoughts a lot more consciously, but still don't completely trust my thinking. Programs flitting by in the adaptive consciousness would probably be the interface where an entity can manipulate?

A loophole here could be the feeling of being overall colinear but in reality perhaps just mentally tagging along. Dreaming that ones thinking is up to par with the most astute of you, while in reality might just be the adaptive mind modifying and transferring on the fly an image of thinking identity.

I've read the book twice, in 2007 and 2008 respectively.

In late 2007, it was on the recommended list to which I (tried) obtain and read everything therein. I was emotional during the first reading of this book and had difficulty in getting through it because there was so much "eerily" familiarity and feelings, especially with the way the "conversations" went with the certain entities. At the time, I had just break off my association with "Rachel", who had a borderline personality disorder (a very severe case). Some of the "terms" or "phrases" (especially the "confused" state that I was experiencing constantly) used in this book reminded me and/or brought me back to every interaction with Rachel - her emotions, expressions changed every second, from very gentle to extremely nasty. Closer towards the end, I've lost most of my sense of identity and energy due to that interaction. I don't think that the cases in this book are similar to my interactions with her but, it was just really eerie because it brought me back to the experiences that I have had.

In 2008, there was a discussion going about on Spirit Board and Laura recommended a number of books and studies, including the "esoteric matters" (which I've read 23 out of 24 books - had trouble finding Vickers book). And then, I was following the Laura's "order" of readings. During the second reading, I did not get any "eerie" feelings like I had during the previous year - my mindset was to understand the attachments and possessions.

Now, I don't think that I would want to read it again. I mean, I just watched It's a Wonderful Life a few days ago for the first time and I bawled like a baby. I'm more emotional and sensitive now than I was in 2008 (due to EE).

Maby I dont understand you, laura, please explain to me: you don't know WHAT are you thinking, NEVER? or sometimes or in other words, you are in doubts ALL THE TIME?

And respect WHO is thinking when you give for example the healthy recipes or threads of the forum (one of the most interesting thing you can find in internet, becauce is something living) or your research about health in general, in these cases are doubtful, too?

caballero reyes said:
Maby I dont understand you, laura, please explain to me: you don't know WHAT are you thinking, NEVER? or sometimes or in other words, you are in doubts ALL THE TIME?

And respect WHO is thinking when you give for example the healthy recipes or threads of the forum (one of the most interesting thing you can find in internet, becauce is something living) or your research about health in general, in these cases are doubtful, too?

Don't be so literal minded. I'm not talking about myself. I'm talking about the person who never doubts their own thinking and is sure they've got it all tied up, doesn't have a network, doesn't know the science, doesn't know how to effect good spiritual/mental hygiene.

Sheesh!

hallowed said:
Laura said:
This is why people get afraid, because they dont understanding 'thinking'. My understanding is that anytime your thinking is not action-based, it is the emotional-thinker at work. If you still allow 'the emotional-thinker' (ie. your emotional past) to take over your mind and you identify with it as yourself, then you are always at risk.

Action-based thinking - which I understood as thoughts which translate to some physical action - does not keep out emotional thinking. Have you had the opportunity to read the thread Adaptive Unconscious yet? You may also want to go through some of the other recent threads in the psychology and cognitive science section - like
Rational? Logical? Objective? Maybe not...
Do you know when you are lying to yourself?

parallel said:
These days I'm observing and embodying my thoughts a lot more consciously, but still don't completely trust my thinking. Programs flitting by in the adaptive consciousness would probably be the interface where an entity can manipulate?

A loophole here could be the feeling of being overall colinear but in reality perhaps just mentally tagging along. Dreaming that ones thinking is up to par with the most astute of you, while in reality might just be the adaptive mind modifying and transferring on the fly an image of thinking identity.
very interesting comments.
obyvatel said:
Action-based thinking - which I understood as thoughts which translate to some physical action - does not keep out emotional thinking. Have you had the opportunity to read the thread Adaptive Unconscious yet? You may also want to go through some of the other recent threads in the psychology and cognitive science section - like
Rational? Logical? Objective? Maybe not...
Do you know when you are lying to yourself?
No. What i meant by action based-thinking, could best be defined by the person who says "what can i do about my problem" instead of "what will i do about my problem".

Action-based thinking occurs on all levels (incl. physical), like if you are still getting emotional about your parents, rather than get all worked up, you could instead take 'right'-action to address the problem mentally, by changing your perspectives, or putting yourself in the parents shoes, or reaching out to others who have similar issues. It could just be journaling.

But on the other hand, emotional thinking is,"why did this happen to me" "poor me" "how will ever go on" - in other words its self-indulgent rubbish that lets the emotion invade your thinking centre to run amok, because 'I' am not there to feel it in this body and recognise it as the invader in this body.

Second, you bring up the subject of what keeps out emotional thinking, and the answer from my opinion and experience is 'feeling' where the emotion is in this body with your consciousness, and not 'emotionally-thinking' about it with your turgid rational mind.
for eg. when ever i feel the stirring of emotion usually in the guts (where all the s**t is - how appropriate), trying to rise up into my brain, i will say things to myself like ' I know that 'you' are there as 'I' can feel you, but 'I' will not think about you, just feel 'you' in this body'. For 'I' am here, and 'I' am not 'you'.

'I' - the still consciousness
'you' - the emotion

In other words, logical thinking destroys irrational emotional thinking, while holding the emotion in the guts / or shoulders etc. (and out of the brain!). What do you think about what i said? I had an exchange with you once before and i appreciate your perspective.

Hi hallowed,
I had misunderstood the intended meaning of action based thinking. Thanks for the clarification.

Reading it now and I understand the warnings. The speeches given by the possessed and the confusion they suffer from can be contagious if someone hasn't got a good grip on things. I could see someone without spiritual hygiene naively buying some of the pseudologic spouted by the spirits possessing these individuals. The stories themselves are quite scary.

I always thought possession was hollywood-ified: exaggerated beyond reality, and to a certain extent it has been, however when you read the stories themselves it becomes clear how deadly and real the whole affair is.

Back
Top Bottom