Homemade Cola

Mr. Premise

The Living Force
1. Juice from 2 oranges and 2 lemons and 1 lime.
2. Zest from 2 oranges and 2 lemons (or one teaspoon each of orange and lemon extract).
3. ½ teaspoon nutmeg
4. 3 whole cloves, ground
5. 3 cardamon pods, ground
6. 2 inches cinnamon stick, ground
7. 1 ½ tablespoons licorice root
8. 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
9. 2 cups sugar (carmelized, preferably, for color and flavor)
10. 1.5 gallons water
11. 1 teaspoon Champagne yeast

Boil all the ingredients except sugar and vanilla extract lightly for 20 to 30 minutes. The citrus ingredients should be to taste not necessarily exact amounts. Same with sugar (or other fermnentable sweetener) In another pot carmelize the sugar. After carmelized sugar cools, strain the liquid from the other pot and pour over the carmelized sugar and stir until dissolved. Add vanilla extract. When liquid has cooled to lukewarm, add yeast, cover and let sit for 12 hours. Stir, bottle, and cap and let sit at room temperature for 24-48 hours. When sufficiently carbonated put in refrigerator.

Note: if you want to avoid fermentation and yeast flavor, you can reduce water by two thirds making a syrup that can be mixed with carbonated water when it’s time to drink. The syrup also has the advantage of being able to be stored for a long time.

Note: Coca-Cola has more orange taste and Pepsi more lemon, so your preference there can guide you.

(I haven’t found a source of cola nuts to make it real cola)

Thanks for the cola recipe Don :) Sounds delicious and healthy.

I'd like to share our Herbal Ginger Brew recipe, it's quick and easy to make.
You can make just a syrup which can be diluted with soda water or tonic water.

Ginger brew is wonderful for stomach cramps, indigestion, nausea and also an energy stimulant

Herbal Ginger Syrup
1/2 cup peeled sliced ginger
1 cup water
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
1 cup carbonated water
1 tablespoon lemon juice grated lemons, rind of

Cooking Instructions
1. for syrup combine water and ginger in saucepan, simmer for 30 minutes. cool slightly and strain.
2. add maple syrup, stir to mix.
3. stir 2 tbsp of syrup into carbonated water, add lemon juice and peel.

I never tried ginger with maple syrup! It's funny, as you were posting this I was making a batch of cream ginger ale (I took two days off work this week). I'll post that recipe in another thread. I'll have to try your recipe next.

Erykah said:
Thanks for the cola recipe Don :) Sounds delicious and healthy.

I'd like to share our Herbal Ginger Brew recipe, it's quick and easy to make.
You can make just a syrup which can be diluted with soda water or tonic water.

Ginger brew is wonderful for stomach cramps, indigestion, nausea and also an energy stimulant

Herbal Ginger Syrup
1/2 cup peeled sliced ginger
1 cup water
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
1 cup carbonated water
1 tablespoon lemon juice grated lemons, rind of

Cooking Instructions
1. for syrup combine water and ginger in saucepan, simmer for 30 minutes. cool slightly and strain.
2. add maple syrup, stir to mix.
3. stir 2 tbsp of syrup into carbonated water, add lemon juice and peel.

Back
Top Bottom