High Dose Melatonin Therapy

For some years I have been afraid to fall asleep at night - if it was really bad, I stayed awake until morning and only then fell asleep.

NO helped me a lot, I could increase my sleep from 3 hours to about 5 hours and sleep when it was night.
But melatonin is almost a miracle for me. (Thank you for this thread)
This fear of falling asleep has mostly disappeared.
I take 5mg of melatonin - previously I tested 2.5mg, then I increased to 5mg. Sometimes when I am excited (excited with joy) I have to take 10mg.

I now wonder if I have transformed the fear or if I am suppressing the fear. Do you have any ideas?

Well you have to know what you're afraid of first.

I think the most common fear is just the basic fear of advancing the day counter by 1. There is the unspoken illusion that by staying up you can keep the next day from coming. But if you go to sleep you lose all sense of time and then all of a sudden you're right in the middle of the next day. How terrifying!

If you are doing something you enjoy, you may fear that you will not be able to continue doing it tomorrow. After all anything that happens tomorrow is uncertain - much less certain than what will happen in the middle of the night. At least in theory.

There is of course the fear of bad dreams. I think this is not so much the effect of bad dreams as it is the effect that being uncourageous in life has on the constitution. Ideally the struggles occurring in daily life will be important enough that it is worth some bad dreams in order to be fully prepared for the next day. If one shrinks from obstacles in life they can find themselves in the unfortunate position where small things become more and more terrifying. One needs meaningful struggles in life and if life does not provide this (usually by our own fault), then the mind creates it's own.

I think the most common fear is just the basic fear of advancing the day counter by 1. There is the unspoken illusion that by staying up you can keep the next day from coming.

If you are doing something you enjoy, you may fear that you will not be able to continue doing it tomorrow. After all anything that happens tomorrow is uncertain - much less certain than what will happen in the middle of the night. At least in theory.

I think I have a bit of that, but it's also simply not wanting to "give in to the night". And trying to do too many things. There are hard limits where you must stop doing things in order to get enough sleep. Ironically, if you're doing something you enjoy, then the best thing to do is to go to sleep. Because when you get enough sleep, you learn faster and consolidate memories better.

Thinking about it again, rather than assuming it is psychological in nature (could be me projecting) I would guess the melatonin corrected some neurochemical issue that was leading to anxiety. I had similar effects when I started taking thiamine.

I thought I'd post this information here since it does involve the use of high dose melatonin specifically with regard to detoxifying the brain. If this idea interests you, it is important to research the topic thoroughly, so this post is hopefully helpful toward that end.

In the video at the very bottom of this post, the speaker, Dr. Dietrich Klinghardt, is largely addressing autism in children. However, most of what he’s discussing is relevant to us all. And while the extremely high dosages of melatonin he’s discussing are appropriate for severe cases of autism, many of us might benefit from working with these concepts at lower dosages. The high dose melatonin, along with other modalities he discusses — including the proper use of the appropriate binders (extremely important) — are used to detox the brain of aluminum, fluoride, toxic chemicals, etc. For this purpose, the melatonin he’s recommending is either liposomal or transdermal, both of which prove effective for detoxifying the brain.

Klinhardt also states, again with regard to autism, that before detoxifying the brain with high dose melatonin, the lymphatic and venous drainage of the brain need to be opened. There is a cream Klinghardt uses to achieve this (as per the video). I’m leaving open how these ideas and products may be applied to those without autism who are just seeking to detox the brain. In addition to other links I'm posting here, I'll provide a link to U.S. practitioners who have trained with Klinghardt.

Also in the video, Klinghardt points out the rather stunning fact that fifty percent of us will develop Alzheimer’s (I'm uncertain as to whether this is just in the U.S. or worldwide). This is due to the same factors that cause autism: namely, the synergy of mercury, lead, aluminum, agrochemicals — additionally, fluoride, which he has a lot to say about; most significantly, the fact that fluoride is a major factor in preventing the pineal gland from producing melatonin. He also discusses the deleterious effects of EMR.

In addition to viewing the video, I recommend reading this Klinghardt article to more fully understand how heavy metals impede the vital work of the immune system. I know the topic of heavy metals is discussed elsewhere at this forum. However, speaking for myself, I never fully understood how heavy metals deposited at specific sites in the body shut down the immune system at those sites, which then allows prions, retroviruses, etc., to flourish -- again, at those specific sites. So, even if one is treating the immune system holistically, the treatment will be ineffective at the sites where there are heavy metal deposits since the immune system has been shut down in these areas. In other words, heavy metals create a kind of protective shield for chronic disease. But it’s the site specific nature of this that I never fully understood before.

Here's the article:

Klinghardt is an expert in detoxification and the immune system; and, as you’ll see in his talk, he seems to be a visionary in many respects. You can further research his work and the various products and tools he uses at Klinghardt Academy [klinghardtacademy.com].

One tool Klinghardt discusses in the video and recommends for everyone is the ionic foot bath. The brand he recommends is expensive, but unfortunately the cheaper ones don’t work. The high end ones are phenomenal at detoxing through the feet — also the hands, which connects more to the brain. Scroll down the page linked to below and you’ll see the foot bath he recommends (along with some other useful products). People are fooled with the cheaper versions of these foot baths since often there’s a chemical reaction which causes the water to change color and this is erroneously interpreted as the result of detoxification.

For more information on how powerful a tool the ionic foot bath is see the video linked to next to the product information titled "Why use an Ionic Foot Bath," which, again, relates to autism, but you can see more generally how it would be very useful for everyone. Something mentioned in that video is a study in which autistic teenagers— before using any other modalities — were given just the foot bath for a period of time with the result that 65 percent of their symptoms disappeared.

(It occurs to me that the ionic foot bath is something that could be put to use at FOTCM's various locations, in addition to the other healing modalities being used.)

Here's where you can find the ionic foot bath:

Another Klinghardt related item I thought I’d link to is the binder par excellence that he recommends. In the video I’ve been discussing he talks about Chlorella Vulgaris. But he later learned it was really Chlorella Pyrenoidosa that was the most effective for detoxification due to a powerful substance found in the thicker cell wall. The Chlorella Vulgaris, because it has a more permeable cell wall, is better for nutritional supplementation. In addition to the product information, you can watch the short video he has posted along with the product description in which he discusses this. Note: BioPure is the product line Klinghardt is affiliated with, and looks to have very high production standards; Ki Science is another product line he highly recommends, although he has no financial stake.

Klinghardt also highly recommends using a cilantro tincture (BioPure also has this product) to help with detoxification. I remember reading once that cilantro works synergistically with chlorella for detoxification, so this is a confirmation of that.

Here is the Klinghardt video I've been discussing. I believe it offers some important insights, and a workable blueprint to refer to. Again, as I said previously, the high dosages of melatonin he's talking about relates to extreme cases of childhood autism. However, these concepts can be applied more generally with further research and/or guidance from a Klinghardt trained practitioner:

Here’s a link to detailed information related to what he's discussing. Although it pertains to autism, it's relevant to understanding brain function, the complexities of proper detoxification, etc.

What I like about Klinghardt is how specific his protocols are. Some of us may already have a general feel for a lot of what he's talking about, but lack the specifics needed to create the proper protocols. For those interested, it would be beneficial, in the U.S. at least, to find a health practitioner who has trained with Klinghardt. Here's a link from his site to a list of practitioners:

http://www.klinghardtacademy.com/im...inghardt_certified_practitioners.pdf?v=2019.1

A seminal technique these practitioners are taught is called Autonomic Response Testing (ART). Many of us already know about the type of muscle testing utilized in kinesiology. This takes that idea and profoundly expands upon it. Here's a description of how it works:

I do realize this post goes far and above the use of high dose melatonin, but since high dose melatonin is seminal to Klinghardt's treatment of autism, and since these ideas can be applied to the treatment and/or prevention of Alzheimer's (for example), I thought this might be the place to post this. I've been investigating Klinghardt for some time now related to my own health issues, and so I wanted to share some of this information somewhere at the forum.

Last edited:
Thank you for your feedback and big sorry, I did not mention my sleep paralysis. (Article by Sott)

This experience is terrible and hard to put into words.
The figure I perceive always attacks me from behind and tries to strangle me.
Until now I could always save myself with the words "get out!"

The feeling of being strangled and suffocating triggers a real fear of death, which leaves me without energy.

Since taking melatonin, I once had paralysis, that was about 6 weeks or so ago.

It's interesting that I'm no longer afraid to fall asleep - I just would like to know how I managed it.
The last 4 days I have been skipping melatonin to observe my reaction - no anxiety attacks.

(a bad feeling is still there - I can live with that) :cool2:

I found a study that claims melatonin protects mitochondria:

Melatonin, which has been discovered as the hormone of the pineal gland, has been shown to possess numerous protective actions. Its relationship to mitochondria is more profound than previously believed. It has been recently shown to be formed in mitochondria, which also contain melatonin receptors. Its formation in these organelles is of general relevance, especially as melatonin is not only synthesized in the pineal gland, but in numerous, perhaps almost all organs. The quantities of extrapineal melatonin exceed those in the pineal gland by orders of magnitude, but are usually poorly released to the circulation. The mitochondria protecting actions of melatonin are diverse and may be regarded as a full arsenal of defense weapons. Melatonin downregulates the activities of NO synthases in neurons, astrocytes and immune cells including the microglia of the brain, thereby reducing the levels of •NO and the generation of its detrimental products. It also reduces electron leakage by regulating electron flux and by preventing extended periods of opening of the mitochondrial permeability transition pore, through which electrons can leak out. It scavenges free radicals of high reactivity, increases levels of antioxidants such as reduced glutathione (GSH) and activities of antioxidant enzymes, and it can also prevent apoptosis.

Here is the page.

I began taking 3mg melatonin this winter. I take it intermittently - I was concerned that taking too much exogenously would reduce my body's ability to make it. Over the past few months, I have taken 3 mg for 1 week, then none the next week or two, depending on how I feel.

My energy levels are through the roof. I don't attribute this to melatonin alone, but it does comprise one tool in my 'mitochondrial healing' toolbox. I have been diligently working to upgrade my '30 trillion power plants'. So far, the results have been excellent.

I was going to purchase melatonin as I ran out, and came across a message on a webshop which said that starting from July 1st, 2020, all products containing more than 0.3mg of melatonin will only be available as prescription-only medicine (and will likely be more expensive) in the Netherlands. See here (in Dutch). Geez! :-( Well, at least I read this in time, and hopefully will be able to get some 3mg or 5mg melatonin before July 1st. Thought I'd post this to also notify other Dutch members.

I wonder if this will also happen in other European countries.

I was going to purchase melatonin as I ran out, and came across a message on a webshop which said that starting from July 1st, 2020, all products containing more than 0.3mg of melatonin will only be available as prescription-only medicine (and will likely be more expensive) in the Netherlands. See here (in Dutch). Geez! :-( Well, at least I read this in time, and hopefully will be able to get some 3mg or 5mg melatonin before July 1st. Thought I'd post this to also notify other Dutch members.

Hi Oxajil,
You could try this one: Melatonin, 3 mg 60 capsules | Life Extension Europe
Or this one: https://swansoneurope.com/en/melatonin-3mg-nowfoods.html

From what i recall, in the UK melatonin wasn't available over the counter (OTC - meaning no shops were allowed to sell it) and doctors, according to my friend who was a GP, wouldn't prescribe it because it 'wasn't approved as a cost effective supplement for sleep or any other problems', but one could buy it online via international shops like iHerb. A little later a warning message would show up stating the above but the order would still go through.

Here in Macedonia, it is ok to buy it in the pharmacies without a prescription. Doctors never prescribe melatonin here. Usually, it is a mixed with Vit B6 and sometimes with Valeriana. The price is pretty much high. Until recently it was much cheaper to buy it online than in pharmacy here. Last week I ordered online from pipingrock, but the shipping was around 20$. Before this madness, it was 5-7$.

Thank you for the link. I just noticed that in the mainstream pharmacies the normal cheap 500x1mg was swapped for 500x0.3mg and suspected foul play. Good to have a bulk offer there!

Back
Top Bottom