Help on Topic Subscription

Re: Notifications

From what I tell now, I'm getting everything, and it was gmail that is selectively classifying some of my e-mail as spam. I'll have to check them periodically from now on. It is very strange that they would spam so selectively - I would lose only some notifications. And then losing 2 e-mails from a friend (we communicate via e-mail often) - the contents being rad monitoring websites. I know where to look now. Others that think they have missed notifications may also want to check this.

I have the same problem with certain forum notifications as well. Sometimes the emails go to their correct folder, sometimes they are put into spam. I spent a certain amount of time trying to correct this issue with my email provider yet emails from the forum still don't make it past the filters.

Yes, I think a lot of us may have the prob. The only solution I have right now is to go directly to my web e-mail at gmail and look at the junk folder that it filters (independent of my outlook settings!). In my case, when I mark one of them as "not spam", they all come rolling out. I'll just have to see how often I have to do this. It concerns me, though, that it is spamming some of my personal comms with folks.

I just realized that I haven't been getting any notifications on any of the boards or topics I'm subscribed to since Mar. 25.

I checked my email provider (verizon.net), and do not see any emails in my spam folder and cassiopaea.org is not in my blocked senders list.

About a week before I did unsubscribe to one topic (Smoking is...good?), but I continued to receive notifications for other topics and boards in my profile until sometime on Mar. 25.

It looks like a global flag may have been set to unsubscribe me to everything, but it seems I have no access to it.

Any way to check this and turn my notifications back on?

Thanks for your help.

Hi Rawtruth, I've checked your profile and your notifications are turned on and you're currently subscribed to get notifications for 5 boards. I have no idea why you're not getting them, so I'll pass this question along to the smart guys. ;)

Thanks, anart. Any word from the smart guys yet?

Getting no email from the forum for over a month now is making me feel increasingly disconnected from the community here. :(

OK, seems like I'm getting emails on my watched topics and threads now.

Did the smart guys do something? If so, thanks! If not, :huh:

New thread notifications

Hi all,

Is there a way to get a notification of new threads?

I tried to use the RSS feature, but then I get notified of all new posts. Is there a way to tweak the RSS system - or any other way - to only get notified of new threads being opened?

Thanks to all the tech-savvy crowd!

Re: New thread notifications

I'm not sure about RSS feeds, but what I usually do is just view the 'most recent topics.' On that page, it includes the date a thread was created, so perhaps a script could be created to extract that info and deliver the result you seek.

IMO though, some of the most surprising conversations, lessons, and info have started from scratch deep in the middle of existing threads. And often, existing threads take many, many twists and explore different territories at different times, or have very pertinent questions asked, sometimes years after they have started!

Re: New thread notifications

nicklebleu said:
Hi all,

Is there a way to get a notification of new threads?

I tried to use the RSS feature, but then I get notified of all new posts. Is there a way to tweak the RSS system - or any other way - to only get notified of new threads being opened?

Thanks to all the tech-savvy crowd!
Hi nickebleu,

Look on top and to the right of your post above. Also appears at the bottom of a page and to the right. You'll see a few icons that can be clicked. You should see REPLY, ADD BOOKMARK, ADD POLL, NOTIFY, MARK READ, [or MARK UNREAD if you are reading that topic] SEND THIS TOPIC and PRINT.

Note that "REPLY" is highlighted. One of the icons says "Notify". Click that and the icon now changes to "UNNOTIFY". Note that each time you click it, a pop up alert, asks for confirmation. Hope that helps. :)

"Notify" working intermittently?

Am I the only person having trouble with the "Notify" feature? I know that it is designed to hold off notifications until the topic or board is revisited, once a notification has been sent, but taking that into account I seem to have missed quite a number of notifications recently, both of replies and of new topics.

I am going to switch my email address over to my Gmail account to see if that helps. Currently I am using my private domain email. If that server were losing messages, it would cause this problem.

Re: "Notify" working intermittently?

Megan said:
I am going to switch my email address over to my Gmail account to see if that helps. Currently I am using my private domain email. If that server were losing messages, it would cause this problem.

I've been receiving notifications through my Gmail for years now, and it is still working well for me. I did have a few issues a couple years back (particularly with older threads it seemed), but not since then. I use their web-based filtering rules/labels to make sure they are directed into their own folder, and to prevent spam filters from sending them to the wrong place.

Also - I am pretty sure that if you receive a notification for a new reply, until you go view that reply (while logged in), no further notifications are sent until those circumstances have been met. Some of the earlier problems I had were related to this now that I'm thinking about it - I would click the link in the notification e-mail, read the updated posts, and then move on. But since I wasn't logged in, I never got another notification again, and missed future replies in some cases.

No Megan, you're not the only one. I've noticed similar occurrences.

A tentative explanation I've constructed for myself based on several observations would be that one has to be logged in when inspecting notification links in order for later notifications for the same thread to be send to you. Being logged in while reading other threads is also helpful especially when your own posting has been quite a while ago in any particular thread.
There may be other explanations and/or strategies involved of which I have no knowledge, so fwiw.

Just read the posts of Jason(ocean59) while typing and concur with him.

Jason (ocean59) said:
I've been receiving notifications through my Gmail for years now, and it is still working well for me. I did have a few issues a couple years back (particularly with older threads it seemed), but not since then. I use their web-based filtering rules/labels to make sure they are directed into their own folder, and to prevent spam filters from sending them to the wrong place.

I use a filter to move the notifications to an "Alerts" folder (and keep them out of the inbox) but "Never send it to spam" was not checked (it is now--thanks!). But then there are no notifications in the Spam folder either.

Hopefully having the notifications go directly to GMail will be more reliable, instead of going first to my own domain and then forwarded to GMail as they were before.

Back
Top Bottom