Healthy Eating Cookbook

Pinkerton said:
Be careful with the chicken stock Gimpy. Most brands have some evil ingredients in them. Look for the organic kind which only contains healthy ingredients plus the cryptic "natural chicken flavors".

Yeah, I ended up using some jar of chicken soup base hubby got at GFS (gordon food service). We very rarely use it now that we've changed our diet, but I figure now and then its not going to be bad.

I love to make my own stock, and lately when I do brew up a bird, Hubby dives into it and we end up eating it through the week. :D It very rarely makes it to the freezer.

Gimpy said:
Yeah, I ended up using some jar of chicken soup base hubby got at GFS (gordon food service). We very rarely use it now that we've changed our diet, but I figure now and then its not going to be bad.

If it has MSG in it, NO amount is okay. That stuff is poison and ingestion of any amount kills brain cells.

Laura said:
Gimpy said:

If it has MSG in it, NO amount is okay. That stuff is poison and ingestion of any amount kills brain cells.

That I didn't know. :( Sounds like time to pitch and sort the spice cabinet, I really don't have brain cells to spare.

Gimpy said:
That I didn't know. :( Sounds like time to pitch and sort the spice cabinet, I really don't have brain cells to spare.

I believe that there is a thread in the forum here devoted to MSG and its evils - and also one about aspartame. We have a book about MSG with all the research in it and it is truly frightening.

Recipe: Spinach and Herb Soup

One of my favorite recipes for spinach. Amounts are approximate, please adjust to taste.

3 to 4 stalks of celery, chopped
1 small onion or 1/2 medium onion, chopped
1 to 2 cloves of garlic (I add more as I love garlic)
1 to 2 tablespoons butter or olive oil or a combination of the two as per individual needs dictate.
1 teaspoon tarragon (2 teaspoons if using fresh tarragon)
4 to 6 cups stock (vegetarian or chicken - homemade or storebought without MSG of course)
1 bag frozen spinach

Saute the celery, onion, and garlic in butter/olive oil. When onions become translucent, add tarragon and continue to saute for just a moment more. Add stock and spinach and bring to simmer. Simmer for about 10 to 15 minutes and then puree in blender.

This soup is heavenly, but I love tarragon and could be biased.

Kwality Kassiopaean Kookin'

I thought I would start posting some of the recipes that people ask me for in emails. I often mention some of our meals and since I have been very involved in modifying our eating to meet what we are now calling The Liberation Diet, some of these recipes may give hope to those of you who think that it's all just beans, brown rice and Veggies.

Yes, Veggies, Beans and Brown Rice should be the bulk of your diet, but "bulk of the diet" can be interpreted in different numbers for different people according to their blood type.

I hope that everyone who reads this has read Sherry Rogers' book "Detoxify or Die," Leo Galland's "The Fat Resistance Diet" and "The Magnesium Miracle" for background. There's a new book we are putting on our recommendation list: "The UltraMind Solution: The Simple Way to Defeat Depression, Overcome Anxiety, and Sharpen Your Mind" by Mark Hyman, M.D.. This book has some quizzes in it that you can check out in this thread:
http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=11672.0

Warning: Dr. Hyman is not really onto some things about food and cooking, though he does a relatively decent job and does mention some info that I didn't know. For example, he points out that people who test as low thyroid, ought not to eat things from the cabbage/broccoli family as they tend to suppress the thyroid. He also has tofu and some other soy in his diet and we know that soy is EVIL - even if it is prepared properly, can we be certain that it is not GMO soy???

Also, he mentions using non-stick cookware and I don't think ANY of it is safe. Best to invest in a few good high-quality stainless pans and a stainless pressure cooker. We use our pressure cooker EVERY DAY!

So, there are some flaws in the book, but the quizzes and the recommended supplements that are a bit more specific than the shotgun plan we've been using where we just take about everything. This more specific supplement plan sure saves a lot of money!

Dr. Hyman also has a chapter about "reintroducing wheat and sugar. Actually, I think those things should NEVER be reintroduced! Especially not wheat! Sugar, maybe rarely.

Anyway, if ya'll find other recipes on the forum here, let me know and let's try to get them all in one place!

People seem to be MOST interested in my "goodie recipes" so I'll start with those. The main thing about them is that they are GLUTEN FREE and SUGAR FREE for the most part:

Carrot Cake

1 cup rice flour
1 cup tapioca, quinoa or chestnut flour
3/4 cup corn starch
1 tsp potato flour or potato starch
1 1/4 tsp xanthan gum or guar gum
2 teaspoons Egg Replacer
2 1/2 teaspoons baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 3/4 cups xylitol
4 large eggs
1 1/2 cups grape seed oil
1 1/4 cups crushed pineapple in natural juice
2 cups grated carrots
1 cup chopped or ground walnuts or pecans (I grind them for better flavor and texture)
1 cup golden raisins (you can use black ones, but I prefer golden in all cases)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter three 8" round cake pans.

In a medium bolw, combine all the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly with a whisk. This includes the flours, sugar, xanthan gum and egg replacer, baking soda, salt, spices, etc.

In another medium bowl beat the eggs slightly and then add the oil and pineapple.

While beating slowly, add the dry ingredients to the egg, oil and pineapple mixture. As soon as it is mixed stop beating it.

Add the nuts and raisins and mix in. Stir only until well incorporated.

Spoon or pour the mixture into the cake pans. If they are 9 inch, it will only take two pans.

Bake for 30 to 35 minutes until a tester comes out clean.

Remove from pans and coll on racks.

To make frosting: Use mascarpone or ricotta instead of evil cream cheese. Mix with a cup of xylitol and put between and on top of layers. It will be a bit soft, but one has to learn to adjust to new textures when eating healthy.

You can also bake the cake in a sheet pan and spread the cheese on top and after refrigerating, it will be firmer.

Angel Food Cake

1/3 cup potato starch
1/3 cup cornstarch
1/3 cup xylitol
1 teaspoon lemon zest
12 large egg whites
2 tablespoons pure water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
3/4 cup of xylitol
1 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Butter a bundt pan.

Sift together 4 times the potato starch, cornstarch and the 1/3 cup sugar. Add the lemon zest and mix.

In a large bowl whip the egg whites, water, salt and cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Slowly add the 3/4 cup xylitol and beat in quickly.

Fold in the dry ingredients mixing carefully. Add the vanilla.

Spoon or pour into the bundt pan. Cut through the batter with a knife to eliminate air pockets.

Bake for 35 minutes. Reverse the pan immediately when you remove from the oven and stand it on its tubular center until cool. Drop the cake, reversed, onto the serving plate.

This is a perfect cake to make a trifle with.

You can put it in a large bowl instead of on a plate and make a large portion of pudding to pour over it and into the center. Do this while the pudding is warm. Cool in the refrigerator.

How to make the pudding?

Well, a simple tapioca made with almond milk or rice milk is always good. Use several (or all) of the egg yolks to make the custard.

How to make a custard?

For every 4 egg yolks use:
1/2 cup xylitol
3/4 cup rice milk or almond milk
1 tablespoon gelatiin (plain)
1//2 cup cold water
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/8 teaspoon salt

Beat the egg yolks together with the xylitol, rice/almond milk and salt in the top of the double boiler (bain Marie). Cook slowly until it is custard consistency.

Dissolve the gelatin in the cold water and add to the custard before removing from fire. Stir for 20 seconds or so to fully incorporate.

Remove from fire. Add vanilla.

Now, you can do a lot of things with this basic custard. You can add bananas to it, other fruits. If you do, you may need to add a bit more xylitol. You can then pour it in custard dishes or over cakes. You can do this warm if the cake is in a bowl, or spoon it on like ice cream when cooled.

You can also use the whites from the four eggs to make meringue (add about 1/3 cup xylitol to the meringue and a pinch of cream of tartar. Then, fold the warm custard into the meringue.

This will make a chiffon. You can add many things to this chiffon:
fruit - whole or pureed
cocoa powder
ground nuts of varying sorts
You can also mix a cup of natural peanut butter in the custard while it is cooking and make a peanut butter chiffon.

This recipe can make great pies. Just use ground almonds mixed with butter like a graham cracker crust. Spread in the pie plate, bake until golden brown before pouring in the filling.

Nut Shortbread

1 lb of good butter
8 tablespoons of xylitol
2 cups rice flour
1 cup tapioca flour
1 cup potato flour
1 cup of ground pecans or walnuts
1 large tsp of vanilla and lemon.

Heat oven to 275 degrees F.

You will have to mix this shortbread up with your hands. Then roll into balls and place on the cookie sheet and flatten carefully with a glass. You'll want to leave them about 1/4 inch thick because they will not rise!

Bake slowly until lightly golden brown. Remove quickly and carefully with a spatula and lay on wax paper to cool.

These cookies are VERY fragile, so handle with care. But I can tell you it is like have real Pecan Sandies!!!

Death By Chocolate

This "Death by Chocolate" is my own invention. The basic part of it is a great gluten free Devil's Food Cake that I guarantee will be the best you have ever eaten!

3/4 cup boiling water
1 cup pure cocoa powder
3/4 cup buttermilk
3/4 cup rice flour
3/4 cup tapioca flour
1/4 cup corn starch
1 tablespoon potato starch
1 scant tsp xanthan gum or guar gum
1 tsp baking powder (tet a good natural one from a bio store)
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp Egg Replacer
1 1/2 cup xylitol
1/2 cup home made mayonnaise
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9X13 sheet cake pan with butter and dust with rice flour.

Pour the cocoa powder into the boiling water and whisk rapidly until mixed well. Add buttermilk and mix.

In a medium bowl whisk together the dry ingredients, flours, xanthan gum, baking powder, baking soda, salt, egg replacer. Mix very thoroughly.

In another bowl beat the xylitol, mayonnaise, eggs and vanilla.

Add the dry ingredients and beat only until well mixed.

Pour batter into the pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes. (You can also bake in regular cake pans, but must take great care handling the cake as it is light and fragile.)

When cake is done, pour chocolate Chiffon over the top. Make a double recipe for this. See recipe above for chiffon.

Ricotta or Mascarpone Pound Cake

1 cup rice flour
1 cup tapioca flour
1/2 cup corn starch
1 rounded tsp xanthan gum or guar gum
1/2 rounded tsp baking soda
1/2 cup butter
8 ozs ricotta or mascarpone
2 1/2 cups xylitol
3/4 cups buttermilk
3 whole eggs
3 egg whites
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 tsp almond extract

Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Butter a bundt pan or two 9 inch cake pans.

In a medium bowl mix the flours, xanthan gum, and baking soda. Mix well.

In another bolw beat the butter, cheese, sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the buttermilk. Add the eggs and egg whites one at a time, beating well after each. Add the extracts and beat well.

Slowly beat in the dry mixture and mix well.

Pour the batter into the bundt pan or 2 cake pans. The bundt cake will take about an hour, the cake divided into two will cook faster. Start checking at about 30 minutes.

Cool cake in the pan for ten minutes before turning out on a serving plate.

We made the filling for lemon pie to pour over this cake. You can do it between the layers and on top for the layer version, or just pour it over the whole cake and in the center for the bundt version.

This cake is excellent all by itself!

Here is the recipe for the lemon pie filling:

1 1/4 cup xylitol
1/3 cup cornstarch
1/8 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup water
Juice of two lemons and zest from both
4 large egg yolks, beaten
3 Tbsp butter

Blend sugar, cornstarch and salt together in a saucepan. Add cold water, lemon juice, lemon zest and beaten egg yolks. Bring to a boil slowly while stirring constantly. If you get lumps, put it in the blender and get them out.

Simmer until filling is thickened, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in butter.

Now, you can pour this directly over a cake (the pound cake above is perfect, but so is the angel food cake posted earlier). OR, you can put it in a ground almond piecrust and top with meringue.

You can also thin the lemon filling with a bit of water and then mix it with the meringue for a lemon chiffon.

If you like, you can do this recipe with Key Lime juice for a real kick.

I have just had an angioplasty, and still have some blockages. However rather than have more interventions I am intending to follow the dietary regime recommended by Dr Caldwell B Esselstyn. He has carried out long-term studies using diet and has been quite successful in reversing arterial plaque buildup through diet alone with no additional treatment.

The diet is basically this:
100% Vegan - most fruits, vegetables, roots, grains, legumes with no restrictions on quantities
No animal products or dairy of any kind
No fats or oils
No nuts or oil bearing seeds
No coconut
No avocado because of its high fat content
Reduced salt (1/2 tsp per day max.)
No straight fruit juices because of high sugar content but you can have a little juice with mineral water.
Spices are OK
Do not add sugar to things - sweeten with unsweetened applesauce, or include prunes or dates in baking recipes
1 glass of red wine is ok on occasion

He has many recipes in his book 'Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease', and discussion of proteins etc.

So I am giving it a try and will let you folks know how it turns out.

pstott said:
I have just had an angioplasty, and still have some blockages. However rather than have more interventions I am intending to follow the dietary regime recommended by Dr Caldwell B Esselstyn. He has carried out long-term studies using diet and has been quite successful in reversing arterial plaque buildup through diet alone with no additional treatment.

Hi pstott,

Sherry Rogers deals quite extensively with the connections between toxicity and arterial plaque in Detoxify Or Die, and Carolyn Dean shows the links between magnesium deficiency and plague in The Magnesium Miracle

Two threads are dedicated to magnesium and detoxification.

You might be interested in those readings and maybe you'll consider adding some magnesium supplements and detox strategies to your current diet.

More recipes:

Easy curried carrot soup

1lb carrots, chopped into 1cm rounds
1 med onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp coriander
1 tbsp curry powder (check ingredients to make sure no-no's are not present)
1 tsp ginger
Compliant oil (grape seed, olive oil, etc.)

Saute onion and garlic in oil until golden. Add spices, cook for 30 seconds to 1 minute. Add carrots, and cover with a generous amount of water. Bring to a boil, and let simmer until carrots are soft (20-30 minutes). Puree with immersion blender or in actual blender. You may need to add some more water to thin this. Serves 4.

Similar recipe: Easy Thai Squash soup

1 large onion, chopped
3-4 cloves garlic, chopped
2-3 lbs butternut or other winter squash, cubed
generous tsp coriander
1 tbsp curry powder
1 tsp garam masala
1 can coconut milk
1 bunch cilantro, chopped
oil

Saute onions and garlic in oil until golden. Add spices for 30 seconds-1 minute. Then add squash, mix it all together, and cover with water. Let cook until squash is soft (around 20 minutes). Puree squash in blender or with immersion blender, and add back to pot. Add can of coconut milk, stir and heat until warm. Before serving, add in one bunch (1-2 cups) of chopped cilantro. I also will sometimes add any leftover greens hiding out in the fridge: spinach, kale, collards are all great choices.

Date balls

These are a snack for when I really want to satisfy a sweet tooth. They don't require any cooking.

1 lb pureed dates (I find them ready to go in a local middle-eastern market, otherwise you can just puree them in a blender)
1/4 cup carob powder
around 3/4 cup peanut butter
sesame seeds and flaxseeds

Mix dates, carob powder, and peanut butter in bowl until the mixture is well distributed throughout. You may need to add extra peanut butter to do so. Roll into balls and cover with mixture of sesame seeds and flax seeds.

You could easily substitute another nut butter of your choice and use different seeds and/or chopped nuts to coat.

Mashed cauliflower

This is from BTD cookbook, slightly adapted. An interesting alternative to mashed potatoes or other starches, with the benefits of being a cruciferous vegetable.

1 head cauliflower
2 tbsp oil
4-6 cloves garlic, crushed
water
3-4 tbsp chopped fresh parsley (I like to use dill instead)
salt

Cut cauliflower into uniform sections. In a large skillet, heat oil, and saute garlic. Add cauliflower pieces and turn to coat with oil. Add about 1 cup of water and bring to a low boil. Cover pan, and let the cauliflower steam. When cauliflower is soft but firm, the water should be almost absorbed. If not, remove lid and let excess liquid boil away. Mash with the back of a wooden spoon or potato masher. Add parsley and salt to taste.

Serves 4

From Clean Eating Magazine March/April 2009

Quinoa Sopa Seca

Ingredients:

1 tbsp Olive Oil
3 green onions, thinly sliced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 tsp Oregano leaves
1 clove Garlic, minced
1 cup Quinoa
1/2 cup peas
1/2 cup tomatoes, seeded and chopped
2 Cups water

In a medium saucepan with a lid, warm oil over med-high heat. Add onions and peppers and cook, stirring, until soft. About 5 minutes. Add Oregano and Garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Stir in Quinoa, then pour in water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer until liquid is absorbed. About 12 minutes. Turn off heat and stir in peas and tomatoes. Cover pan again and let stand until vegetables are warm. About 5 minutes.

Delicious :)
edit, spelling

Back
Top Bottom