Healthy Eating Cookbook

allen

Jedi Master
I thought a section just for recipes would be a good idea, especially since I made some really kickin' collards last night and wanted to share. Simple to make and easy as pie...actually much much easier than pie!

Kickin' Crockpot Collards

4 bunches of collards, washed and cut into strips (don't include the big fat stem)
1 onion, finely chopped
6 cloves of garlic, all smashed and chopped up (I love garlic)
1 1/2 cups of broth (take your pick: veg, chicken, beef)
Sea salt and pepper to taste

As anyone who is a fan of collards knows, the longer you cook them the better they are. This is where the slow cooker comes in. I just throw all of the above into the slow cooker, set it on low and come back 8 hours later to some truly yummy greens! :cool2:

Re: Detox Cookbook

Hey- great minds think alike. I posted a similar recipe here (http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=10520.0) recently. I think it would be a great idea to have a little detox cookbook- and maybe if enough recipes are found, it could be turned into a SOTT fundraiser project?

Burma Jones said:
I thought a section just for recipes would be a good idea, especially since I made some really kickin' collards last night and wanted to share. Simple to make and easy as pie...actually much much easier than pie!

Great idea!  I'm not much of a cook, and all this detox eating is kinda overwhelming for somebody who can barely boil water.  I hope  others will chime in here with some great (and easy) receipes.  Or even just some suggestions for a different take on rice and beans.  ;D

For a slightly more oriental style...

Pak choi with fish (for 2)

1-2 pak choi washed and cut into squares
1-2 bell peppers chopped.
1-2 onions chopped finely
1/2 - 1 small carrot, in fine strips
3-6 cloves of garlic chopped.
1 fish (I use trout) cut into strips
salt and pepper.

In a wok (or big frying pan - teflon free) put a little bit of grape seed oil. Put the fish first and let it cook, then add the stems of the pak choi. After that looks relatively done, add the bell peppers, onions, and finally the carrots and let them cook. Add the leaves of the pak choi at the end so it won't overcook. Finally, you add the garlic, salt and pepper when its ready.

Alternatively, you can use chicken or meat, but I find that with trout/fish comes really good. And I do it with a LOT of onions and garlic.

Simple and super yummy!

Here is a dish I made a few times over the summer. I first had it at a party, where it was a super-hit. It's a recipe from a former chef. Everyone in my family raves about it too. You have to prep ingredients in advance, but cooking is easy -- it's just mixing them -- and it keeps well.

Sprouted Lentil Salad

A cup or so of dry lentils (big green kind is best), sprouted
A large carrot,
A red onion
A couple of celery sticks and
A piece of red cabbage, all chopped as finely as you can

Mix all together, add dressing.

Dressing: 1:1 mix of olive and other vegetable oil (pure olive oil is OK but it tends to congeal in a fridge), some rice vinegar, a teaspoon of honey. Can also add a teaspoon of Bragg's liquid aminos.

How to sprout lentils: soak overnight, and then put in a colander over a cheese cloth, cover with another wet cheese cloth and keep moist for another 2-3 days.

Very filling, very crunchy and fresh

Sounds great, but I would not make anything with Bragg's amino acids - it's MSG by another name.  There is quite a bit of info on the web about it.  I think it's covered in the thread in which vegemite/nutritional yeast is discussed (both excitotoxins as well). Mercola has info on it as well - so might want to check into that.

Vegetable oil? No way! Only olive oil, hemp seed oil, pumpkin seed oil, or other nut oils. Vegetable oil is evil!

Hi,

This one takes a while to prep but you can make a whole tray of it to last a few days.

Layered Autumn Farmhouse Pie.

500g Mince (could be Beef, Lamb or Turkey)
2 cups long grain brown rice
1 medium Cauliflower - cut into small florets
2 decent sized leeks - sliced into wheels
1 cup of raw butternut squash - cubed
1 large onion - diced
1 can tomatoes
1 carrot - grated
1 stick of celery - finely diced
1 decent size garlic clove - minced
1 dessert spoon fresh thyme
1 tablespoon fresh oregano (or 1 dessert spoon dried)
1 bell pepper, sliced thinly.
1 Organic Yeast free stock cube (chicken or vegetable flavour)
A glug of Apple Cider Vinegar
Salt and pepper to season
Olive oil

Ok, first up preheat the oven to 200C or Gas mark 6.
Slice the 2 leeks into little wheels about 1 inch wide and combine on baking tray with the cubed squash. Give the mix a generous slug of olive oil, enough to coat everything and give it a quick mix to make sure everything is covered, add a couple pinches of salt, little bit of pepper and put in the oven until the leeks are pretty brown and crispy on the outside (about 40 mins, or 20ish in fan assisted oven) Dont let them burn though!

While that nice stuff is roasting, get the brown rice and the stock cube into a pan, and cover with enough boiling water so that there is about an inch of water above the rice. Boil over a moderate heat for 30 mins until rice is soft but stilll a bit chewy. There should be no need to drain, after the 30 mins if there is still a little water in the pan, just pop the pan lid on and leave for 10 mins or so while the rice absorbs the water.

While the rice is boiling, put the cauliflower florets into a pan of boiling salted water for 8 mins or so, until they are mostly boiled but still have bite. Drain and put to one side.

Next we need to brown the mince, put it into a frying pan on a moderate heat with a dime -sized drop of olive oil and the diced celery - season with fresh black pepper to bring the oil out of the meat. After about 5 mins of light frying add the minced garlic and oregano. After about 10 mins remove the mince mixture from the pan with a slotted spoon, trying to leave as much oil in the pan as possible.

Next, saute the onions in the same pan, using the meaty oil and a pinch of salt over a low heat for about 5 mins, just let them sweat down, they dont need to brown too much. Then add the boiled cauliflower, and continue for another 5-7 mins.

Remove onions & cauliflower from the pan and add the grated carrot and swish the around the pan to soak up the flavours of the meat, after a couple of minutes add a splash of cider vinegar to deglaze the pan. just keep stirring for a couple minutes while the cider vinegar thickens up and evaporates, then add the canned tomatoes and fresh thyme. Bring to a light simmer.
Basically you can get all the other ingredients done while the leeks and squash are roasting.

When the leeks and squash are done, put them and a little of the oil they were cooking in into a blender and puree them down - doesnt need to be totally liquidified though, better with a few chunks still in.

Now time to build the pie.
Get an oven proof dish (A rectangular lasagne dish is perfect). Put the cauliflower and onions on the bottom and spread out evenly. Next add a thin layer of brown rice. Then layer the mince mixture over the rice. Then add another thin layer of rice. Then paint the leek/squash puree onto that layer of rice. Then another thin layer of rice and put the tomatoes and carrot sauce on the top, season for taste. Finally evenly place the pepper slices. Bake in a 190C (gas mark 5) oven for 20 mins.

The good thing about this pie is most of the ingredients can be substituted. As long as it has a moist topping its good to go with practically any sturdy vegetable and meat. For those who can eat cheese, it is excellent when grated on top like lasagne.

Sweet and Sour Crispy chicken with fried rice.

This one is fast and easy.

2 organic chicken breasts, sliced into thin square strip (like carrot battons)
1 medium onion - roughly diced
1 bell pepper (any colour) - roughly chopped
Juice of two freshly squeezed lemons
Apple Cider vinegar
Stevia
1 large egg
1 tsp Chinese 5 spice
1 heaped dessert spoon of cornstarch
Couple of handfuls of curly Kale - chopped and washed
2 cups Brown Rice
1 tablespoon Sesame Oil
1 small piece of fresh ginger - sliced into thin matchsticks
1 large garlic clove - minced
1 tbsp water
Salt and Pepper to season

For the fried rice.

The thing I like about brown rice is you dont need to let it cool right down when making fried rice (unlike its white counterpart). Put a pan on a moderate heat, add some sesame oil and the rice, turn the rice to coat it in the oil and once it starts to sizzle add enough boiling water so that its 1 inch above the rice. Season well with salt. Boil for about 28-30 mins until water has been absorbed. Leave to stand for 5 mins (uncovered), then put a wok or large pan on a high heat, add a glug of sesame oil then add the rice, stirring constantly so it doesnt stick. Fry for 4 -5 mins. You could add cooked vegetables to the rice if you wish. Also good with baby prawns added.

For the Sweet and Sour Sauce.

Saute the onions, ginger and bell pepper in the sesame oil on a light heat for 6 mins, add the garlic and continue for another 3 mins. Add the lemon juice, wtaer and a splash of cider vinegar, and allow to absorb and thicken a bit. Then you need to add enough Stevia so that the balance of Sweet and Sour is to your taste. Just add a little at a time until the right flavour. Once thats done, if the sauce is a little on the watery side, put a teaspoon of cornstarch into 100mls of cold water, mix until dissolved and add to the sauce to thicken it.

For the Chicken.

Crack the egg into a bowl and lightly beat it. Add the dessert spoon of cornstarch and quickly whisk, add the Chinese 5 spice and mix in. Add the thin chicken strips to the mixture and coat evenly. Get a large flat frying pan, put on a moderate heat with a decent glug of sesame oil and start placing in the coated chicken strips. Dont put too many in the pan at once, cook in batches if needs be. Fry the chicken until crispy on the outside, turning once, about 4-5 mins. Place into a covered dish until ready to serve.

For the crispy Kale.

After frying the chicken there should be a little of the batter mixture left, just drop the kale into the batter and mix it around. Then add to a hot frying pan for 3 mins.

Serve the chicken on the rice, covered with the sauce and Kale on the side.

Laura said:
Only olive oil, hemp seed oil, pumpkin seed oil, or other nut oils.
I guess that coconut oil falls under that category as well.

I read this about it:

_http://www.mnwelldir.org/docs/nutrition/coconut.htm
Coconut oil improves digestion and absorption of fat soluble vitamins, minerals (especially calcium and magnesium), and amino acids. It improves the body’s use of blood glucose and improves insulin secretion and absorption (great for type II diabetes). In fact, many diabetics (type I and type II) use it to reduce their symptoms. One’s risk of diabetes decreases with regular use of coconuts and coconut oil. And as we already mentioned, cooking with coconut oil does not create any harmful byproducts.

And what is said about it in here.

And here:

One of the safest substances known to man is breast milk. This is where the monoglyceride of lauric acid is found. When an infant is born, it is totally dependent on food factors in the mother’s milk for immune protection. In analyzing the composition of human breast milk, medical researchers found lauric acid monoglycerides in high concentrations, which is what led them to study Monolaurin as an anti-viral agent. Monolaurin is also found in coconut oil, butter, and heavy cream; only recently has it been isolated and purified.

[...]

Monolaurin was able to solubulize the enveloped membrane of 14 human RNA and DNA viruses. These include the flu virus, RSV, Rubela, Newcastle’s Coronavirus, Herpes Simplex types 1 and 2, the Epstein-Barr Virus (EBV) and cytomegalovirus.

and here:

* Coconut oil Helpful and safe, but works only for a week.

[...]

Is coconut oil the cure for everything?

Another natural anti-yeast treatment is plain old ordinary coconut oil. This natural substance has been known for many centuries to prevent yeast infections in women in Pacific islands.

Finally, the oils in coconut oil have been tested against Candida yeast.

Both capric and lauric acid found in coconut oil in very large amounts, were totally, absolutely, completely lethal to Candida yeast.

Bergsson and Thormar writing in Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy wrote: "The susceptibility of Candida albicans to several fatty acids and their 1-monoglycerides was tested with a short inactivation time, and ultra-thin sections were studied by transmission electron microscopy after treatment with capric acid (found in coconut oil). The results show that capric acid, a 10-carbon saturated fatty acid, causes the fastest and most effective killing of all three strains of C. albicans tested, leaving the cytoplasm disorganized and shrunken because of a disrupted or disintegrated plasma membrane. Lauric acid (also found in coconut oil), a 12-carbon saturated fatty acid, was the most active at lower concentrations and after a longer incubation time. Read the full article here and the 1.03 mb PDF version here.

It is interesting that people who eat a lot of coconuts live in areas where yeast and fungi are extremely plentiful, yet they are rarely troubled by infections. Only in more temperate climates where processed vegetable oils are the main source of dietary fat are yeast infections, skin fungus, acne, and other skin infections big problems.

Much more research needs to be done on the effectiveness of coconut oil in curing Candida, but for now the evidence suggests a good quality Virgin Coconut Oil is one of the best weapons in killing Candida. Much information is on the internet concerning the use of coconut oil to treat yeast infections. It is also an excellent topical anti-yeast agent for treating vaginal yeast infections. Read why coconut oil is one of the most health promoting foods on Earth here.

Bruce Fife reporting in his book: "The overall health of both groups of Pacific Islanders was extremely good compared to Western standards. There were no signs of kidney disease or hypothyroidism that might influence fat levels. There was no hypercholesterolemia (high blood cholesterol). All inhabitants were lean and healthy despite a very high saturated-fat diet from coconut oil. In fact, the populations as a whole had ideal weight-to-height ratios as compared to the Body Mass Index figures used by nutritionists. Digestive problems are rare. Constipation is uncommon. They average two or more bowel movements a day. Atherosclerosis, heart disease, colitis, colon cancer, hemorrhoids, ulcers, diverticulosis, and appendicitis are conditions with which they are generally unfamiliar." Enough said? Try 3 to 4 tablespoons per day.

It will not make you fat, and best of all it is non-toxic, very much unlike many prescription antifungals. But, start out with a low dose until you find out what your side effects from the break down of yeast affects you. You may say, "Yuck, coconut oil is a saturated fat!" Yes, but it is one very healthy food, and this is another highly important food that we have been conned into believing is bad for us by the American Soybean Association, Center for Science in the Public Interest and others interested in promoting their own products without regard for our health (a trade war). Search for more information about this issue here.
Read how coconut oil is the healthiest oil on Earth.

[...]

Yes, sorry that I didn't specifically mention coconut oil.

Oxajil said:
Enough said? Try 3 to 4 tablespoons per day.

It will not make you fat, and best of all it is non-toxic, very much unlike many prescription antifungals. But, start out with a low dose until you find out what your side effects from the break down of yeast affects you. You may say, "Yuck, coconut oil is a saturated fat!" Yes, but it is one very healthy food, and this is another highly important food that we have been conned into believing is bad for us by the American Soybean Association, Center for Science in the Public Interest and others interested in promoting their own products without regard for our health (a trade war). Search for more information about this issue here.
Read how coconut oil is the healthiest oil on Earth.
That's good to know. Coconut oil is relatively cheap here and easy to throw into a breakfast smoothie.

Laura said:
]A Detox cookbook thread would be a lot more boring, believe me... I'm even thinking that this is what we should do and then those who are seriously detoxing can just post what they are eating and how they are preparing it.

Note to mods: if you decide to spilt the thread along these lines, the following detox suggestion might go into the new thread?

I've been drinking Laura's morning shake with supplements for two weeks now. It's quite a sludge to face first thing in the morning - I don't look forward to the spirulina! I hoped that I would acquire a taste for it by now, but it's not happening for me!

So I tried combining breakfast with the shake:

Heat organic oats in a little water, stirring frequently.

Add in your berries

Keep stirring

Once your porridge is about ready (it's up to you how viscous you like it), add in the spirulina, flax oil, vitamin C/ascorbate powder. I then add stevia to sweeten. Maybe a freshly squeezed lemon would go well with it?

Now you can add Oat/Rice/Almond milk to dilute your oats and cool the temperature, as you wish.

Voila! Chlorophyll-green porridge with warm berries bobbing in it :)

It's a handy way to defrost the berries if you don't have a nuker. And a fairly substantial breakfast for the winter season.

EDIT: Well, after eating Kniall's Green Porridge for 2 mornings straight, it looks like I won't be keeping it up!

I'm blood type O, so oats are supposed to be off the menu anyway. I'm two weeks into a detox ('hardcore' on Laura's scale) - so I'm paying attention to body's responses. I noticed a slight sensation of heartburn throughout the morning and suspect that my esophagus/food tract was irritated; inflammation from the gluten in the oats perhaps.

I think I'll try an oat bath instead :)

Re: Detoxify or Die Cookbook

Laura said:
I'm really sorry that detoxing is so limited in foods, but maybe some of you can come up with some nice recipes out of what is allowed?

This is one of my favorite vegetarian meals. I've started doubling the recipe because it has a long prep time and it keeps well. Also, I tend to prefer broccoli over cauliflower. Use the mango sauce sparingly if you're still trying to get rid of candida.

Aloo Gobi Burgers (with Mango Sauce)

Serves: 8
Preparation Time: 60 minutes

Ingredients:
2-3 whole baked potatoes, peeled and chilled (1 cup diced)
1/2 cup raw cashews
1 small onion, chopped
1 tbs minced fresh ginger (about 1 inch thick piece)
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbs apple juice (or water)
1 tbs mild curry powder
1/2 teaspoon cardamom
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon coriander
15 ounces no salt canned chickpeas, drained (1.5 cups cooked)
3 tbs no salt added tomato paste
2 teaspoons Knorr vegetable soup recipe mix
1/8 teaspoon black pepper (to taste only)
2 tbs fresh parsley, chopped
1/2 cup raw (unsalted) cashews
1.5 cups cauliflower florets, chopped

Instructions:
1. The night before making burgers, bake 2 large or 3 medium sized
potatoes at 350 for about an hour, or until potatoes are tender, but
still firm. Refrigerate overnight.

2. In food processor or coffee grinder, chop cashews into flour. Set aside.

3. Saute chopped onion, garlic, and minced ginger on medium heat in
apple juice. Add water as necessary to prevent burning. When onion is
tender, add curry powder, cardamom, turmeric, and coriander. Saute one
more minute, stirring constantly.

4. In food processor, combine chickpeas, onion and spice mixture,
tomato paste, Knorr veggie mix, pepper, and parsley. Process until smooth. Add
cashew meal and process again, until combined evenly. Transfer bean
mixture to a large bowl and set aside.

5. Microwave or steam chopped cauliflower until soft but still firm.
Add to bean mixture.

6. Peel cold baked potatoes and chopped into small squares. Add to bean mixture.

7. Make sure potatoes and cauliflower are distributed evenly
throughout bean mixture. Form mixture into eight burgers, using about
a half cup for each patty.

8. Place patties, reshaping as necessary, on a non-stick cookie sheet.
These burgers stick easily, so use a lightly oiled pan if you do not
have a non-stick one.

9. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Flip burgers, reshaping with hands to
fill in cracks, and bake for another 15-20 minutes. Allow burgers to
rest 10 minutes before serving. Serve with Cilantro Mango Sauce.

Variations:
1. Replace potato with more cauliflower.

2. Use broccoli in place of cauliflower.

Cilantro Mango Sauce:

1 cup fresh, ripe mango, chunked
1/2 tsp fresh ginger, minced
1/2 tsp garlic, minced
1/2 tsp garam masala
2 tbs fresh cilantro, chopped

Combine all ingredients in blender until smooth. Serve chilled.

Re: Detoxify or Die Cookbook

Interesting recipe, gotnoscript, I bet it tastes great.

Just wondering what is in the Knorr vegetable soup mix? I'd be interested in seeing the ingredients - is 'spices' listed or 'yeast extract' or 'hydrolyzed protein' or any of those undercover msg names, or soy derivatives? Also, I think the simple starch of potatoes is off the menu if one is fighting candida (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong on that).

Back
Top Bottom