Health and Wellness Show: The Quackery and Cruelty of Animal Medical Research

theos

The Living Force
This is our topic for Friday July 15, 2016:

The Quackery and Cruelty of Animal Medical Research

Seventeen to 100 million mice, rats, birds, rabbits, cats, dogs, primates and other animals suffer and die in laboratories every year in the U.S. They comprise the research subjects in chemical, drug, food, cosmetics and medical training exercises to assure that products are safe for human use. But is this really the case? Though there is little mention of animal medical research, or vivisection, in the mainstream press these days, scientists, medical doctors and animal activists have railed against animal experimentation for decades. Does animal research do anything to advance human health and wellness? Despite all the years of experimentation, has it ever led to any cure or breakthrough? Can the results of research conducted on an entirely different species even be extrapolated to human beings? Is vivisection just a way for people in white lab coats to get away with torturing animals?

On today's episode of The Health and Wellness Show we'll explore this topic in depth.

Thanks guys for this show. A real eye opener for me. I didn't realize how deep the rabbit hole was with regard to animal testing (something that I have personally been against most of my life in general). I appreciate that you found and brought up some positive points regarding PETA. I will have to look further into that. I wrote that organization off several decades ago when they advocated for making it illegal for homeless people to have dogs. That just got my goat. And of course the red paint on fur coats thing didn't help with my opinion of them. Hence, I have since never thought about the 'agent provocateur' angle in relation to them.

I've always thought that in some way how we treat animals will come back to bite us in the a$$, or bless us accordingly. After learning from this show how truly deplorable animal life is treated by our 'exceptional and superior' species, I have a much deeper understanding with regards to the recent increase in animal attacks against humans.

A great show guys. Thanks again.

Thank you all for covering this topic. I've been avoiding this show because lab animal science had become a sacred cow to me, based on what I've been taught so far in school. To elaborate, I'm currently in a veterinary technician program (to oversimplify, nursing for animals plus performing in-house lab tests, taking X-rays, etc. to help the veterinarian) where they encourage us to consider a career in research. We'd be the ones likely doing most of the vivisection, though of course it's never called that.

A big reason for doing so is the salary; in California, a technician in a small animal practice is lucky to make $30k/year with experience, which can be hard to make a living off of. From what I can recall, one of our alumni makes about $60k/year at City of Hope assisting in cancer research, and one professor said pharmaceutical companies will pay over $70k/year to experienced technicians who work for them. And, of course, they emphasize that you ultimately help save both people and animals through advancements in biomedical research, so the sacrifice of research animals is well worth it. They also claim that animal welfare standards have improved over the years (e.g. anesthetics and analgesics are actually now required in U.S. animal research, unless an ethics committee says otherwise for a particular project, and who knows how often that happens). Another professor, who loves rabbits and isn't directly involved in research, said she would breed thousands of rabbits to be euthanized for research if it could cure her grandson's hemophilia, to give an example of how normal people rationalize it as being for the greater good. They also argue that you'll always need a living system to study the effects of some treatment, so animal experimentation will never go away.

I was hooked, and was strongly considering this as a career option (admittedly mostly for the money) until you all brought this up, especially after watching the Lethal Medicine documentary, and I was not happy about it for a while. However, I can't shut off my conscience for a bigger paycheck, so I'm glad you all crushed my hopes and dreams (read: lies and delusions) before going much further down that road. I don't think I could've accepted this information if I had already built a career out of it. To graduate, unfortunately, I'll still have to take a few classes dealing with lab animals, but hope to use those skills to help rabbits, guinea pigs, pocket pets, and other animals in clinical practice, rather than perform cruel experiments on them.

I feel stupid now for never considering it before, but no one in my program has questioned the validity of animal experiments for human medical research, even though humans are so much different physiologically and anatomically. And then there's the whole other issue of animal experimentation for curing human diseases being a racket. But that leads to a question I don't recall being addressed in the show: what about the usefulness of animal research for veterinary medicine? For example, research using dogs on the effectiveness of a medicine shouldn't be used for people, but it can still be used for dogs, like (off the top of my head) data on the effectiveness and toxicity of Rimadyl for pain. I still need to do more research on the topic, but I'm curious about others' thoughts on this.

zlyja said:
I feel stupid now for never considering it before, but no one in my program has questioned the validity of animal experiments for human medical research, even though humans are so much different physiologically and anatomically. And then there's the whole other issue of animal experimentation for curing human diseases being a racket. But that leads to a question I don't recall being addressed in the show: what about the usefulness of animal research for veterinary medicine? For example, research using dogs on the effectiveness of a medicine shouldn't be used for people, but it can still be used for dogs, like (off the top of my head) data on the effectiveness and toxicity of Rimadyl for pain. I still need to do more research on the topic, but I'm curious about others' thoughts on this.

Well, there is one thing that I remember from the interview Dr. Karen Becker conducted with veterinary immunologist Dr. Ronald Schultz. He said something along the lines, that when it comes to things like vaccines, pet vaccines are actually "more refined" than human vaccines, and there are more strict regulations. Doesn't mean that they are less harmful. It means that human vaccines are more harmful. But don't know how it is regarding other medications, as we were always taught that animal-grade medications can't be used for humans because they are "less refined". On the other hand, they are basically the same. So that's a side note about various medications, and the level of their preparation.

As for the animal experimentation and more ethical veterinary medicine...well, it depends on where you study, where you will end up working, etc. Basically, it's kind of hard to talk about possible toxicity of Rimadyl, when many veterinarians still don't prescribe analgesics at all. Because according to them it's better not to give anything and allow the animal to feel pain, because this way they will move less and won't disturb the affected area. They repeat this claim like mantra, while in other "more ethical" clinics you will hear that pre-during-and post operative analgesia are imperative, since they significantly reduce postoperative complications, and seriously reduce recovery time. But then, such protocols are more expensive and take more time and effort. Therefore, many clinics don't do it at all. And there is another side of the coin of various side effects, or as you said, the issue of toxicity when over-using analgetics.

But what complicates matters even more, that nothing prevents from those "more ethical clinics" to be blind when it comes to vaccines and still insist on annual vaccinations, when today even mainstream veterinary journals say that annual vaccination is unnecessary. So unfortunately veterinary medicine is infected with the same level of ignorance, and probably regarding using laboratory animals for research. Of course, there are degrees, and in some laboratories animals are treated better than in others, but they probably also say that it is unavoidable and much quicker, or cost effective and practical than simply running computer models.

On the other hand, personally I don't understand the whole preoccupation with "new drugs" and "new treatments" for animals, when old ones and less harmful ones still work very well. Yes, various diagnostic tools have been enormously helpful, but when it comes to treatments and drugs the principle of "less is more" appears to apply to all creatures. It's like some vets just enjoy playing doctors, and the more advanced the toys, the more it makes them proud of themselves.

I don't know. I am kind of in a similar situation, where I am at the beginning of the vet career, and of course it would be great to work in an ethical place that practices alternative vet medicine and makes sure to actually follow the main principle of medicine: "do no harm". But the harsh reality is that most of the times it isn't possible. And not only because there is a need to have an income (though it certainly plays a huge role), but also there is a need to get a practice. And as the saying goes, beggars (or those in need) often can't be choosers. For sure, the intent should be to end up in a place that will allow you to be able to "look at yourself in the mirror in the morning without shame". But often such situation is possible only if you open your own business, or if you will spend significant time looking for a team that will completely suit your preferences. And even then, it doesn't mean that the money will be good.

Bottom line is, when it comes to choices, and if there is no pressing monetary issue, I would probably go with the choice that would lead to the least amount of ethical problems. Also, it maybe would be good to think how your work would make you feel in the long run. Would you be able to do this kind of work everyday for a long time? Is there any redeeming value?

Sorry, if my reply is more of a rant than a direct answer to your questions. ;) But I can certainly understand your dilemma. And actually I disagree with the statement that animal physiology and anatomy differs from the human one. We do share a lot of basic functionalities and principles. So it is indeed possible to draw many comparisons. BUT, often there are significant interspecies differences when it comes to pharmacodynamics of drugs, which can cause very different responses to the same drug in different animals. And in this respect torture of countless mice and rats cannot be justified in any way.

zlyja said:
But that leads to a question I don't recall being addressed in the show: what about the usefulness of animal research for veterinary medicine? For example, research using dogs on the effectiveness of a medicine shouldn't be used for people, but it can still be used for dogs...

I'm of the opinion that if you want to know how to better treat a certain animal study that animal in a clinical setting, use your skills of observation, consult experienced practitioners and use methods that are not harmful or loaded with side effects. Start with the basics of providing healthy food, exercise, and a good environment and see how the animals improve. If this is done the need for extensive research may not even apply. Or, for once, we can study healthy animals (and people) and use the results to actually help animals become healthy.

I have no problems with animal research if conducted using the principles above.

I'm glad you got something out of the show and I hope you find a job that fits in with your principles.

Thank you Keit and Odyssey for your thoughts! :)

Keit said:
As for the animal experimentation and more ethical veterinary medicine...well, it depends on where you study, where you will end up working, etc. Basically, it's kind of hard to talk about possible toxicity of Rimadyl, when many veterinarians still don't prescribe analgesics at all. Because according to them it's better not to give anything and allow the animal to feel pain, because this way they will move less and won't disturb the affected area. They repeat this claim like mantra, while in other "more ethical" clinics you will hear that pre-during-and post operative analgesia are imperative, since they significantly reduce postoperative complications, and seriously reduce recovery time. But then, such protocols are more expensive and take more time and effort. Therefore, many clinics don't do it at all. And there is another side of the coin of various side effects, or as you said, the issue of toxicity when over-using analgetics.

I haven't heard of veterinarians not prescribing pain meds where I live for that reason, though I guess some old-school vets may think that, or if the client can't or won't pay for pain meds. I recall even the animal shelter I briefly interned at used buprenorphine for surgeries.

But what complicates matters even more, that nothing prevents from those "more ethical clinics" to be blind when it comes to vaccines and still insist on annual vaccinations, when today even mainstream veterinary journals say that annual vaccination is unnecessary. So unfortunately veterinary medicine is infected with the same level of ignorance, and probably regarding using laboratory animals for research. Of course, there are degrees, and in some laboratories animals are treated better than in others, but they probably also say that it is unavoidable and much quicker, or cost effective and practical than simply running computer models.

On the other hand, personally I don't understand the whole preoccupation with "new drugs" and "new treatments" for animals, when old ones and less harmful ones still work very well. Yes, various diagnostic tools have been enormously helpful, but when it comes to treatments and drugs the principle of "less is more" appears to apply to all creatures. It's like some vets just enjoy playing doctors, and the more advanced the toys, the more it makes them proud of themselves.

True. I think a big part of annual vaccination is just getting the clients to come in, even if the vets know better, because they want to keep their practices open. A vaccination appointment may also include a wellness exam, which could lead to a new medication for the pet, which makes more money for the practice to pay for supplies, maintenance, the staff, and finally the vet. Some may offer titers, but the client may find the cost excessive and opt for the vaccine instead. As for lab animals, I think part of the ignorance surrounding their use is that if they were no longer used in a research environment, especially for prolific drug testing, a lot of people would lose their jobs.

And I definitely agree with how some vets enjoy "playing doctor" and boosting their own egos and careers instead of what's ultimately best for the pet. It reminds me of a story one of my professors told about how they would treat collapsing trachea in dogs. He said the simplest thing to do was to cut rings out of syringe sleeves and then suture them to the trachea to keep it open. Then some vets started pioneering stents that could be inserted to expand the trachea as a more elegant solution for many years, but then they noticed way more complications from this method than the old one. So now it's come full circle and more vets are opting for the old way.

I don't know. I am kind of in a similar situation, where I am at the beginning of the vet career, and of course it would be great to work in an ethical place that practices alternative vet medicine and makes sure to actually follow the main principle of medicine: "do no harm". But the harsh reality is that most of the times it isn't possible. And not only because there is a need to have an income (though it certainly plays a huge role), but also there is a need to get a practice. And as the saying goes, beggars (or those in need) often can't be choosers. For sure, the intent should be to end up in a place that will allow you to be able to "look at yourself in the mirror in the morning without shame". But often such situation is possible only if you open your own business, or if you will spend significant time looking for a team that will completely suit your preferences. And even then, it doesn't mean that the money will be good.

Bottom line is, when it comes to choices, and if there is no pressing monetary issue, I would probably go with the choice that would lead to the least amount of ethical problems. Also, it maybe would be good to think how your work would make you feel in the long run. Would you be able to do this kind of work everyday for a long time? Is there any redeeming value?

I agree. I don't think it's possible to be completely ethical with how backwards some aspects of veterinary medicine are, but I think, for example, participating in an allopathic small practice that pushes vaccines is much more ethical than torturing animals for research that doesn't lead to results for both human and animal patients. At least in the former case, you can still help many pets and families alike live a better quality of life than if they had received no veterinary attention, although holistic options would likely get better results, especially with a minimalist vaccination schedule.

What field of veterinary medicine are you currently working in? I'm thinking about different areas of practice to go into, apart from small animal practice. Income isn't pressing for me at the moment (never took out loans), though it'd be nice to be able to afford some land one day.

For instance, I liked working at the animal shelter much more than I thought I would. It had its downsides (kill shelter, had to vaccinate all cats and dogs without a microchip, aggressive animals, etc.) but I liked helping care for sick animals so that they'd have a better chance of getting adopted, and could imagine myself doing that as a career. It'd be great if there were more holistic vets interested in shelter medicine; they might get together to set up rescues and end up with very healthy pets. But that takes money that isn't here right now, especially with how underfunded normal shelters are.

Alternatively, I'm considering emergency medicine, where vaccinations are rarely, if ever, given. I'd imagine you could use most of your training where lifestyle changes wouldn't be possible at the moment, like if a dog got hit by a car or ate xylitol and needs immediate treatment. We're not permitted to intern at emergency clinics until we've passed our surgical nursing classes, so I don't have experience with it yet. A big downside is that you'd be working the night shift, though.

There are also opportunities for monitoring diseases in animals, more so for veterinarians, I believe, than technicians. For example, in the United States at least, there are government-funded laboratories in many states that offer disease surveillance and necropsies for commercial and backyard animal agricultural operations, like CAHFS by UC Davis, so that outbreaks of avian influenza and other illnesses that can affect the country's food supply can be tracked. I used their services when one of my hens died suddenly of what turned out to be lymphoid leukosis caused by avian leukosis virus, and it provided a sense of closure for me. It's definitely not glamorous, and you'd need a strong stomach, but I'd think it'd be a more ethical area of practice.

Sorry, if my reply is more of a rant than a direct answer to your questions. ;) But I can certainly understand your dilemma. And actually I disagree with the statement that animal physiology and anatomy differs from the human one. We do share a lot of basic functionalities and principles. So it is indeed possible to draw many comparisons. BUT, often there are significant interspecies differences when it comes to pharmacodynamics of drugs, which can cause very different responses to the same drug in different animals. And in this respect torture of countless mice and rats cannot be justified in any way.

No problem, I enjoyed reading your response. You're absolutely right about anatomy and physiology -- you put it much more clearly than I could have! I intended my statement to be with regard to how different species react differently to drugs than others, but I didn't show that in my writing. I'll need to be more mindful of that next time (especially since I did well in anatomy and physiology for my program :facepalm:).

Odyssey said:
I'm of the opinion that if you want to know how to better treat a certain animal study that animal in a clinical setting, use your skills of observation, consult experienced practitioners and use methods that are not harmful or loaded with side effects. Start with the basics of providing healthy food, exercise, and a good environment and see how the animals improve. If this is done the need for extensive research may not even apply. Or, for once, we can study healthy animals (and people) and use the results to actually help animals become healthy.

I have no problems with animal research if conducted using the principles above.

I'm glad you got something out of the show and I hope you find a job that fits in with your principles.

Absolutely! AFAIK it's not common for veterinarians to opt for a more holistic approach, even basic nutrition, and what I've seen of that so far is more focused on reducing obesity rates in pets than optimal health. Raw food diets aren't adequately studied either for disease treatment and prevention, despite loads of testimonials, because the AVMA dismisses it and I assume some professionals that may be open to the idea are afraid of getting sued if a human gets sick from handling raw pet food. I also think part of the problem is that many clients don't want to opt for a holistic approach, and would rather give their pets a pill than work to change the pet's lifestyle, or are dismissive of any treatments not condoned by organizational authorities, so many times clinics that offer alternative medicine have to offer conventional treatment to stay in business.

Or they could just study healthy animals (and people), as you said. Makes me wonder how much the emotional environment for the pet has on wellness and lifespan, because even some cats live to 20 while subsisting on crappy kibble.

Sorry if I got too off-topic! Thanks for reading, and thanks again for the show.

zlyja said:
I haven't heard of veterinarians not prescribing pain meds where I live for that reason, though I guess some old-school vets may think that, or if the client can't or won't pay for pain meds. I recall even the animal shelter I briefly interned at used buprenorphine for surgeries.

Well, there are all kind of levels of vet care in Eastern Europe and Russia (from very high to very basic), and essentially it depends on the budget and equipment that the clinic has. Sometimes it also depends on the client that doesn't want to pay extra. I thought that something like this happened only here, but then I spent semester in Estonia and was surprised to hear that they also still have clinics, vets and owners that don't really understand benefits of analgesia. Especially when it comes to large animals. For example, we were doing dehorning of the group of calves, and the owner asked not to administer post-op analgesics to cut the costs. So in the end the level of services also depends on the level the customer can pay for.

zlyja said:
Then some vets started pioneering stents that could be inserted to expand the trachea as a more elegant solution for many years, but then they noticed way more complications from this method than the old one. So now it's come full circle and more vets are opting for the old way.

Yeah, another example would be a sophisticated and complicated suture for the intestines (intestinal anastomosis) that always caused headache when trying to master it. ;) But then recently I noticed surgeons applying simple interrupted sutures. After asking them about it they explained that new research indicates that these sutures are no less effective, and are in fact more reliable. So yeah, keeping it simple is always better.

zlyja said:
What field of veterinary medicine are you currently working in? I'm thinking about different areas of practice to go into, apart from small animal practice. Income isn't pressing for me at the moment (never took out loans), though it'd be nice to be able to afford some land one day.

You mean large or small animals? At the moment I work at the small animal clinic as an assistant. Still need more practice before trying to apply for a job of a doctor. :) The system here works differently than in Northern America in general. Don't know what will happen afterwards, though. I am kind of open for a work with large animals too, but definitely not on a dairy farm. Will see how that goes. The idea is to become proficient in allopathic medicine, and then gradually look for more natural solutions.

zlyja said:
For instance, I liked working at the animal shelter much more than I thought I would. It had its downsides (kill shelter, had to vaccinate all cats and dogs without a microchip, aggressive animals, etc.) but I liked helping care for sick animals so that they'd have a better chance of getting adopted, and could imagine myself doing that as a career. It'd be great if there were more holistic vets interested in shelter medicine; they might get together to set up rescues and end up with very healthy pets. But that takes money that isn't here right now, especially with how underfunded normal shelters are.

Maybe try to check animal shelters for farm animals. As I heard, their number is increasing in the US. There is also a chance that they use alternative care more than in regular shelters.

zlyja said:
Alternatively, I'm considering emergency medicine, where vaccinations are rarely, if ever, given. I'd imagine you could use most of your training where lifestyle changes wouldn't be possible at the moment, like if a dog got hit by a car or ate xylitol and needs immediate treatment. We're not permitted to intern at emergency clinics until we've passed our surgical nursing classes, so I don't have experience with it yet. A big downside is that you'd be working the night shift, though.

Yeah, if I would end up working in the large and well-equipped clinic, then my choice would be to specialize in emergency care and anesthesia. But it's too early to say. Smaller clinics are more "general practitioner" oriented. It is definitely unpleasant to vaccinate pets because it's a policy of the clinic, while knowing what damage it causes. :(

zlyja said:
For example, in the United States at least, there are government-funded laboratories in many states that offer disease surveillance and necropsies for commercial and backyard animal agricultural operations, like CAHFS by UC Davis, so that outbreaks of avian influenza and other illnesses that can affect the country's food supply can be tracked. I used their services when one of my hens died suddenly of what turned out to be lymphoid leukosis caused by avian leukosis virus, and it provided a sense of closure for me. It's definitely not glamorous, and you'd need a strong stomach, but I'd think it'd be a more ethical area of practice.

Yeah, but there is also an unfortunate downside of massive mandatory cullings, and other bureaucratic stuff. :/

zlyja said:
Makes me wonder how much the emotional environment for the pet has on wellness and lifespan, because even some cats live to 20 while subsisting on crappy kibble.

Yeah, keeping things in perspective is always good. It reminds me of the following cartoon. :lol:

MjAxMy0yY2ZlYTdjMTNjMjczMWFi.png

"Our investigators show that Fauci’s NIH division shipped part of a $375,800 grant to a lab in Tunisia to drug beagles and lock their heads in mesh cages filled with hungry sand flies so that the insects could eat them alive," White Coat Waste said.
By
Christian Spencer | Oct. 22, 2021

Bipartisan legislators demand answers from Fauci on 'cruel' puppy experiments​

View attachment cruelty dogs.webp

Story at a glance:
  • A bipartisan letter demands answers from the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases and President Biden's chief medical adviser.
  • House members, most of whom are Republicans, want Fauci to explain himself in response to allegations brought on by the White Coat Waste Project that involve drugging puppies.
  • Allegedly, 44 beagle puppies were used in a North Africa laboratory, and some of the dogs had their vocal cords removed so scientists could work without incessant barking.
A bipartisan letter demands answers from the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases and President Biden's chief medical adviser.
The White Coat Waste Project, the nonprofit organization that first pointed out that U.S. taxpayers were being used to fund the controversial Wuhan Institute of Virology, have now turned its sights on Anthony Fauci on another animal-testing-related matter — infecting dozens of beagles with disease-causing parasites to test an experimental drug on them.

America is changing faster than ever! Add Changing America to your Facebook or Twitter feed to stay on top of the news.

House members, most of whom are Republicans, want Fauci to explain himself in response to allegations brought on by the White Coat Waste Project that involve drugging puppies.
According to the White Coat Waste Project, the Food and Drug Administration does not require drugs to be tested on dogs, so the group is asking why the need for such testing.
White Coat Waste claims that 44 beagle puppies were used in a Tunisia, North Africa, laboratory, and some of the dogs had their vocal cords removed, allegedly so scientists could work without incessant barking.

Leading the effort is Rep. Nancy Mace (R-S.C.), writing a letter to the National Institutes of Health (NIH) saying the cordectomies are “cruel” and a “reprehensible misuse of taxpayer funds.”
"Our investigators show that Fauci’s NIH division shipped part of a $375,800 grant to a lab in Tunisia to drug beagles and lock their heads in mesh cages filled with hungry sand flies so that the insects could eat them alive," White Coat Waste told Changing America. "They also locked beagles alone in cages in the desert overnight for nine consecutive nights to use them as bait to attract infectious sand flies."
Mace’s letter was signed by Reps. Cindy Axne (D-Iowa), Cliff Bentz (R-Ore.), Steve Cohen (D-Tenn.), Rick Crawford (R-Ark.), Brian Fitzpatrick (R-Pa.), Scott Franklin (R-Fla.), Andrew Garbarino (R-N.Y.), Carlos Gimenez (R-Fla.), Jimmy Gomez (D-Calif.), Josh Gottheimer (D-N.J.), Fred Keller (R-Pa.), Ted Lieu (D-Calif.), Lisa McClain (R-Mich.), Nicole Malliotakis (R-N.Y.), Brian Mast (R-Fla.), Scott Perry (R-Pa.), Bill Posey (R-Fla.), Mike Quigley (D-Ill.), Lucille Roybal-Allard (D-Calif.), Maria E. Salazar (R-Fla.), Terri Sewell (D-Ala.), Daniel Webster (R-Fla.) and Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton (D-D.C.)

The National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases did not immediately respond to a request for comment from Changing America.

beagle puppies 2.jpg

DR Anthony Fauci is under fire for allegedly funding experiments where beagle puppies were locked in cages with hungry sandflies that would eat them alive.

The non-profit organization White Coat Waste Project has accused the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases of funding a project that had beagles infected with disease-causing parasites in order to test an experimental drug.

Non-profit organization White Coat Waste Project has accused Dr Anthony Fauci of using tax-payer money to fund cruel experiments on puppies in Tunisia

Non-profit organization White Coat Waste Project has accused Dr Anthony Fauci of using tax-payer money to fund cruel experiments on puppies in TunisiaCredit: Splash

The White Coat Waste Project claims some of the dogs allegedly had their vocal cords removed to muzzle their barking
The White Coat Waste Project claims some of the dogs allegedly had their vocal cords removed to muzzle their barkingCredit: Alamy
The Hill reports that a bipartisan group of 24 House Representatives has written a letter demanding that Fauci answer to the claims by the nonprofit.

The organization claims that as many as 44 beagle puppies were used as part of the cruel experiment in a Tunisia laboratory.

Some of the dogs allegedly had their vocal cords removed to muzzle their barking.

"Our investigators show that Fauci’s NIH division shipped part of a $375,800 grant to a lab in Tunisia to drug beagles and lock their heads in mesh cages filled with hungry sandflies so that the insects could eat them alive," White Coat Waste told The Hill.

"They also locked beagles alone in cages in the desert overnight for nine consecutive nights to use them as bait to attract infectious sand flies, they added.

The NIAID spent directed $1.68million in taxpayer money on these experiments, according to documents obtained by the non-profit.

The letter was signed by some Democrats such as Representatives Cindy Axne from Iowa and Jimmy Gomez from California.
However, it was mostly signed by Republican lawmakers, including Rep Nancy Mace from South Carolina, who's leading the effort.

"The dogs were all between six and eight months old. The commissioned tests involved injecting and force-feeding the puppies an experimental drug for several weeks, before killing and dissecting them," said the lawmakers' letter, according to Newsweek.

"Of particular concern is the fact that the invoice to NIAID included a line item for 'cordectomy.' As you are likely aware, a cordectomy, also known as 'devocalization,' involves slitting a dog's vocal cords in order to prevent them from barking, howling, or crying."

"This cruel procedure – which is opposed with rare exceptions by the American Veterinary Medical Association, the American Animal Hospital Association, and others – seems to have been performed so that experimenters would not have to listen to the pained cries of the beagle puppies. This is a reprehensible misuse of taxpayer funds."

Among the questions the lawmakers want answered is how many drug tests have been done on dogs since January 2018 and how much they have cost.

They also want to know why these tests were performed if the FDA does not require new drugs to be tested on dogs.

Fauci, who is also President Joe Biden's chief medical adviser, has previously found himself under hot water after being accused of lying to the American public after documents seemed to contradict his claims that his agency did not fund research of coronaviruses in a Wuhan, China, lab.

The NIAID spent directed $1.68million in taxpayer money to these experiments, according to documents obtained by the non-profit
The NIAID spent directed $1.68million in taxpayer money to these experiments, according to documents obtained by the non-profitCredit: Getty

Lawmakers want to know why these tests were performed if the FDA does not require new drugs to be tested on dogs
Lawmakers want to know why these tests were performed if the FDA does not require new drugs to be tested on dogs Credit: Reuters

Senator Rand Paul calls for Fauci to be JAILED for 'lying to Congress about Wuhan lab'

Back
Top Bottom