Happy Easter

Esote

Dagobah Resident
Light in the darkness
IMG_20230403_153417.jpg
Personal picture from Chartres Cathedral
Christ is resurrected ! This is the essential Christian faith, which states that our fundamental cosmic part transcends space-time.

The basic Christian message is simple: do not do to others what you would not want done to you; love others as yourself.

Let us remember, let us rejoice: the realm of Satan, of this world of division that governs our lives, is an illusion.

We can go beyond the boundaries that bind us to the human tragedy of the Earth's collective reality, following the meandering path of union to the heart of the Self...

labyrinthe-cathédrale-de-Chartres.jpg
Chartres Cathedral Labyrinth

Here, R. Steiner's take on Easter time :

"

The Calendar of the Soul​

Easter & Spring​

When out of world-wide spaces
The sun speaks to the human mind,
And gladness from the depths of soul
Becomes, in seeing, one with light,
Then rising from the sheath of self,
Thoughts soar to distances of space
And dimly bind
The human being to the spirit's life.

Original in Deutch :
Wenn aus den Weltenweiten
Die Sonne spricht zum Menschensinn
Und Freude aus den Seelentiefen
Dem Licht sich eint im Schauen,
Dann ziehen aus der Selbstheit Hülle
Gedanken in die Raumesfernen
Und binden dumpf
Des Menschen Wesen an des Geistes Sein."

I
Light in the darkness
View attachment 73231
Personal picture from Chartres Cathedral
Christ is resurrected ! This is the essential Christian faith, which states that our fundamental cosmic part transcends space-time.

The basic Christian message is simple: do not do to others what you would not want done to you; love others as yourself.

Let us remember, let us rejoice: the realm of Satan, of this world of division that governs our lives, is an illusion.

We can go beyond the boundaries that bind us to the human tragedy of the Earth's collective reality, following the meandering path of union to the heart of the Self...

View attachment 73232
Chartres Cathedral Labyrinth
believe that if Jesus existed, there would be no confirmation or proof more real than that which comes only from within ourselves (just knowing), that is to say, his presence would not require any proof on his part or any show of goodness or faith, it would be a knowledge that would activate itself within us, dissipating all doubt.
The Cs said that the soul has its own memory.

Out of the darkness comes Resurrection.

"Still I Rise" - Maya Angelou​

You may write me down in history
With your bitter, twisted lies,
You may trod me in the very dirt
But still, like dust, I'll rise.

Does my sassiness upset you?
Why are you beset with gloom?
’Cause I walk like I've got oil wells
Pumping in my living room.

Just like moons and like suns,
With the certainty of tides,
Just like hopes springing high,
Still I'll rise.

Did you want to see me broken?
Bowed head and lowered eyes?
Shoulders falling down like teardrops,
Weakened by my soulful cries?

Does my haughtiness offend you?
Don't you take it awful hard
’Cause I laugh like I've got gold mines
Diggin’ in my own backyard.

You may shoot me with your words,
You may cut me with your eyes,
You may kill me with your hatefulness,
But still, like air, I’ll rise.

Does my sexiness upset you?
Does it come as a surprise
That I dance like I've got diamonds
At the meeting of my thighs?

Out of the huts of history’s shame
I rise
Up from a past that’s rooted in pain
I rise
I'm a black ocean, leaping and wide,
Welling and swelling I bear in the tide.

Leaving behind nights of terror and fear
I rise
Into a daybreak that’s wondrously clear
I rise
Bringing the gifts that my ancestors gave,
I am the dream and the hope of the slave.
I rise
I rise
I rise.

th

Que la belle fête de Pâques vous apporte Joie et Paix
May the beautiful Easter bring you joy and peace.

A little reminder from Francesco Carotta:

Caesar a prototype of Jesus?

All events related to Caesar’s death were so dramatic—with treason, murder, and subsequent apotheosis—that the Passion story of the god incarnate becomes the centerpiece of each vita of Divus Julius. That is why a biography of Caesar, especially an ancient one always reads like a hagiography and leaves an impression of sacredness. So for example it could be said:

• ‘…the panegyric Emperor-biography, composed by Nicolas of Damascus, Chancellor and Historian of Herodes’ palace in the years 23-21 BC, reads in part like a Gospel-text.’[179]
This is not limited to the pro-Caesarean authors nor does it rely on subjective impressions. That the Christian Easter-liturgy follows the ritual of Caesar’s funeral like a script has already attracted attention:

• ‘The funeral ritual for Divus Iulius [is] a unique passion-liturgy … this celebration is one of the most essential events of history contemporaneous with the New Testament.’[180]
This is all the more striking as one would expect that the Easter-liturgy would follow the Gospel and not the funeral ritual of Caesar. Some details and requisites are not grounded in the Gospel Passion-story, but they find their counterpart in Caesar’s funeral. Think for example of the unveiling of the cross, accompanied by the chant:

• ‘Here is the cross of torture on which the salvation of the world hung.’[181]
It corresponds to the action of removing Caesar’s toga on the tropaeum and to the content of the words of Antonius. Think of the ensuing improperia, the lamentations of the crucified one over the ingratitude of the people of Israel which are sung in the Catholic liturgy of the Good Friday Mass. They conform to Antonius’ demonstrated repetitive example: the reading out of each of the benefactions conferred on his people which are counter-pointed by the lamentations over the murder of God. Consider the beginning:

• ‘My people, what did I do to you? How did I offend? Answer me. I led you out of Egypt, you lead your savior to the cross.’[182]
It sounds like the words spoken through Caesar’s death-mask: ‘Ah, did I
save them, that they should murder me?’ Only that here the liberation from the threat of the Gauls is spoken of, there it is the liberation from the hand of Egyptian oppression, and, instead of the lines from Pacuvius and the Electra, one seems to hear those verses from the Bible with a parallel meaning, which would have been recited by the Jews who, as Suetonius tells us, kept a long vigil at Caesar’s funeral pyre and sung ‘songs of lament’—‘according to their custom’.[183]

Think of the adoration of the cross, of the procession behind the cross, and finally of the renewing of baptismal vows. There is also the Easter-fire on Holy Saturday. While the congregation waits in the dark church for the Easter Light, the priest ignites a small pile of wood, a little pyre outside, on which the Easter candle is lit.[184] The correspondence with the funeral pile and Caesar’s apotheosis is striking, even in the re-enactment: the believers carry the fire into the night, as once the fire-brands were carried to the houses of Caesar’s murderers, whereas the holy water sprinkled and distributed in the church recalls the corresponding extinguishing of the fires. The Easter-communion itself—where nothing is permitted to remain—evinces an unsettling symmetry with the total annihilation of Caesar’s intimate, Cinna.

There even appears to be another corresponding custom preserved by the people independent of the ecclesiastical hierarchy. When the triumvirate finally managed to gain the upper-hand over the murderers of Caesar, they decreed that the Ides of March—which the murderers had celebrated on their coins as the day of liberation from the tyrant—be damned as dies parricidii, ‘the day of parricide’. Further, they converted the venue of the murder, Pompeius’ Curia, into a latrine, so that everyone had the opportunity to express their greater or lesser opinion of the self-styled Liberators.[185] The Catholic farmers in Germany, at least those from within the limes, seem to have conserved this practice until today, because they regard the celebration of Good Friday as a provocation, and on that day they vent their displeasure by spreading compost and manure on their fields.

Today is a perfect day to remember one of the most extraordinary human-beings to ever grace the Earth. We remind ourselves of the examples set for us to remain courageous, steadfast, selfless and disciplined in our endeavors to achieve something greater than ourselves.

Today is a wonderful day to spend in thanksgivings for the opportunities to learn and grow.. To appreciate this life, our community, and our connectedness to the Divine.

I hope that you all have/had a day filled with blessings and found yourself more joyful than not. 🤍

Here's a bit I just read on the Easter bunny. Apparently the hare-egg connection has some pretty deep roots. It's more than just a manufactured marketing scheme from Hershey's chocolate making a quick buck on the goddess Ishtar.

These two sections below are featured in The Maiden King; The Reunion of the Masculine and Feminine, co-authored by Robert Bly and Marion Woodman. It dives into of one the most amazing Russian fairy tales called the Maiden Tsar, looking for clues as to what's going on between men and women in Western culture. It's mid-story, so the references to Ivan may not make sense, but the discussion about symbolism, myth and culture are all pretty eye-opening.

The Metaphor of the Hare

When Ivan opens the casket, a hare leaps out. If we try to un pack that, we’ll find that we’ve forgotten most of what our ancestors felt and thought about the hare. The hare carried, one might say, an enormous amount of meaning to ancient people, and the meaning was basically that of sacrifice.

Some dreams recorded in this century reveal very clearly the associations around the hare as they appeared to a modern woman. When the psychologist John Layard was living in En gland, just before the Second War, he accepted into therapy an Irish woman who was troubled over the behavior of her young daughter. The woman, Mrs. Wright, a Protestant who had an education in the elementary grades and no education in mythology, reported the following dream to Layard, who at the time knew nothing of the Hare-egg mythology himself:

"The scene is near my home in Ireland, and I am walk ing with Margaret up to a square house belonging to a female cousin whom I know very well. The ground was covered with snow'. Margaret was in a bit o f a fuss wanting to hurry up and get the place dusted, but I told her not to be in such a hurry, as in any case, with snow lying about, there wouldn’t be much dust. . . .

Then I went round alone into the kitchen at the back of the house. Inside there was a great light and every thing was as white as it was outside, though how' the snow' got in there I cannot tell.

There were people inside, too, and there, in a white bowl with a little water in it, was a live hare. Someone told me I had got to kill it. This seemed a terrible thing to do, but I had to do it. I picked up the knife (an ordinary kitchen knife) which seemed to have been placed ready for me and which was lying in the water inside the bowl beside the hare, and with a feeling of horror I started cutting into the fur through to the skin beneath. I had to cut the hare straight down the middle of the back, and I started to do this, but my hand trembled so much that, as I cut down, the knife slipped away from the straight line, and ended up by cutting obliquely into the hare’s haunch.

I felt awful doing this, but the hare never moved and did not seem to mind. Though the ground outside was covered with snow we had left no footmarks on it."

Several weeks later, Layard, who had in the meantime read a bit about animal sacrifice, had a conversation with Mrs. Wright.

" told her how in certain primitive religions the ani mal was always sacrified before being eaten, and was himself at the same time the willing sacrifice, just as the hare had been. She then told me o f the look o f extreme satisfaction and trust that had been in the hare’s eyes as it looked back at her when she plunged the knife into its back. This made her think of Christ.2"

Many themes intertwine in Mrs. Wright’s dream. We remember the detail of moonlight coming off the snow, though the strange light is also inside the house. That suggests some sort of sacred space. The hare’s association with water comes in, and the connection of the hare with the moon. We recall the folk idea that we can see an outline of the hare on the moon. Finally, we notice that the hare in Mrs. Wright’s dream carried to her the motif of willing sacrifice.

All these motifs we see repeated in the mythology of many other cultures. A favorite theme in Japanese art is the moon goddess Gwatten, who is shown holding out to priests a dish that is actually a small crescent moon. Inside that dish a white hare is calmly seated, as if it were presented for sacrifice.

In European mythology, the hare is "the moon’s own magical love-creature.”3 The hare in many cultures is the mythical animal associated with the menstrual cycle. The moon, one could say, sends down an egg into the fallopian tubes once each month, first on the left side of the womb, next on the right side. The moon accomplishes all this.

The Ojibway call the moon the eye of the hare. We recall that the Nanzibojo, the Great Hare, is the hero of an Algonquin myth cycle. The hare has an association with immortality, which we would suspect already from Mrs. Wright’s dream of mysterious light. The hare is shown in China pounding up the herbs of immortality on the moon.

What shall we say, then, about the hare stage of our story? If we look at dictionaries of symbols, we will find the hare, as Mrs. Wright intuited in her dream, associated everywhere with the practice of sacrifice. It is associated with giving up things, letting parts of oneself go, offering something dear to a divinity, not necessarily in order to receive a boon in return, but rather as evidence that you are serious, that you want a change, that you understand that just because you have some object doesn’t mean you own it, that you are willing out of gratitude to the spirits and to the universe to give it away. Monks and nuns sacrifice their sexuality—at least, intend to. T. S. Eliot mentions that the writer’s life amounts to “a daily crucifixion” because of the sensual life he has to abandon in order to write well. Often a therapist will ask for a sacrifice: I want you to turn off the television for three months, I want you to work Saturdays in a homeless shelter, I want you to come home from work at five every day, and give those evening hours to your children.

Many people feel that women mature emotionally at an earlier age than men because a woman can be said to sacrifice her blood every month, and she is aware how much she will sacrifice if a baby comes. Some say that the male has to intend to become an adult. A writer on myth recently wrote:

"I remember reading what seemed to me a beautiful re mark made by one of the men in the Mandan tribe, a tribe up in Missouri. George Catlin, a young painter, went out from Harvard in 1832 and painted pictures of these Indians and the magnificence of their ritual and so forth. The young men who were hung up by spikes through their pectoral muscles and beaten said, “We have to learn to suffer in order to compensate for the suffering of our women.” Life brings the suffering on the woman, and the man has to match it by imposing suffering on himself."

Sacrifice, then, implies willing sacrifice—we are not talking here about unwilling sacrifice of victims. So the stage of Ivan’s search that is described metaphorically as a hare leaping out of the coffer brings up willing sacrifice. Goethe’s great poem called “Holy Longing” sums up the mood of such willing sacrifice:

Tell a wise person, or else keep silent,
Because the massman will mock it right away. I praise what is truly alive,
What longs to be burned to death.

In the calm water of the love-nights,
Where you were begotten, where you have begotten,

A strange feeling comes over you
When you see the silent candle burning.

Now you are no longer caught
In the obsession with darkness,
And a desire for higher love-making Sweeps you upward.

Distance does not make you falter; Now, arriving in magic, flying,
And, finally, insane for the light,
You are the butterfly and you are gone.

And so long as you haven’t experienced This: to die and so to grow,
You are only a troubled guest
On the dark earth.4

(Translated by R.B.)

So the third stage implies an offering of oneself.

The Metaphor of the Egg

The last metaphor in our series is the egg. Human beings have adored the egg since earliest times. There seems to be some genetic match between human beings and chicken eggs. For humans, the flavor is just right. People and chickens live together, feeding and being fed all over Asia, Europe, and Africa. The egg itself is a marvel, whether produced by penguins or chickens or eagles or songbirds. Gerard Manley Hopkins called thrushes’ eggs “little low heavens.”1The egg’s shape seems hydraulically and aesthetically perfect. Ukrainians decorate the egg as if it were a Queen; it adapts itself to all geometric designs, all colors and hues; it is a triumph of the simple. And it did not escape the ancients that the yellow ball inside is not merely a “yolk,” as we stupidly call it—it is the sun. Any idiot with good eyes would know that. So we have the outer sun, up there, surrounded by the white of the stars, and we have the inner sun down here, right next to our nose, on the plate. What’s more, eggs come in abundance, in contrast to the situation up there, where, as Francis Ponge said, “The melancholic old man . . . tosses us with poor grace one sun per day.”2

So where better for the love the universe has for us than to be stored in an egg, so easily hidden, so much fun to look for?

An Austrian woman described an egg hunt that took place in her village in the 1940s. On Easter Sunday the children would rise before dawn for the hunt:

Eggs, hard-boiled and colored, chiefly red and blue, but also with other pigments, are hidden in large quantities totaling several hundred, in “nests” all over the gardens, and are searched for by the children when the family returns in the morning from High Mass.3

She then reported that “the hare that lay these eggs does not appear, however, until the afternoon, when the children all visit their grandmothers.” The emphasis on the grandmothers suggests a Goddess connection or a crone connection.

The chief figure in the progress to her house . . . is a child dressed in a cape with head and ears representing a hare, who on his or her back carries a small water bucket filled with colored eggs.

The first eggs are given to the grandmother. . . . The children all want eggs, too. . . . But the power is with the hare-child, who dodges here and there, in and out and around about the house and garden, chased by the rest, to whom it gives its eggs at its own sweet will.

How strange! The hare again. We now know that this hare-egg ritual was at one time performed all over Europe. It is still performed—though without any remembrance of its meaning—on the White House lawn each year at Easter, where it appears to be connected to Christianity. I hid eggs for my children without ever understanding what we were doing. A few years ago, scholars reported that there was a Saxon goddess called Eostre or Eastre, still worshipped in parts of Scotland, for whom this ritual was done. We have been performing her ritual for years, without even the church recognizing its pagan quality. The hare and egg ritual is likely thousands of years older than Christianity. So there is a Great Goddess, perhaps not unlike the Woman Who Arrives on Thirty Boats; her name was Eastre and the hare is her ritual animal. We recall that the Norse love goddess, Guda, was accompanied by a hare on her ride into town; she was the Divine Guda, or Godiva.

We know that in Pomerania in the nineteenth century, hares were caught at Easter time to provide a public meal. So we are talking again of a Hare God who is sacrificed.

The hare then becomes, one might say, a model of sacrifice, a theme we continue today by making rabbits out of chocolate for children to eat, so that the “public meal” can continue.

We’ll leave this strange reappearance of the hare and turn to the egg itself. The egg will prove to be many things. We have already hinted at some of its symbolic meanings. The fact that the inner egg resembles the sun doesn’t cancel the knowledge that the egg on the outside resembles the moon. The moon is a light in the darkness, and it can be found shining in unexpected places, through the branches of trees, just as the brilliant eggs shine in their nests of dark grass. It was natural for the Austrian children to give the eggs to the grandmothers—that is, give them back to the moon. Our story says that only the grown ups who have gone to the Underworld will ever be able to under stand the egg in all its magnificence, and that is probably right.

It is only after the human being’s inner house has been dedicated to spirit that we are not afraid to die. It is only after we have learned to move like the duck, the swan, the heron, and all the other waterbirds, who walk on land and fly immense distances through the air, that we can experience, enjoy, give right attention to, admire, deserve, appreciate, be fit for the egg. Once we have had the high flights in air, once we have learned to "let go of the ground we stand on and cling to every day,” then we can put our hand down, as Ivan did, and lift the egg. Once he had lifted it, what did he do? He carried it to the old woman’s house, just as if he had been an Austrian child.

Back
Top Bottom