Growing your own mushrooms for dinner

Horseofadifferentcolor

Jedi Council Member
I have in the past few months ordered a few different kinds of mushrooms. Some are inoculated in saw dust and others are plugs that you drill a hole from cut wood.
My first mushrooms are growing from the garden. After starting on the diet path, mushrooms have become one of my main carbs. Around here mushroom prices really add up so growing them myself is a huge perk.
My reishi is creating "antlers" and the oyster mushrooms are doing very well. This is a fun way to grow your own food. The web site I ordered my first batch is from http://www.fungi.com/

I would love to hear any tips or advise for bigger yeilds if anyone here has some. I'm trying to do this in the garden only. Trying to do this in aquariums has proved very difficult.

I was thinking about growing some mushrooms too at some point. Since you are growing them outside, have you mixed the inoculated saw dust in with a bed, or just planted the saw dust clump? From your observations so far, which method do you prefer: the drilled log or in ground planting? It sounds like fun and I bet they're tasty!

mnmulchi said:
I was thinking about growing some mushrooms too at some point. Since you are growing them outside, have you mixed the inoculated saw dust in with a bed, or just planted the saw dust clump? From your observations so far, which method do you prefer: the drilled log or in ground planting? It sounds like fun and I bet they're tasty!

Hello mnmulchi,
The plugs have not produced anything yet as it takes many months for the mycelium to spread through the wood eating on sugars. Also some of the kinds of shrooms I bought are more adapted to colder climates, so I have to wait for cooler weather. I got so excited about the different kinds that I bought some that might not work here.
The ones in the saw dust clumps can be broken apart and mixed with your compost, but it takes a little longer than leaving hole clump. I have tried it both ways. So far the clumps are the only ones producing. For the cooler loving shrooms I add ice to get them going.

Mycelium in general is fascinating. It is the internet highway of the garden and is great for companion planting! I even found some on ebay that glows( not edible just cool) :P
I tried some out in an aqaurium indoors. The reishi is doing good but it is hard to keep the humidity levels right. Everything I have read says this doesnt work, but Im a pretty good gardner so I thought I could figure out a way. All I found was a way to collect mold and knats!

Hello mnmulchi,
The plugs have not produced anything yet as it takes many months for the mycelium to spread through the wood eating on sugars. Also some of the kinds of shrooms I bought are more adapted to colder climates, so I have to wait for cooler weather. I got so excited about the different kinds that I bought some that might not work here.
The ones in the saw dust clumps can be broken apart and mixed with your compost, but it takes a little longer than leaving hole clump. I have tried it both ways. So far the clumps are the only ones producing. For the cooler loving shrooms I add ice to get them going.

Mycelium in general is fascinating. It is the internet highway of the garden and is great for companion planting! I even found some on ebay that glows( not edible just cool)
I tried some out in an aqaurium indoors. The reishi is doing good but it is hard to keep the humidity levels right. Everything I have read says this doesnt work, but Im a pretty good gardner so I thought I could figure out a way. All I found was a way to collect mold and knats!

That's interesting Horseofadifferentcolor thank you. I am going to do some more research and I might try both methods outside too and see how it goes. Good luck with all of yours!

Back
Top Bottom