Grounding

Thanks , Zar , for such profound explanation of grounding process and its difference from earthing (I used to think they are the same) ! Practicing yoga, I always finish the lesson with relaxation in “corpse pose” , but I didn’t know It was actually Gravity Grounding Meditation, thank you) I always feel very peaceful , grateful and full of positive/good energy after it!
Also Looking for grounding practices , I came across the Grounding by David Router and found it interesting , rather easy and effective and it doesn’t take long if you don’t have much time for example.

Then it returns to the earth, and the cycle repeats. Just like this:
View attachment 61428
I hope that’s helpful.
This is what grounding feels to me. One thing that makes me enjoy it so much too is because I have a connection with the tree Im doing grounding with. I gave it a name and with this new friendship, when I am with him long enough, you will feel this exchange of pure energy and sometimes takes you into a trance-ish state. Does anyone feel this too?

This is what grounding feels to me. One thing that makes me enjoy it so much too is because I have a connection with the tree Im doing grounding with. I gave it a name and with this new friendship, when I am with him long enough, you will feel this exchange of pure energy and sometimes takes you into a trance-ish state. Does anyone feel this too?
Princess Lux, I love this especially because my daughter told me when she was in third grade that she had made friends with a pine tree on the playground. I used to have the same experience when I was a child, so much that I hung out by the sycamore tree in my grandma’s yard routinely for years. Never told my daughter about in such terms.

Hey Zar, you might be interested in reading a book called "Energy Medicine: A scientific basis" by James Oschman. I read it several years ago and was very impressed.

He has been one of the leading researchers in the field of grounding, and approaches it from the perspective that health/disease should be view through the lense of biophysics and electrical conductance, rather than simple biochemistry per se.

Here is an excerpt from one of his papers:

The effects of grounding (earthing) on inflammation, the immune response, wound healing, and prevention and treatment of chronic inflammatory and autoimmune diseases

Anatomical and biophysical aspects​

The concept that the inflammatory barricade forms from collateral damage to healthy tissue surrounding an injury site is supported by Selye’s classic studies published along with his description of the granuloma or Selye pouch (Figure 10).25,30 Moreover, research in cell biology and biophysics reveals the human body is equipped with a system-wide collagenous, liquid–crystalline semiconductor network known as the living matrix,31 or in other terms, a ground regulation system32,33 or tissue tensegrity matrix system (Figure 11).34

This body-wide network can deliver mobile electrons to any part of the body and thereby routinely protect all cells, tissues, and organs from oxidative stress or in the event of injury.23,31 The living matrix includes the extracellular and connective tissue matrices as well as the cytoskeletons of all cells.31 Integrins at cell surfaces are thought to allow for semi-conduction of electrons to the cell interior, and links across the nuclear envelope enable the nuclear matrix and genetic material to be part of the circuitry.23 Our hypothesis is that this body-wide electronic circuit represents a primary antioxidant defense system. This hypothesis is the central point of this report.

1659377492071.png

The extracellular part of the matrix system is composed mainly of collagen and ground substances (Figures 11 and and12).12). The cytoskeleton is composed of microtubules, microfilaments, and other fibrous proteins. The nuclear matrix contains another protein fabric composed of histones and related materials.

1659377504541.png

It is not widely appreciated that collagen and other structural proteins are semiconductors. This concept was introduced by Albert Szent-Györgyi in the Korányi memorial lecture in Budapest, Hungary in 1941. His talk was published in both Science (Towards a New Biochemistry?)35 and Nature (The Study of Energy Levels in Biochemistry).36 The idea that proteins might be semiconductors was immediately and firmly rejected by biochemists. Many modern scientists continue to reject semi-conduction in proteins, because living systems only have trace amounts of silicone, germanium, and compounds of gallium that are the most widely used materials in electronic semiconductor devices. However, there are many ways of making organic semiconductors without using metals. One of the sources of confusion was the widely held belief that water was a mere filler material. We now know that water plays crucial roles in enzymatic activities and semi-conduction. Hydrated proteins actually are semiconductors, and have become important components in the global microelectronics industry. Organic microcircuits are preferred for some applications, because they can be made very small, self-assemble, are robust, and have low energy consumption.37,38

One of the leaders in the field of molecular electronics, NS Hush, has recognized Albert Szent-Györgyi and Robert S Mulliken for providing two concepts fundamental to the industrial applications: theories of biological semi-conduction, and molecular orbital theory, respectively.39 In recent studies, given awards by the Materials Research Society in both Europe and the USA, scientists from Israel made flexible biodegradable semiconductor systems using proteins from human blood, milk, and mucus.40 Silicon, the most widely used semiconducting material, is expensive in the pure form needed for semiconductors, and is inflexible and environmentally problematic. Organic semiconductors are predicted to lead to a new range of flexible and biodegradable computer screens, cell phones, tablets, biosensors, and microprocessor chips. We have come a long way since the early days when semi-conduction in proteins was so thoroughly rejected.41,42,43

Ground substance polyelectrolyte molecules associated with the collagenous connective tissue matrix are charge reservoirs (Figure 12). The matrix is therefore a vast whole-body redox system. The glycosaminoglycans have a high density of negative charges due to the sulfate and carboxylate groups on the uronic acid residues. The matrix is therefore a body-wide system capable of absorbing and donating electrons wherever they are needed to support immune functioning.44 The interiors of cells including the nuclear matrix and DNA are all parts of this biophysical electrical storage and delivery system. The time-course of the effects of grounding on injury repair can be estimated in various ways.

First, we know from medical infrared imaging that inflammation begins to subside within 30 minutes of connecting with the earth via a conductive patch placed on the skin.2,3 Secondly, metabolic activity increases during this same period. Specifically, there is an increase in oxygen consumption, pulse rate, and respiratory rate and a decrease in blood oxygenation during 40 minutes of grounding.45 We suspect that the “filling” of the charge reservoirs is a gradual process, possibly because of the enormous number of charged residues on the polyelectrolytes, and because they are located throughout the body. When charge reservoirs are saturated, the body is in a state we refer to as “inflammatory preparedness”. This means that the ground substance, which pervades every part of the body, is ready to quickly deliver antioxidant electrons to any site of injury via the semiconducting collagenous matrix (see Figure 16B).

1659377517401.png

These considerations also imply anti-aging effects of earthing or grounding, since the dominant theory of aging emphasizes cumulative damage caused by ROS produced during normal metabolism or produced in response to pollutants, poisons, or injury.46 We hypothesize an anti-aging effect of grounding that is based on a living matrix reaching every part of the body and that is capable of delivering antioxidant electrons to sites where tissue integrity might be compromised by reactive oxidants from any source.47,48

Molecules generated during the immune response were also followed in the DOMS study.7 Parameters that differed consistently by 10% or more between grounded and ungrounded subjects, normalized to baseline, included creatine kinase, phosphocreatine/inorganic phosphate ratios, bilirubin, phosphorylcholine, and glycerolphosphorylcholine. Bilirubin is a natural antioxidant that helps control ROS.4953

Conclusion​

Accumulating experiences and research on earthing, or grounding, point to the emergence of a simple, natural, and accessible health strategy against chronic inflammation, warranting the serious attention of clinicians and researchers. The living matrix (or ground regulation or tissue tensegrity-matrix system), the very fabric of the body, appears to serve as one of our primary antioxidant defense systems. As this report explains, it is a system requiring occasional recharging by conductive contact with the Earth’s surface – the “battery” for all planetary life – to be optimally effective.

Hey Zar, you might be interested in reading a book called "Energy Medicine: A scientific basis" by James Oschman. I read it several years ago and was very impressed.

He has been one of the leading researchers in the field of grounding, and approaches it from the perspective that health/disease should be view through the lense of biophysics and electrical conductance, rather than simple biochemistry per se.

Here is an excerpt from one of his papers:

Thanks Keyhole, this seems exactly like the type of research I've been looking for. I'll give it a go.

There is some discussion about grounding in Healing Developmental Trauma. What I found interesting is that if the nervous system is still dealing with a lot of traumatic energy in the body, grounding can feel threatening, and other resources may be necessary in those instances.

Grounding is a basic technique widely used in the body-centred psychotherapies. In NARM, grounding is used to support an increasing capacity for somatic mindfulness, connection, and nervous system regulation. Grounding functions as an antidote for disconnection, helping to literally bring awareness back into the body, supporting reconnection on all levels of experience. To the degree that clients can feel their feet on the floor and their body in the chair, they are mindfully present in the here and now. Like all therapeutic processes, grounding should not be pushed; it needs to be done slowly, in a way that is manageable and does not overwhelm. Therapists support the process of connection and organization by bringing their clients' attention to the process of grounding:

"As you are talking about the challenges you are facing, take a moment to see if you can get a sense of yourself in the chair. Can you feel your feet on the floor ... your seat in the chair ... the support of the backrest?"

As we attend to clients' capacity for self-awareness, we support their awareness not just cognitively and emotionally, but also in their physiological experience,. Many clients will find grounding to be organizing and settling, whereas some will find it anxiety provoking. When clients become more anxious when attempting to ground, or when they are unable to do it, it is an indication that there is too much activation in their body to allow them to ground at that moment. When grounding is not possible, facilitating discharge of activation can be supported by other regulating techniques such as pendulating, resourcing, and orienting. As activation is discharged, grounding becomes more possible. From a NARM perspective, grounding in the body provides an anchor to reality. From an increasingly more grounded and embodied place, the truths and fictions or our shame- and pride-based identifications become clearer. Attuning to the body gives us a stable platform on which to work with the adaptive survival styles that are often mistaken for our true self.

It also seems there are many ways to ground - in the imaginal or energetic sense written about in Zar's first post, in the geo-electric sense of bare feet on the ground, and also in the sense described above about turning the attention to how the body feels in the present moment.

Well this explains how I have been feeling lately and given me a remedy.
I am a massage and reiki therapist and use techniques of building a sense of plugging in to peoples bodies and hold a circuit through which a charge flows. As soon I I feel the connection happen then I feel subtle contractions begin the fascia and these increase so that the bigger muscles themselves contract. I hold the weight of the body’s limbs so that the muscles express as non-volition also movement, then follow these movements. I’ve written about it extensively elsewhere.
Anyway, I have been really busy working with clients and ended up not feeling like I was in my body and incredibly fatigued. Not even the Hyperbaric oxygen has helped. I have been doing Laura’s healing meditations which is almost identical to the beginners grounding exercise given here.

I still need to keep doing it and I will use the grounding imagery when I go back to work. I have a break from work until 9 January.
Thanks for the thread!
Bookmarking it, lots of information I need to take on board.

Thanks , Zar , for such profound explanation of grounding process and its difference from earthing (I used to think they are the same) ! Practicing yoga, I always finish the lesson with relaxation in “corpse pose” , but I didn’t know It was actually Gravity Grounding Meditation, thank you) I always feel very peaceful , grateful and full of positive/good energy after it!
Also Looking for grounding practices , I came across the Grounding by David Router and found it interesting , rather easy and effective and it doesn’t take long if you don’t have much time for example.
This grounding exercise invokes a non-volitional movement also.

Edit: the grounding I have been doing till now is just walking around or lying in the grass. I often have strong cravings to do it.

What I found interesting is that if the nervous system is still dealing with a lot of traumatic energy in the body, grounding can feel threatening, and other resources may be necessary in those instances.
I wonder if David Berceli's TRE exercises would help. I found doing some of these exercises that are more passive and require your imagination to, at times, actually be stress inducing, so sometimes I need to perform active or sympathetic nervous system activities before I can settle back down and feel safe in my body, which can be a huge barrier. Some of the trauma-related literature over the years has stated that if you're in more of a parasympathetic shutdown (so terror/threat is lurking around the corner) that you need to move into a sympathetic response to activate and help release some of the excess - shaking, for example - and then can you settle back down to feeling more relaxed and engaged in general where grounding exercises will be more of a benefit.

Here's a good video that I found a few years back that explains it quite well while going through the exercises. And it's not just for mom's or caregivers.

Hi,
Thanks Zar and everyone sharing information in this thread.
It's funny because I met someone last friday who adviced me to buy an earthing machine and also ground thru a meditation process as explained in the 1st page by Zar.
I thought "I'm sure that someone already posted something about it in this "crazy" forum where you can find anything you ask or quite a lot !" and here I am :-P

I wonder if David Berceli's TRE exercises would help. I found doing some of these exercises that are more passive and require your imagination to, at times, actually be stress inducing, so sometimes I need to perform active or sympathetic nervous system activities before I can settle back down and feel safe in my body, which can be a huge barrier. Some of the trauma-related literature over the years has stated that if you're in more of a parasympathetic shutdown (so terror/threat is lurking around the corner) that you need to move into a sympathetic response to activate and help release some of the excess - shaking, for example - and then can you settle back down to feeling more relaxed and engaged in general where grounding exercises will be more of a benefit.

Here's a good video that I found a few years back that explains it quite well while going through the exercises. And it's not just for mom's or caregivers.

Again TRE elicits non-volitional movement like some grounding exercises to ‘release’ tension from the overcharged body.

It's funny because I met someone last friday who adviced me to buy an earthing machine.......
I watched the The Earthing Movie and in one section they used electronic equipment with apparently good results, so I looked up some equipment sites: e.g., Earthing.com. Not sure what to think of it, but I could use a little help with a shoulder issue right now. If anyone has any insights about the "equipment" option for grounding would you pass them on? Thanks!

Interesting, Zar! I'd never thought about grounding in terms of thought/intention before..

I grew up in a tropical climate and used to hardly ever wear shoes, I went everywhere barefoot for most of my late teens-mid 20s.. Didn't know anything about grounding, I just found it more comfy. The rare occasion I did have to have shoes on, I found it very mentally uncomfortable. I felt disconnected and clumsy, and like I couldn't think properly.. it was a weird and very noticeable effect..

I live in a place that gets cold now, so have to wear shoes.. I've grown used to it. Definitely couldn't go back to being 100% barefoot. My soles were filthy! But so tough. They're soft and pampered now, I can't walk on sharp gravel any more without wincing :)

I try to get outside without shoes as much as I can, but it's not much and I do feel I've lost something, a bit.. So thanks for the ideas about grounding meditation! I'll try it.
Yes Zar I'll work on that too thankyou.
I think in some areas where it's sunny out there is a lot of charge capacitance.
I love to go barefoot just because it feels good.
I think your techniques here are better but I have to practice more.
One thing I love is the exuberance of the birds in the morning. There is such holy vitality in the roosters crowing, and I am reminded of the holiness in the world around me.
But to align intent with soul is so important. And it is grounding more because I'll have egoistic hyperthoughts and racing emotional thinking, and the practice allows gentle alignment with soul.
Brandon you are a gentleman with a beautiful ego and with a sense of humor too.
I guess it proves the old saying: a gentleman is always grounded. Hope I don't offend anybody.

Back
Top Bottom