Green cardamom essential oils can help combat drug resistance in pathogens

Alejo

Ambassador
Ambassador
FOTCM Member
Hey everyone,

I came across this article as I was doing my news round up tonight and I found it interesting as I have been hearing for years about the biofilms that certain pathogens can develop and thus become resistant to treatment by medication. I translated the article using DeepL:

Green cardamom essential oils can help combat the gradual development of drug resistance in pathogens, scientists have discovered.

The team of researchers discovered in green cardamom compounds a valuable ability to inhibit the formation of bacterial biofilms that protect pathogenic flora from the effects of drugs.

At least 80% of infectious diseases are caused by bacteria capable of forming these biofilms, according to data from the US National Institute of Health.

Microorganisms know how to inform the whole community about a dangerous environment for them by means of a kind of chemical language. As a result, these biofilms are formed.

Cardamom silences the bacteria, which allows antibiotics to successfully carry out their attack and thus defeat the disease.

"Green cardamom essential oil will help fight multidrug-resistant microorganisms: even at a concentration of 0.125%, which is an order of magnitude below the lethal concentration for bacteria, it effectively suppresses biofilm formation in gram-negative human and animal pathogens," said Mikhail Chikindas, one of the authors of the study.

Scientists believe that cardamom can be used in the development of new drugs to combat bacterial resistance. Cardamom-based drugs are especially effective in combating infections such as E. coli, streptococcus and salmonella, the researchers said.

Here's a link to the original article of the study (I think) in Russian.

Back
Top Bottom