God's debris

Azur

The Living Force
Stumbled across this, the synopsis looks interesting. Haven't read it, passing it along. This means buyer beware. :-)

Synopsis

Imagine that you meet a very old man who-you eventually realize-knows literally everything. Imagine that he explains for you the great mysteries of life-quantum physics, evolution, God, gravity, light, psychic phenomenon, and probability-in a way so simple, so novel, and so compelling that it all fits together and makes perfect sense. What does it feel like to suddenly understand everything? God's Debris isn't the final answer to the Big Questions. But it might be the most compelling vision of reality you will ever read. The thought experiment is this: Try to figure out what's wrong with the old man's explanation of reality. Share the book with your smart friends then discuss it later while enjoying a beverage.

http://www.andrewsmcmeel.com/godsdebris/

too many books... not enough time.

currently reading: C of Z & Ponerology

finished: Wave Series 1-4, ISotM, Active Side of Infinity, Adventures Series online

still to read: Secret History, Fire from Within, Unholy Hungers, Mask of Sanity... prob like 2 more im forgetting atm.

Just read it.

It makes you think about the sureal reality that we are living right now.

The story is IMO colinear with this forum, the lack of awareness of our present time, but lacks the real dangers presented by SotT forumites.

I would label it as SciFi.

net8a said:
Just read it.

It makes you think about the sureal reality that we are living right now.

The story is IMO colinear with this forum, the lack of awareness of our present time, but lacks the real dangers presented by SotT forumites.

I would label it as SciFi.
I think the questions it asks are good ones, but some of the answers are iffy (and some are most likely wrong). But definitely good food for thought!

ScioAgapeOmnis said:
I think the questions it asks are good ones, but some of the answers are iffy (and some are most likely wrong). But definitely good food for thought!
Having jsut read it, what you say here pretty much sums up my feelings as well. :-) It was a fun read, though.

Just finished reading it. Mostly same comments as SOA and Azur. But he did begin with a sort of 'disclaimer' though (about the simplest answer 'sounding' like the most plausible one though more often than not the simplest answer is not the right answer).
It's a refreshing 'mental exercise' of sorts. At the very least, it makes for some interesting and entertaining watercooler or cup of java talk.

(MINOR SPOILER)
One thing I noticed though. He goes on in detail about 'probabilities' as the 'mechanism' that explains how things are. And in the Hitchhiker 'Trilogy' books, the lead character starts off hitching a ride on a spaceship after Earth is destroyed. And the ship travels/warps from place to place by using a 'probability altering' engine.
And they both have 'Adams' for their family name! What is the probablity of that 'coincidence'? :-)

Just read this today.

(SPOILER)
I like the idea about levels of awareness. I came up with a similar concept on my own before I even read God's Debris.

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=51483116&blogID=192348540&Mytoken=F103BFA7-3C1F-4B36-97CAD6C84ADBCB6935103693

I have to say, I like this idea of being an Avatar or a Wanderer, someone who teaches others about the secrets of the universe, and helps maintain balance. Maybe this is arrogant or wishful thinking, or perhaps it is simply a matter of fate, that the path I have walked thus far has consistently led me to seek the optimum service to others.

Or maybe it's still an idea wrapped up in Service to Self, that I want to be the hero, the one who saves others from their own illusions, their own demons.

Back
Top Bottom