Gnostic Religion

T

Torpid

I see allot of free thinkers, friends of mine, and the like, veering towards a religion that just years ago meant nothing to me, the gnostic religion. I know some of the general basis of the religion , but have just started to learn about the beliefs, I was hoping that someone more knowledgeable might be able to help me out. With so many religions out there I was surprised so many people I know have become gnostic, well, any guidance is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Ive heard things such as that its appeal has raised through the jedi is star wars, can this be attributed to the increased publicity?

This is difficult as it gets in to the area of "belief" which can vary from person to person. If your friends are gnostic then there is no reason for you to be Gnostic. And writing of religion makes things difficult too as it involves the hand or organization of mankind around beliefs.And when men start directing other men upon their beliefs, it becomes very open to manipulation both of the set of beliefs and of the "follower" thenselves.

And the whole concept of Gnosticism can be confusing as well, I thought I was vaguely Gnostic, basing my beliefs on "knowledge" and I read the wiki entry about it discovering it was Christian.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gnosticism

It appears the Gnostics have many schisms and thus many beliefs!

However if we look at Gnosis as a belief system this appears to be more in line with what I thought Gnostic to be.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gnosis

So...... have a read and if you so wish to put a label on your beliefs, it's your choice.

As for Star Wars, it fits into some sort of duality model of good vs evil. But there again most of what Hollywood pumps out is based on the melodrama which follows this theme. Perhaps you could list your beliefs as "Jedi"?!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jedi_census_phenomenon

Ahh, perhaps that is where my confusion spawned, see, each of my aquantinces that claimed to be gnostic all had varying views, some seemingly completley diffrent than the other. Personally I'd rather not label my beliefs, however, im always intruigued when others label theirs. Thanks for the response.

Wikipedia said:
On November 16, 2006, two self-proclaimed Jedi delivered a protest letter to UN officials in recognition of the UN International Day of Tolerance. They requested that it be renamed the "UN Interstellar Day of Tolerance" and cited the 2001 UK Census showing 390,000 Jedis. [11]
Im surprised I never heard about that, perhaps I should! :D

Torpid said:
I see allot of free thinkers, friends of mine, and the like, veering towards a religion that just years ago meant nothing to me, the gnostic religion. I know some of the general basis of the religion , but have just started to learn about the beliefs, I was hoping that someone more knowledgeable might be able to help me out. With so many religions out there I was surprised so many people I know have become gnostic, well, any guidance is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Ive heard things such as that its appeal has raised through the jedi is star wars, can this be attributed to the increased publicity?

Go to rssb.org (and Science of the Soul.org for books) The current Master is Baba Gurinder Singh (pic at RSSB site link)

Back
Top Bottom