From Fatigue to Fantastic! - Book Review

Ollie

SuperModerator
FOTCM Member
After reading ‘The Immunity Fix’, (previously reviewed on the Forum), and digesting the contents, a rereading of both ‘Adrenal Fatigue the 21st Century Stress Syndrome’, by James M Wilson, (Smart Publications, Petaluma, CA, 2001) – mentioned in several threads on the Forum - and ‘Living Well With Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia’, by Mary J Shomon, (HarperCollins, NY, 2004) was made in order to revisit possible sources of, to put thoughts together particularly with reference to, fatigue, inflammation and infection, and their influence on the immune system. It was in the latter book that frequent mentions were made about Dr Teitelbaum and his books, and in particular about this book reviewed here. Mary Shomon, in her book, even admitted that if she had made use of Dr Teitelbaum’s diagnostic tool earlier she would have recovered faster than she actually did.
The full title of the book is: ‘From Fatigue to Fantastic! The comprehensive guide to Optimizing Energy and Recovery from: Pain, Insomnia, Brain Fog, Infections, and much more’, written by Jacob Teitelbaum M.D. (Avery, NY, 2020, 4th Ed).

Interestingly, all three authors suffered and recovered from what they wrote about. First, a little history about Dr Teitelbaum. Whilst at medical school, and performing well, he was struck down with a viral illness leading to a total lack of energy, an energy crisis, which necessitated dropping out of medical school, as he was too ill to continue attending. He was too ill to get any other work too, and became homeless and slept rough. However, he was able to meet many teachers and to get to know himself. What he learned from these teachers, and himself, enabled him to recover and to go on to finish medical school and gain his MD. From this experience he was able to learn how to help others to recover too. He undertook thousands of literature searches to understand the human energy crisis, and this is distilled in this book as an integrated approach, one which he applies in his own practice.

This book is an authentic and comprehensive resource guide, and explores the many factors that may be responsible for these conditions and how to treat them, both from a pharmacological point of view and, through the use of natural supplements. Recommended reading.

A conservative estimate puts 25 million of Americans as suffering needlessly from fatigue, pain, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia, and, over 65 thousand Americans die needlessly from pharmacological pain medications each year.

The book is organised in five Parts, and what follows gives an overview of those Parts. Each chapter has as an introduction, and usually inside the chapter as well, what the author calls ‘Brain Fog Friendly’; a simple summary of what is contained or suggested.

Part 1 – Optimising Energy with S H I N E
Sleep: Recharge your batteries
Hormones: Your body’s communication system
Infections and Immunity: Our body’s defence system
Nutrition: ‘Garbage in Garbage out’
Exercise, and Emotional and spiritual optimisation (a critical foundation for overall health)
This Part is what the author calls ‘Brain Fog Friendly: just by following the advice given in this Part will go a long way to reducing fatigue and regaining energy. It is for people who mild to medium fatigue. It is the first foundation for recovery.

Part 2 – Getting Pain Free – Now!
This Part covers the 10 types of pain:
Myofascial (muscle) pain; Pain from inflammation; Neuropathic (nerve) pain; Migraines and other headaches; Abdominal pain; Nerve compression; Central sensitisation; Allodynia (a type of dry skin pain); Pelvic pain syndrome; and Sympathetically mediated pain.
There are Chapters on:
Natural pain relief, Prescription pain relief, and Addressing each of the 10 types of pain.
This Part is for people who have good energy, yet feel pain. It is the second foundation for recovery.

Part 3 – S H I N E Intensive Care Recovering from Chronic fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia.
This Part covers: Sleep; Hormones and Hypotension; Infections; the Immune system, balancing Th1 and Th2; Nutrition; Exercise; Sensitivities; Losing weight with CFS and FMS.
The most common complaints among CFS/FMS patients include: overwhelming Fatigue; severe Insomnia; Brain fog; Achiness and Pain; increased Thirst; frequent Infections; Allergies and Sensitivities; Anxiety and Depression; Weight gain; decreased Libido; amongst other less common complaints.
The common triggers often occur after the initial problem that caused the initial stress are historic. If the illness begins suddenly it may be due to one or other of the following:
viral, parasitic, or antibiotic-sensitive infections; injury; pregnancy; and toxic exposures. If the illness creeps up slowly, it may be due to one or other of the following:
yeast (candida) overgrowth (especially if sinusitis or nasal congestion, and/or a spastic colon are present too); hormone deficiencies; chronic stress (both work related and domestic relationships); autoimmune disorders; mould toxin illness; and, anything that disrupts sleep.
The foundations were laid in Part 1 and Part 2. This Part is the crux of the book. It shows how to plug the energy leaks whilst increasing energy production to overcome the energy crisis, and to live life again, fully. Effective treatments are described, either natural on their own, or combined with medications, and tailored to the specific problem that needs addressing to recover health.

Part 4 – The Mind-Body-Spirit Connection
This Part is about using tools (including the Polyvagal theory and EMF) to reset the psyche, brain and nervous circuitry. Everything is connected, the body to both the mind and spirit.

Part 5 - How to Proceed and Resources
Much of this relates to North America, in terms of finding an holistic physician and surviving prescription costs.

Appendix - An in-depth review of Immune Dysfunction in CFS/FMS (by Dr Samuel F Yanuch)

Sounds interesting - thanks for the review, Ollie!

Might need to put that on my (ever growing) reading list - squeezed in between romance novels (BTW - did he mentioned these in Part 4, too? Just kidding!).

Thank you. Very interesting revue. I will put me also the book on my looooong column of books.

Thank you for the review Ollie. I've just ordered this book. I have experienced debilitating chronic fatigue in the past and have worked for years to improve my health, thanks in largest part to what I have learned on the forum and dealing with emotional issues. There's always room for improvement and am looking forward to a very good read!

I just bought it. It will be a minute before I can get to it, but I've been looking for answers for this issue for years already. Hopefully, there will be something in it that can make a difference for me.

Back
Top Bottom