For the preppers

I do not consider myself a prepper, more like into homesteading and permaculture and I started vegetable and herbs/spices gardening last year, this year I am preparing a new one. I am also considering a chicken coop with special breeds for eggs, I need them and the manure and that's it, I am not that much into chicken meat.

There was a nice family with a booklet about a system with aquaponics and chickens that they came up with, called "The Garden Pool Feed your Family from your Backyard Ecosystem". I am thinking that by large scale aquaponics, we can avoid soil exhaustion to some extent.🏡👨‍🌾

There was a nice family with a booklet about a system with aquaponics and chickens that they came up with, called "The Garden Pool Feed your Family from your Backyard Ecosystem". I am thinking that by large scale aquaponics, we can avoid soil exhaustion to some extent

I would suggest, if you have a real interest in aqua-ponics, to check your local Colleges and Universities that list Agriculture degrees. They can forward you information on Farm extension groups in your area, who are generally affiliated with a Technical school for 5-12 week courses in the basics of aqua farming and hands on experience. The courses are budget friendly/low cost.

Aqua-ponics is more involved and technical then using soil for gardening. With soil, you deal with PH-factors, minerals and type of soil.
In Aqua-ponics, the system involves temperature control of the water and pumps for circulating. The environment surrounding the system needs to be kept between 68-72*F and an exhaust system in the greenhouse to remove excess moisture, periodically. There's more supervision involved in maintaining the system which includes testing the water for the correct nutrient levels and checks on bacterial counts.

Many add large fish tanks or pool vats connected to the Aqua-ponic system and farm fish along with vegetable gardening. It's called campanion gardening.

Raising chickens to supplement the nutrients in an Aqua-ponic system is a poor choice. Chicken fertilizer contains a high ammonia base that can destroy root systems, if too highly concentrated. It's OK to add a small amount to garden soil but you can achieve the same result using Baking Soda.

A list of short downloadable preppers' books. Thought might be helpful

Thanks for the link. They always provide interesting ideas.

Great tips, angelburst, thanks!!! I am no biologist or chemist so the chicken fertilizer part I would not have figured out by myself so easily! I have used small portions of chicken and bunny manure in the garden in the past and I am aware that the chicken manure is powerful, I have soaked it in water and used carefully! I wanted to get some chickens, but we are not allowed to leave the city without providing proof to the police from last week because of the virus, so I can't access the garden, which is ~20-30km away from where I live...

For now I use the southern exposure tiny balcony by making vertical setups both on the inside and outside. On the inside, I use a normal plastic shelf in front of my window. On the outside I created from a bunch of spare wood something that resembles the design below, so I can reuse plastic bottles (I drill a bunch of holes on the bottom, fill up with compost and seeds and an automatic watering system on batteries from Aliexpress).

I've always thought companion gardening means when, for example, you have a square foot garden and the nearby plants need to be compatible and to also be helping each other (such as tomato + marigold + basil), there are also charts you can find on google and pinterest on what plant has proven to be compatible with which other ones. Regardless, I have thought of trying it out for the exact some reason - to be able to rear fish along with the plants as food. For now, I've only put basil cuttings in my betta fish aquarium and they have successfully grown to normal sized plants.

I have a whole load of books and a few DVDs on my PC about aquaponics (and other food growing related topics ), but I will check locally if there are courses or companies, which can help me get it up and running with an aquaponics system. I have read and compared hydroponics and aeroponics with aquaponics and more fond of naturally fertilizing a soil-less system then mixing and adding chemicals.

Indeed, it's a more difficult system to maintain and it's not only roses and sunshine as opposed to a soil-based system (where you need heavy machinery, spraying for bugs, etc), there are still challenges like diseases and other issues, but I can design a system with a bunch of sensors, motors and cameras to keep track and automate the greenhouse climate and the aquaponics system as much as possible, as well as observe metrics from a distance. For soil based experiments, I have thought of Farm Bot which is open source, but it's going to take some time to build, but is definitely going to be a lot of fun to observe and use afterwards.

003c15f52fecc2df063aa20f433b4b75.jpg

I am in the very beginning

of prepping a little bit, adding slowly.

There is one thing that came immediately to my mind. That in a scenario with scarce or just bad industrial food - coming into situations where you eat anything e.g. not so healthy stuff

So my thinking (and doing) was to counteract that with storing large amounts of vitamin-c - (ascorbic acid powder), magnesium, vitamin-D.

Also H2O2 (desinfectant, cleaning water, help with infections, etc) just to name a few.

So that there is a fair chance to balance things a bit when really hard periods would emerge in terms of very few food choices.

This is an excellent, comprehensive book for DIY, simple living off the land. I believe there is a downloadable version.

Joel Skousen's weekly news analysis newsletter always has an excellent prepping section at the end. Worldaffairsbrief.com. If you write to him, I think he will send a free sample. If you subscribe, you will have access to all of them. He has some very good books like Strategic Relocation, and The Safe Home, both written with the coming hard times in mind.
Example prepping subjects are laundry systems, infection control, off-grid communications, water access and purification systems, seed saving and food growing, food storage and rotation, nutrition and natural medicines, building safe communities, etc.
Here is the preparedness section from this weeks newsletter:

PREPAREDNESS TIP: 80 PERCENT LOWERS by Andrew Skousen

The first step toward banning civilian ownership of firearms is to register all their guns. Nearly all firearms manufactured since 1968 are required to have a serial number printed on the weapon allowing the weapon to be traced to its original manufacturer and, depending on state law, also traced to every owner. Background check laws have done very little to stop guns from ending up in the wrong hands, but they do result in a record of who buys a firearm and even which weapon they own. Anyone with an FFL (Federal Firearm License) must perform a background check before buying, selling or trading a firearm per federal law. Most states do not yet have a “universal background check law” so individuals can still sell their own weapons with less restrictions but that is likely to change in the near future with a Biden administration and a leftist congress.
Another loophole that will soon be closed off soon is the exception for homemade weapons. Anyone can legally make their own firearm without a serial number provided the weapon is not sold to others. Considering various parts on any weapon can be changed out like the trigger, barrel, slide, firing pin, etc., the part that is legally “the firearm” is the lower receiver. This is the framework around the trigger that all the other parts are connected to, and so this part is required to have the license number printed on it. Legally, if you manufacture at least 20% of this part you have legally “manufactured” your own firearm and are not required to have a serial number or record your weapon. Because of this loophole a market has grown around selling this part with all but 20% of it completed. “80% lowers” are sold with or without the jigs and tools to finish the manufacturing process. Sellers will also happily sell you the rest of the parts to form a complete weapon, or you can salvage them from another complete weapon you have.
Manufacturing a part for a firearm in your shop or garage might sound daunting, but the truth is with a good jig almost anyone can complete the process using just a power drill and a router. The lowers are made from either aluminum or polymer plastic that is carved out easily and quickly by a power tool with carbide bits. The best jigs simplify the process so it only takes an afternoon the first time and as little as 30 minutes once you know the process.
There are many manufacturers of 80% lowers. Here is a review of some of the best options. Most lowers are for rifles: AR-15, AR-10 / .308 (the AR-10 platform is not as standardized as AR-15, so verify all parts), AR-9 and even 22lr. There are also a few pistol options: Glock 9 and 40, Sig P320, and (of course) the popular 1911 (double-stack or single stack). Manufacturers are expanding into other weapons, so search for the kind of weapon you are looking for (or already own).

Aluminum lowers are more expensive but they are more durable than the polymer plastic lowers. Grade 6061 billet aluminum is adequate for lifetime warranties and is easier to mill than the tougher 7075-T6 grade aluminum, but either are acceptable. Polymer plastic is not mil-spec like aluminum, but it is lighter, cheaper, corrosion resistant and easier to mill. The high grade reinforced polymer from James Madison Tactical and Polymer80 are the better options in this category. They come with their own jigs for around $100 (you provide your own tools).
Aluminum lowers will need a good jig kit to complete. You can get aluminum lowers with a jig but few of these jigs have good reviews. Good quality universal jigs like those from 5D Tactical are over $200 but their professional setup makes the process fast and easy—ideal if you need to make multiple lowers. Their AR-15 jig is $220 and the multiplatform jig (for AR-15, AR-10, and AR-9) is $289. You will also need to buy the tool kit with the router-specific milling bit for $55.

Don’t be discouraged by the idea of manufacturing your own weapon part. These mostly completed lower receivers make the process very straightforward to finish. I recommend everyone make one to replace the serial number version on every weapon they own (that they can). There are multiple ways to avoid a weapon roundup but surrendering the part with the serial number is a foolproof option with this loophole. Don’t wait to take advantage of this opportunity. Most websites are already backordered by 5 or 6 weeks, and the ATF has already tried to intimidate the maker of Polymer80 products with a raid recently. Polymer80 is a big manufacturer of 80% polymer lower receivers, showing that the PTB have this loophole in their sights so it won’t be around for long. [END]

Back
Top Bottom