First interstellar comet in our solar system?

Altair

Ambassador
Ambassador
FOTCM Member
Stumbled upon this tweet: https://twitter.com/astrokiwi/status/923061590706085891

Here is an excerpt from the minorplanetcenter webpage mentioned in the tweet:

MPEC 2017-U181: COMET C/2017 U1 (PANSTARRS)

Further observations of this object are very much desired. Unless there
are serious problems with much of the astrometry listed below, strongly
hyperbolic orbits are the only viable solutions. Although it is probably
not too sensible to compute meaningful original and future barycentric orbits,
given the very short arc of observations, the orbit below has e ~ 1.2 for
both values. If further observations confirm the unusual nature of this
orbit, this object may be the first clear case of an interstellar comet.

[...]

Source: _http://www.minorplanetcenter.net/mpec/K17/K17UI1.html

Orbit simulation: http://orbitsimulator.com/gravitySimulatorCloud/simulations/1508916436979_C2017U1.html

Altair this is one in a 1 thousands year opportunity to study how external comets behave when entering our solar system...

immediately I remembered one of the C's statement about Venus (in the old past) being an interstellar comet too... :cool2: :cool2: :cool2:

I'm not sure it is necessarily "external". Remember that orbits are calculated (deduced) from parameters such as speed vector and position relative to Sun (and/or other planets) at several observation/measurement points.

So there is no certainty that this comet always followed this calculated orbit which is hyperbolic and leads outside the Sol system. If this body was interfered with, for example kicked in from Oort cloud by some other massive body, and as a result gained some speed vector while already being part of Sol system, it would only appear that its orbit projects outside the Sol system...

Well, if it is interstellar, this is pretty exciting!!! Or maybe it is one of those kicked into the inner solar system by the Sun's companion!!!

Laura said:
Well, if it is interstellar, this is pretty exciting!!! Or maybe it is one of those kicked into the inner solar system by the Sun's companion!!!

I was thinking the same when reading about that comet. Maybe there are more to come.

Gawan said:
Laura said:

I was thinking the same when reading about that comet. Maybe there are more to come.

Yes, compare also its high speed relative to the speed of other comets present in the simulation.

The surprising feature, in addition to its very eccentric orbit is that it apparently didn't show a cometary structure. In fact, it has been reclassified as an asteroid: _http://www.minorplanetcenter.net/mpec/K17/K17UI3.html

K. Meech (Institute of Astronomy, University of Hawaii) reports that in a very deep stacked image, obtained with the VLT, this object appears completely stellar. The prefix for the designation 2017 U1 is therefore being changed to A/, in line with the 1995 IAU Resolution on the system of comet designations.

Now the call it asteroid:

But an object swept up just a week ago by observers using the PanSTARRS 1 telescope atop Haleakala on Maui has an extreme orbit — it's on a hyperbolic trajectory that doesn't appear to be bound to the Sun. Preliminary findings, published earlier today by the International Astronomical Union's Minor Planet Center (MPC), suggest that we are witnessing a body that escaped from another star.

"If further observations confirm the unusual nature of this orbit," notes Gareth Williams, the MPC's associate director, "this object may be the first clear case of an interstellar comet."

Initially designated C/2017 U1, this interloper was a dim, 20th-magnitude blip when first spotted on October 18th, after having zipped within 37,600,000 km (23,400,000 miles) of the Sun on September 9th. Such a close approach to the Sun's searing heat would ordinarily spell doom for a small comet. Based on its apparent brightness, dynamicist Bill Gray calculates that it would have a diameter of about 160 meters (525 feet) if it were a rock with a surface reflectivity of 10%. "It went past the Sun really fast," Gray notes, "and may not have had time to heat up enough to break apart."

Now it's headed out of the solar system, never to return. It passed closest to Earth on October 14th at a distance of about 24,000,000 km (15,000,000 miles), and astronomers worldwide have been tracking it in the hopes of divining its true nature — especially whether it's displaying any cometary activity.

Its true character became clearer after Karen Meech (University of Hawaii) recorded a series of images with the Very Large Telescope that, when stacked, showed a perfectly starlike object. So it's a deep-space asteroid, not a comet, and consequently officials at the MPC changed its designation to A/2017 U1.

What gave this object away as an interstellar visitor wasn't its very high inclination (122°) with respect to Earth's orbit, which isn't particularly rare, but more critically its extremely hyperbolic eccentricity (1.19).

Dynamicists had previously calculated how often comets and asteroids from other stars should be in our midst. However, the only other object suspected to have an interstellar origin was Comet Bowell (C/1980 E1), which had an eccentricity near 1.05. However, notes S&T Senior Contributing Editor Roger Sinnott, "Comet Bowell apparently was not hyperbolic on the way in, but only as it left" because that object passed within 35,000,000 km (0.23 a.u.) of Jupiter, whose gravity gave it a boost in speed.

This object entered the solar system moving at 26 km (16 miles) per second. At that speed, in 10 million years it would traverse 8,200,000,000,000,000 km — more than 850 light-years.

According to Gray, the PanSTARRS "comet" appears to have entered the solar system from the direction of the constellation Lyra, within ½° of right ascension 18h 44m, declination +34° 40′. That's 4½° from Vega — tantalizingly close and eerily reminiscent of the plot of the movie Contact. Given that Vega lies 25 light-years away, a hypothetical escapee would have taken nearly 300,000 years to get here. However, due to its combined radial and proper motion, back then Vega itself would have been nowhere near where it is now.

More intriguing is the fact that A/2017 U1 is coming from a spot only 6° from the solar apex, the direction that our Sun is moving (at about 20 km/s) through its interstellar neighborhood and thus, statistically, the most likely incoming direction for an interstellar visitor.

Source: http://www.skyandtelescope.com/astronomy-news/astronomers-spot-first-known-interstellar-comet/

Another article with video.

Mysterious object from deep space has entered the solar system
http://www.foxnews.com/science/2017/10/27/mysterious-object-from-deep-space-has-entered-solar-system.html

It was first seen just a month ago. A tiny blip of light was seen to be moving through the sky by the PanSTARRS1 telescope in Hawaii.

The number-crunching which followed was automatic. The results were unusual.

This object is in an odd position. It’s moving very fast. And it’s in what appears to be a somewhat extreme orbit. Extreme enough not to actually be an orbit, in fact.

Observations published by the by the International Astronomical Union’s Minor Planet Center (MPC) suggest it could have come from deep space.

Specifically, it could be a comet that has escaped another star.

“If further observations confirm the unusual nature of this orbit, this object may be the first clear case of an interstellar comet,” the MPC declares.

WHAT IS C/2017 U1? - The PanSTARRS telescope spotted the object only after it was flung back out towards the stars by our Sun.

It’s not likely to ever return. It flashed past Earth at 24 million kilometres on October 14.

Many eyes watched it closely, keen to determine exactly what it was. Their curiosity was piqued by where it had come from.

Most objects orbiting our Sun do so along a common plane: the planets, dwarf planets and asteroids mostly swing around in roughly the same way.

This one appears to have come down on the plane from 122 degrees, from the direction of the star Vega, in the constellation Lyra. And its path did not indicate the curved ellipse typical of clockwork-like returning comets.

Best guesstimates make it a comet of about 160m diameter, with a surface reflectivity (albedo) of about 10 per cent.

A WANDERER - The object has just been through a close call (in Solar System terms): it came within 38 million km of our star before its momentum and the Sun’s gravity hurled it back outward.

Normally such a close pass would be fatal. But C/2017U1 was travelling too fast for the Sun’s heat to consume it.

It was moving at 26km per second when first observed.

Astronomers are now attempting to refine their observations and data to pinpoint exactly where it came from. If it truly is of interstellar origin, the next task is to find which star it is likely to have come from.

At the moment, it appears to have been somewhere in the direction of the star Vega.

It’s also likely to have been wandering, alone, in deep space for a very, very long time.

Vega is a relatively close neighbour of our Sun at 25 light years distance. At the speed it’s travelling, it would take about 1.7 million years to cross the interstellar divide.

The comet/asteroid's name changd again:

http://www.minorplanetcenter.org/mpec/K17/K17V17.html said:
A new series of small-body designations for interstellar objects will be introduced: the I numbers. This new sequence will be similar in form to the comet numbering system and assignment of the numbers will be handled by the Minor Planet Center....

Correct forms for referring to this object are therefore: 1I; 1I/2017 U1; 1I/ʻOumuamua; and 1I/2017 U1 (ʻOumuamua)

mkrnhr said:
The surprising feature, in addition to its very eccentric orbit is that it apparently didn't show a cometary structure. In fact, it has been reclassified as an asteroid: _http://www.minorplanetcenter.net/mpec/K17/K17UI3.html

Very interesting case. I'm a bit rusty on my Electric Universe theory, but perhaps it lacked a typical cometary structure because of its highly eccentric orbit? From the Thunderbolts website:

Comets have elliptical orbits for good reason, and the most dramatic comet displays will typically involve highly elliptical orbits. During its time in the outer reaches of the solar system, the comet will acquire a negative charge with respect to the Sun. Then, as it approaches the inner limits of its orbit, accelerating through the electric field of the Sun, it will begin to discharge to the plasma surrounding it, producing the familiar bright coma and tail. Comet jets are electric discharges to the nucleus - the jets electrically machine the comet surface in a process similar to the industrial process known as spark discharge machining.

Here's an attempt to reproduce its entrance into the solar system:

interstellar_orbit.jpg

As one astronomer noted,

“This is the most extreme orbit I have ever seen,” said Farnocchia. “It is going extremely fast and on such a trajectory that we can say with confidence that this object is on its way out of the Solar System and not coming back.”

This is a very interesting event - it does seem like it was hurled by something, doesn't it?

mkrnhr said:
The comet/asteroid's name changd again:

http://www.minorplanetcenter.org/mpec/K17/K17V17.html said:
A new series of small-body designations for interstellar objects will be introduced: the I numbers. This new sequence will be similar in form to the comet numbering system and assignment of the numbers will be handled by the Minor Planet Center....

Correct forms for referring to this object are therefore: 1I; 1I/2017 U1; 1I/ʻOumuamua; and 1I/2017 U1 (ʻOumuamua)

Yes, and its orbit was confirmed:

On October 26, 2017, two precovery observations from the Catalina Sky Survey were found dated October 14 and October 17.[12] A two-week observation arc has verified the strongly hyperbolic nature of this object.[13]

Regarding origin of the new name:

The common name ʻOumuamua was chosen by the Pan-STARRS team. The name is Hawaiian in origin (ʻou means reach out for, and mua, with the second mua placing emphasis, means first, in advance of), and reflects the nature of the object as a "scout" or "messenger" from the past.

Images of strange solar system visitor peel away some of the mystery

Posted by Steven Young on November 19, 2017

A strange visitor, either asteroid or comet, zipping through our solar system at a high rate of speed is giving astronomers a once-in-a-generation opportunity to examine up close an object from somewhere else in our galaxy.

"It’s a really rare object," explains Ralf Kotulla, a University of Wisconsin–Madison astronomer who, with colleagues from UCLA and the National Optical Astronomy Observatory (NOAO), used the 3.5 meter WIYN Telescope on Kitt Peak, Arizona, to take some of the first pictures of the solar system interloper.

The object, known to astronomers as 1I/2017 U1, measures 180 m by 30 m (591 - 98 feet). In shape, the object resembles a fat cigar, half a city block long, and was first discovered October 19 by astronomers at the University of Hawaii combing the sky for near-Earth objects. Since then, astronomers who have access to telescope time have been zooming in on the object to see what they might learn.

According to Kotulla, the interloper is speeding through the solar system at an astonishing 64 374 km/h (40 000 mph). The high rate of speed and the orbit of the object could not be explained in the context of more run-of-the-mill comets or asteroids in our solar system.

A strange visitor, either asteroid or comet, zipping through our solar system at a high rate of speed is giving astronomers a once-in-a-generation opportunity to examine up close an object from somewhere else in our galaxy.

1I/2017 U1 dropped into our solar system from "above" the ecliptic, the plane where most planets and asteroids orbit the sun, and is now skipping away from the solar system, headed back to interstellar space.

"This object has considerable speed. It is not bound to the sun" like comets or asteroids native to our solar system, Kotulla explains. "Its orbit doesn’t take it anywhere near the major planets."

The WIYN Telescope made its observations of 1I/2017 U1 on October 27 shortly after the object’s closest pass to Earth. The WIYN team’s findings were reported online November 13, 2017 in a preprint on Astro-Ph. The gist of the report is that 1I/2017 U1 — aside from its origin beyond the solar system, its unusual orbit and shape, and high rate of speed — is unremarkable when its physical properties are compared to similar objects from our own solar system.

Because it is so small and moving at such a high rate of speed, the object, even to a relatively large telescope like WIYN, appears faint, a fuzzy spot on a background of stars. The combination of being faint and fast means that 1I/2017 U1 is unlikely to be observed by amateur astronomers, the cadre of sky watchers that typically identifies new comets or asteroids sweeping close to Earth.

From the WIYN observations, no coma — a nebulous envelope of dust and gas created when comets heat up as they pass near the sun — is apparent. The WIYN team also failed to see a tail, the signature feature of a comet.

But the absence of the fuzzy halo and a detectable tail, notes Kotulla, does not mean that it isn’t a comet.

"That’s one of the questions we’re trying to answer," says the Wisconsin astronomer. "Comet or asteroid?"

The WIYN observations revealed that the object is elongated in shape and rotates on an axis about once every eight hours. From the perspective of Earth, the object is seen sideways and, as it spins on its axis, end-on, explaining variations in brightness as sunlight is reflected off the comet or asteroid. It also has a reddish tinge and a low albedo, suggesting 1I/2017 U1 lacks the coating of ice that many comets acquire as they spend most of their time in cold storage in the outer reaches of the solar system.

The upshot of the WIYN observations, says Kotulla, is that the visitor from some distant planetary system, beyond its robusto-cigar shape, looks very much like the objects that populate our own solar system.

Source: https://watchers.news/2017/11/19/images-of-strange-solar-system-visitor-peel-away-some-of-the-mystery/

The object is unusual in shape. The substantial variation in its brightness suggest an unusually elongated "asteroid", which adds to its other odd features highlighted early on: https://www.sott.net/article/368501-First-interstellar-asteroid-recorded-Oumuamua-is-like-nothing-observed-before

Artist depiction:
ooOumuamua.jpg

Back
Top Bottom