Fentanyl

A report out of Camp Pendleton, California of 24 U.S. Marines involved in drugs and human trafficking and an arrest of the organizer who conspired to recruit members of the Marines and other US citizens to transport people who had just unlawfully crossed the US/Medico border around San Diego.

Two-dozen US Marines were discharged after an investigation over their alleged involvement in drug crimes and a human trafficking operation along the border
Two-dozen US Marines were discharged after an investigation over their alleged involvement in drug crimes and a human trafficking operation along the border

Camp Pendleton

Camp Pendleton

February‎ ‎08‎, ‎2020‎ - Two-dozen Marines received less-than-honorable discharges from the US Marines following their reported involvement in human trafficking and drug-related crimes, Military.com reported.

One person will face 18 months in the brig, though most others avoided military court prosecution after chargers were dropped over issues with their arrest.

The case first came to light when two Marines were arrested with three non-US citizens in their vehicle about seven miles away from the US/Mexico border, according to the report.

Two-dozen US Marines have been discharged and at least one has been sentenced to time in prison following an investigation into their involvement in human smuggling and drug-related issues, a spokesperson for the Marines told Military.com.

The Marines, all from California's first 1st Marine Division, faced varying levels of punishment from administrative to judicial action, the spokesperson told Military.com

One Marine has been sentenced to 18 months in a military prison, and one other currently awaits a general court-martial trial, the most serious type of military trial, Military.com reported. Nine Marines who faced a courts-martial trial pleaded guilty to the charges and were discharged.

None of the 24 members dismissed were honorably discharged, and at least two of them were discharged with bad-conduct discharges, a spokesperson for the Marines told Military.com

The investigation into the battalion members began last year when border patrol agents arrested Lance Cpls. Byron Darnell Law II and David Javier Salazar-Quintero about seven miles from the US/Mexico border, according to the report. The officers determined that the Marines were transporting three undocumented immigrants.

The initial arrests reportedly led officers to learn of the other various drug-related and human trafficking crimes the 24 Marines would eventually be accused of, according to the report.

Police also arrested Francisco Saul Rojas-Hernandez after several of the Marines told authorities the man, who was arrested in San Diego, California, had orchestrated the human smuggling and paid the Marines to traffick the humans into the US.

According to a report from the San Diego Union-Tribune on February 5, federal prosecutors filed conspiracy charges against Rojas-Hernandez, claiming he conspired to recruit members of the Marines and other US citizens to transport people who had just unlawfully crossed the US/Medico border around San Diego.

Per the Union-Tribune, seven other US citizens who were arrested for transporting people who had illegally entered the country had named "Rojas" as the person who had organized the operation.

As Military.com had previously reported, prosecutors had dropped most of the drug and human trafficking charges against the two-dozen Marines who have since been discharged days after a military court ruled that their arrest outside of their Camp Pendleton, which the San Diego Union-Tribune said occurred in front of their 800-person battalion, was unlawful. The majority of those accused and discharged faced administrative action outside the Military court system.

Exclusive: Huge fentanyl haul seized in Asia's biggest-ever drugs bust
r

Weapons, ammunition, alongside bags of crystal methamphetamine and meth-laced yaba pills seized by Myanmar police and military are seen in this undated photo near Loikan village in Shan State, between February and April 2020 in what the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime described as Asia's biggest-ever drug bust. Myanmar Police/UNODC/Handout

(This May 18 story corrects to show Zaw Lin could not confirm which country the methylfentanyl came from, not declined to identify it, paragraph 25.)

Myanmar police say they have seized a huge haul of liquid fentanyl, the first time one of the dangerous synthetic opioids that have ravaged North America has been found in Asia’s Golden Triangle drug-producing region.

In a signal that Asia’s drug syndicates have moved into the lucrative opioid market, Reuters can reveal more than 3,700 litres of methylfentanyl was discovered by anti-narcotics police near Loikan village in Shan State in northeast Myanmar.

The seizure of the fentanyl derivative was part of Asia’s biggest-ever interception of illicit drugs, precursors and drug-making equipment, including 193 million methamphetamine tablets known as yaba. At 17.5 tonnes, the yaba almost equalled the amount seized in the previous two years in Myanmar.

The U.N. Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) said the scale of the bust was unprecedented and Myanmar’s anti-drug authorities had “dismantled a significant network” during a two-month operation involving police and military. Also seized were almost 163,000 litres and 35.5 tonnes of drug precursors, as well as weapons. There were more than 130 arrests.

Even so, the methylfentanyl discovery was an ominous indicator for the region’s illicit drug market, the U.N. agency and a Western official based in Myanmar told Reuters.

“It could be a game-changer because fentanyl is so potent that its widespread use would cause a major health concern for Myanmar and the region,” said the Western official, who declined to be identified.

In an interview with Reuters, the head of law enforcement for Myanmar’s counter-narcotics agency, Colonel Zaw Lin, said the methylfentanyl had been verified using state-of-the-art equipment.

The seizure showed the methods of the drug syndicates were changing, he said.

Fentanyl and its derivatives have caused more than 130,000 overdose deaths in the United States and Canada in the past five years, according to government agencies. The opioid epidemic has not swept Asia, Europe or Australasia but there have been signs it is an emerging threat.

“We have repeatedly warned the region fentanyl could become a problem but this is off the charts,” said the UNODC’s Southeast Asia and the Pacific representative Jeremy Douglas. “It is the shift in the market we have been anticipating, and fearing.”

DEADLY MIX
While Myanmar police did not disclose the purity and exact make-up of the methylfentanyl found, it comes in two main variants, both more potent than fentanyl, according to the European Union’s drug monitoring agency.

Fentanyl itself is 25 to 50 times stronger than heroin.

Increasingly, drug traffickers have been mixing fentanyl and its derivatives with heroin, meth and cocaine, adding to their potency and lethality.

Half of all heroin and cocaine overdoses in the United States included substances with traces of synthetic opioids in 2017, a Rand Corporation analysis found.

A Canadian survey found 73% of those who tested positive for fentanyl did not know they had consumed it.

Zaw Lin said the methylfentanyl and other drugs and precursors were found in clearings near Loikan village where several drug factories were located but had been abandoned when the raids took place.

“Upon interrogation, the offenders revealed most of the drugs would be distributed inside Myanmar and distributed around neighbouring countries,” he said. “But we are still conducting interrogations. We haven’t totally got the final destinations yet.”

Liquid fentanyl is usually converted into powder before being sold, often in tablet form, two analysts, who asked not to be identified, told Reuters.

CHEAP TO MAKE, EASY TO TRAFFIC
As well as being easier and cheaper to produce than heroin, strong synthetic opioids like fentanyl can be readily concealed and transported as only small amounts can deliver thousands of doses.

At a time when the coronavirus pandemic has closed borders and curbed movements in many countries, the UNODC is concerned that fentanyl will still spread around the world.

For decades, Asian crime syndicates in partnership with ethnic minority militias have used the Golden Triangle - centred on northern Myanmar and including parts of Laos and Thailand - to grow opium and refine heroin.

More recently, meth production by groups such as the Sam Gor syndicate has exploded in the region, in part due to a crackdown in neighbouring China.

Zaw Lin said the methylfentanyl had come from a neighbouring country but could not confirm which one. Myanmar police documents reviewed by Reuters said most of the seized drugs, precursors and equipment had come from China.

China, along with Mexico, has been a major supplier of fentanyl to North America but escalating law enforcement efforts have brought a slump in Chinese exports of the synthetic opioid to the United States, according to the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration.

Mexican cartels have picked up the slack but the UNODC said recent difficulties obtaining precursors from China had crimped their fentanyl production.

Northern Myanmar’s proximity to China makes it an attractive alternative for Asian drug syndicates looking to produce fentanyl and other synthetic opioids, analysts said.

“The alliances between Myanmar’s ethnic militias and transnational crime groups must be broken or the synthetic drug problem will continue to deteriorate,” said the UNODC’s Douglas.

Zaw Lin said Myanmar was stepping up efforts to disrupt the syndicates and was increasing cooperation with other nations.

“Myanmar is carrying out counter-drug operations as one of our top national priorities,” he said.

Slideshow (4 Images)
Exclusive: Huge fentanyl haul seized in Asia's biggest-ever drugs bust

A multilateral naval anti-drug operation confiscated 50 tonnes of cocaine in 45 days, Colombia President Ivan Duque said on Friday.

International naval operation nets 50 tonnes of cocaine in 45 days
May 29, 2020 - The Orion V operation - which includes 26 countries from the Americas and Europe - took place from the start of April until May 15. Some 150 people were arrested and dozens of watercraft and four airplanes were confiscated.

“During the development of this phase, when we see that the confiscated tonnes (of cocaine) continues growing and are above the dozens, it allows us to reaffirm that the commitment to multilateralism in the fight against drug trafficking is fundamental,” Duque said during virtual presentation.

The confiscated cocaine is equivalent to some 126 million doses and $1.7 billion in earnings for criminal gangs, Defense Minister Carlos Holmes Trujillo said. The operation also confiscated 7 tonnes of marijuana worth about $36.7 million.

The South American country has come under sustained pressure from the White House to reduce cultivation of the coca, the base ingredient in cocaine. Colombia’s potential cocaine production was up by 8% to 951 metric tons last year, the White House says.

The Orion operation - part of a series of joint efforts to combat trafficking - has confiscated 180.3 tonnes of cocaine and 22.6 tonnes of marijuana so far this year.

Drug trafficking has long fed the Andean country’s internal armed conflict. Leftist rebel group the National Liberation Army (ELN), dissidents from the former Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) guerrillas - who demobilized under a 2016 peace deal - and criminal groups all make money from the trade, according to security sources.

Regarding Fentanyl - or opioids and the treatment of naloxone, Rosemary Frie has an article out that looks at the naloxone question, statistics of opioid deaths, manufacturing, lobbying; which comes around to companies producing covid vacines for J&J et cetera. There are a lot of moving parts to this article:

Putting the whole article here - the bold text is Rosemary's:

Naloxone and the Opioid Crisis: It’s a Wild West​

When I was threatened by a pharmacist earlier this month just for taking a couple of photos of his pharmacy building from the street and saying I wanted to ask him some questions about naloxone, I knew I'd stumbled onto an important story. Let me take you on a tour of the Wild West that's the mass distribution of the opioid-overdose-reversing medication in the name of saving lives.

Rosemary Frei, MSc
August 27, 2022

photo-1635091242797-7283c28610c7-scaled.jpeg

A pharmacist named Jason Newman threatened me earlier this month.
Newman runs an organization called FRAEM -- ‘The Foundation for the Responsible Administration of Emergency Medicines.’ It distributes large numbers of naloxone kits to members of the general public at places such as street festivals. I’d first encountered the organization in late June 2022 at a booth in downtown Toronto during the city’s Pride festival.
Naloxone is an opioid-overdose-reversing medication that’s usually used in intranasal-spray or intramuscular-injection forms, as part of ‘take-home kits.’
After looking into FRAEM a little bit at the end of July 2022, I’d decided to try to find out more about that organization, Newman and naloxone. Newman keeps his name out of the public eye by not having his name on the FRAEM website or handouts. I tried to reach him by phone via the number on the home page of the website but he didn't return my calls.
I’d therefore decided to visit his pharmacy – which is has the same street address in the town of Delaware, Ontario, as an organization FRAEM – in the hope that Newman would be there and talk to me. I arrived at the pharmacy -- on a short side trip while visiting my home town of London, which is just a few kilometres east of Delaware – on August 6 at 12:15 p.m., shortly before the pharmacy closed for the day. But the staff said he wasn’t in; they told me he was out of town.
I was hungry and ate lunch nearby. During the meal a friend of mine I was with decided to do an internet search for Newman’s name. I hadn’t done that yet.
Her quick search revealed that Newman had been reprimanded for professional misconduct because of work he does via FRAEM -- that is, handing out naloxone to members of the public, door to door and in other venues such as street festivals, outside of his pharmacy and sometimes with and by associates of his who aren’t pharmacists. (See this news report, and this one, this one, this one, and the early-2020 Ontario College of Pharmacists’ ruling against Newman. And here is the Ontario College of Pharmacists’ guideline on dispensing naloxone.)
Therefore after lunch I decided to walk the short distance back to the pharmacy building and take a couple of photos of it from near the road, in case I later decided I wanted to include a picture of the pharmacy in a future article on naloxone. Here's one of my photos of it:
Reduced-resolution-Delaware-Pharmacy-approx-2-20-pm-Aug-6-2022-300x169.jpeg

I was stunned when suddenly, a light-blue pickup truck pulled up beside me. The driver’s door opened. A man – who I realized must be Newman – gruffly told me to stop taking pictures, and that he wouldn’t answer my questions.
He ordered me to leave immediately and threatened to contact the cops and lawyers if I returned and took more photos. He called over to the driver of a car that was parked on the other side of me but who I couldn’t see. Newman was clearly signaling to me that it wasn't just him present and keeping an eye on me.

I left, waving goodbye to Newman and that unseen associate of his.

That situation was startling and scary. But it propelled me to probe beneath the glowing superficial image of the necessity for mass distribution of naloxone in the name of saving lives. (I also emailed the Ontario College of Pharmacists to let them know what had happened.)
What I've uncovered suggests that Newman’s actions are emblematic of the Wild West that surrounds naloxone being sold and dispensed to many millions of people -- usually without a prescription, with very little training and likely even less oversight -- in many countries.

Here’s a brief snapshot of the situation.
The kits are for use if someone sees another person who is unconscious from an opioid overdose. The people who have kits today include potentially a large number of high-school students, and tens of millions of others who are given the kits via outlets such as pharmacies, local public-health groups and community-based organizations.
Naloxone is also distributed to a very large number of police officers, other first responders, and people associated with religious organizations, and substance-use-recovery facilities, school nurses, among many others. Moreover, most insurance plans in the US cover naloxone, which is also frequently co-dispensed to people taking prescription opioids.
Those same people, in turn -- the majority of whom have no medical background -- follow what they’ve been told to do and spray or inject the naloxone into virtually every unconscious people they may come across, usually after just a few seconds’ cursory assessment of them.
Anyone who administers the drug is free from liability for injury or death of the person they give it to. This is thanks to such things as a ‘standing order’ and ‘Good Samaritan drug overdose’ laws. Governments, the manufacturers, pharmacists and all other individuals, companies and organizations that are involved in the wide dissemination of naloxone are all also exempt from responsibility, as far as I can determine.
From what I've been able to glean, about 10-20% of the kits are used. And the majority of these are at safe-injection sites, where staff very frequently use the kits, to reverse overdoses of clients of the sites. The kits have expiry dates 18 to 24 months after manufacture, and therefore are restocked very frequently. (But researchers have found these expiry dates likely are "grossly exaggerated" and are much shorter than they need to be.)
It turns out to be a big and multifaceted story. And as always, it’s instructive to follow the money.
There is a
huge, lucrative and very fast-growing market for naloxone. One company is central in that market, but there are many other companies, organizations and individuals that are positioned to take a cut.
I’ve detailed my five main findings below, numbered 1 through 5.
Here’s a summary (clicking on each numbered paragraph brings you to the respective section):

1) An American company called Emergent BioSolutions dominates the sales of naloxone to governments. Emergent is continuing it's long-standing practice of using its oversized influence -- via, among other things, highly-placed lobbyists and a resolving door between powerful politicians and bureaucrats and Emergent’s executives and board members -- to make billions of dollars of sales for medical products that haven’t been objectively proven to be necessary or efficacious for protecting the public’s health.
2) Naloxone is associated with possible severe consequences such as heart attacks, strokes and death.
3) Accidental opioid-overdose death tallies likely are highly inflated. (I have four sets of supporting evidence -- 3A through 3D -- on this key point.)
4) There’s a financial incentive for pharmacists, and others, to distribute a lot of naloxone and to skirt regulatory bodies' guidelines in doing so.
5) Serious drawbacks of wide and indiscriminate naloxone dissemination occasionally come to the public’s attention – including solid evidence that it does more harm than good. However, that information quickly disappears from view under a wall of silence and/or criticism

Here is the detailed evidence supporting each of those points.
1. A very well-connected American pharma company called Emergent BioSolutions is the manufacturer of the majority of naloxone being purchased by governments across North America (and beyond) with taxpayers’ money. It does this under the name Adapt Pharma, which is wholly owned by Emergent.
Aug-26-2022-screenshot-of-Emergent-website-home-page-1024x576.png

Emergent -- likely not coincidentally -- has a long history of a revolving door between its company, its lobbyists and government. It harnesses that, together with other approaches such as aggressive tactics to sideline competitors, to obtain large numbers of very lucrative contracts for which they are often the only company asked to bid.
Emergent completely dominates government contracts for nasal-spray naloxone (under the brand name Narcan). (You can see for yourself by searching the US federal contract-award database for ‘naloxone’ and looking at the name of the company that won the contract.) Most if not all of the contracts are listed as going to Adapt Pharma – which is a wholly-owned and privately held subsidiary of Emergent. [Unfortunately, a search for ‘naloxone’ in the Canadian federal government’s ‘Open Government’ contract-award webpage yields only two results and each of those two contracts is for less than $30,000; it clearly is not nearly as comprehensive as the US database.])
And already back in January 2016 Emergent/Adapt struck a deal to supply its naloxone to 62,000 state and local-government agencies, as well as non-profit organizations. And the wording of the news release suggests this isn't the first such widespread purchasing of naloxone by public bodies.
Screenshot-of-top-paragraphs-of-Jan-2016-news-release-about-supplying-Narcan-to-thousands-of-agencies-in-US-1024x677.png

Notably, Emergent has also sold billions of dollars’ worth of an outdated anthrax vaccine to the US government over several years, in the very unlikely event of a terrorist anthrax attack. (The doses of vaccine are not used, expire after a short period and are replaced with new doses.)
There are several articles detailing the tight bonds between Emergent and key government decision-makers that resulted in these large anthrax-vaccine purchases. Those include this May 2020 Washington Post article (titled, ‘Before [the] pandemic, Trump’s stockpile chief put the focus on biodefense. An old client benefited’), this June 2020 Washington Post article (titled, ‘Before the pandemic, top contractor received billions from government to help prepare the nation for biowarfare) and this March 2021 New York Times article (titled ‘A Who’s Who of revolving-door influence at Emergent BioSolutions’). (Sorry for the paywalls; I’d post the articles on my website but it’s against the law.)
And as a notable and timely subpoint: Emergent has made billions of doses of Covid vaccines for Johnson & Johnson and AstraZeneca at Emergent's Baltimore manufacturing plant. Yet it was revealed in May of this year that because of significant quality-control issues at the plant (which Emergent tried to hide for many months), the ingredients for 400 million doses had to be discarded. See for example this May 2022 ABC News article. And there’s more: in early August 2022 it was revealed that another approximately 135 million doses of the Johnson & Johnson Covid shot have to be destroyed, also because of quality-control problems. See for example this CBS News Baltimore piece. As a result, the company temporarily halted manufacture of J&J shots; then it announced on July 29, 2022, that it will restart production. (Emergent apparently also maintains it should be paid by J&J for every dose, whether it had to be discarded or not.)
I also found that this pattern is continuing with respect to naloxone/Narcan.
In the US, for example, employees of the top-tier Washington, D.C., lobbying firm Alpine Group Partners have been working on Emergent’s behalf in D.C. for a few years. (Type ‘naloxone’ into the search box at the top of the US federal-government lobbying database home page to see this). Some of the legislation they’ve been pushing includes the ‘Support, Treatment, And Overdose Prevention [STOP] Fentanyl Act of 2021,’ the ‘Preventing Overdoses and Saving Lives Act of 2021’ and the ‘Restoring Hope for Mental Health and Well-Being Act of 2022.’
In Canada most of Emergent’s lobbyists work for Counsel Public Affairs. You can see for yourself by searching for ‘naloxone’ in the Canadian federal lobbyist registry, or look at this search result for ‘naloxone’ in the B.C. lobbyist registry.
Among Emergent’s many well-connected lobbyists is Seamus Murphy, a partner and federal practice lead in Counsel Public Affairs. He’s the most frequent federal lobbyist for Emergent/Adapt, starting in 2017. As shown in this Ottawa Citizen article on the very close ties between lobbyists and the federal Liberal government, Murphy is married to Leslie Church. Church is chief of staff to Deputy Prime Minister and Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland.
Another is Jean-Marc Prevost, Counsel’s Vice President, Western Canada, and a former CTV Winnipeg journalist. The most recent government position Prevost held, immediately before joining Counsel in May 2021, was head British Columbia Health’s communications team under the B.C. Liberal government. Yet another is Brad Lavigne, a Counsel partner and vice president, Western Canada, and long-time heavy-hitter in the NDP.

2. People who are administered naloxone have been reported to sometimes have severe consequences such as heart attacks, strokes and death.
Thanks no doubt in large part to Emergent’s influence, a huge number of people in very powerful positions are amplifying the message that more naloxone needs to be disseminated. These powerful officials give less weight to measures to stop the overdoses from happening in the first place rather than to relying on naloxone after someone has already overdosed. And they also assert that any potential risks are outweighed by the drug’s ability to quickly reverse a possibly fatal overdose.
The same occurs at every level -- including the vast majority of medical studies on naloxone being skewed to promote rather than objectively examine the widespread dissemination of the medication.
(I contacted Emergent media relations in the U.S. with some questions for this article about the cost and adverse events associated with Narcan. Assal Hellmer, Emergent’s Senior Director of Business Communications, Global Communications and Public Affairs, got back to me by asking what outlet I’m writing the story for and what my deadline is. I responded, but haven’t heard from her since.)
The World Health Organization appears to believe the same thing; since at least 2002 it has deemed naloxone an ‘essential medicine.’ These are drugs that are “the most efficacious, safe and cost-effective medicines for priority conditions.”
Yet Emergent’s Canadian product monograph for Narcan itself states that some people have had serious adverse events after receiving the drug. [I couldn’t find a full Narcan product monograph from any other country.]
These include heart attacks, seizures, coma and death.
The Canadian product monograph, which of course is written by Adapt/Emergent, goes on to imply there’s no solid proof naloxone is at fault. For example, it says that, in the case of such events in people who’ve had recent surgery, “pre-existing cardiovascular disorders and/other other drugs may have contributed to the adverse effects. A direct relationship to naloxone has not been established.” And for people who’ve had convulsions or seizures after receiving naloxone, it states, “the relationship between naloxone and convulsion or seizure is unclear.”
Other adverse people have experienced after being given naloxone, according to the product monograph, include racing heart beat (tachycardia), life-threatening abnormal heart rhythm (ventricular fibrillation) and brain damage/brain dysfunction (encephalopathy).
The product monograph also states, among other things, that “There are no adequate and well-controlled studies in pregnant women... [N]aloxone should be used during pregnancy only if clearly needed.” [Bolding added by me.]
This section of the product monograph further notes that, “It is not known whether [the drug] is excreted in human milk” from breast-feeding women who have been given the drug. The narcannasalspray.ca website states -- in the Frequently Asked Questions section, under the question, ‘Can Narcan Nasal Spray be used in pregnant women?’ -- that Narcan may cause preterm labour or be life-threatening to the fetus. [Bolding added by me.]
And what about the interaction of naloxone with other drugs, herbs or food?
Such interactions “have not been established,” the document intones. It’s not clear whether that means any and all potentially negative interactions have not been investigated or that there’s no solid proof that any exist.

I reached out to Health Canada media relations to ask some questions about these serious adverse events. Andrea Richer responded. She defended the product in her emailed response, using similar language to the Adapt/Emergent product monograph.
Richer wrote, in part:
“While cardiovascular side effects can be serious, the NARCAN product monograph also indicates that these adverse events may be confounded by the effects of other drugs, pre-existing cardiovascular disorders, or related post-operative issues, and that a direct relationship between these adverse events and naloxone has not been established.”

3. Accidental opioid-overdose death tallies likely are highly inflated
Dirk Huyer has been the chief coroner for Ontario, the most populous province in Canada, since 2014. And in that role, he’s the most influential coroner in Canada -- including when it comes to touting the rising tally of opioid-overdose deaths.
For example, last week he apparently showed one journalist, Liam Casey of the Canadian Press, preliminary data on the tally of opioid-overdose deaths in Ontario between April 2021 to March 2022. (There is no news release about the data from the Ministry of the Solicitor General, the department the chief coroner is part of.) Casey’s article on the data was reposted by most major Canadian news outlets, from the CBC to CP24, and from the Le Devoir to the Vancouver Sun.
Huyer reportedly told Casey there were 2,790 such deaths in that period. This number is a little higher, according to Huyer, than the 2,727 opioid-related deaths in the April 2020 to March 2021 period, but much higher than between April 2019 and March 2020.
“It’s ongoing and it’s bad and it got heck of a lot worse during the pandemic,” Huyer was quoted by Casey as saying about these new opioid-overdose-death numbers.
“Should we be celebrating the fact that we’ve gone down 10 per cent [compared to the April 2020 to March 2021 period]?” continues Huyer's quote in the article. “No. We still have a lot of people dying, but, yes, we’re not continuing to go up, so that is good.”
But is Huyer giving a true picture of the tally of opioid-overdose deaths, the lion’s share of which he and other officials deem to have been accidental? And is there any solid indication that tallies given by officials from other jurisdictions are any more accurate?
Here are my four reasons for believing the answer to these questions is a resounding ‘No’:
3A.
I’ve written several articles uncovering misdeeds on Huyer’s part – for example, his role in making it much harder to determine the true causes of deaths of people in long-term-care homes, and in stonewalling inquiries into other deaths despite years of pleas from the loved ones of the deceased individuals. My articles are here, here, here and here. (A Toronto Star columnist mentioned my journalism about Huyer in her May 2020 article pointing to some questions about him.)
Other journalists have also written about problems surrounding Huyer and his colleague Michael Pollanen, who is Ontario’s chief forensic pathologist. These journalists document that the pair closed the forensic-pathology centre in Hamilton, Ontario, likely in retribution for some of the main pathologists at that Hamilton centre complaining to the province’s coroners’ governing body about Huyer and Pollanen interfering in their death investigations.
Ontario’s auditor general’s team also investigated the province’s Office of the Chief Coroner and Ontario Forensic Pathology Service. She released the results in a section of her 2019 annual report.
There are many remarkable and alarming findings. For example, the second page of the section of that annual report on the Office states:
“Overall, our audit found that the Office does not have effective processes to demonstrate that its coroners and pathologists consistently conduct high-quality death investigations, and does not sufficiently analyze data or follow up on the implementation of its recommendations to improve public safety to help prevent further deaths.

3B. Tallies of the total number of people who died of a particular cause come from the collation of data in thousands or millions of medical certificates of death. Yet it’s well-known in the medical community that there are very high rates of errors and inaccuracy in individual death certificates and even higher rates in the collated data. As just four examples, read this paper, this paper, this one and this one.
Those papers, among many others, also suggest that officials must have long know about the scope of the problems but have done very little to rectify the situation.
Nor do the officials admit, when trumpeting statistics such as the opioid-overdose tallies, that they are not reliable.

3C. In death certificates of people who had opioids in their bodies when they passed away, the opioids are only allowed to be slotted into six categories in the information entered in the people’s death certificates.
That results -- thanks also to the current political/media emphasis on fentanyl overdose deaths -- in certain types of opioids, primarily fentanyl, being significantly over-represented in death certificates and other drugs being under-represented. (Naloxone only reverses overdoses of opioids, not of other substances such as benzodiazepines and alcohol.)
The overall categorization of causes of death is brought to us by the World Health Organization (WHO) and is formally known as International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems (shortened as ICD) codes.
Of the mere six ICD codes that cover opioids, the first (T40.0) is for opium alone. The second (T40.1) is for heroin alone. The third (T40.2) covers ‘other natural and semisynthetic opioids, including morphine, codeine, oxycodone, hydrocodone, hydromorphone, and oxymorphone.’ The fourth (T40.3) is for methadone.
The fifth (T40.4) covers a number of different ‘synthetic’ opioids – that is, ones that are 'illicitly manufactured.' These include fentanyl, along with several others such as buprenorphine and tramadol.
(The final code (T40.6) is ‘other and unspecified narcotics.’)
(Note that the newest version of the ICD codes list, ICD-11, released in February 2022, and perhaps not yet widely in use, does to my layperson’s eye appear to perhaps rectify a bit of this. There is, for example, a specific code for ‘fentanyl overdose undetermined intent’ (code PH40) and another for ‘intoxication due to multiple specified psychoactive substances (6C4F.3). You can see this by going to the ICD-11 Coding Tool website, typing ‘fentanyl’ into the search bar at the top and pressing the ‘Enter’ key on your keyboard.)
A paper published in 2021 documented this (linked also to in point 3B above - it's the third paper in the sentence with four papers hyperlinked to in a row). Among other conclusions in this important paper, the authors wrote that:
“In drug overdose death cases, significant epidemiologic information is lost when each drug mentioned in the death certificate finds its way into a specific ICD T-code category. Presumably, this enables CDC [US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention] officials to be able to state a percentage of drug overdose deaths each year in which, for example, T40.2 or T42.4 drugs were involved. However, aggregating data like this obscures not only the prevalence of specific drugs in causing overdose deaths, but also ignores entirely the real cause of most fatal overdoses, namely, the additive or toxic interactive effects of polysubstance abuse.” [Bolding added by me.]

3D. And the obfuscation goes even further. The current Ontario handbook for physicians and coroners on medical certification of death is the only detailed death-certification guide I could find for medical professionals in Canada, the US or elsewhere. The Ontario handbook states:
Under current WHO coding rules, deaths due to an external cause that are unspecified as to whether accident, suicide, homicide or of undetermined intent (e.g., the [relevant] section was not completed) are classified as accident until further information is provided.” (Underlining in the original; bolding added by me.)
This appears to be true. I found a website on instructions for ICD-10 coding in the US, including this webpage on codes for deaths involving drugs such as opioids and chemicals. The webpage states, in the subsection on poisoning: “If the intent of the poisoning is unknown or unspecified, code the intent as accidental intent. The undetermined intent is only for use if the documentation in the record specifies that the intent cannot be determined.”
There are other strong indications that coroners – and all the more so the chief coroner -- are allowed to have a heavy hand in determining what's appropriate to include in death certificates. However, I don’t have room to include them all in this article.
One of the overall results is that virtually all deaths in which an opioid was found in the deceased’s person’s body are categorized as accidents.
But why aren’t deaths of undetermined/uncertain cause simply categorized as such, rather than all of them being automatically put into the ‘accident’ category?
And isn’t it highly plausible that many of the people who are counted as having died accidentally (or as undetermined) from an opioid overdose in fact deliberately killed themselves?
That seems particularly likely to be the case over the last two years when many of us had suicidal thoughts in that dark period of lockdowns, job losses, economic hardship and severe restrictions on our freedoms. But that’s not something governments are eager to admit.

Not to mention that homicides via opioids can be difficult to detect.
Additionally, the rush and frequently not-thorough manner in which death certificates are frequently filled in -- including rarely waiting for ‘further information’ to come in before they’re completed -- as documented in the papers on inaccuracies in death certificates, may well keep the true causes of many deaths from coming to light.

4. There’s a financial incentive for pharmacists, and others, to distribute a lot of naloxone and to perhaps in some cases to skirt the rules in doing so.
Pharmacists in many jurisdictions are reimbursed by the government for the cost of each naloxone kit including a mark-up, and also receive a fee for training people and for dispensing the kits to them. That can add up pretty quickly.
For example, reading this March 2018 Ontario provincial government document on reimbursement to pharmacists for naloxone kits is revealing.
It states that pharmacists are reimbursed $10 for the dispensing fee for one or two nasal-spray kits per customer, plus $110 for the drug cost plus a mark-up.
The total reimbursement for injectable naloxone kits is $70 – that is, $35 for the kit, a $10 dispensing fee and $25 training fee.
Furthermore, as far as i could determine, there doesn’t appear to be any frequently used mechanism for governments or regulatory bodies to verify how many naloxone kits are sold at any given pharmacy, whether the intranasal or intramuscular form was dispensed – if either -- and whether the required training was given.
Therefore it’s not surprising that Newman isn’t the only person in Ontario who’s been skirting the rules for dispensing naloxone. A search on the Ontario College of Pharmacists’ website shows there have been others (Robert Awad, Anna Johannesson and Kinfe Blad). This is certain also to be occurring in most if not all other jurisdictions.
Also community organizations and some of the other tens of thousands of groups and government departments that distribute naloxone kits may well have similar problematic people among them.

5. Drawbacks of widespread naloxone dissemination -- including solid evidence that broad and indiscriminate access to naloxone does more harm than good -- occasionally come to the general public’s attention. However, that information quickly disappears from view under a wall of silence and/or criticism and denial.
One person pointing to potential drawback was Kelvin Goertzen. This was in a news article from May 2017, when he was Manitoba’s Minister of Health (Goertzen later became premier of the province).
He expressed concern after hearing that people were using naloxone immediately after taking opioids, in order to keep getting high time and again without risking an overdose.
Goertzen is quoted in that 2017 article as saying the expansion of access to naloxone under his watch had “been helpful in some ways, but I also don’t want to send the message that naloxone is any way a cure-all because it’s not. Nor should it be relied on in feeding an addiction.” [Bolding added by me.]
(I found other reports of this misuse of naloxone – for example this one, which was scrubbed from its original place on a media website but I found via archive.org.)
I also discovered a long and impressive research paper that investigated whether or not expanding access to naloxone to very large numbers of the general public has reduced or increased opioid abuse, opioid-related mortality and opioid-related crime. It was written by two American economics/business academics and was posted online in September 2021 (it’s also listed on the website of one of those academics, Jennifer Doleac, along with links to the extensive media coverage of it -- scroll down to see her mention of the paper and the coverage it received).
The pair found that wider naloxone access is associated with increased and/or riskier opioid use (the same concern Goertzen expressed) -- as shown by increased rates of opioid-related emergency-room visits and opioid-related theft – and with no reduction in opioid-related deaths.
The two academics were immediately and vociferously attacked for this paper – see for example this Forbes piece that includes some of that criticism. But I read the paper and found it to be largely thorough, careful and solid. And the authors were careful in how they worded their findings.
“We emphasize strongly that our findings do not imply that we should limit naloxone availability to individuals suffering from opioid addiction, or those who are at risk of overdose; naloxone has been available through prescription for a long time to these groups, and serves an important role in reducing the risk of opioid overdose deaths,” Doleac and Mukherjee conclude. “Instead, we should try to find ways to mitigate possible unintended consequences.” [Bolding added by me.]

I’ve put a lot of information together for you, the reader, to ponder. And it’s only part of the mountain of material I’ve sifted through in the last few weeks.
There may be some important some points I’ve missed or errors I’ve made, despite my best efforts. If you know of any, please let me know.
In any case, I hope this articles give you a new perspective on the frequent headlines about growing tallies of opioid-overdose deaths, and the supposed necessity of putting naloxone into the hands of tens of millions of people in North America alone

For Canadian readers, note the connections.

Interesting article Voyageur, with many moving parts as you say. It doesn’t come as a surprise that Emergent Biosolutions is connected to the opioid crisis. They have ties to the US biodefense military industrial complex with contracts for millions of dollars for vaccines for anthrax, coronavirus and smallpox. Whitney Webb wrote some articles about their numerous political and military connections:

A Killer Enterprise: How One of Big Pharma’s Most Corrupt Companies Plans to Corner the Covid-19 Cure Market

Monkeypox fears may rescue endangered corporations

Was wondering if there was a thread on UN Reports, and there was not directly per se that would suit, however Fentanyl is related (mods can move this if something else found is better).

So, went looking for global fentanyl deaths and ended up with this report that brings in opioids, and whatever else they wanted to track or sell. The report is from June 2022 called EXECUTIVE SUMMARY POLICY IMPLICATIONS - World Drug Report (2022), with fancy charts and conclusions (some fabricated statistics with probably some realistic ones). The theme, of course, is drug use, harm and deaths, and it wheels off by discussing covid-19; which the mRNA jabs were not being presented as a link to global adverse health and death, because its not about those drugs, no.

Here is how it roles out (you can't just make some of this up):

Drugs can kill.

The opening line.

Then, climate is engaged:

This is the first World Drug Report of the post-pandemic world. While countries continue to grapple with COVID-19 and its consequences, we have emerged from cycles of lockdowns to confront a “new normal”. And we have found that the world post-pandemic remains one in crisis, faced with multiple conflicts, a continuing climate emergency and threat of recession, even as the multilateral order is showing troubling signs of strain and fatigue.

Skip pages to, more or les,s index points:

Care in crises and conflicts:
» Ensure access to the controlled medicines included in the WHO Model List of Essential Medicines as part of humanitarian response efforts.
» Guarantee continuity of evidence-based care, treatment and services for drug use disorders, HIV/AIDS, hepatitis and related infectious diseases.
» Prevent negative coping behaviours such as substance use, especially among children and youth, through family skills support and psychosocial support.

Leave no one behind:
» Improve the collection and analysis of data, disaggregated by gender and age, to strengthen early warning and evidence-based responses.
» Tailor interventions to women, youth and at-risk groups and close treatment gaps so that everyone can access the services they need without stigma or discrimination, in line with the UNODC/WHO International Standards for the Treatment of Drug Use Disorders.
» Mobilize all sectors and industries, including health, justice, social welfare, education, media and entertainment, for a whole-of-society-approach to strengthen evidence-based prevention, building on the UNODC/WHO International Standards on Drug Use Prevention.
Cooperate to contain criminal markets:
» Step up cross-border law enforcement and criminal justice cooperation and intelligence-sharing to disrupt transnational trafficking enterprises.
» Target increasing drug trafficking via waterways by strengthening container control and interdiction capacities at ports and sensitizing port authorities and commercial shipping companies to the related risks.
» Increase technical assistance to developing countries to facilitate their engagement in international cooperation and joint operations, including to tackle drug trafficking on the dark web.

These points get further explained in the report, often with directions read between the lines.

The first infographic used took around .5 of second to raise eyebrows ("in" 2019) (note the coffin):

1669190735001.png

One can see the front runner is still in the global crosshairs through time, even though there is no death certificates that could ever verify. However, they had to make that point stick.

Moving along, the markets for cocaine are highlighted, then it was off to "DISTRIBUTION OF USERS OF SELECTED DRUGS BY SEX," followed by "YOUNG PEOPLE CONTINUE TO USE MORE DRUGS THAN ADULTS" - not to hard to guess.

Following, was another infographic of note (DIFFERENT MEASURES OF HARM):

Smoking was dropped off the list with Pot a close second to Opioids for most harm. Other pages see sections on monitoring the legal cannabis steps for the global market for those that develop/legalize them (with points).

1669190769536.png

Then it is "CONFLICT CAN BECOME A MAGNET FOR THE ILLICIT MANUFACTURE OF SYNTHETIC DRUGS" or one might say areas of poverty, too. However, yes, this has been seen in the Middle East conflicts. Moreover, in shipping synthetic drugs to hotspots (think Syria and Libya prior etc.).

Followed by 🥁 roll, the Carbon footprints of drug production:

1669190791170.png

Will add the C02 points of their line of potential force:

» Mainstream the objective of “do no harm to the environment” in drug policy responses.
» Develop new, dedicated international standards to systematically integrate environmental protection into the design and monitoring of alternative development programmes, building on recent experience and existing tools.
» Bring the environmental impact of the illicit cultivation of plant-based drugs into the broader debate about alternative development and agricultural production to balance environmental concerns with commercial, production-related objectives.
» Consider specific complementary strategies that can be adopted in alternative development programmes, such as carbon credit schemes, payment for environmental services and agroecology to strengthen their environmental components while bringing financial benefits.
» Adopt legal frameworks that encompass the environmentally responsible disposal of equipment and chemicals used in the illicit manufacture of drugs, and enhance the capacity of authorities to safely handle and dispose of such materials, and to destroy seized drugs.
» Undertake targeted research to better understand the extent and dynamics of the links between drug trafficking and deforestation, and the longer-term effects of drugs on biodiversity and on the food chain.

Concerning deforestation (last point), and as an aside however juxtaposed:

It is not just to keep warm, although a growing factor as energy slumps and prices rise, there is simply a lot of money to be made for industry and governments in stumpage, and they know it.

Continuing, the UN report gets into "SYNTHESIS OF DRUGS AND GENERATION OF WASTE" followed by some global maps of continent/country specific hot spots:

1669190814847.png

1669190837363.png

Followed by "DRUG-BY-DRUG DEVELOPMENTS IN BRIEF" and "REGION-BY-REGION DEVELOPMENTS" with tables on "Demand - Supply - Key issues" related to products. Page 29 and 30 if one wants to look.

This is in closing (more than half the report) to "FINDINGS AND CONCLUSIONS & POLICY IMPLICATIONS" - graph example here:

1669190866249.png

And trends (skipped Gender):

1669190880481.png

There is a section on 'Insights' that further looks to "IMPACT OF CANNABIS LEGALIZATION."

There was more on the initial points (Carbon et cetera) with one discussion titled:

"CHANGES IN OPIUM PRODUCTION IN AFGHANISTAN WILL HAVE IMPLICATIONS FOR OPIATE MARKETS IN VIRTUALLY ALL REGIONS OF THE WORLD"

With the infographic:

1669190908565.png

There are a number of paragraphs that look to Dynamics of all this, and one can see where this is going.

Next, Methamphetamines are up. Captagon is up (discussed below and it may not be exactly accurate distribution-wise, although Lebanon is a hub):

1669190926534.png

The report briefly gets into the Dark Web, which is a rabbit hole on its own. Example:

Research shows a marked increase in people reporting purchasing drugs on the dark web over the period from January 2014 to January 2021 followed by a decline until January 2022, likely because some darknet markets were dismantled by the authorities or underwent exit scams, while alternative platforms, such as social media and encrypted messenger services, may have also played a role.

Polling the dark web? Right.

Skipped a couple of repeat sections, and here is one on the breakdown of 'Users' (industry might say potential markets):

1669191009674.png

The below is shocking, but not really (articles have been written). And using North America countered by Africa is probably not really a good statistical marker, although even to the EU there is some reality to it:

1669190987892.png

There are a few more points, graphics and a glossary, and that is the report.

Attachments

• 1669190960781.png
    1669190960781.png
    60.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 1669190942938.png
    1669190942938.png
    47.2 KB · Views: 1
Fentanyl Flow to the United States
January 2020 / Four pages Opening Snip:
UNCLASSIFIED2DEA Intelligence Report
Executive Summary
The flow of fentanyl into the United States in 2019 is more diverse compared to the start of the fentanyl
crisis in 2014, with new source countries and new transit countries emerging as significant trafficking
nodes. This is exacerbating the already multi-faceted fentanyl crisis by introducing additional source
countries into the global supply chain of fentanyl, fentanyl-related substances, and fentanyl precursors.
Further, this complicates law enforcement operations and policy efforts to stem the flow of fentanyl into the
United States. While Mexico and China are the primary source countries for fentanyl and fentanyl-related
substances trafficked directly into the United States, India is emerging as a source for finished fentanyl
powder and fentanyl precursor chemicals.

Screenshot 2022-12-14 at 17-39-27 DEA_GOV_DIR-008-20 Fentanyl Flow in the United States_0.pdf.png

Screenshot 2022-12-14 at 17-29-07 Kevin Sieff on Twitter.png

Fentanyl Flow to the United States
January 2020 / Four pages Opening Snip:
UNCLASSIFIED2DEA Intelligence Report
Executive Summary

Noted the attached to your post (SF's attempt at Harm Reduction while looking at Vancouver):

Vancouver is well ignored by mainstream news - oh, they acknowledge a problem, sort of, but never the failed policies:

From the producer of Vancouver is Dying documentary, here is a further discussion:

Snip:
“Canada has seen significantly elevated numbers of opioid-related deaths and other harms since surveillance began in 2016,” the Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) wrote on its Health Infobase site last month. “The public health crisis is having a tragic impact on people who use substances, their families and communities across the country, and is shaped by a wide range of factors.”

There have been 32,632 opioid deaths in Canada between January 2016 and June 2022. During the beginning of the tally, there were 8 deaths a day. Now it’s on average 20 deaths per day.

The other thing that’s grown is the number of injection sites. Vancouver’s Insite facility was for years the only one in the country, but now every major city has them.

While correlation doesn’t equal causation, the opioid crisis has worsened as more sites open and the government offers more of what they call a safe supply of drugs.

But there is hope that fresh sets of eyes are now coming to the issue, willing to reassess some of the rigid talking points about harm reduction.

In SF, it sounds like the BC policies may be reproduced, while one can only image what harm will escalate, not reduce.

The theme, of course, is drug use, harm and deaths, and it wheels off by discussing covid-19; which the mRNA jabs were not being presented as a link to global adverse health and death, because its not about those drugs, no.
Thank you Voyageur for that amazing compilation. All is shocking but the take-away, for me anyway, was the figure ( excluding Covid and Jabs) of 345 million taking drugs worldwide. This seems a conservative figure when we get to these amounts. The pain and agony created by this amount of humans added to the horrors of life on this planet begins to sink in of the stresses we are all putting into the Planet itself.

The fact we are still here amazes me.

In Canada, the head Health honcho had this to say:

However, in other news, they thought it was a good idea to invoke the catch-and-release program, again:

Juxtaposed, the Health czar likes the climate change and capitalism model (with a pinch of white supremacy thrown in) of why there is negative heath (no word about her covid and vaccine policies of yesterday). The people on the street however know different, they can read how 22 kg. of fentanyl could kill millions of Canadians, and justice let them walk, for now.

Huston, we have a pathocratic problem.

Maybe some of states started “Zombie Apocalypse?

Democrat-run metro cities overrun with ZOMBIE DRUG “TRANQ” that’s cooked down into powder form and mixed with heroin and fentanyl – eats human flesh​

Sunday, May 21, 2023 by: S.D. Wells

(Natural News) Just take a stroll down any metropolitan street in San Francisco, Los Angeles, Chicago, Portland, or New York City, and you will feel like you just stepped onto the movie set of “World War Z.” There are actual zombies roaming the streets, sleeping standing up, and moaning from the flesh-eating disorder they have from taking a pet tranquilizer that eats human flesh (they thought they were just smoking fentanyl and crack). The zombie drug “tranq dope,” also known by veterinarians as xylazine, is now frequently used by drug dealers to “cut” other drugs (spread them out so they make more money), while further complicating the drug addiction nightmare for users.

Zombie drug tranq infiltrating heroin, fentanyl, counterfeit prescription pills, and sedatives

Just as one may have thought the illicit drug supply couldn’t get any more dangerous and deadly, it did. Many drug dealers use baby laxatives to cut cocaine and crack so they can make it look like there’s more to buy and use, and double or triple their profits. The side effects for drug users boiled down to a bad case of the runs, and then whatever else happens to the heart, brain, and cleansing organs from the continued drug use.

Now there is xylazine, a drug used by veterinarians and fellow surgeons for anesthesia, sedation, muscle relaxation, and analgesia. Doesn’t sound so bad for drug addicts, but the drug wasn’t made for humans, but mainly cattle, horses, and other mammals. Turns out, it’s too dangerous to use on humans because it causes dangerously low blood pressure, critically low heart rates, and wait for it… a disorder that eats away at the flesh.

Also, because xylazine is a non-opioid sedative, it’s also not a “controlled substance” in the USA, and NARCAN does not work as an anecdote to save people from overdosing, like it can with heroin or fentanyl. Xylazine cannot be purchased without a veterinary license, so how are so many drug dealers getting a hold of it to use to cut street drugs?

DEA puts out safety alert about “widespread threat” of fentanyl cut with xylazine in 1/4th of all fentanyl powder sold in America‘s socialist cities

The DEA is warning of a “widespread threat” of fentanyl cut with xylazine, the “zombie drug” that is stolen from veterinary clinics and mixed with other street drugs. Xylazine is ultra-deadly and can eat away at human flesh when consumed or smoked. Also, the fentanyl anecdote NARCAN does not work to save people from xylazine overdose.

About one-fourth of all fentanyl powders sold on the streets is now laced/mixed with the zombie drug, warns the DEA.

Xylazine causes CNS depression, respiratory depression, heart rate slow down, and death. This veterinarian drug for putting animals under for surgery is being taken in pills and smoked by druggies in Democrat-run metropolitan cities and it’s eating their flesh. Drug dealers are mixing this with fentanyl and people don’t know, and NARCAN won’t save them from this. It’s like a real-life scene from the Walking Dead show. Will these zombies still be able to vote for Biden in 2024, for more free money and new crack pipes for smoking Tranq?

Tranq gives it’s users leper-looking sores and can result in amputation of limbs. When combined with fentanyl the chances of death skyrocket from just one use. Many druggies die the first try, and most don’t even know they’re getting xylazine at all. The Democrats in DC like this, because it’s part of the depopulation program, along with Covid vaccines and open borders.
Sources for this article include:
TheGatewayPundit.com
NaturalNews.com

A San Francisco legislator is asking City Hall to review how officials ensure suspected fentanyl dealers cannot afford a lawyer — and are therefore entitled to taxpayer-funded public defenders — after a Chronicle investigation reported some are reaping hundreds of thousands of dollars a year.

Supervisor Matt Dorsey on Tuesday asked the Board of Supervisors’ Budget & Legislative Analyst to report back on the steps that the city’s justice systems take to conclude that criminal defendants are eligible for legal counsel from the Public Defender’s Office.

Dorsey said he was motivated by The Chronicle’s investigation published at sfchronicle.com this week on the role of Honduran migrants in the city’s drug trade and open-air fentanyl markets. The Chronicle reported Monday that while some current and former dealers have struggled to make a living selling drugs on San Francisco streets, others have said they could make $350,000 per year or more. San Francisco’s City Charter states that public defenders shall be made available at the request of people accused of crimes who are “financially unable to employ counsel” or by court order.

“I want to make sure we are doing our due diligence to scrutinize the eligibility of defendants who may be shielding considerable assets,” Dorsey said in a text message to The Chronicle.

The Public Defender’s Office said in a statement that Dorsey’s letter was “a waste of taxpayer resources, and an insult to the due process legal protections laid out in the U.S. Constitution.”

“Many of the people we represent, including those accused of drug possession and sales, are homeless or living in (single room occupancy hotels) or grouped in squalid living conditions,” the statement read. “The insinuation that immigrants trapped in the exploitative street-level trade are actually making that much money is untrue, and merely serves to fan the flames of racism and xenophobia.”

Most drugs smuggled into the country are brought by U.S. citizens, the defender’s office said, calling Dorsey’s letter and The Chronicle’s reporting “biased, misleading, and under-informed.”

In his letter to the budget analyst, Dorsey said he would also “welcome a comparative analysis of parallel practices by the judiciaries and criminal justice systems of California’s counties, together with ideas for potential reforms San Francisco policymakers should consider to bring heightened scrutiny to better establish whether actors in lucrative criminal enterprises should be afforded free legal services.”

Dorsey further asked the budget analyst to report back on the expenses and caseloads of the Public Defender’s Office for cases that involved defending people accused of selling or transporting illegal drugs over the past four fiscal years.
He said he would also like to see a breakdown for cases that involved fentanyl if possible.

Reach J.D. Morris: jd.morris@sfchronicle.com; Twitter: @thejdmorris

Vegetable protein with fentanyl for the most sporty was confiscated, with 600,000 pills inside the boats in Culiacán, Sinaloa

Fentanyl-Related Teen Deaths Triple in Three Years​

Story at a glance:
  • 84% of all teen overdose deaths in 2021 were related to fentanyl
  • Fentanyl-related adolescent overdose deaths nearly tripled between 2019 and 2021, and a quarter of those deaths involved counterfeit drugs — pills like valium, Xanax or Percocet, often obtained from friends or bought through social media
  • Fentanyl is an incredibly potent synthetic opioid. It’s 50 times stronger than heroin and 100 times stronger than morphine. Just 2 milligrams, equal to 10 to 15 grains of table salt, can be lethal
  • Having the right tools, such as fentanyl test strips and Narcan (naloxone) in your home or school medical kit can also save lives. Never buy fentanyl tests from friends or online. Always get them from your local health department or a trusted community organization, such as addiction recovery programs, as counterfeit tests are in circulation. Also make sure they’re legal to obtain in your state
  • Drug makers are now working on anti-opioid vaccines, one for heroin, one for oxycodone and one for fentanyl. The fentanyl vaccine is said to work by preventing the drug from entering the brain, thus eliminating the "high" users experience, as well as the risk of respiratory depression. The other vaccines work on the same premise

Attachments

• fentanyl-related-adolescent-deaths-pdf.pdf
    244.5 KB · Views: 2
Having the right tools, such as fentanyl test strips and Narcan (naloxone) in your home or school medical kit can also save lives. Never buy fentanyl tests from friends or online. Always get them from your local health department or a trusted community organization, such as addiction recovery programs, as counterfeit tests are in circulation. Also make sure they’re legal to obtain in your state
See that the 'Story at a glance' is by Mercola, and he does not leave them up long. Here is te link via Global Research:

Mercola has written some good articles on the subject. As for naloxone, here is a another look at it by Rosemary Frei, which seems like a tricky subject on its own (think posted previously):

Back
Top Bottom