FedEx and UPS in Europe especially France

Laura

Administrator
Administrator
FOTCM Member
Bottom line is: do NOT use FedEx or UPS to ship ANYTHING to Europe, especially France. They have some kind of deal with the Tax People and they collect 30% of the declared value of the item - in EUROS, EVEN IF IT IS A GIFT, plus a 12Euro delivery charge.

I just refused a package of Christmas gifts from my daughter that came for the entire family. The declared value was 400USD, and FedEx wanted 132 EURO to release it to me. Needless to say, I did not pay the bandits.

Bandits, indeed! Is this tax avoided if items are sent by US Postal Service or DHL?

Lilou said:
Bandits, indeed! Is this tax avoided if items are sent by US Postal Service or DHL?

If the items are gifts or of no significant value as listed on the customs ticket, no tax is collected by the post office.

I got hit with that once, but it was new clothes I had mail ordered. I was thinking it was customs tax. So that is like a surcharge on all packages they deliver? How can corporations so unfailingly find ways to annoy and harass the average person? (rhetorical question) geez...

Patience said:
I got hit with that once, but it was new clothes I had mail ordered. I was thinking it was customs tax. So that is like a surcharge on all packages they deliver? How can corporations so unfailingly find ways to annoy and harass the average person? (rhetorical question) geez...

Greed is a great motivating factor in finding more ways to stick it to the normal humans.

FedEX and UPS are also REALLY expensive to use to ship out of the country. Prohibitively so, if you ask me. The 'release it to you' fee is absolutely criminal!

Laura said:
Bottom line is: do NOT use FedEx or UPS to ship ANYTHING to Europe, especially France. They have some kind of deal with the Tax People and they collect 30% of the declared value of the item - in EUROS, EVEN IF IT IS A GIFT, plus a 12Euro delivery charge.

I just refused a package of Christmas gifts from my daughter that came for the entire family. The declared value was 400USD, and FedEx wanted 132 EURO to release it to me. Needless to say, I did not pay the bandits.

I import goods often by UPS, Fedex and DHL, not that I choose to. It is decided by my suppliers. But one thing I learned through the years is that one should NEVER declare the value higher than 20USD, if you want a smooth passage through the Customs for goods not meant to be sold, like spare parts in my case.I think the problem was that the value was too high and this became a custom parcel. Custom clearance costs at least 100USD here, if it was not included in the freight paid by the sender. In this case it is the receiver's duty to pay for the custom clearance. Next time, if these are really gifts, I advice to declare low value of not higher than 20USDs. You do not intend to sell these, so the goods represent no commercial value. In this case, the parcel usually (9 out of 10 cases) goes through the customs without even being inspected.

Obi said:
Next time, if these are really gifts, I advice to declare low value of not higher than 20USDs. You do not intend to sell these, so the goods represent no commercial value. In this case, the parcel usually (9 out of 10 cases) goes through the customs without even being inspected.

What happens if they do decide to inspect it and find that the goods are worth more than 20USD? Would they prosecute the person shipping it for false declaration? :huh:

The items i have had sent from the states have not had any taxes levied, upon receiving them here. The average cost for delivery from the states for a 10 to 15 pound package runs around 80 to 90 U.S. dollars, and take 1 to 2 weeks. Sometimes faster and sometimes slower.

Also be advised that when receiving packages from family or friends, is to instruct them to tape all corners and all seams, really well (over tape then under tape) as the handling by the post while in transit can be a little hard and may cause the seems to separate, and dump or expose the contents. They will be will sent back to the shipper at loss to both.

Vulcan59 said:
Obi said:
Next time, if these are really gifts, I advice to declare low value of not higher than 20USDs. You do not intend to sell these, so the goods represent no commercial value. In this case, the parcel usually (9 out of 10 cases) goes through the customs without even being inspected.

What happens if they do decide to inspect it and find that the goods are worth more than 20USD? Would they prosecute the person shipping it for false declaration? :huh:

How can they determine what the goods are worth if they are "used"? That's generally arbitrary.

This rip-off by UPS, FEDEX etc. also applies to Canada.
I now insist on shipping by postal service. If the seller does
not comply = no order.

Some sellers are smart enough to declare: commercial sample,
therefore no taxes or duty to the recipient!

Laura said:
How can they determine what the goods are worth if they are "used"? That's generally arbitrary.

Well even if the goods are used, customs will estimate a value according to certain criteria and charge you for that. Usually goods up to a certain amount are tax free, but if this amount is exceeded then tax will be due on the total value, not just the value above the tax free amount.

Thee is a 25 per cent tax on books here in Denmark , but a few weeks ago on receiving "The reality of being" from Australia I ended up paying double the price of the book!!!!!!

I am awaiting "Cataclysm" now from the U.S. cant remember how they are posting it.Yes its a big rip off indeed.

Back
Top Bottom