FBI and Court TV psychic prepares for federal court

amindformurder said:
I am not a PSI proponent. The burden of proof is yours.
I only just discovered this thread, but the above quote stood out like a sore thumb for me -- it really speaks volumes about the sheer laziness of John Merrell (and other things besides).

Basically it's the same as if I believed the world to be flat, and refused to do any research of existing theories to prove otherwise, simply because I was not a proponent of the "spherical earth theory". It would be like me asserting that the "burden of proof" (i.e. work) lies with the spherical-earthers, despite the huge amount of already-existing evidence that proves the earth is indeed spherical.

The "burden of proof" idea is only valid when there is NO evidence in existence for a particular claim. So, in the spherical earth debate, if there was no evidence for the earth being spherical, I could quite rightly say that the burden of proof rests with those who believe the earth is round (but in this case, it would equally rest with me to prove the world was flat).

In the PSI debate, the burden of proof rests with no one, because the theories and evidence ALREADY EXIST. Therefore, Merrell saying that the burden of proof lies with the proponents of PSI is nothing more than a poorly veiled attempt to hide his incredible laziness.

Response from amindformurder: And finally, for those who sarcastically claimed the burden of proof was mine --- not believers in the paranormal --- I respond. On April 5, 2007 a U.S. federal court ruled in my favor in my lawsuit against Noreen Renier, the Court TV psychic regularly seen on the 'Psychic Detectives' series. Now a federal court has made a judgment between a skeptic's legal stance and those of a psychic --- over more than a year before the court and from among dozen of filed motions, statements, and counter claims. Judged in a Washington courtroom by a U.S. District judge all of Renier's counter claims were tossed out. Every counter claim. And I was awarded $39,588. Now why wouldn't a top level psychic see that coming? Why would a top level psychic file motion after motion and spend an estimated $35,000 in her own attorney fees simply to get a judgment against herself? Now for those who cite delusions, I'll wait for you to get a federal judgment against a skeptic. Ahhhh but now that the tables are turned I'm sure you'll come up with some other excuse for your misplaced beliefs. Face it, psychics don't rule. The only one to lecture before the FBI and the one with 11 episodes on 'Psychic Detectives' can't even publish a book without getting slammed in a federal court!

Your reading comprehension seems to be lacking - let me help you out a bit...

atriedes wrote:

It all seems a bit pointless. Little boys throw stones at frogs in sport, but the frogs, they die in earnest.

If people want to believe her then let them, if she helps, then good, if she hurts, eventually they will catch on. Basically all I saw is that she makes some resume fudges, and weird claims. I didn't see any claims of criminal negligence. Just because someone thinks they heal, or can talk to the dead, doesn't make them the anti-christ. With all of the evil liars out there killing hundreds of thousands every year through starvation, bombings, and executions just to line their pockets it occurs to me that some elderly medium making bold claims and touring the talk show circuit is not even a blip on the evil radar.

Personally, I would be more inclined to whup this Merrell character, talk about a waste of life, he really tries hard to pull himself out of mediocrity by shoving someone else back into it. People like him are the crabs of our society, everytime someone tries to get out of the crate, they pull you right back and try to get on top of you. I don't believe this Renier character, and more than likely, she is just pretty good at her stage act, who cares.
In short - no one cares - you're self satisfied law suits are taking up valuable time while the world burns - and I think we've indulged your ego enough for one lifetime.

Back
Top Bottom