Fat Bomb - Keto Custard Recipe and variations

Gawan said:
Gawan said:
For all fat-bomb lovers there exists some hope since without eggs fat bombs seem not be doable anymore. We experimented over the last weeks a lot and may have found a good solution, though the experiment is not over yet and about one procedure we are not entirely sure yet (step 7), but I like to describe it in the recipe description. The following recipe is just with butter since the organic lard we have taste like nuts and so we decided jut to go along with butter instead. The fat bomb is only made with cocoa and fruit would need to be tested out again and somehow cocoa is something you always can eat. And the egg replacement is sunflower lecithin.

What do you need for a huge batch? We are using the following ingredients (on concentrated over the last month already mainly only on fat):

Mixing steps:

1. Start to heat the 1.5 liter of pure water till it boils

2. put the cocoa and lecithin in one pot and jus stir it try (picture 03)

3. mix the hot water in the cocoa and lecithin mixture, stirring it constantly (either electronically or by hand till no lumps are left) (picture 04)

4. Put all the fat and xylitol in one huge pot and start to melt it slowly on lower heat (the temperature isn't too important anymore, but it shouldn't be too hot as well, because the butter can get separated especially when heating too long), stir it with a wooden spoon from time to time, that the butter doesn't get burned and the fat gets easier melted (picture 05)

5. switch of the heat of the fat and use a mixer to get all the butter melted (picture 06)

6. mix the cocoa-lecithin mix and fat together by using a hand mixer (best is if somebody could give a hand lifting the heavy pot with the cocoa and water) (picture 07)

7. the tricky part is and is not entirely perfected yet: putting the entire fat bomb mixture pot in cold water and keep on stirring with the mixer (picture 08) and it seems at a certain temperature that the fat doesn't get separated anymore. That means: wait a bit and keep on mixing it from time to time.

Fwiw some minor modifications: We are now just heating the fat and mixing all dry ingredients together (cocoa, xylitol, lecithin) and last mixing it with hot water and then with the fat.

Step seven is a mixture of temperature (below 55°C/131°F in our experience) and time before the water and fat build one fluid. And it shouldn't be mixed too long too then it gets greasy. The top layer of the fat bomb (some kind of milk skin) keeps it below fluid and creamy and storing it too long outside (i.e. taking it to work) separates it a bit more again.

The biggest drawback is that the fat bombs build within one week mold and we experimented how to stop it, maybe the lecithin causes it. Unfortunately without avail (no lids, letting it cooling down and no lids, cleaning lids with vinegar) with that the best way to store is to freeze them and put them out some time before eating, or it is some good ice cream :).

And thanks for sharing the other recipe Michael!

Dear Gawan,

I tried your recipe with some non-gmo soy lecithin I had. At step 7, I found it hard to get the mixture to emulsify. So I decided to put the whole pot in the freezer and wait for it to cool down, that maybe the lower temperature could make emulsification easier. It worked quite well, I needed to use the hand mixer to mix up the hardened butter and liquid portion together. I brought it out of the fridge, mixed it, and put it back in, and repeated until the consistency was good.

However, the end result was a bit too buttery for my taste. It makes a really good frothy cocoa when mixed with water. Maybe I can increase the amount of water and lecithin to make a less buttery fat bomb... but that would defeat the purpose of it being a fat bomb. The other alternative is to get used to the flavour, which I think is possible. Added cocoa and vanilla may help. I am guessing that due to the extremely high fat percentage, using gelatin in this recipe is a no-go?

beetlemaniac said:
Gawan said:
Gawan said:
For all fat-bomb lovers there exists some hope since without eggs fat bombs seem not be doable anymore. We experimented over the last weeks a lot and may have found a good solution, though the experiment is not over yet and about one procedure we are not entirely sure yet (step 7), but I like to describe it in the recipe description. The following recipe is just with butter since the organic lard we have taste like nuts and so we decided jut to go along with butter instead. The fat bomb is only made with cocoa and fruit would need to be tested out again and somehow cocoa is something you always can eat. And the egg replacement is sunflower lecithin.

What do you need for a huge batch? We are using the following ingredients (on concentrated over the last month already mainly only on fat):

Mixing steps:

3. mix the hot water in the cocoa and lecithin mixture, stirring it constantly (either electronically or by hand till no lumps are left) (picture 04)

4. Put all the fat and xylitol in one huge pot and start to melt it slowly on lower heat (the temperature isn't too important anymore, but it shouldn't be too hot as well, because the butter can get separated especially when heating too long), stir it with a wooden spoon from time to time, that the butter doesn't get burned and the fat gets easier melted (picture 05)

5. switch of the heat of the fat and use a mixer to get all the butter melted (picture 06)

6. mix the cocoa-lecithin mix and fat together by using a hand mixer (best is if somebody could give a hand lifting the heavy pot with the cocoa and water) (picture 07)

7. the tricky part is and is not entirely perfected yet: putting the entire fat bomb mixture pot in cold water and keep on stirring with the mixer (picture 08) and it seems at a certain temperature that the fat doesn't get separated anymore. That means: wait a bit and keep on mixing it from time to time.

Fwiw some minor modifications: We are now just heating the fat and mixing all dry ingredients together (cocoa, xylitol, lecithin) and last mixing it with hot water and then with the fat.

Step seven is a mixture of temperature (below 55°C/131°F in our experience) and time before the water and fat build one fluid. And it shouldn't be mixed too long too then it gets greasy. The top layer of the fat bomb (some kind of milk skin) keeps it below fluid and creamy and storing it too long outside (i.e. taking it to work) separates it a bit more again.

The biggest drawback is that the fat bombs build within one week mold and we experimented how to stop it, maybe the lecithin causes it. Unfortunately without avail (no lids, letting it cooling down and no lids, cleaning lids with vinegar) with that the best way to store is to freeze them and put them out some time before eating, or it is some good ice cream :).

Dear Gawan,

I tried your recipe with some non-gmo soy lecithin I had. At step 7, I found it hard to get the mixture to emulsify. So I decided to put the whole pot in the freezer and wait for it to cool down, that maybe the lower temperature could make emulsification easier. It worked quite well, I needed to use the hand mixer to mix up the hardened butter and liquid portion together. I brought it out of the fridge, mixed it, and put it back in, and repeated until the consistency was good.

However, the end result was a bit too buttery for my taste. It makes a really good frothy cocoa when mixed with water. Maybe I can increase the amount of water and lecithin to make a less buttery fat bomb... but that would defeat the purpose of it being a fat bomb. The other alternative is to get used to the flavour, which I think is possible. Added cocoa and vanilla may help. I am guessing that due to the extremely high fat percentage, using gelatin in this recipe is a no-go?

Hi beetlemaniac,

It's been some time since I don't make fat bombs but I've been making them egg free/butter free since I started and I usually have to do exactly what you did to get the mixture right (putting it all in the fridge for a while and then mixing all again when it's a bit cooler).

I also add gelatin powder. One from NOW which is pure beef gelatin powder. I use xylitol as sweeteer, and vainilla and cinnamon are useful to cover up the lard taste when it is a bit strong. So adding gelatin can be a good option for you, fwiw... :)

beetlemaniac said:
Dear Gawan,

A hand blender works really well for getting the fat bomb to emulsify at higher temperatures. I've been using liquid sunflower lecithin and a whisk, and I've noticed that the mix has to be a lot colder to get that creamy texture. Usually I'll have a big bowl of water with some ice cubes in it chilling in the freezer for a bit while I get the concoction ready. Then I'll set my bowl of fat bomb into the bowl of ice water and stir until it sets up nicely. But I've also done the in and out of the fridge/freezer method, and it works fine. Though it can be difficult to get all the stiffened clumps of fat blended in if you leave it in the cold too long.

As for the buttery taste, can you tolerate coconut cream or coconut oil? If not I don't see anything wrong with trying to add a bit more vanilla, cocoa, and water. Of course, the more water you add the more you're going to need something like gelatin to help it congeal to a nice texture. So there's nothing wrong with adding gelatin there. As for the additional water defeating the purpose, to me it just means you're making it more voluminous and not changing the carb/fat ratio. Which just means you get to eat more in one sitting to get the same amount of fat! ;)

Yas said:
Hi beetlemaniac,

It's been some time since I don't make fat bombs but I've been making them egg free/butter free since I started and I usually have to do exactly what you did to get the mixture right (putting it all in the fridge for a while and then mixing all again when it's a bit cooler).

I also add gelatin powder. One from NOW which is pure beef gelatin powder. I use xylitol as sweeteer, and vainilla and cinnamon are useful to cover up the lard taste when it is a bit strong. So adding gelatin can be a good option for you, fwiw... :)
A Jay said:
A hand blender works really well for getting the fat bomb to emulsify at higher temperatures. I've been using liquid sunflower lecithin and a whisk, and I've noticed that the mix has to be a lot colder to get that creamy texture. Usually I'll have a big bowl of water with some ice cubes in it chilling in the freezer for a bit while I get the concoction ready. Then I'll set my bowl of fat bomb into the bowl of ice water and stir until it sets up nicely. But I've also done the in and out of the fridge/freezer method, and it works fine. Though it can be difficult to get all the stiffened clumps of fat blended in if you leave it in the cold too long.

As for the buttery taste, can you tolerate coconut cream or coconut oil? If not I don't see anything wrong with trying to add a bit more vanilla, cocoa, and water. Of course, the more water you add the more you're going to need something like gelatin to help it congeal to a nice texture. So there's nothing wrong with adding gelatin there. As for the additional water defeating the purpose, to me it just means you're making it more voluminous and not changing the carb/fat ratio. Which just means you get to eat more in one sitting to get the same amount of fat! ;)
Hi A Jay and Yas, thank you for the wonderful tips. I think for my next batch, I will try with extra water / coconut milk, gelatin, vanilla and cinammon to mask the fatty flavor, and to achieve a firmer, more luscious consistency, particularly when frozen. I find that the fat bomb gets very dense and chunky after defrosting, hopefully water and gelatin could counteract that by providing a protein matrix for the fat to sit in. I'm still on the fence about whether coconut milk suits my gut, but I think a little bit should not be a problem.

I had a problem with the lard flavor when I was rendering it from raw fat. The heat I used was too high and that created a mildly unpleasant lard flavor.

Then I bought rendered lard from 2 different farms. They both resulted in no lard flavor in the custard. The custard also tasted sweeter with no change in the amount of sugar in the recipe, and I guess it is because there was no lard flavor that the sugar was masking. The lard from one farm even made the custard taste like creme brulee.

Has everyone stopped making the fat bombs with egg yolk due to sensitivity or allergy? I've been having it for lunch many times a week for 3 years, and I'm wondering if I should stop.

I have stopped making and eating them. I personally didn't feel any adverse reaction from eating them, nor any difference after I stopped, but since egg (both white and yolk) is said to be the most common allergy food so I thought better safe than sorry.

I am still making the fat bombs. I have no issues or sensitivities with eggs. I make the coconut milk version.

They really help fill me up in between meals when I'm feeling a little hungry.

I have stopped making them, and eating them at midday, as a blood test indicated a sensitivity to eggs. I have replaced them with eating a slab of butter in a cracker sandwich at midday.

Depends if you have sensitivities, hlat. I never got on well with egg white, and that showed up personally in my IGG results. For a period, we stopped eating eggs all together. But the past couple of months I have been eating egg yolks everyday with no percieved issues, purely because the yolk is without doubt one of the most highly nutritious foods on the face of the planet. If you don't have issues with them (symptomatic or on paper) then it would be a shame to stop eating them.

I'm still eating the refined version similar as posted above without eggs and the recipe got much better :) with time. I like this egg less version since it is less time consuming instead of separating the egg yolk from the white.

Gawan said:
I'm still eating the refined version similar as posted above without eggs and the recipe got much better :) with time. I like this egg less version since it is less time consuming instead of separating the egg yolk from the white.

Are you referring to this version? Can you post your recipe and directions for your current version?

I stopped using xylitol maybe last year, due to concerns that the xylitol was killing good gut bacteria. I switched from xylitol to raw sugar. Do you have any concerns about eating the xylitol?

Gawan said:
Gawan said:

Mixing steps:

hlat said:
Gawan said:

Are you referring to this version? Can you post your recipe and directions for your current version?

I stopped using xylitol maybe last year, due to concerns that the xylitol was killing good gut bacteria. I switched from xylitol to raw sugar. Do you have any concerns about eating the xylitol?

Gawan said:
Gawan said:

Mixing steps:

Yes, that's the one. I post then an update on the weekend.

Here is an updated version of the fat-bomb without the eggs:

tools:
- 3 pots (a huge one and two huger ones)
- fork
- spoon
- scale
- handmixer
- kind of a jar
- lots of glasses

(dry) Ingredients:

- 125 gr of dark cocoa (depends on the taste of course, but the butter taste needs to be covered)
- 125 gr of light cocoa
- 42 gr of sunflower lecithin
- 250 gr of xylitol or sugar
- 4 gr fine grained salt
- 10 gr pure vanilla
- a bit cinnamon
- a tip of a teaspoon of stevia

(wet) ingredients

- 1975 ml of water (heated separately)
- 14 * of 250 gr of butter (heated separately)

Steps:

1. First put together all the dry ingredients and just stir them with a fork together
2. Heat the water till it almost boils
3. Heat the butter and stir regularly that the butter doesn't get burned and till it is completely melted
4. Mix the heated water with the dry ingredients. Sometimes a fork is needed to get the sticked cocoa loose, if you want you can add some air into it with the mixer that it shows some bubbles
5. before putting everything together stir with the mixer the melted butter up that it is one mixture
6. put the mixed dry ingredients with the water into the melted butter
7. stir it with the mixer a bit slowly till it is one mixture and one emulsion (make a test and fill one glass with the finished fat bomb -> if it separates you see it within minutes, if not you are finished :) )
8. use the big jar to make it easier to fill the small glasses
9. fill the small glasses
9. let the small glasses cool down a bit about two hours and put them into the freezer

Somehow it gets first really soft and liquid after the glasses are put into the freezer and then are defrozen again. But I don't know why. Best is also not to mix too long since it can make it more rough from the consistency. There is no need anymore to cool it down or anything like the that. If the fat gets separated it is moist likely water that is needed to get one final emulsion. And I make always a huge batch and cannot guarantee for smaller batches and if the same results turns up.

I've yet to try making my fat bombs in one large pot, but it seems like a faster way to go, so I'll try it sometime. I still make each bomb in it's own container (a stainless milkshake container of about 900ml capacity), using two containers and repeat the process four times.

Here are my ingredients (per container) and method -

- Heaping half tsp measure of diatomaceous earth (added for anti parasitic quality as well as some minerals, but likely not necessary)

- Heaping half tsp of sea salt (have forgotten to add it a few times and to me tastes awful without it!)

- Rounded half tsp of ascorbic acid powder (too much can make it taste bitter)

- One level tsp of turmeric (for anti inflammatory, anticancer properties)

- One level tsp of ACV (good for digestion, but any more than this per day makes me hungry)

- Approx 2 grams of ginger powder (anti inflammatory)

- Approx 2 grams of cinnamon powder (anti inflammatory)

- 8 - 10g cocoa powder (tried it without a few times, using strawberries or vanilla bean, but prefer the cocoa)

- 2 scoops of stevia powder (the scoop looks like a tsp measure, one scoop weighs 2 grams)

- 8 - 10 grams of xylitol (or one heaped tsp. I actually think the taste is OK without the xylitol, but I bought a 20kg bag of the stuff and don't use it with anything else. When it runs out I won't buy anymore.)

- 1 large egg yolk (not needed if not tolerated and using bone broth. I add one for nutrition value)

- 50 grams of coconut cream

- 250ml or 1 cup of bone broth (broth is made in a slow cooker on low heat for 24 hours. I keep it on low while I make the bombs to keep it warm to mix. The broth emulsifies the mix even without the egg. I've made bombs using just water, but they have a "grainy" texture to them.)

- 170 grams of grass fed beef dripping

- 30 grams of coconut oil

- 50 - 70 grams of frozen strawberries (have used blueberries which are good, but use strawberries for lower carbs)

Add all the dry ingredients to the container along with the ACV, coconut cream and egg yolk (if using). Add the bone broth and mix with a stick blender (mine has 2 speeds, I use the low one). Then carefully add the melted fats (I combine the dripping and coconut oil in a heavy coffee mug and heat in a microwave on high for 3 minutes) to the container. If the fat has become too hot, it will bubble and can spit as it cools when adding to the mix, so add it slowly. I try to keep the mix hot or very warm, as it combines better. Blend the mixture again on low speed for 10 - 15 seconds until it combines. As it blends, I raise the blender about half way up the container until it "draws" everything together. Add the frozen strawberries and blend again. Pour into a large dessert bowl and freeze.

Fat content is about 225g(can vary depending on the fat content of the bone broth) and carbs about 18g, which surprised me, but I have added xylitol and spices over time which boosts the count.

For a while now I've only been eating half a bomb per day. Since doing this I have added another 20 - 30 grams of fat to the mix and will probably add a second egg yolk. This has cut the carbs in half (bone broth as well unfortunately) and seems about right for me.

The best part is only needing to make them every 16 days instead of 8 :cool:.

Back
Top Bottom