Fat Bomb - Keto Custard Recipe and variations

Don Genaro said:
Hi Goemon,

I just wanted to check that you really mean 60 drops of lemon essential oil because as I understand it, essential oils can be very potent and toxic in large doses and 60 drops sounds like a lot, even if it's for 12 fat bombs. Do you mean actual essential oil or just lemon oil? Or do you mean 6 drops? In any case, I think care should be taken when ingesting essential oils :)

Hi Don G.

Lemon essential oil for cooking is not dangerous. They are made specifically for that. However, for the standard lemon essential oil, I would not use it for cooking, neither internally.

Gandalf said:
Don Genaro said:
Hi Goemon,

I just wanted to check that you really mean 60 drops of lemon essential oil because as I understand it, essential oils can be very potent and toxic in large doses and 60 drops sounds like a lot, even if it's for 12 fat bombs. Do you mean actual essential oil or just lemon oil? Or do you mean 6 drops? In any case, I think care should be taken when ingesting essential oils :)

Hi Don G.

Lemon essential oil for cooking is not dangerous. They are made specifically for that. However, for the standard lemon essential oil, I would not use it for cooking, neither internally.

Well, it is some chemotyped essential oils. It is said on the flask to take it internaly with vegetal oil, honey or drink. I have used two brand. One says 2 to 6 drops a day, no more than three days in a row. The other one says 2 drops a day. I asked the pharmacist and she said the important was to not take more than a total of 15 drops a day (all essential oils taken together)

Keyhole said:
FWIW Goemon you can find a tutorial video on how to make a fat bomb custard here which may be of some help to you.

Yes, I did saw the video several time. I as help me to understand the process.

I have been making this every week and taking it to work -- allows me to consume enormous quantities of fat, it keeps me satiated, keeps my brain stable and happy, and tastes oh so awesome. Hands down the best way to consume fat thus far! Today I tried out two variants, one with passionfruit and another with banana. I've also tried using lime, berries, pumpkin pie spice, espresso, cocoa (of course), and durian (Google if you haven't heard of it- it's a fruit native to Malaysia). Just tasted the passionfruit one (I simply blended the flesh of two fruits together with a liter or so of the custard base), delicious!

Thank you for the recipe! I love eating fat now! :rockon:

All this while I think I have not been consuming enough fat, since I made this a routine, I have been feeling so much better and calmer. Thanks again.

Holy moly, guys... I just made my first Fat Bombs today. For my lunch, I had bone broth with a bit of home made pork pate, and then finished with a choco fat bomb. It was amazing!

All the while I was eating it, all I could think was, "this can't be real!"

Thank you so much for sharing the recipe :flowers:

Attachments

• IMG_20151015_125523198.jpg
    IMG_20151015_125523198.jpg
    943.2 KB · Views: 350
For all fat-bomb lovers there exists some hope since without eggs fat bombs seem not be doable anymore. We experimented over the last weeks a lot and may have found a good solution, though the experiment is not over yet and about one procedure we are not entirely sure yet (step 7), but I like to describe it in the recipe description. The following recipe is just with butter since the organic lard we have taste like nuts and so we decided jut to go along with butter instead. The fat bomb is only made with cocoa and fruit would need to be tested out again and somehow cocoa is something you always can eat. And the egg replacement is sunflower lecithin.

What do you need for a huge batch? We are using the following ingredients (on concentrated over the last month already mainly only on fat):

* a very huge pot for all the butter (in the end the entire mixture needs to fit in there)
* a huge pot for cocoa, lecithin and the entire water
* a whisk
* handmixer
* wooden spoon
* 14 á 250gr (0,55 pounds) butter blocks
* 1.5 liter (59 ounces of pure water
* 250 gr (0,55 pounds) Xylitol (you can use more if you like or add it later on)
* appr. 200 gr (0,44 pound) dark cocoa (depends on your taste)
* the secret 35 gr (0,077 pound) sunflower lecithin

Mixing steps:

1. Start to heat the 1.5 liter of pure water till it boils

2. put the cocoa and lecithin in one pot and jus stir it try (picture 03)

3. mix the hot water in the cocoa and lecithin mixture, stirring it constantly (either electronically or by hand till no lumps are left) (picture 04)

4. Put all the fat and xylitol in one huge pot and start to melt it slowly on lower heat (the temperature isn't too important anymore, but it shouldn't be too hot as well, because the butter can get separated especially when heating too long), stir it with a wooden spoon from time to time, that the butter doesn't get burned and the fat gets easier melted (picture 05)

5. switch of the heat of the fat and use a mixer to get all the butter melted (picture 06)

6. mix the cocoa-lecithin mix and fat together by using a hand mixer (best is if somebody could give a hand lifting the heavy pot with the cocoa and water) (picture 07)

7. the tricky part is and is not entirely perfected yet: putting the entire fat bomb mixture pot in cold water and keep on stirring with the mixer (picture 08) and it seems at a certain temperature that the fat doesn't get separated anymore. That means: wait a bit and keep on mixing it from time to time.

8. the final consistency should look like this: no separation (picture 08 and picture 09)

9. The end result (the dark spots are later added xylitol): picture 10

As I wrote the tricky part is step 7. It may that the lecithin needs some time to enclose the water or it does indeed need the cold water around.

And if something goes wrong you can drink the fat bombs by mixing it with hot water.

Attachments

• cocoa-fatbomb-02.jpg
    cocoa-fatbomb-02.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 289
  • cocoa-fatbomb-03.jpg
    cocoa-fatbomb-03.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 285
  • cocoa-fatbomb-04.jpg
    cocoa-fatbomb-04.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 284
  • cocoa-fatbomb-05.jpg
    cocoa-fatbomb-05.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 277
  • cocoa-fatbomb-06.jpg
    cocoa-fatbomb-06.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 18
  • cocoa-fatbomb-07.jpg
    cocoa-fatbomb-07.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 11
  • cocoa-fatbomb-08.jpg
    cocoa-fatbomb-08.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 14
  • cocoa-fatbomb-09.jpg
    cocoa-fatbomb-09.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 14
  • cocoa-fatbomb-10.jpg
    cocoa-fatbomb-10.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 17
I'd like to share an alternate recipe that I am currently using.

I came across this recipe which uses gelatin for binding it all together.
http://www.kristabutler.com/blog/2014/03/chocolate-gelatin-squares
chocolate+gelatin+squares.jpg

The recipe by itself produces a good jello consistency product that holds well under room temp (i.e. doesn't melt into a puddle).
I've tried replacing the coconut oil with butter as recommended by some of the commenters.
I haven't tried replacing the maple syrup/honey with xylitol yet.

On my first run, my blender was just a bit too small for the full recipe but it still turned out ok.
Half the recipe is more manageable.
And it is a "lazy recipe" because you just basically dump everything into the blender.
(well, you do have to soften the butter/coconut oil though)

Also I used standard Knox gelatin, not the organic variety.

Gawan said:
For all fat-bomb lovers there exists some hope since without eggs fat bombs seem not be doable anymore. We experimented over the last weeks a lot and may have found a good solution, though the experiment is not over yet and about one procedure we are not entirely sure yet (step 7), but I like to describe it in the recipe description.

Wow that looks really good! I gotta try a batch :D Thanks for sharing!

m said:
Gawan said:
For all fat-bomb lovers there exists some hope since without eggs fat bombs seem not be doable anymore. We experimented over the last weeks a lot and may have found a good solution, though the experiment is not over yet and about one procedure we are not entirely sure yet (step 7), but I like to describe it in the recipe description.

Wow that looks really good! I gotta try a batch :D Thanks for sharing!
Agreed! And not too many ingredients either so it's cost effective. Well done.

Michael Martin said:

The recipe by itself produces a good jello consistency product that holds well under room temp (i.e. doesn't melt into a puddle).
I've tried replacing the coconut oil with butter as recommended by some of the commenters.

On my first run, my blender was just a bit too small for the full recipe but it still turned out ok.
And it is a "lazy recipe" because you just basically dump everything into the blender.

Thank you very much for sharing this recipe Michael Martin, try day yesterday and is delicious. :bacon: :flowers:

riclapaz said:
Michael Martin said:

Thank you very much for sharing this recipe Michael Martin, try day yesterday and is delicious. :bacon: :flowers:

It looks super easy and yummy too, i'll give it a try this weekend :D thanks Michael Martin for sharing :D

Gawan said:
For all fat-bomb lovers there exists some hope since without eggs fat bombs seem not be doable anymore. We experimented over the last weeks a lot and may have found a good solution, though the experiment is not over yet and about one procedure we are not entirely sure yet (step 7), but I like to describe it in the recipe description. The following recipe is just with butter since the organic lard we have taste like nuts and so we decided jut to go along with butter instead. The fat bomb is only made with cocoa and fruit would need to be tested out again and somehow cocoa is something you always can eat. And the egg replacement is sunflower lecithin.

What do you need for a huge batch? We are using the following ingredients (on concentrated over the last month already mainly only on fat):

Mixing steps:

1. Start to heat the 1.5 liter of pure water till it boils

2. put the cocoa and lecithin in one pot and jus stir it try (picture 03)

3. mix the hot water in the cocoa and lecithin mixture, stirring it constantly (either electronically or by hand till no lumps are left) (picture 04)

4. Put all the fat and xylitol in one huge pot and start to melt it slowly on lower heat (the temperature isn't too important anymore, but it shouldn't be too hot as well, because the butter can get separated especially when heating too long), stir it with a wooden spoon from time to time, that the butter doesn't get burned and the fat gets easier melted (picture 05)

5. switch of the heat of the fat and use a mixer to get all the butter melted (picture 06)

6. mix the cocoa-lecithin mix and fat together by using a hand mixer (best is if somebody could give a hand lifting the heavy pot with the cocoa and water) (picture 07)

7. the tricky part is and is not entirely perfected yet: putting the entire fat bomb mixture pot in cold water and keep on stirring with the mixer (picture 08) and it seems at a certain temperature that the fat doesn't get separated anymore. That means: wait a bit and keep on mixing it from time to time.

Fwiw some minor modifications: We are now just heating the fat and mixing all dry ingredients together (cocoa, xylitol, lecithin) and last mixing it with hot water and then with the fat.

Step seven is a mixture of temperature (below 55°C/131°F in our experience) and time before the water and fat build one fluid. And it shouldn't be mixed too long too then it gets greasy. The top layer of the fat bomb (some kind of milk skin) keeps it below fluid and creamy and storing it too long outside (i.e. taking it to work) separates it a bit more again.

The biggest drawback is that the fat bombs build within one week mold and we experimented how to stop it, maybe the lecithin causes it. Unfortunately without avail (no lids, letting it cooling down and no lids, cleaning lids with vinegar) with that the best way to store is to freeze them and put them out some time before eating, or it is some good ice cream :).

And thanks for sharing the other recipe Michael!

It sounds like that mold knows what's good for it! :P It reminds me of how liver is fast to spoil also. Maybe that's part of how you recognize a REAL superfood: nature seeks to reclaim it quickly because of the potent nutrition? Just an oddball thought.

Maybe, after you have ruled out contamination. Emulsions are especially susceptible to contamination because it gets blended into the whole thing.

So, what if you innoculated it with something like sauerkraut juice or vinegar? Like lactofermented mayonnaise, so the initial culture prevents mold or harmful bacteria from colonizing it. It makes the mayonnaise last a lot longer.

Cultured butter may help.

Back
Top Bottom