Fat Bomb - Keto Custard Recipe and variations

truth seeker said:
SMM said:
I've a question, which may have been covered somewhere in this thread: I'm having trouble finding a vanilla extract for this recipe that doesn't contain sugar. Does anyone know of any vanilla extracts that do not contain sugar?

The previous fat bomb I made contained sugar because of the vanilla extract, which is minimal but none would have been preferred. And I really want to make a lot more :D

If I do find one, I'll let you know - keeping my eyes out. And I'll take photos of the next batch and share!
I've been considering using vanilla beans but have never tried it. It's usually more expensive than the extract, but it may be worth a try. It may even turn out that you don't need an entire bean since it's purer (undiluted).

We made fat bombs with vanilla bean and you really can`t compare it to vanilla extract. It is so divine making yum noises the whole time eating it! :D

Nancy2feathers said:
truth seeker said:
SMM said:
I've a question, which may have been covered somewhere in this thread: I'm having trouble finding a vanilla extract for this recipe that doesn't contain sugar. Does anyone know of any vanilla extracts that do not contain sugar?

The previous fat bomb I made contained sugar because of the vanilla extract, which is minimal but none would have been preferred. And I really want to make a lot more :D

If I do find one, I'll let you know - keeping my eyes out. And I'll take photos of the next batch and share!
I've been considering using vanilla beans but have never tried it. It's usually more expensive than the extract, but it may be worth a try. It may even turn out that you don't need an entire bean since it's purer (undiluted).

We made fat bombs with vanilla bean and you really can`t compare it to vanilla extract. It is so divine making yum noises the whole time eating it! :D

This was my experience as well, the flavour of even a good organic extract just doesn't compare to the bean. Unfortunately, the beans are really expensive, so I stick with a decent extract since I go through a lot. But if you get a chance to try it out at least once, DO IT! :D

A Jay said:
Unfortunately, the beans are really expensive, so I stick with a decent extract since I go through a lot. But if you get a chance to try it out at least once, DO IT! :D
When you buy them from the shop, they are very expensive. When you buy them from Ebay - the are very cheap. ;D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-Madagascan-extract-grade-vanilla-vanilla-beans-pods-/390950504968?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Food_SM&hash=item5b06774a08

Keyhole said:
A Jay said:
Unfortunately, the beans are really expensive, so I stick with a decent extract since I go through a lot. But if you get a chance to try it out at least once, DO IT! :D
When you buy them from the shop, they are very expensive. When you buy them from Ebay - the are very cheap. ;D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-Madagascan-extract-grade-vanilla-vanilla-beans-pods-/390950504968?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Food_SM&hash=item5b06774a08

:wow: What a deal! Thanks! :thup:

Keyhole said:
A Jay said:

Fantastic! Just ordered a batch :D

Thank you, Keyhole!

I've been playing with options for the egg whites left over from my fat bombs, and came up with this recipe for a sort of eclair-ish cake roll. It's quite good! You'll notice the custard (filling) recipe it tweaked slightly, it's just what works for me. :)

Part 1: The Eggies
---------------------------------
Crack a dozen eggs into a bowl (be careful not to break the yolks). With a spoon, separate the yolks into another bowl. Refrigerate both bowls for the time being.

Part 2: The Filling
Bring a double-boiler (for consistent heat) to a simmer and melt ½ lb butter (1 cup), ½ cup coconut oil, and 1.5 cups coconut milk until consistently mixed. Stir in 2 tbsp powdered stevia, 1 tbsp lemon juice, and 1.5 tbsp gelatin (Knox or similar). After gelatin has dissolved, remove from heat and stir in the 12 eggs yolks from part 1. Replace on heat for 2-3 minutes, consistently stirring, until mixture thickens.

Remove from heat and put the pot into a cold water bath in the sink, stir until the mixture has cooled to room temp. While stirring, add 1 tbsp vanilla. Remove from sink and beat in ¼ c. cold water with a mixer until slightly foamy, then blend at high speed for 30 seconds. Pour into a container from the blender (make sure to get it all!) and refrigerate for 1 hr or until the gelatin has set. Once it's set, it should be a foamy, creamy texture.

Part 3: The Cake
The 12 egg whites will make anywhere from 4 to 8 “cakes”, depending on the size of the eggs. Start with ½ cup egg whites in a mixing bowl. Add 1 tsp powdered stevia, ¼ tsp cream of tartar, and ½ tsp Vanilla. Whip with a mixer until foamy and stiff peaks form. Cover a medium to large sized cookie sheet with parchment paper. Wipe down the parchment paper lightly with olive oil, butter, or other oil. Spread the whipped egg whites evenly onto the paper with a spatula into a rectangular shape. Bake at 300 F for 15 minutes. Remove and let cool for 5 minutes, then carefully peel from parchment paper.

Part 4: The Roll
With your finished egg white cake sheet, spread on about 1 cup of the custard filling, making sure to take some time and spread it evenly over the whole surface. Sprinkle generously with cinnamon or a cinnamon/stevia mixture, and roll it up.

The roll can be cut and served as is, or frozen anywhere from 1-2 hrs and then cut.

Attachments

• DSC02574.JPG
    DSC02574.JPG
    7.3 MB · Views: 526
Egg nog fatbomb cake recipe

Follow the pie crust recipe here. For this adventure, I used 2 8x8ish pans and:

4 bags (24oz) of pork rind
1 1/4 sticks of butter
1/2 cup xylitol
A pinch of nutmeg and cloves

Bake at 350F for 20 minutes. I cooled them in the freezer for 15 minutes.

Ingredients:

50 oz (1500ml) coconut cream
1 1/4 cup coconut oil
2 pkgs Knox gelatin
4 1/2 sticks unsalted butter (1 1/4 lbs.)
11 tbsp xylitol

Follow the custard version of the fatbomb recipe here.

For flavoring (added while cooling in the sink w/ immersion blender):

4 tbsp vanilla
1 1/2 tsp rum extract
1 1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cloves

Pour in cooled pie crusts and refrigerate until hungry.

FYI, we use Kara brand coconut cream. The carb content says zero. :cool2:

10 minutes chocolate fat bomb

4 yolks
100 butter
1 teaspoon xylithol
1 teaspoon cocoa
pinch of (himalayan) salt

Melt the butter. Wait until water evaporates (it will be thick then) but do not burn.
While melting butter separate yolks into cup.
Add xylithol, cocoa and salt, sitr with teaspoon.
Melted butter take off heat for few seconds to cool. Put the cup on a non-slippery surface (i use paper towel).
Very slowly, thin stream, add butter, mixing all the time.
Enjoy

Optionally: i sometimes add 1 teaspoon sesame paste - tahimi - but be carefull as it is known allergenic, possibly inflammatory.
Delicacies like vanilla extract are not available where i live, i also travel and don't have time nor equipment to make large batches of fancy food, this is as simple as can be and ingredients are easily available.

I've been tweaking my fatbomb recipe a bit over the last few weeks and realized a biggie: I used to stirr the egg yolks into the butter/oil mixture and always got some egg yolk flakes that I needed to blend to get a homogenous mix. At some stage I reminded myself of the process of making mayonnaise, which works the other way around. You slowly pour the oil into the egg yolks.

So I tried this with the fatbomb too, and I must say, that the result is much more pleasant. For, tarters I don't need any thickeners, as the mixture itself is like thick mayo, and it's nicely homogenous. So I slowly pour the warm butter/ oil mix into the egg yolk, under constant stirring. No blending required.

This may be a nobrainer for you, but for me it really made a difference.

When I read a recipe I often assume that the creator has already worked out the best technique, made at least several versions over time and figured out the best way to do it. However I usually find there is a better way.

I think often recipes are limited by convention. For instance if you make marshmallows with gelatin and xylitol, it's not actually the whipping that causes it to stiffen up, but the cooling. You can save a lot of time by using a water bath and whipping enough to get it aerated and suspend the bubbles. But it seems most of the people who write recipes instead sit there with the whip for an hour or more not realizing that it's not necessary.

Another example is making the pork rhind bread. It is much easier for me if I blend the eggs and add the fat, spices and xylitol immediately to that. Then I pour the egg mixture into the bowl, and then mix the pork rhind flour into that. This way I can get it fully mixed without it becoming too thick to pour into the baking dish. There is also the trick of melting the fat in the baking dish so you don't need to grease it by hand. Add several of these tweaks together and you can save yourself a LOT of time in the kitchen.

People who don't have much experience at cooking tend to stick to the recipe with a death grip because they don't have a metric for what the ingredients are doing, how they will interact and behave and how that will change the result. But this wastes a lot of time. I think for beginners at cooking it's a good idea to make everything in single-serving portions. That way you are cooking more often and can try many different things without wasting ingredients, or being stuck with a bad result for a week. And perfectionists could be helped by letting go and accepting the risk that a few eggs might be wasted. There is a degree of faith involved, but a little goes a long way.

Yesterday I have made my first fat-bomb-without-using-electricity.

Ingredients :

6 egg yolks
200 gr of rendered lard
1 tsp of spices
1 tsp of salt
1 tin of coconut cream (400 ml)
1 avocado

Process :

Heat some water to around 60°C (I didn't uses a thermometer)
Heat the lard to get it melt and let it on low fire.
Put the egg yolks in a large bowl, mixed them with a fork.
Add the spices and the salt and mix.
Add the lard little by little while mixing with the fork while holding the bowl on the hot water.

It looked like a pastry at first.
Then at some point it started to be more liquid.
I thought it will turn bad.
I started added the coconut cream while continuing to add the lard.

It looked quite liquid then, so I decided to add one crushed avocado.
It didn't seemed to make much difference.

But after few hours in the fridge they turn out very well structured.

Next time I will add some bone broth to see if it steel works.

I've been experimenting with different flavored fat bombs, but I think when adding fruit, I'm just defeating the purpose of it being low carb. I feel like I have to add way too much of, say a berry, to get it to taste of that flavor so I started looking at baking extracts. The problem with that here in the sates is most contain propylene glycol. I found a company called Olive Nation that offers PG Free extracts in a variety of flavors. They have a website under their name if anyone is interested. I made two fat bombs today using their extracts, one with chocolate extract and one with marshmallow. They have a good concentration as I only needed a teaspoon.

I think I have finally understood how to make a fat bomb custard right.

And the point is that heat matters.

So, with my Thermomix it is now a very simple process :

I put 500ml of broth into the Thermomix bowl (the broth contain a tea spoon of salt) , I had 500gr of palm oil and the juice of 1 lemon.

I put the heat on 70°C.

I start mixing on position 1.

As soon as the bowl is hot I turn out the heat.

When the oil as melt down I had the egg yolks one at a time (15 of them).

As the bowl become more and more full I mix faster and faster.

Finally I add 60 drops of lemon essential oil and I continue mixing now at maximum speed for about 1 minute.

Now, if there is some foam at the top it is done, if not I wait one hour or so and mix again for about one minute, if there is foam etc...

After some time in the fridge that make 12 16ml creamy fat bombs.

Goemon_ said:
I think I have finally understood how to make a fat bomb custard right.

And the point is that heat matters.

So, with my Thermomix it is now a very simple process :

I put 500ml of broth into the Thermomix bowl (the broth contain a tea spoon of salt) , I had 500gr of palm oil and the juice of 1 lemon.

I put the heat on 70°C.

I start mixing on position 1.

As soon as the bowl is hot I turn out the heat.

When the oil as melt down I had the egg yolks one at a time (15 of them).

As the bowl become more and more full I mix faster and faster.

Finally I add 60 drops of lemon essential oil and I continue mixing now at maximum speed for about 1 minute.

Now, if there is some foam at the top it is done, if not I wait one hour or so and mix again for about one minute, if there is foam etc...

After some time in the fridge that make 12 16ml creamy fat bombs.

Hi Goemon,

I just wanted to check that you really mean 60 drops of lemon essential oil because as I understand it, essential oils can be very potent and toxic in large doses and 60 drops sounds like a lot, even if it's for 12 fat bombs. Do you mean actual essential oil or just lemon oil? Or do you mean 6 drops? In any case, I think care should be taken when ingesting essential oils :)

FWIW Goemon you can find a tutorial video on how to make a fat bomb custard here which may be of some help to you.

Back
Top Bottom