Fascist America, in 10 Easy Steps - By Naomi Wolf

yamez

The Force is Strong With This One
To quote...

"What if, in a year and a half, there is another attack — say, God forbid, a dirty bomb? The executive can declare a state of emergency. History shows that any leader, of any party, will be tempted to maintain emergency powers after the crisis has passed. With the gutting of traditional checks and balances, we are no less endangered by a President Hillary than by a President Giuliani — because any executive will be tempted to enforce his or her will through edict rather than the arduous, uncertain process of democratic negotiation and compromise."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,,2064157,00.html

Wow, even a President Hillary ( a woman ), would endanger us... well done Naomi! Although I do feel she has more to say, she is staying within "acceptable" bounds...

That the problem is not men but something other... Pathocracy...

yup. a great article you referenced. and already featured on SOTT some time ago :)

maybe she has more to say and is staying within acceptable bounds. or maybe this is her full understanding so far, who knows? It's still quite incisive.
I DO often get the feeling that many article-writers strategically leave stuff unsaid, in order to get out a partial message rather than none at all. Of course, it is a difficult balance between that or creating 'half-truths' that serve the lie.

For reference, where is the article featured on SOTT? Please give exact search terms. When I enter "Naomi Wolf" only two enteries come up, none mentioning the article except what I just posted.

Here: http://www.signs-of-the-times.org/articles/show/130853-SHOCK%21+UK+Guardian+Spells+It+Out+-+Bush+Administration+Is+A+Dictatorship%21

FYI, there's a relatively recent (October 11) video of an entire, public lecture by Naomi Wolf, outlining the steps to closing down a "democratic" society.

_http://youtube.com/watch?v=RjALf12PAWc

If you're not into watching, here are notes I took. About 5% of it is my own correlations to current events. I make no particular judgment on her presentation other than I thought it was pretty sincere-sounding and didn't feel creeped out until the end, because I thought the "hope for the future" bit was a kind of lame and unrealistic. I also thought I sniffed CoIntelPro at the very end when she said that all the Dem candidates for pres had been pressured to sign some kind of promise that they'd restore the constitution, and that they were working on Republicans to do the same. That just sounds purely silly to me.

How "democracies" are closed down. Recurrence of tactics, a blueprint perfected by dictators throughout history. Example, Germany in the 1930s. There are ten tactics that are used. All ten are in use in the USA right now. {I'm not sure these are numbered correctly, as she wasn't clear about numbering them, and I'm sure it's on a website somewhere anyway. These are just notes I took as I listened.}

1. Invoke an internal or external threat, real or imagined. Stalin warned of "sleeper cells" of capitalist agents dressing and acting like Soviet citizens, in wait to cause terrorist mayhem. Goebbels, Nazi propaganda minister, "embedded journalists" with German troops in Poland. Pinochet told Chileans in 1973 about "armed insurgents" and used faked documents to "prove" that they were going to go on an assassination spree.
2. Secret prisons and torture sites outside the nation, outside the law. Claims that all societies that do this eventually turn abuse against their citizens. In a fascist shift, state uses torture against marginal people with whom the mainstream doesn't identify (Germany tortured communists, Jews, anarchists, Gypsies), and eventually moves on to journalists, editors, labor leaders, political opponents. It is used to frighten, to push back democracy. US president can now label anyone an enemy combatant and confine them for up to three years without charge, effectively removing the "threat" of this person forever (psychologists know this kind of isolation drives people insane).
3. Growth of paramilitary forces within the country. In the US, mercenaries, federalized national guard, militarized police. Blackwater in New Orleans -- they have a $1 billion contract to respond to calls within the USA in the event of "emergency," which is declarable by the president.
4. Creation of surveillance apparatus aimed at ordinary citizens. As long as everyone knows they are being surveilled, they will be inhibited. Make the surveillance known while times are still "good" and there will be no resistance to its construction because most people feel they have nothing to hide.
5. Actual harrassment or even arrest of citizens to quell dissent. Societal resistance closes down as soon as people start reading about people THAT THEY IDENTIFY WITH being declared enemy combatants and being arrested. Then, they become frightened and shut up. 750,000 Americans now on "the watch list" and are given trouble at airports, including the nation's leading constitutional scholar Richard Murphy, members of Code Pink, anti-war organizers -- these people are pulled aside and interrogated as to where they're going and who they are going to visit. Eventually, job opportunities, welfare benefits, and other things close down if one is on the list.
6. Arbitrarily detain and release citizens to further spread fear of authority. We now have police and alphabet-soup agency people covertly infiltrating various organizations, looking to target key individuals as examples. Also many reports of police arresting people that would have merely been warned or otherwise spoken to. This and the previous step creates an atmosphere of distrust among people, to make them less likely to trust each other and cooperate.
7. Restrict the press.
8. A drumbeat of the words terror, terrorist, espionage, sabotage, etc. The definitions of traitor, terrorist, sabotage, etc., begin to expand to include more and more people. This has happened with animal-rights and environmental activists already.
10. Declare martial law, usually following dramatic scenes of instability, which can easily be sown by agents provocateur.

Wolf wonders about the tasering videos being eerily good in quality, suggesting they are designed to be widely seen. Claims Nazi Germany actually, judiciously showed pictures and film of atrocities intentionally to freak people out.

The U.S. attorneys that were fired were all in electoral "swing states." In the event of voting or election fraud cases or voting rights violations, it is the U.S. attorneys to whom cases are brought. If they are cronies of the ruling power, they provide insurance that if vote fixing is discovered, the defendants will not be found guilty (at least, not enough to alter election results). Thus, a violent coup is unnecessary. Tyrants love elections because it provides the appearance of validation for them. Austrians voted almost 99% for their own annexation by Hitler's Germany, but with brown-shirts at their doors.

People fail to understand what a closed society looks like. They imagine goosestepping soldiers, politicians addressing throngs from balconies, and crematoria in the countryside. Only once in history did it look like that. Even violent miltary dictatorships have all the trappings of civil society: there are still elections (they're just fixed or otherwise corrupted), there's a changing of the guard (just the same cabal in power), still a judiciary (they just don't go against the ruling power), still academics (they just watch what they say), still news media (but self-censoring, knowing exactly how far to push an inquiry), etc.

Hope: window is closing, but with pushback by millions insisting on restoration of rights, tyrants may be unseated. But when people wake up during a fascist shift, that's when the power cracks down harder. Naomi Wolf recommends resistance to further abuses of power, and impeachment. Says founding fathers didn't intend delegatation of the defense of liberty to a professional class of pundits, politicians, or scholars, but rather intended the people to do it.

Yes, the video was carried on SotT in October as well - I thought it was quite good. http://www.sott.net/articles/show/142323-Video-The-Fascist-Blueprint

There is also her video interveiw with Amy Goodman here on SotT - http://www.sott.net/articles/show/144651-Video-The-End-of-America-Naomi-Wolf-and-Amy-Goodman-Discuss-America-s-Descent-into-Fascism

Also a while back I watched an interview with her on Book TV. She was interviewed by Viet Dinh, a man who worked in the first Bush Administration and helped craft the Patriot Act. It is an interesting watch:

http://www.booktv.org/program.aspx?ProgramId=8653&SectionName=After%20Words&PlayMedia=Yes

beau said:
She was interviewed by Viet Dinh, a man who worked in the first Bush Administration and helped craft the Patriot Act. It is an interesting watch.
I've just watched it - it's amazing. Naomi kept cool and was controlling this conversation, even though it was a big fish she was talking to and that Dinh was pushing enraging bullshit. When I watched the guy stuttering I was asking myself "What is he STUPID or something ?!" The PROBLEM is, that he isn't stupid...

She says during her lecture that the founding fathers knew that it is HUMAN NATURE to abuse power if power was unchecked.

Makes me wonder how much did the founding fathers knew of psychopathy/pathocrats?

i think personally that a number of the "founding fathers" may have been pathocrats/psycopaths themselves. certainly in theory the simple IDEA of america is a beautiful one. the way we got here is something else entirely.

i think we really need people like naomi wolf who can be within the bounds, so to speak, yet still bring up some of this sensitive material. so many americans will not listen to anything that contradicts their own paradigm. despite the possibility of cointelpro and disinformation, i think it's important nonetheless to at least get people thinking. i still have friends who will literally laugh directly in my face if i tell them that we are moving to fascism. it's amazing how people ignore (or are forced to ignore) the signs

Back
Top Bottom