Experimental Fasting

Earlier in the thread you said there's no particular benefit to dry fasting.. I haven't researched it at all, but remember reading the opposite in the past, that dry fasting was best. I've forgotten whatever the details were. But that was something always in the back of my mind, "I should be dry fasting but that seems impossible"... I was drinking a lot of black tea, the times I tried longer fasts, but have recently switched entirely to green, and am attempting to transition to just rooibos (haven't really researched benefits/drawbacks of rooibos, I just like the taste and I think it's much lower in oxalates).. Anyway good to know I should probably just not worry and it's ok to drink while fasting!

If my memory serves I have heard the Steak And Butter Gang and/or Prof Bart Kay say that one interesting thing about dry fast is that your body needing some water will release some fat from your body because the fat is stored with water.

They said it was not for beginners.

Thanks for the positive feedback, everyone!

Before you break your fast, watch this!!!
These are fantastic videos, thanks so much Laura! Really interesting to know that varying protein intake can modulate the autophagy cycle.

Sounds like I'll be breaking my fast with a big coconut oil and ghee shake!

1 cup ghee.
1/3 cup coconut oil.
Three drops bergamot oil.
Three drops vanilla essence.

Later servings: add some mashed avocado.

Would love to add some chocolate collagen protein powder as well, but I might wait until the second day before any serious protein intake. I'll spend the first day doing the fat shakes and sauerkraut + veggie soups. 😋

Before you break your fast, watch this!!!

His video about fasting:

Thank you Laura for sharing the videos.

Thank you Brandon for sharing your journey. I did few times 17 day fasting during the old master cleanse days. Though I did 3 day fasting once in a while after that, I never seriously gone beyond 3 day fasting. One thing many of us realized is coming out of fasting has to be slow thing. I used to come back into eating with broth, then to little vegetables and meat within 2 days . I didn't know one can come back with fats. Probably I feared of acid reaction with fats immediately. Try it out which one works for you.

Based on recent parasite test, it looks i have some unhealthy yeast and candida growth. After taking care of some probiotics balance issues, I will do the fasting for 3 to 5 days thing. Working from home makes it easy, also makes it tempting to eat some thing.

How'd you go with breaking the fast @Ryan ? I've been fasting for 6 days now, will probably stop tomorrow.. I'm going to try doing pretty much the method from the video Laura shared..

I feel very good! Had been feeling quite crummy since Christmas, when I indulged in sugary foods much more than usual, and then caught a cold (people we spent Christmas with both had colds)! This fast has been great, feeling so much better now. Thanks for the inspiration Ryan :)

The supplements seem to have made it much better than last time I tried a longer fast - wasn't paying much attention to supplements back then.. Plenty of energy while out walking.. Last times I tried fasting since we got our dog, long walks and running around at the park were difficult after a couple days, I'd feel weak and get jelly legs.. none of that this time.. I think I'm going to start doing this regularly.

Thanks for the positive feedback, everyone!

These are fantastic videos, thanks so much Laura! Really interesting to know that varying protein intake can modulate the autophagy cycle.

Sounds like I'll be breaking my fast with a big coconut oil and ghee shake!

1 cup ghee.
1/3 cup coconut oil.
Three drops bergamot oil.
Three drops vanilla essence.

Later servings: add some mashed avocado.

Would love to add some chocolate collagen protein powder as well, but I might wait until the second day before any serious protein intake. I'll spend the first day doing the fat shakes and sauerkraut + veggie soups. 😋

Not sure if that recipe is a good idea. I think it might overload your gall bladder. How about trying a teaspoon of MCT oil to start off with and then follow the plan?

Well today I had a couple teaspoons of coconut oil, then a couple hours later, some sauerkraut and a bit of Greek yoghurt.. couple hours later, some chicken & veggie soup and a bit of steamed broccoli.. then this evening had some sardines. I feel good. Not really hungry for more.. Tomorrow though, it's roast pork time!

Last time I did a 7 day fast, I just went straight back to eating a full normal meal immediately afterwards. (Well to be honest I probably pigged out and ate more than I normally would've, heh!).. I didn't actually notice any ill effects from this, reckon I'm not very sensitive to body stuff... But what Sten Ekberg says in those videos makes a lot of sense..

I *was* surprised that I didn't particularly feel like eating a lot more, once I started again.. I guess that's what doing it gradually in this way does for you. (I've been doing intermittent fasting for a few years, one meal a day is normal, and 48 hour fasts semi-regularly.. don't find it difficult.. but I usually find that once I DO have a little bit of food, I then want a lot more). So I think the trick for me will be to maintain a sensible eating habit, amount-wise. What I actually eat is pretty good these days I think, found a good balance and figured out what my body doesn't want.. but I tend to go through cycles where sometimes I eat TOO MUCH.. have done this since I was a child. My dad is a huge eater, it's always the plate stacked up with as much as you can fit on it.. then go back for seconds! Oof! How much of it is just an addiction? If I eat only a little bit, and wait for awhile, then I don't feel the need for more...

The feeling when fasting for more than a few days is interesting, it's very relaxing in a weird way.. like, "It's time to eat something - oh wait, no, I don't have to, I can just chill....".. You can really feel that your body expends a lot of energy on eating and digesting food, and when fasting all that energy is freed right up!

Apologies for the delay in updating this thread. I've been travelling and readjusting my daily schedule.

Not sure if that recipe is a good idea. I think it might overload your gall bladder. How about trying a teaspoon of MCT oil to start off with and then follow the plan?
Once again, your read on the situation is exceptional, Laura. Here's what happened on day 1 (Monday 30th) of breaking the fast:

I started at around 8:30am with the aforementioned shake, only with a little extra vanilla essence because a few drops didn't seem enough for flavour. Although the texture seemed okay initially, I made the mistake of adding cold coconut milk in an attempt to thin it a little, and of course the cold temperature caused the ghee and coconut oil to harden into a sort of bizarre clumpy mixture of ghee with little nougats of coconut oil through it. As a result, I had to soften it in my mouth as I ate it, and I only managed about half of it, which was in retrospect probably a good thing.

The mixture did seem to sit well in my stomach for about two hours, however it also triggered significant food cravings, so I decided to speed up the process slightly and introduce a few forkfuls of sauerkraut to give my stomach something fibrous to work on and begin repopulating my gut biome. I probably had about 80g worth, maybe about 5-6 forkfuls. I thought this would be a gentle enough amount and not overdo things.

The mixture did not sit well. I was in a small amount of discomfort a little later, and my energy levels plummeted and I felt quite listless and mentally 'foggy'. At the time, I attributed this to a redirection of energy 'restarting' my digestive system, so I just rested and didn't do much while I waited for the affects to abate. I also took my fasting dose of Vitamin C to help with any detoxing that might have been occurring as part of the 'restart' process. At about 4:30pm, around the time I intended to finish eating for the day, I felt a fair bit better, so decided that perhaps the best way was to "push on with it" and have another small serving of sauerkraut with a glass of coconut milk as a substitute for any extra fat intake.

So, I had another ~80g of sauerkraut, which was a bigger mistake, and left me in considerable discomfort throughout the evening. I had to remain close to a toilet for a number of hours. I don't know whether it was the vinegar of the sauerkraut, or the earlier ghee & coconut oil, or the mixture of both, but eventually my system cleared itself, and I figured the best thing to do would be to have an early night and see how I felt in the morning. I went to bed around 10:00pm, and slept a full and uninterrupted night's sleep. I felt much better upon awakening.

Day 2 (Tuesday 31st):

Considering the previous day, I decided that avocado might be a much better way to reintroduce some fats and fibrous bulk into my gut, and this turned out to be a much better decision. I sliced a quarter fresh, ripe avocado and ate that. This felt so nice and gentle in my stomach that my diet for the day consisted of two avocados and a few glasses of coconut milk, spaced out across the day. During the afternoon I prepared a slow-cooker vegetable minestrone soup which was left to cook overnight, and I munched on a few small celery sticks during preparation, which seemed okay.

Overall, I should have changed up Day 1 and 2 as follows:

Day 1:

Breakfast: Teaspoon of MCT oil.
Lunch: Quarter of avocado.
Afternoon snack to finish: Another teaspoon of MCT oil + sliced avocado, glass of coconut milk.

Day 2:

Breakfast: MCT oil + avocado, coconut milk.
Lunch: MCT oil + avocado, 40g serving sauerkraut, coconut milk.
Afternoon: Same as lunch, maybe with some celery sticks to add bulk.

I began day 3 with the minestrone soup + more avocado which worked well, I'll detail that in my next post.

Oh no Ryan! Hope you didn't have too miserable a time.. Can't say I blame you for going for the monster fat shake after a MONTH though :) Ah well, next time will be better... You all recovered now?

I'm back to my normal now after my one week fast. I've noticed a sort of reset of my food cravings.. I seem to keep forgetting I'm "allowed" to eat, so I just don't even think about it til dinner time. Who knows how long that'll last.. but I'm thinking of doing this again in a month or two.

Here's a little thing which might be nothing: My reflexes and hand-eye coordination seemed to get way better while fasting, and the effect is still here - while we're out with the dog, my gf and I like to throw a tennis ball to each other at increasingly random/awkward/difficult-to-catch angles, trying to catch each other unaware.. and I suddenly got so good at catching that ball! Only missed it once all week, which might have been because I was halfway through rolling a cigarette when she threw it... I know this sounds kind of silly but it was really noticeable to us... (and we were just playing that game again tonight and I was still ruling, LOL).... Probably just part of the expected increased mental acuity from fasting I guess...

Thanks @Ryan for this thread. I must say it's very motivating to read that fasting is not that demanding, and certainly has health benefits. I did a few one-day fasts in my life, did a three-day one a few weeks ago; now I'm trying to do a longer one, and also record some statistics. Today was my first fasting day. I went for running to deplete glycogen stores faster, because today was very sedentary. Below is my heart rate chart during a running session. Same pace, no hills, ceteris paribus. At about the 10-minute mark heart rate goes up. I suppose it's a sign of glycogen depletion, since fat metabolism is more oxygen-demanding, so the body needs to pump blood faster. What is interesting, I haven't felt worse, didn't even notice a heart rate increase. I'm wondering how fast ketone bodies will be detected now via keto test sticks.
Zrzut ekranu 2023-02-8 o 23.15.16.png

Oh no Ryan! Hope you didn't have too miserable a time.. Can't say I blame you for going for the monster fat shake after a MONTH though :) Ah well, next time will be better... You all recovered now?
Thanks brandon, yeah, I'm back to 'regular' eating again now, although I've modified my diet to include at least a few days of complete ketosis during the week.

Probably just part of the expected increased mental acuity from fasting I guess...
Yeah, I noticed that too. The brain REALLY likes running on ketones!

Thanks @Ryan for this thread. I must say it's very motivating to read that fasting is not that demanding, and certainly has health benefits. I did a few one-day fasts in my life, did a three-day one a few weeks ago; now I'm trying to do a longer one, and also record some statistics.
Cheers, KS. Have you made it to the one-week mark? I personally think you get increased density of benefits from fasts of 7-14 days duration.

Day 3:

Okay, so here's my slow cooker minestrone soup recipe. I started the day with a big bowl of this, plus avocado, coconut milk and mineral water. It sat quite well, so I had a second helping a few hours later with two fried eggs (cooked in macadamia oil) included to see whether the eggs would cause any reaction. Everything went very well.

2 tablespoons macadamia oil (olive/MCT oil suitable as well).
1 red onion, finely chopped.
3-4 spring onion stalks, trimmed, finely chopped.
1 fennel bulb, trimmed, core removed, finely chopped.
3 large celery stalks, trimmed and washed.
1/2 leek, white and pale green parts only, washed, finely chopped.
3 carrots, finely chopped.
3 garlic gloves.
2L (8 cups) vegetable stock.
Fresh parsley, finely chopped.
Fresh basil leaves, finely chopped.
Celtic sea salt.

1. Heat the oil in a medium to large sized sauce/frying pan.
2. Saute the onion, spring onion, fennel, celery, leek and carrot over low to medium heat for approximately 10-15 minutes until slightly softened. Use a lid slightly ajar if possible.
3. Crush the garlic with a sprinkle of salt using either a crusher or the flat of a large knife blade, to get it as pulpy as possible.
4. Add the garlic, chopped parsley and basil and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
5. Transfer pan contents to slow cooker. Add the vegetable stock and stir thoroughly.
6. Cook on "Low" for 6-8 hours.

This makes at least six-eight servings. Make sure your slow cooker is at least 4L in size.
The way my schedule worked out, I had to begin about two weeks travel that afternoon so with the extra preparation and activity, despite the avocado, soup, and eggs, by 5-6pm that evening I was feeling quite ravenous. Although I would not recommend this, I decided to stop at a takeaway restaurant along the way and get some fried chicken tenders and bacon slices, just to see whether the meat would settle some of the cravings. And it did. :lol: Fortunately, I didn't have any reaction to the undoubtably additive-filled basting and most likely unhealthy deep-frier fats.

Day 4:

As I was on the road, I started with a low carb breakfast from a 'health cafe' type place: bacon, eggs, sausage and a few sprigs of greenery. This went down very well, and after that I was pretty much on a 16/8 intermittent fasting schedule for the next two weeks, give or take a few social meals.

Now that I've returned home, I'm going to look at maintaining a few low carb/no carb/fasting days each week and do some monitoring of my ketones to see how to create a diet which balances my insulin levels without completely eliminating carbs from my diet, which might be counterproductive as I begin proper strength training again.

On that note, thanks also to @987baz for recommending the following video by Andrew Huberman. Perfect material to create a new, improved, post-fasting training schedule!

And thank you to everyone who has provided feedback, information, comments or reactions on this thread. I hope you found it to be informative; there's surely much more to be discovered about the science of fasting yet!

Last edited:
Cheers, KS. Have you made it to the one-week mark? I personally think you get increased density of benefits from fasts of 7-14 days duration.
Hi Ryan, unfortunately, I failed after full three days. I've had problems with sleeping, which is pretty much a known issue, but the melatonin that I took was giving me night awakenings. So I didn't get quality sleep, and this simply burned out my motivation (along with the day's chores). I'm planning my next fast, probably in a week, and will buy 10mg of slow release melatonin plus liposomal vitamin C. BTW after second day, I've had a "medium" level of exerted ketones (wasn't on keto diet before the fast), so two days seems to be enough to kick off a keto diet.

Back
Top Bottom