Everything Everywhere All at Once

As expected, the (weighty) criticism of this movie comes after it won a thousand US oscars.

For the record, when we watched some of it on Sunday night I had no idea the Oscars were about to happen or that it had received any nominations and I had arrived at my opinion of it by the time I went to sleep, which was before the Oscars happened.

When I heard yesterday on the radio that it had won loads of Oscars, I was surprised that it had even been nominated.

So I guess my finger is about as far from the pulse of the modern movie industry as it could be… thank God.

Interesting differing opinions on it.. I don't know anything about the Oscars, never followed it.. and I don't want or need to defend the movie obviously but, since I was saying earlier how I loved it, better reply! I'm not at all confident that my thoughts on it were "right" (if opinions on movies can be objective), more inclined to think I was wrong, really... Perhaps I was just dissociating and enjoying it in a brain-numbed way, dunno. (still haven't watched it a second time). I do remember that I didn't find this movie particularly violent (if anything I was disappointed there wasn't that much actual martial arts going on) or overly "fast flashing stuff at you" compared to most other modern movies, but maybe I'm desensitised to that stuff, because I've seen lots of people mention that.. The couple scenes with sex toys (being used as weapons) were the only thing I just really wished weren't in it... that's why I haven't tried to watch it again...

the lesbianism of the daughter is the main theme of the opening of the film, the nihilism of the daughter later in the film - if everything is meaningless and anything is possible, pure hedonistic narcissism ensues, which she personifies.
Yeah, exactly, but I thought the whole point of the film was about how that is a bad way to be, and about overcoming that nihilism.. (and the fact that the daughter was gay didn't seem like it had anything to do with anything).. I saw the main theme of the movie as being about the flaws of the mother, she wanted things to be perfect instead of seeing them for what they were - she's pining for the life she never lead, the past decision she didn't make - so she neglected her husband and daughter. Later, she tries to blame the problems of her relationship with her daughter on the magical psycho nihilist version of the daughter, instead of realising she herself is responsible - as the scientist alternate reality version of her was responsible for that version of the daughter's madness, because she did weird experiments on her.. (The ending was a bit wishy washy though, I don't remember there being much of a meaningful realisation or anything, it just sort of skipped straight to happy end where everyone becomes normal...).. But yeah, I saw whatever wokeness flavour it had as being almost like camouflage, just a surface-level thing to make the film popular, but all worn away by the end... (must admit, after the first few scenes I did expect it to be a fully woke thing, was pleasantly surprised by the end)...

Anyways! So I'm not saying any of you are wrong :D But maybe if you watched the whole thing you'd see it a bit differently. Or not. (Except, if the filmography is just too hyperactive for you and you just hate it, of course.....) I still might watch it again some time and see how wrong *I* was...!

One last thought, related to this:
Just part of the project to introduce hyperdimensional concepts to the masses.
Ooh interesting.. but is that a bad thing? It depends on the flavour I guess, or the limitations or agenda of what idea of hyperdimensional reality is presented... The film's multiple different realities flipping back and forth and merging into one another, reminded me of this:
Q: (L) I want to ask again for the benefit of Terry and Jan, what or who were the beings seen by DM in her hypnotic regression the other night? {This session is recounted in the Wave in some detail including direct transcript.}

A: Her essence.

Q: (L) Were these in any way physical beings on the earth we occupy in space/time from where we are at this moment?

A: No.

Q: (L) This happened in a so-called alternate reality?

A: Is still.

Q: (L) So, in some alternate reality, DM is a preying mantis being eating little children?

A: And so are you. And all others.

Q: (L) This is an essence of what?

A: Her being.

Q: (L) Are these aspects of our being coming to earth as part of the realm border crossing?

A: Yes.

Q: (L) Are all of us going to have to face these aspects of ourselves as other beings?

Q: (L) Are there other parts of us in all realms doing other things at this moment?

Q: (L) And how is this going to be affected by the realm border crossing?

A: Will merge.

Q: (L) Do we need to do extensive hypnosis to bring these aspects of ourselves up and deal with these things a little at a time?

A: Will happen involuntarily. Will be like a thermonuclear blast.

Last edited:
We watched half the movie on Sunday night. We’ve decided not to bother watching the other half of it.

I personally didn’t find it particularly funny, though there were one or two times in it where I laughed. Tonally, the film works, but how could it not when it’s so all over the place?

I didn’t actually think the acting was that great, either. You watch Yeoh in “Crouching Tiger…” and that’s great acting. So it’s not that I don’t like her.

I also thought it was very woke. The first half of the film is strewn with sex toys which can only come from a normalisation of them, the lesbianism of the daughter is the main theme of the opening of the film, the nihilism of the daughter later in the film - if everything is meaningless and anything is possible, pure hedonistic narcissism ensues, which she personifies.

I heard an interview about the film with Jamie Lee Curtis on the radio yesterday. I thought her performance wasn’t great either, but hey, she won an Oscar for it (!?), and I have no idea how or why but she started going on about Iran, and how the women there are forced to do this and can’t do this, and I thought, “You’ve just made a film full of dildos and butt-plugs and you want to preach about morality?”

Ultimately, the film is Independence Day for the woke 21st century. Just part of the project to introduce hyperdimensional concepts to the masses.

I also think it’s part of the gaslighting mindjob being played on the west vis-à-vis China: “you’re all racist and we must eradicate Asian hate by promoting all things Asian and giving every Oscar to a hugely Asian film, but China bad and we’re going to have a war with them.”

I can see where you are coming from, and there are definitely some things about the film that I didn't like. Basically the same things you mentioned, although I didn't have an issue with the acting. Overall though I think it's a shame that you didn't finish the film as I think some of the scenes later on were quite beautiful. The relationship between the family members develops as they seem to represent different archetypes, or dare I even say the duality of creation (there's quite a bit of Yin/Yang metaphor etc.) The use of the concept of a black hole to represent the daughter's entropy and nihilism was quite interesting. It certainly doesn't glorify those things, in fact it contrasts them with the idea of selfless love that sees things as inherently meaningful. Nothing groundbreaking, but portrayed in a way that hints at a deeper interpretation of reality that is quite refreshing - for Hollywood.

There is still something that causes me to hesitate to say I absolutely loved this film, though, but it's fair to say it had some powerful moments.

Interesting differing opinions on it.. I don't know anything about the Oscars, never followed it.. and I don't want or need to defend the movie obviously but, since I was saying earlier how I loved it, better reply! I'm not at all confident that my thoughts on it were "right" (if opinions on movies can be objective), more inclined to think I was wrong, really... Perhaps I was just dissociating and enjoying it in a brain-numbed way, dunno. (still haven't watched it a second time). I do remember that I didn't find this movie particularly violent (if anything I was disappointed there wasn't that much actual martial arts going on) or overly "fast flashing stuff at you" compared to most other modern movies, but maybe I'm desensitised to that stuff, because I've seen lots of people mention that.. The couple scenes with sex toys (being used as weapons) were the only thing I just really wished weren't in it... that's why I haven't tried to watch it again...

Yeah, exactly, but I thought the whole point of the film was about how that is a bad way to be, and about overcoming that nihilism.. (and the fact that the daughter was gay didn't seem like it had anything to do with anything).. I saw the main theme of the movie as being about the flaws of the mother, she wanted things to be perfect instead of seeing them for what they were - she's pining for the life she never lead, the past decision she didn't make - so she neglected her husband and daughter. Later, she tries to blame the problems of her relationship with her daughter on the magical psycho nihilist version of the daughter, instead of realising she herself is responsible - as the scientist alternate reality version of her was responsible for that version of the daughter's madness, because she did weird experiments on her.. (The ending was a bit wishy washy though, I don't remember there being much of a meaningful realisation or anything, it just sort of skipped straight to happy end where everyone becomes normal...).. But yeah, I saw whatever wokeness flavour it had as being almost like camouflage, just a surface-level thing to make the film popular, but all worn away by the end... (must admit, after the first few scenes I did expect it to be a fully woke thing, was pleasantly surprised by the end)...

Anyways! So I'm not saying any of you are wrong :D But maybe if you watched the whole thing you'd see it a bit differently. Or not. (Except, if the filmography is just too hyperactive for you and you just hate it, of course.....) I still might watch it again some time and see how wrong *I* was...!

One last thought, related to this:

Ooh interesting.. but is that a bad thing? It depends on the flavour I guess, or the limitations or agenda of what idea of hyperdimensional reality is presented... The film's multiple different realities flipping back and forth and merging into one another, reminded me of this:
So, I'll look at it and see if we navigate in the Unified Field :)

So much of movies, especially modern ones, is about manipulating feelings tied to subconscious programming. There is an aspect of watching; being put into a receptive trance, and saying "push and take me wherever you do and I go willingly". "Oh, isn't so freeing and liberating and wonderful to be sucking on each others phallic drippy hot dog fingers and be released from so much repression from standards which are getting in the way of my enjoyment of the STS experience..."

Yours truly, Debbie Downer

Yeah that's kind of how I remember the movie overall.

It did have wokeism, but what doesn't these days (I know, I know.. Top Gun :D which I actually enjoyed more than this one). But, they weren't the goal of the movie, as at the end it was family what held the answer, as I remember.

The whole multiverse notion was to me a great depiction of what most of us do, or can do, when we sit there pondering what our life could be or would be should we have made this or that decision differently, escaping reality and making it all the worse by reneging and complaining about our current situation.

In the end, it felt like the mother could be a bad ass movie star, and the daughter the most dangerous creature in the multiverse, but that didn't lend them any value, or... they could be loved by each other in their humble existence. But that's my take on it, everyone's different. I do think that the fact that this movie was more diverse favored it in the oscars. And the oscars, well... I didn't even know they were to take place this weekend, and meh... they're like rotten tomatoes, rewarding garbage that mostly goes contrary to the audience's reaction.

Lastly, critical drinker had a video on this movie as well, which I feel it's worth watching, mostly to contrast it agains Marvel's multiverse attempt this past year. If it hasn't been shared here before.

Technically it was a good movie, i even liked most of it, but the double-double down on 'it's ok to feel insignificant as long as you have someone to love/ care about' just really rubbed me the wrong way. It was emphasized so much that it made me wonder if slightly different drafts of this were ever on the cards, and editorial pressure from -somewhere- was exercised. Because the trend with alot of movies dealing with similar ideas seems to be that they actively avoid an (ultimately) empowering message. I find that pretty 'sus' as the kids would call it.

Reactions: Pat
I watched this earlier this week with my adult children, one of whom had seen it before and wanted to see it again. It was the first time we all agreed on which film to watch. And most surprising was that the one that had seen it before liked it so much, as this one is rather closed off to to certain subjects. The movie was enjoyed by all of us (rare!). I think I could write a small book on the many layers within this story. I should watch it a few more times as all the zany action probably kept my attention from a number of the subtleties in there. Afterward, family discussion was around some cartoons we'd watched long ago on Adult Swim that delved into the Multiverse concept in a humorous way. I kept it at humor rather than serious level discussion, given that my kids think I'm a nut case.
My favorite lines from the movie:
The one along the lines of 'In another life, I would have loved doing laundry with you.'
The one along the lines of 'You are the most perfect person for this mission because you are so bad at everything, therefore you have the most potential for becoming any/everything.'
Beyond the tenderness of our timeless, albeit original tale of mother-daughter tension, these moments utterly melted my heart. Usually woke stuff tends to annoy me, but did at all not in this film. IRS represented as IRS.
I found myself wondering how the film editors kept it (all the story lines) organized. Not easy! In short, A+++++

I wanted to see this but never got around it. I remember the caveats listed in this thread. And if you go to IMDB and click on the rating, it gives a parents guide that lists all violent, sexual, drug, etc. scenes. So I knew what I was getting into and just kept that in mind as a psychic shield I suppose. And I recall the C's said you can take in negative things as long as you call them as they are.

So I watched it yesterday on Prime video, because they are making everything ad based soon. It was visually interesting and very quirky. I was coming out of a funky mood recently so maybe I would have enjoyed it more, but I still think it was pretty good.

For me, basically at the end it was like Paul's letter. They overcame nihilism and non-being through love, patience and kindness. It didn't matter how bad the timeline was, they had each other and the mom wanted to be with the daughter. Something like love overcomes all? I didn't look at any theory videos so that's just my impression so far.

So I think that beyond the violence and crudeness there is a good message there. Maybe just know what you're getting into. I see that Topgun Maverick and Sound of Freedom are on Prime, so maybe I'll give those a go too.

I liked how they jumped to different dimensions by doing something random, weird, or statistically improbable. Do you ever feel like you want to just do something random just to beat the odds or break your mechanical nature to see how it can change things?

I also don't understand how the idea of the multiverse and the soul works. Is it a separate soul for each dimension or one soul in 5D like an oversoul that learns from all of the different versions of you?

Hahaha I've just watched it, from my best friend recommendation, and was ready to open a thread for it. I'm happy and not surprised to see it's been already done!
What a movie... getting us ready for some 4D concepts.
I loved the kind, even more with the kung-fu parts ! There's definitely a Matrix aspect to it, and therefore Perseus essential Hero's Journey archetype too.
+ the multiverse and quantum components ; all with comic/serious switches.
It's definitely a 5 stars for me, and it really didn't happen in a while to be honest. I even wonder if it's not the very best movie I've ever watched.

To take away : "You can either come with me and live up to your ultimate potential, or lie here and live with the consequences." and "the smallest decisions can compound significant differences over a lifetime."
Concepts well known from the fellowship 👍

To summarize, I saw in it the depiction of the fundamental battle between Creativity and Entropy, the Free Will that each one has to choose between both, and their interconnection in Everything.

☯️

Of course it's not all encompassing yet either. It stays interdimensional and doesn't get into hyperdimensional stuff. And the "you just have to be kind" moment at the end doesn't take context & the 'make-nice' program into account, which only makes psychos smile in front of the lunch.
Besides that, I expected it to be much more woke when first seeing the daughter's sexuality. Then I reflected a sec' to ask if I wasn't entering extremism myself.
To my surprise, except the sexual scenes absurdity (still made me laugh), I was pleased not to see wokism through the daughter's relationship, as it wasn't promoting anything per se, just exposing a possible familial situation.

I was mostly annoyed with the philosophical freewheeling leading nowhere. There is nothing particularly interesting about multi-verse based nihilism with no further story dip into. Visually it was good attempt to look into a few of these topics.

Back
Top Bottom