Euthanasia

Gary

The Cosmic Force
FOTCM Member
I currently work as a part-time social carer to a wonderful man ‘A’, who has recently expressed his desire to die. I won’t dwell on his personal case, but it is certainly challenging me, forcing me to question subjects like the right to die, death, suffering and free will. As I try to frame my thinking as much as possible in the context of life in a Soul Community, which is my aim, I thought it more appropriate to post this in the FOTCM section.

According to wikipedia, euthanasia “refers to the practice of intentionally ending a life in order to relieve pain and suffering.”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euthanasia

In an article posted on SOTT earlier this year - France moves toward legalizing "assisted death" - generally confirms my own observations from talking to patients, family and carers.

“A report recently handed to the council found that there was widespread dissatisfaction among terminally ill patients and their families over a "cure at all costs" culture in the medical establishment.”

http://www.sott.net/article/258486-France-moves-toward-legalizing-assisted-death

From another article from 2011,

"Those Swiss politicians who want to change the rules on assisted suicide behave like moral apostles," said Margrit Weibel, president of Zurich-based suicide organization Ex International. "They are backward-looking people, entangled in the Christian belief that human beings don't have the right to make decisions on when to end their lives."

http://www.sott.net/article/221857-Suicide-Tourists-Make-Swiss-Uneasy-as-Terminally-Ill-Seek-Death

So who benefits from the present system of maintaining a “cure of all costs”? Well, in ‘A’s case, he had to sell his home in order to finance his long term care. The care home is privately owned, although at one time it was council run. Although it is staffed with lovely, professional carers and well managed - it is a profit making operation. Big Pharma obviously benefit from the medication that is administered too, from a legal context, they have an obligation to make profit for shareholders. So rather than actually ask folk what they want, in terms of treatment and care, there is a general assumption that keeping someone alive, irrespective of their wishes even, is ‘caring’.

As one of my daughters pointed out though, we all have the blues occasionally, so it is important to ascertain over a period of time, that a person can make a rational decision over their life choices. If a person is suffering and feels they no longer have any quality of life, and cannot take their own life despite that being their preferred choice - forcing them to live does not seem to honour their individual free will.

The C’s mention the following regarding suicide.

Cs session: November 7, 1994

Q: (L) What happens to people who commit suicide?

A: Varies according to circumstance.

Q: (L) In a general sense, is there some negative karma involved in committing suicide?

A: There can be negative karma involved with many things.

Q: (L) What about the death penalty?

A: Specify.

Q: (L) Is putting a criminal to death the equivalent of reducing society to the level of the criminal?

A: You are all put to death.

Q: (L) What do you mean?

A: In one way or another.

Q: (L) Well, is there any negative karma on society, the judge, the jury, the executioner, if a criminal is brought to trial, found guilty of a heinous crime and then put to death?

A: What about war? What is better? This is open because all are murderers and suicides. It is the supreme lesson you all must learn before you can graduate to ethereal existence. Your thinking is too simplified.

Q: (L) Is there ever a situation where execution helps relieve the criminal of some of his karma that may be caused by the commission of the crime for which he is being executed?

A: No.

I understand (at least in theory) the Third Force principle, and that right or wrong (STO or STS) is dependant on the specific situation, and that may be what the C’s were implying.

After observing that our dog Colby was beyond help and was just needlessly suffering, I decided to have him put down. It seemed the most compassionate and responsible course of action. The night before, my girls and I all slept on the floor with him, and said our goodbyes. It remains one of the most tender, loving occasions I have experienced. I know a lot of folk on here can empathise with this scenario.

So what about other human beings who are needlessly suffering and can articulate their free will, their desire to die - whether family, friends or complete strangers?

Can there be euthanasia in a Soul Community? Personally, I would think so. What about in today’s society with the legal and moral constraints and conditioning? Apart from Strategic Enclosure and External Considering, the principle of Third Force must be so important I feel.

As I understand it, SEEing and Doing involves being responsible; even or especially when most folk around us shirk theirs - let the State make my decisions for me, as it were.

Apart from the individual lesson I have with ‘A‘, I am aware of the probability or perhaps inevitability of seeing widespread suffering (particularly in care homes initially), as the s**t hit’s the fan in the near future - cometry induced plague, food shortages, economic meltdown etc etc.

History shows us that the weakest and most vulnerable in our society are always first to suffer and any possible individual consideration invariably gives way to blatent psychopathic systematic solutions - a eugenics agenda often dressed up as ‘caring, and the state must come first’ (genocide).

The future may be ‘open‘, but for me there is enough circumstantial evidence (Laura’s work etc) to suggest that apocalyptic cometry shocks correlate directly to the lack of spiritual makeup of society.

So widespread death and suffering seems to be something, objectively speaking, to prepare for, and we may face issues, such as euthanasia, that really test us, perhaps particularly our knowledge and application of the Third Force principle.

Hi jason,

,A, had a routine hernia operation several years ago, and was given a drug which he maintains ruined his life - left him feeling very different inside, which he still has trouble explaining. Despite various tests, nothing abnormal was found (or possibly disclosed). He always led a full life, well educated and travelled, though he was born with cerebal palsy, which he never allowed to unduly lessen his life experiences.
Since taken that drug, he got very depressed and stopped looking after himself. Noone believed him, which made him more despondant. He is now in a care home for disabled folk, and is living a life that he hates, sitting in front of the tv (he never even owned a tv before).

He has seen various profesionals, who say he suffers from bouts of delusion, and prescribe more drugs. I found alot of euthanasia literature from four years ago when i cleared his house. So it is obviously something he has been considering.

He just keeps on saying he is tired of living, has no quality of life and if his father were still alive, he would put him out of his misery.

He is aware if the legal situation however. I am gathering info on ,living wills, (called advanced decisions now in the UK) for him which at least may give him some sense of self determination regarding not wanting medical intervention in the future, if he becomes ill enough.

Some information pertaining to this topic (in the UK) is listed below. I couldn't find any information relating to euthanasia within the FOTCM Statement of Principles, but there is mention of "care of the elderly." I understand that it is a 'work in progress' of course, but if new Soul Communities were being set up, having a legal safeguard to protect ones spiritual intentions regarding this matter seems important. Of course I don't know what the stance of the FOTCM is on this issue, but I feel it would be based on compassion and honouring free will.

I see folk of all ages (certainly not just the elderly), coming down with strokes, accidents etc, (and I feel quite a few may be suffering unduly and perhaps against their wishes) and so many (and their families) have a completely distorted view of what rights they have in a legal context, often until its too late. The onus is on 'keeping folk alive whatever quality that may be' - not really about informing them about possible alternatives. Most folk are so conditioned anyway and have 'blind faith' in the medical profession (and their families), so don't even ask (if they can) and the number of 'loving families' effectively abandoning their disabled/dying 'burdens' in Care homes is truly heartwrenching.

As well as talking with 'A' about Advance Decisions (see below) I am considering it also.

I am not a 'morbid' person by nature, but am just facing the issue of death and unnecessary suffering head on, trying to identify my own fears and ignorance. :)

"End of life law and practice is confused, contradictory and constantly changing. Dignity in Dying can help you to understand the law and how it may affect you. This section sets out your rights in several common areas of concern.

Our guide to rights at the end of life was published in October 2008. It sets out people's rights and choices under common law, the Mental Capacity Act and the recently published End of Life Care Strategy.

You can download a copy of the Your Rights at the End of Life guide here.

Dignity in Dying receives many requests for information about the specifics of the law around assisted dying.

We do not provide information about how to end life but some of the most frequently asked questions are answered on the pages below.

Can you help me die?
Can a doctor help me die?
Can I help someone die?
Withholding and withdrawing treatment
Refusing treatment
Care at the end of life
Carers' rights
Please contact us on 020 7479 7730 if you need to talk to somebody, or use our free online contact form."

http://www.dignityindying.org.uk/your-rights.html

"Advance Decisions (formerly known as Living Wills) are fully compliant with the Mental Capacity Act. They allow you to refuse life-sustaining treatment should you no longer be able to communicate and this refusal is legally binding upon doctors. They also allow you to request life-sustaining treatment, no matter what your prospects of recovery, although doctors do not have to respect these requests.

Advance Decisions are available for free from our partner charity, Compassion in Dying. Visit their website for further information: www.compassionindying.org.uk."

http://www.dignityindying.org.uk/advance-decisions.html

The following is the official point of view as displayed by the Government of The Netherlands on its own website:

There are various ways to intentionally expedite the end of life. Euthanasia is the most explicit and is performed only when the patient has clearly expressed the wish to die. The Netherlands has statutory rules and procedures for the termination of life on request.

Under Dutch law, any action intended to terminate life is in principle a criminal offense. The only exemption from criminal liability is where a patient is experiencing unbearable suffering with no prospect of improvement and the attending physician fulfills the statutory due care criteria.

Source: _http://www.government.nl/issues/euthanasia

On said page three sub pages are mentioned which I will relay here directly for convenience:

_http://www.government.nl/issues/euthanasia/euthanasia-assisted-suicide-and-non-resuscitation-on-request
_http://www.government.nl/issues/euthanasia/palliative-sedation-a-normal-medical-procedure
_http://www.government.nl/issues/euthanasia/euthanasia-and-newborn-infants

Recently, one of the national broadcasting companies aired a 55 Minutes TV-documentary (on June 24, 2013) about the euthanasia of a young girl aged 25 suffering from a hereditary disease for which there exists no cure yet.
She gave herself euthanasia as a birthday present on her 26Th birthday, after attending a lavish farewell party the previous night.

It can be viewed here (Dutch only, with Dutch subtitles):
_http://www.dichtbij.nl/amsterdam-noord/lifestyle/zorg-en-welzijn/artikel/2886736/positieve-reacties-na-documentaire-over-euthanasie-priscilla.aspx

bing and google translation said:
Positive reactions after documentary about euthanasia Priscilla
REGION | June 25, 2013 | comment | By Marte van den Brink, close editor

AMSTERDAM - The documentary 'Nightly Butterfly, the last days of Priscilla' was aired Monday night by the NCRV. In this moving documentary director Peter Bosch follows the last five days of the 25-year-old Priscilla suffering the same fatal hereditary illness from which her mother deceased at the age of 31 after a long illness. On her 26Th birthday Priscilla gives herself the gift of euthanasia, after the night before a party is organized for her.

When Priscilla was diagnosed at age 16, her immediate decision was that she got to celebrate life every single day. Therefore she was no stranger to the Amsterdam nightlife, where she affectionately is nicknamed 'nightly butterfly' , referring to her tattoo of a butterfly and her life as a party goer.

In Surprise bar at the Leidseplein, a large birthday/farewell party for Priscilla was organized the night before her euthanasia. The party, her funeral card, the funeral arrangements and her headstone, everything went along as the Amsterdam inhabitant had wanted it.

The documentary shows how Priscilla, in the days before her death, is assisted by her best friends, her boyfriend and her family. Everyone supports her choice for euthanasia.

Priscilla: "It's all gone as I wanted. And it's still going the way I want. This has been my way to say Goodbye to everyone today and to prepare to take my final rest. It could not have been nicer or more beautiful...."

Comments and reactions
The broadcast of Monday evening was viewed by almost 700,000 people. The repeat was on Tuesday morning, and on the watch again channel Uitzendinggemist the documentary was also viewed more than 20,000 times on Tuesday morning alone.

The Facebook page that was created by her relatives received many positive reactions from people seeing the documentary.
Many people who respond to the page have a lot of admiration and respect for her courageous decision.
During the broadcast time, the documentary was even briefly Trending Topic on Twitter.

Watch the documentary:

Other documentation on this subject (Dutch only):
_http://www.filmfestival.nl/profs_nl/films/regie-over-eigen-leven-en-sterven
_http://www.nrc.nl/nieuws/2013/06/19/film-van-psychiater-chabot-toont-hulp-euthanasie/
_http://www.eenwaardiglevenseinde.nl/sterven-in-eigen-regie-ooggetuigen/

A related subject to euthanasia is the so called Suicide or Death Tourism:

_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_tourism
_http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/archive/Switzerland_-_death_tourism_capital.html?cid=2929738
_http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2210024/Switzerland-rejects-moves-clamp-assisted-deaths-suicide-tourism-popular.html
_http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2009/oct/28/swiss-consider-ban-assisted-suicide

Hope this helps a bit.

Thanks Palinurus for the info. I will watch the documentry about Priscilla soon.

I watched another documentary called 'Terry Pratchett - choosing to die' last night which I would recommend to anyone interested. I have posted the link below with additional info in the Movies section.

http://viooz.co/movies/17369-terry-pratchett-choosing-to-die-2011.html

31 July 2013 Last updated at 13:32 GMT

Right-to-die campaigners Nicklinson and Lamb lose battle

The family of late locked-in syndrome sufferer Tony Nicklinson and paralysed road accident victim Paul Lamb have lost their right-to-die challenges.

The Court of Appeal upheld a ruling that Mr Nicklinson had not had the right to ask a doctor to end his life. His widow is planning a further appeal.

Mr Lamb who won a battle to join the Nicklinson case also plans to appeal.

But a third paralysed man won his case seeking clearer prosecution guidance for health workers who help others die.

The man, known only as Martin, wants it to be lawful for a doctor or nurse to help him travel abroad to die with the help of a suicide organisation in Switzerland. His wife and other family want no involvement in his suicide.

The director of public prosecutions, who would be required to clarify his guidance, is seeking to appeal to the Supreme Court against the decision in Martin's case.

Speaking by means of special computer software, Martin said he was "delighted" by the judgement.

"It takes me one step closer to being able to decide how and when I end my life. I am only unable to take my own life because of my physical disabilities.

"Almost every aspect of my daily life is outside of my control. I want, at least, to be able to control my death and this judgement goes some way to allow me to do this."

'Conscience of the nation'

In the Nicklinson and Lamb case, the decision centred on whether the High Court was right in originally ruling that Parliament, not judges should decide whether the law on assisted dying should change.

The three Court of Appeal judges unanimously dismissed Mrs Nicklinson and Paul Lamb's challenge.

In the judgement, the Lord Chief Justice Lord Judge said Parliament represented "the conscience of the nation" when it came to addressing life and death issues, such as abortions and the death penalty.

"Judges, however eminent, do not: our responsibility is to discover the relevant legal principles, and apply the law as we find it."

Mr Nicklinson was 58 when he died naturally at his home in Wiltshire last year. His widow Jane, who has continued his fight, told the BBC she was "very, very disappointed" by the ruling, but "not totally surprised".

She added: "We will carry on with the case for as long as we can so that others who find themselves in a position similar to Tony don't have to suffer as he did. Nobody deserves such cruelty.

"Although we lost, the legal team are quite pleased with the outcome - the appeal judges actually upheld a couple of points which the High Court rejected, which is a step forward."

'Too scared'

Paul Lamb wanted the law changed so any doctor who helped him die would have a defence against the charge of murder.

The 57-year-old from Leeds has been almost completely paralysed from the neck down since a car accident 23 years ago and says he is in constant pain.

"I was hoping for a humane and dignified end - this judgement does not give me that," he said.

"I will carry on the legal fight - this is not just about me but about many, many other people who are being denied the right to die a humane and dignified death just because the law is too scared to grapple with these issues."

Saimo Chahal, the solicitor acting for Mrs Nicklinson and Mr Lamb, said there was "no prospect of Parliament adjudicating on the issue any time soon" so Paul's only option was to try to persuade the courts that his concerns were "real and legitimate".

But Dr Andrew Fergusson, of the Care Not Killing campaign group, welcomed the Nicklinson and Lamb ruling, saying: "All three judges were very clear on legal, and I think ethical, grounds as well, that the law, if it's to be changed, must be changed by parliament alone. The courts cannot do it."

The British Humanist Association, which has supported Mr Lamb's case, described the matter as the "most important bioethical issue of our time".

It said it should not fall to people who have "already suffered enough" to fight legal case after legal case. Instead, Parliament and government should be putting the work in on changing the law.

Sarah Wootton, of the Dignity in Dying campaign, urged for some parliamentary debate and for MPs to look at the private members' bill tabled by Lord Falconer for the legalisation of assisted suicide for the terminally ill in England and Wales.

Campaigners for right to die:

* The late Tony Nicklinson was paralysed from the neck down after suffering a stroke while on a business trip to Athens in 2005. After losing his High Court battle, he refused food and died, aged 58, a week later. His widow is continuing his fight.

* Paul Lamb, 58, was paralysed from the neck down after a car accident in 1990. He says he endures pain every single day and does not want to keep living - but he has no way out.

* The anonymous man - or "Martin" - suffered a massive stroke in August 2008, leaving him unable to speak and virtually unable to move. The 48-year-old, who cannot be named for legal reasons, says his life is undignified, distressing and intolerable.

Also found this: _http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1132623/

You Don't Know Jack (2010)
TV Movie - 134 min - Biography | Drama - 24 April 2010 (USA)
A look at the life and work of doctor-assisted suicide advocate Jack Kevorkian.
Director: Barry Levinson
Writer: Adam Mazer
Stars: Al Pacino, Brenda Vaccaro, John Goodman

Dr. Jack Kevorkian (1928 - 2011 ) in the 1990s, when he defies Michigan law assisting the suicide of terminally-ill persons. Support comes from his sister, a lab tech, the Hemlock Society president, and a lawyer. The child of survivors of the Armenian genocide interviews applicants: his sister video tapes them. He assembles a device allowing a person to initiate a three-chemical intravenous drip. The local D.A., the governor, and the Legislature respond. In court scenes, Kevorkian is sometimes antic. He's single-minded about giving dying individuals the right to determine how their lives will end. He wants the Supreme Court to rule. He picks a fight he can't win: is it hubris or heroism?

Related info:

_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voluntary_euthanasia
_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Kevorkian
_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_Don%27t_Know_Jack_%28film%29
_http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007Q35B8K/ref=atv_feed_catalog
_http://www.amazon.com/Kevorkian/dp/B00B193MJK/ref=pd_sim_mov_aiv_1/185-5865840-2018243
_http://www.hbo.com/movies/you-dont-know-jack/index.html

"The family of late locked-in syndrome sufferer Tony Nicklinson and paralysed road accident victim Paul Lamb have lost their right-to-die challenges."

This is very poignant in my life just now, as a few weeks ago I volunteered my time for 2 hours per week
helping the 'friends and family' of a man with Locked-in Syndrome (I'd never heard of it). He apparently had a driving accident when he was 19 and he is now 42. We (a group of 4 or 5) work on a set of exercises to strengthen all of his muscles and help his breathing, for around 2 hours. This is done 6 days a week by various volunteers.

Apparently his brain is ok and he can see and hear, though he seems to have difficulty focusing, the only reactions I have seen is a grimace if the exercise hurts a little, so we slow it down and ask him if we should continue with that particular exercise, he apparently can squeeze (small pressure) for a yes or no reply, though I sometimes think that could be wishful thinking on the requestor's side.

His parent's are very nice people, but in their 60's now and there will come a day when they can't look after his daily needs. One of my first questions when I started was "would he be able to use a computer to convey his messages through his eyes, such as we see in medical documentaries", but it seemed to be a flat "no".

The setup in the home is phenominal in that it traverses 3 rooms of ceiling tracking with electrical switches to move him from bed to special wheel chair to massage tables etc., but sometimes I look at him and think 'do you really want to be here'. This is the time I'd like to be able to converse with him telepathically, intead of him listening to our babble as we work on him.

I can't see a euthanasia system coming to Australian law anytime soon, in fact people have been threatened with charges if they were to assist in the suicide of their loved ones. Having polical parties who's leaders are almost religiously rabid (IMO), it ain't going to happen.

This article caught my attention because right now in South Africa where I live, there is a case of one famous and internationally known man by the name of Nelson Mandela who, at this time, is terminally ill in hospital and is being artificially kept alive by life-support machines. There have even been leaked report about him allegedly being in a permanent vegetative state. Whether these rumours are true or not, one thing remain for certain: all evidences indicate that the old man (who recently turned 95) will very likely never be able to normally function in the society again.

So now the million dollar questions become: why artificially prolong his life if it can no longer serve any purpose? Why shouldn't this lovely old man be allowed to rest in peace like every other dying person? Wouldn't it be better for his soul to be released from his body so it can proceed in its learning journey? Why try to delay his impending and inevitable death at all cost? Is forcing him to stay alive (in a Zombie-like state) a way of honouring his dignity and freewill, or is it just a sick obsession of those who like to use his influence for various social and political gains? These are some of the questions that very much disturb me vis-a-vis this case.

Before I never really gave much attention to this Euthanasia issue, but as I now begin to seriously consider all the rationales behind this practice, I find myself increasingly leaning toward favouring it. It now seems to me that everyone should be allowed to check out with dignity if their health state makes it impossible for their soul to express itself in their current body. It makes sense that the soul should be allowed to exit that body so it can begin to chose a new one in which to reincarnate.

Hi Lindenlea and Loire,

Lindenlea, there is a resident at the carehome I attend who has 'locked in syndrome' too, also from a road traffic accident. Like you, I wonder about the communication issue, but particularly if he or anyone in a similar position is ever asked "what do you really want or need?" The staff are fantastic at this care home, but I feel that 'true compassion and care' does not have to necessarily mean, keeping them comfortable and biologically 'alive'.

What does it really mean to be 'alive'? Under what situation would you choose to die?

The author Terry Prattchet, who has looked at attending a Swiss clinic that enable voluntary death said that for him, he would want to die when he can no longer communicate.

As you wrote Loire:

"So now the million dollar questions become: why artificially prolong his life if it can no longer serve any purpose? Why shouldn't this lovely old man be allowed to rest in peace like every other dying person? Wouldn't it be better for his soul to be released from his body so it can proceed in its learning journey? Why try to delay his impending and inevitable death at all cost? Is forcing him to stay alive (in a Zombie-like state) a way of honouring his dignity and freewill, or is it just a sick obsession of those who like to use his influence for various social and political gains? These are some of the questions that very much disturb me vis-a-vis this case."

Whether it is a respected international statesman like Nelson Mandela, a 'locked in syndrome' sufferer or anyone suffering needlessly contary to their wishes - they all deserve to pass on with dignity. We do it for our beloved 2D pets don't we?

Surely in a more humane world, we would honour the free will of others, and help them pass on with dignity and love. But then, just because someone asks to be helped to die - does not always mean they are always 'Asking'. The Cs say "give all to those who ask" and I am slowly leaning that there is no black/white, good/bad. It seems to come down to the Third Force again and the INTENT for that SPECIFIC situation.

I think we as a society (particularly Western) have been so conditioned to be fearful of death and disability, and this may explain why alot folk shy away from the subject. It would also explain why so many families do 'abandon' elderly and disabled into the 'care system'. It looks to me like traditional family values have been contantly eroded away over years and generations of the pathological PTB. Once having 3 generations living under the same roof was once normal, perhaps mostly from necessity; but it did give alot of opportunties for the natural development of caring and nurturing the most vulnerable in the family unit. Values which are quite obviously lacking in the wider society. But such values may have a place in a Soul Community perhaps, and is that not worth Working toward and striving to reach?

There are some small victories in the courts, but basically I don't see any chance of a radical legal shake up - why would the PTB do that? I do think however that a 'genocide program' dressed up as euthanasia is on the cards though, when food gets very scarce and prohibitively expensive and other systems possibly crash etc. Whats that saying - 'those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it'! Think nazi Germany or Romania under Nicolae Ceaușescu for such examples.

Thank you Palinurus and Dreamrider for your considerate postings of this info. What touched me the most was the unselfishness and intentions of those who shared the most vulnerable and intimate passages from this world.To have access to this Swiss facility is also a privilege I think.

I have to say I had so many mixed emotions going on, but the biggest was the joy in my present breath, no matter how crummy I may feel, but to know there is always this option. I may be in a position where I may not be able to meditate myself into oblivion. The questions I have are, "Am I denying myself or others of necessary lessons?", should this come up personally. I suppose one cannot know til you know.

Its seems that yes, we are all put to death, but no matter, it is the lessons one learns. The one I had was renewed awareness of this moment and that what is unselfish is oftentimes hard, but with it comes an opening to a higher dimensional shift in consciousness, love. At least I experienced gratitude and it made me recall my selfishness at some of the instances where I could of assisted people more who were in pain with various diseases by being more present to their needs, rather than being less attentive. This one person , ME, was brought to a tearful and conscious awakening of my shortcomings and how I have the opportunity to love better. This was all about loving better and sharing intimacy and making decisions while not shutting loved ones out for me , at least at this time. I am glad it is being so brought out in the open, in the courts, and on this forum.

Some of the most majorly giving moments were when I worked with the dying, AIDS patients. I maybe received more that I gave, I don't know, but none ever voiced so adamantly about wishing for death. They voiced what hurt, thew tiredness, sadness, a gamut of emotion. Mostly what I gleaned was trust in the process. Many were accepting, so it's really always different. Then again they didn't have the choice. Had they had it I think many would of gone. When it's not an option all sorts of processing and life continues. For ones with constant pain, I think it's common sense to leave. A lot of money is involved with illness, so it will never be legal without proving cruel and unusual punishment, and I think it will be very select. ALS and muscular distrophy, multiple sclerosis maybe. Alzheimer's? Not for ages. Too many people get it and too much money is made. Provides too many jobs. Remember where we are, so it might take a millennium. By then we won't need it.

It was also interesting to watch the process of decision making on the Terry Pratchett vid and watch the neverending chances at learning and being. Thanks again. Maybe this is why Switzerland comes to my mind so much!

Good literature on this specific subject seems scarce. Perhaps the following, although more general in scope, might be helpful:

A monograph (ca. 100 pages) entitled The Loneliness of the Dying written by Professor of Sociology Norbert Elias, published in 1985 and republished as a paperback in 2001.
Norbert Elias himself died in 1990.

amazon said:
... this is a short meditation by a great old man on people relating to other people who are dying, and the need for all of us to open up.

Three reviews are available, with two of them suggesting other authors and titles worth reading.

Sources:
_http://www.amazon.com/Loneliness-Dying-Norbert-Elias/dp/0826413730/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top/186-8846049-255676

_http://www.amazon.com/Norbert-Elias/e/B001IQXA5M/ref=ntt_dp_epwbk_0
_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norbert_Elias
_http://www.norberteliasfoundation.nl/

Hope this helps a bit.

Thanks for this topic, it brings up a lot of thoughts for me, especially about my late grandfather, who I know wanted to die because of his illness. He has even been quite mad at a couple of doctors once for resuscitating him, causing quite the stir in the family. Everybody was quite emotional over the fact that he didn't want to be resuscitated, which of course was quite the in your face indication that he wanted to die, which generated al kind of reactions like how awful it was for him to want that and how selfish it was of him, and how he wasn't thinking about the other family members and stuff like that. Then when he finally died at age 79 some family members were almost glad he died, because of the bad relationship they had had with him... I think I was one of the few persons in my family who understood him, and understood why he wanted out of it. He had severe reumatoid artritis, he had had it since he was 35 and was in constant suffering, with the disease progressively getting worse every year.

I know about one film that handles the subject, it's called "Simon" and is a Dutch movie from 2004. It's a 'normal' movie, not a documentary. I remember seeing it in a theater back then and being quite impressed by it.

_http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0393775/

Thanks for sharing your story with us, Mechanic.
People who want to die are often misunderstood by others, especially their next of kin, mostly for selfish or egotistical reasons according to my personal experience.

The film you mentioned caused quite a stir -- in a positive fashion, mind you.

It won four Dutch film awards (Gouden Kalveren, i.e. Golden Calves) for best movie, best actor, best direction and the audience award (publieksprijs).
It was also sent in as the Dutch contender at the Academy Awards (Oscars) of 2005 in the category Best Foreign Language Film but didn't make it into the nomination phase.

Back
Top Bottom