Especially for cat lovers!

JEEP

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Way down deep, we're all motivated by the same urges. Cats have the courage to live by them. --Jim Davis, creator of Garfield.

I thought this was a great quote! Although I'm actually partial to dogs, I did briefly have a cat for a pet mostly because my request to have a dog went unanswered and I just happened to get a kitten by unusual circumstances. However, what's funny is that I'm almost convinced that my current pet, a second generation labradoodle, was a cat in a previous life! He does so many cat-like things that I've never observed in dogs either previously owned by me or that I had a close relationship with. It could be he just has a very strong prey instinct just as cats do. But it is so funny to see him go into "stalk" mode! Fortunately, he does not have the typical aloof personality of most cats, but is extremely lovable and an absolute joy in our lives!

JEEP said:
Fortunately, he does not have the typical aloof personality of most cats, but is extremely lovable and an absolute joy in our lives!

My two cats are not aloof at all. If anything, the one gets under my feet and follows me around like a dog. They both sleep right beside me at night. They are very curious and want to "neb" at anything new that I bring into the house. Perhaps some cats stay out of the way more than dogs (and are percieved as aloof) because they are smaller than most dogs and more intimidated by "larger" people?

Mrs. Peel said:
My two cats are not aloof at all.

You know, I really didn't adequately think about that aloof characterization. I should have thought more about the many pictures that members have posted and their obviously affectionate and very interactive cats! No aloofness to be found! Cats rule! And besides, dogs can't purr! :thup:

JEEP said:
Mrs. Peel said:
My two cats are not aloof at all.

You know, I really didn't adequately think about that aloof characterization. I should have thought more about the many pictures that members have posted and their obviously affectionate and very interactive cats! No aloofness to be found! Cats rule! And besides, dogs can't purr! :thup:

I think its a weird combination of aloofness, goofiness, and interacting consciousness at all sorts of odd levels. :D I have a dog with distinct mannerisms of a cat: he will only listen for a specific amount of time, then he has to go off on his own 'business'. And a cat that behaves very much like a dog: she will play fetch, is very affectionate, and is a 'talker'. The dog loves routine and is upset when its changed, does not like new things (unless it involves a car ride and cookies and cute women that are not me), and is very territorial. The cat turns into a nightmare beastie when she can see the bottom of her food dish, or its near five in the morning and its time to get up. She sleeps on my head, and will fart in my face.

The dog, if he does fart, will get up with a guilty expression, tail tucked, and immediately go to the back door to go outside.

They are both characters, and I love them dearly. (I just have to watch what they eat very carefully. :lol: )

Gimpy said:
She sleeps on my head, and will fart in my face.

The dog, if he does fart, will get up with a guilty expression, tail tucked, and immediately go to the back door to go outside.

:rotfl: :lol2:

I had such a good and heartfelt laugh here, Gimpy, thanks for that! They really some characters, man..!

Oh, goodness no, my cats are not aloof either! But there are some who still think so:

A while back, I read some guy's blog post (_http://www.11points.com/Dating-Sex/11_Red_Flags_You_Should_Be_Able_To_Spot_Within_Three_Dates) advising other guys to beware of women who have cats. His reasoning was:
"Buying a cat is a serious statement. Cats are an antisocial animal (versus dogs, who are the ultimate social animal)...Dogs run up and love when you pet them, a cat plays hard to get...

...So when I see a cat person, I see someone who doesn't have the emotional development to be in a real, reciprocated relationship... it'll always be an unhealthy chase or conquest to earn minor tokens of affection. The person's compulsively lonely and desperate for you to fill the void, and fill it ASAP."

(Ironically, he includes a photo of a woman with cats climbing all over her! I guess that is an example of cats playing hard to get.)

My husband and I have both gotten so much laughter mileage from this comment! We think maybe it was a typy as our cats "play hard to get rid of". Either of us can sit down in any empty room in the house and within minutes, we will have a cat on us.

We theorize that you gotta bring something to the table or the cat will ignore you. Perhaps he does not know how to relate to cats and only expects them to give to him rather than that "reciprocal relationship" he speaks of so highly!

Puzzle said:
Gimpy said:
She sleeps on my head, and will fart in my face.

:rotfl: :lol2:

I had such a good and heartfelt laugh here, Gimpy, thanks for that! They really some characters, man..!

:lol: Geez, I'm cat&dog person, and definitely believe Gimpy is on a trace of real understanding of cat&dog characters, dogs do feel guilty indeed, cats are big time hedonists and care only for their own well being and probably it's my own fault but I love cats even more than dogs, why, I really can't say, sometimes I believe it's some 2D STS hypnosis :lol: :evil:

jubazo said:
:lol: Geez, I'm cat&dog person, and definitely believe Gimpy is on a trace of real understanding of cat&dog characters, dogs do feel guilty indeed, cats are big time hedonists and care only for their own well being and probably it's my own fault but I love cats even more than dogs, why, I really can't say, sometimes I believe it's some 2D STS hypnosis :lol: :evil:

LOL ...I understand the whole 2D-3D concept, but I'm still not convinced I'm more evolved and aware than my cat. I'd like to think so, but I have to look at just who is sifting through a box of sand with a fine tooth scoop looking for the others poop ya know?

Guardian said:
jubazo said:

LOL ...I understand the whole 2D-3D concept, but I'm still not convinced I'm more evolved and aware than my cat. I'd like to think so, but I have to look at just who is sifting through a box of sand with a fine tooth scoop looking for the others poop ya know?

:lol: Oh you're right, and feeling the same, especially early in the morning before going to work but with the same tools of trade for messy "poop" business........,......but than again, on some "rainy days" they make me smile and I forgot the morning actions immediately of all cat-a-clysmic rascals :lol2:.

Hmmmm, my experience is cats aren't all that aloof. They like to watch you and not let on that they are watching you. When I wanted my cats to come out of hiding, all I had to do was go into the kitchen and rattle some dishes. Poof, there they were.

"Hey, are you gonna give us some food? Huh? Huh? Huh?”

I also have to laugh at myself when I came home with some cat toy. I'd be all excited opening whatever and presenting it to them. They'd look at it for a couple of seconds then back at me with a look that I interpreted as, "Uhhh, o-tay. Now, you wanna hurry and empty the paper bags so I can play in them. I like the crinkly noise they make." So much for that shiny new toy. Quite unnecessary. Sometimes they would humor me tho' and bat the toy around for a few seconds, then bored, they'd wander off. Except for the laser pointer; they liked that one.

Or, put on some music and dance and they look at you very calmly, but I'm convinced I see concern in their eyes. I imagine them thinking, "Oh dear, my human is possessed! I'm trapped in this place with some whacked out human. Think I'll go crawl under the stairs and ponder possible escape routes.”

Oh yes, and they were very good at reminding you that it is bedtime. Amazing how precise their internal clocks are once they get your routine figured out. And they would snuggle up on the bed and anxiously wait for you to crawl in with them. Once they were satisfied that YOU were down for the night, THEY promptly hopped off the bed and chased each other up and down the dark hall crashing into stuff.

Sometimes I think cats make a good mirror. The way they will look at you like, "do you really mean that?" or "what on earth were you thinking?" or "now, you know better." And they have the calm, cool, collected, "Who, me???" look down pat.

Also, George Carlin did some very humorous comparisons on cats and dogs. Some can be found on YouTube.

Back
Top Bottom