Escape from L.A.

Lone herbal witch

Jedi Master
Hello,
Just saw this old 1996 action packed movie named Escape from L.A.
Not a great movie but the reason I'm reporting it is that it echoes what we are experiencing these days. It is filled to the brim in symbolism that are ever present now in our lives.
An American post-apocalyptic action movie co-written and directed by John Carpenter.
The protagonist is Kurt Russell with an all star cast including Stacey Keach, Cliff Robertson, Pam Grier, etc.

The plot consist of a criminal (Kurt Russell) who is recruited/forced by a fascist President (Robertson) to retrieve an important black box that his daughter, Utopia (dressed in pink as in Clueless and blonde to boot) has stolen and escaped to L.A. which at this time is an island after a massive earthquake rendered the city of L.A. and its surrounding cut off from the main land of US. This black box contains a remote for a weapon controlled by satellites rendering all electronic equipment in the world mute/dysfunctional and therefore, forcing humanity to render themselves into the Dark Ages.

The Island is run by a Peruvian named Cuervo Jones (dressed like Che Vera) who takes hold of that remote and the girl, of course and wants to attack the US mainland with the same strategy.

Without given away the plot, it is a typical action packed movie in the style we would expect from an American producer. However, there are a few scenes that brought to me the reality of our present world:
Fascist president: he is heartless, psychopathic, sees his daughter as an enemy, holds a bible in his hands when he sees events that should have proven him right do not, even the military equipment bear the symbol of a Fascist Eagle.
Island: it is completely destroyed and used as a deportation Centre fort undesirable. No one can cross there unless the military says so. Even the "hero" is given a one-man submarine to go to the island to kill the daughter and retrieve the box.

Sorry, was not finished:
The island has fallen in anarchy: lots of guns, no families, no one lives in homes, lots of destroyed vehicles, innocent people are used as entertainment for "Che Geverra" faction while the rest of the island is divided in bands or gangs who pursue/kill each other in car races.

It's funny how they portray L.A.: lots of prostitutes, surfers on the beaches, people living underground to escape, hospitals are for medical plastic surgeries for those who can afford it.

Of course the hero comes through but at what cost? The symbolisms in this movie is astounding. I don't like it per say, but I was concentrating on how this movie portrays different nationalities, what the city of L.A. represents, what is Hollywood, fascists and anarchists developments, the daughter of the president represented as a Clueless, etc.
As stated above, it was done in 1996; just a few years after the Cs started communicating their info. It is a reflection of what is going on right now. Phew. It is really not a recommendation but if you see it, you can see the parallels issues with today.

@Lone herbal witch....There was a 1st of those movies, which I liked at the time, 1981, called, "Escape From New York." Also directed by John Carpenter. I remember that one more vividly. It stared Kurt Russell, Lee Van Cleef, Ernest Borgnine, Donald Pleasence, Isaac Hayes, Adrienne Barbeau, and Harry Dean Stanton. NY was a prison, with a huge wall around it. His character was Snake...yeah...that one stuck in my mind.

I grew up with Kurt Russell, sort of...he started in tv, 1960s, on to Disney movies...and I think he did a few with John Carpenter...who's movies I liked...JC composed/played instruments for the rock scores of his movies....He had Buckethead play guitar in the score for the movie, "Ghosts of Mars."

Funnily I thought about Escape from New York the other day, and then I remembered there was a sequel, Escape from LA. It came to my mind via my research about ULEZ, 15 min Cities, C40 Cities.. u name it (that is their preferred tactic, keep it confusing by using many names for the same)...just a quick thought

@Lone herbal witch....There was a 1st of those movies, which I liked at the time, 1981, called, "Escape From New York." Also directed by John Carpenter. I remember that one more vividly. It stared Kurt Russell, Lee Van Cleef, Ernest Borgnine, Donald Pleasence, Isaac Hayes, Adrienne Barbeau, and Harry Dean Stanton. NY was a prison, with a huge wall around it. His character was Snake...yeah...that one stuck in my mind.

I grew up with Kurt Russell, sort of...he started in tv, 1960s, on to Disney movies...and I think he did a few with John Carpenter...who's movies I liked...JC composed/played instruments for the rock scores of his movies....He had Buckethead play guitar in the score for the movie, "Ghosts of Mars."
Thanks for giving me an update. I never saw these movies before. It simply made me realize that the story line echoes somewhat or parallels our realities now and they were produced in around when the Cs started contacting L. Many similarities!
Kurt Russell was a great ticket master in his time: handsome, funny, fit, hero type.... I preferred him in Overboard. He was really cute in that one.
If Escape from New York is showing, i'll try to see it. If any movie appear at the same time as hockey, i cannot watch! :rotfl: In our house, it is his TV so he comes first!:bye: And he dislikes movies of that caliber.

. I preferred him in Overboard. He was really cute in that one.
Oh yeah...I can watch that romantic comedy over and over. He and Goldie Hawn have been together 40 years...no wonder such chemistry between them on film.

Here's a little bit of trivia on Escape From NY....I did like this film....Carpenter did great
sci-fi...And how many still reference his movie, "They Live?"

Back
Top Bottom