English language

K I hear you, I hear you. Is that what you want? , haven't a clue. You see, I don't mean to be implying anything about superiority of any kind. You have have every right to have an opinion, as do I. I am simply stating my 'opinion'. This isn't because of any historical document I read, or research I've done. This is from experience, in scale of the life's long breath of livingness. This essentially means the memory from a generational lineage, reaching far back. Livingness in this context is whatever you understand it to be. Which it already is, so there is no point to 'discuss' or explain anything in that regard. The point about language was in regard to contrasts. In world view. The world view contrast is from oral to written 'histories', languages, ways of being, which in effect is the different sounds of people. We cannot see consciousness, but we know we are living. We only know the effect of the movement; which in this context is sound in the form of language. Communication is not about whether or not you can project ideas, or demonstrate a behaviour pattern (writing). Communication is about the language of life itself, pattern recognition, intuition, beingness, caring for each other, sustaining the whole. In true communication the I eventually becomes the We. In this way, 'the wave' in my 'opnion' is that change, in whatever form it manifests.

Taking a step back:

I know what etymology is. It is obvious, because I know English is from a borrowed source.
An example is the word 'explain'. Explain was used an expression for an unraveling of something:
QUOTE (http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=explain)
"early 15c., from L. explanare "to make level, smooth out;" also "to explain, make clear" (see explanation). Originally explane, spelling altered by influence of plain. In 17c., occasionally used more literally, of the unfolding of material things: Evelyn has buds that "explain into leaves" ["Sylva, or, A discourse of forest-trees, and the propagation of timber in His Majesties dominions," 1664]."

It is now understood differently when they were first used. It is used to 'make comprehensible', but originally was in an active state, like making a tool, or table, or chair, or window or building there is all differences all over the place.

Qoute: http://www.wordnik.com/words/explain
"–verb-transitive
To make plain or comprehensible.
To define; expound: We explained our plan to the committee.
To offer reasons for or a cause of; justify: explain an error.
To offer reasons for the actions, beliefs, or remarks of (oneself).
–verb-intransitive
To make something plain or comprehensible: Let me explain.
–phrasal-verb
explain away To dismiss or get rid of by or as if by explaining.
explain away To minimize by explanation."

There is one mentality in particular that seeks to be sovreign over many other mentalites that is all, doesn't matter the race. I go to thia level, for this is my clan, the turtle. I know of my inherent gifts, which is the gift of knowing wisdom, most likely beyond the range of experience. This might mean nothing, but just like social norms, there is a respected value and quality within the gift of individuality within my 'world view', and others sharing the a similar understanding, as it really exists as. Which is like world view, but in another form. Although it may not occur to you that there is wisdom in this world that does not rely on paper. There are some people that although they knew not what they do, genocidally through spiritual warfare have caused many turmoils. I have but one responsibility, to understand. I know who I am, and why I am, where I am, How I came here, and these are simple things when you understand. When a man looks at the world without judgement, he will see. He Will Cry, and He Will Cry again for he learns of understanding.
On this site, they talk about people without feeling. Pyschopaths, I'm sure that's the word. I know I am not this really. Although, and I am being honest, I feel Insane. I am not perfect, but my conjectue is that we all exhibit those traits, because of what is occuring around us. Don't you see, we are the Earth!!!! We are the only ones on the planet who don't know who we are. We are the only one causing what it happening and what is to happen. Why are we looking out into the big vastness of Space, or lack there of, when we cannot even do what is needed so, so obviously.
This isn't about you individually per se, whoever you are. I appreciate you, whoever you are.

Things change because there is an order that is even pre-ancient, not the order in the supposed 'people in the know' describe.

I appreciate this site because although I can see obvious pathology, there is a reminent of what once was and still is through You the livingness. And this is coming from the memory of the first world, not the world that was created in spite of it. My blood remembers beyond what I've experienced. I cannot prove in linearity, in anyway other than expressing what is inside. You, inside yourself are 'right' regardless, but it is you outside that can manipulate you on the inside, because it is only a projection. The information that we as human beings have been getting from the external source is tainted in contrast with the original identity that resides in everyone. Somewhere. Could be everywhere. How would you know unless you know who you are and why you are.

I do not mean anything linearity, just to be out of firing range. If you can accept that.
This isn't about me, This is about ME, and who Me really is, and who WE are. I dont know what originally I was speaking about, but English language is where I put this because this is was only place to put such a contrast in world view. Understanding that the what becomes the why in meaning.

Who knows, really. There is always an unknown. We are an insane race. Truly. We are so afraid of this unknown factor, that we cannot accept it as a part of ourselves. That part that is our 'higher selves', 'spirit', 'life-force that permeates life.' and I Love You, whoever you are. I dont mean I am giving love to you. that is not love, I just Love
you.
Please do not take my words in anyway way that is unsuitable in any way unsuitable to You, who ever You are.

waasekom said:
Also within the oral language is the 'classifications' of personages which creates another contrast.
In OJIBWE, oral language, there are 7 personages and in English there are 3.
In OJIBWE, most of the vocabulary is considered living. Verbs in particular, are living functioning things. It is said that the majority the language of Ojibwe is verbs or linking verbs.

In Serbian and Croatian (oral and written) there is 8, and everyone of them can be used in 7 different ways. Every word can have male and female end and most of the personal names are descriptive. If you want to express some of yours more complicate emotions, there is no phrase or idioms that can help you, you must construct original sentences from words.

So, I would say that languages are really relative mater, and with that maybe not so important. English is good for communication, because its easy to learn it.

waasekom, I think I partly understand what you are trying to say. If I am correct, you are fighting an uphill battle. At least, until you become very proficient in the English. In general, native English speakers have a hard time understanding the native mindset of the Chippewa, Cree and especially Hopi.

Even my Cree friend, whose first language was his native Cree, before he was taken by the State and fostered to adulthood, cannot easily translate between the two languages because the differences in how each sees and understands the world run very deep.

Correct me if I am wrong, but it looks like you are trying to point out that English is noun-based and mostly about categorizing and describing things. The Ojibwe, like many other Native languages, are mostly single-word 'legends' - stories, complete with processes and actions all about man and nature in the various relationships that concern the people most.

Ojibwe, like Cree and Hopi, mainly have verbs - which need legends to define them. It takes years to learn the language because all the legends have to be learned. Also, since the words represent the legends, the Oral Tradition causes the language to come alive through the richness of the experience as it is told by the teachers. This not only aids memory, but involves all the senses of the student so that he actually embodies his understanding.

Is this what you mean by language as 'living experience'?

RE: Bud.

Yes.
The question is how can you see on the other side, in this case is Living and nonLiving

It's like when you and are having an conversation, or doing something, or whatever it is or could be.
SO you have object and/or objective, represented by a Cup. From where you are sitting you could see a handle or recognize information from that place where you sit. And as we converse, I may tell you that I do not see the handle, and I tell you that you are wrong because I see the picture on the otherside.

We wouldnt get very far if we didn't share the Cup, more specifically the information or whatever, it is on that other side to see the whole.

So we cannot go anywhere, or reach any understanding of the whole until we understand ourselves and how we fit within the whole.

waasekom said:
So we cannot go anywhere, or reach any understanding of the whole until we understand ourselves and how we fit within the whole.

Well, that's what I thought and I agree. In my personal, daily life, I find it rather exhausting to keep explaining this stuff to people in order to resolve conflicts and get people back in harmony. I also spend time trying to bridge the gap between ADHD and non-ADHD perspectives.

I have seen 50 winters and I am getting tired. :D

Anyway, glad you jumped in. Looking forward to learning with you. :)

Arbitrium Liberum said:
In Serbian and Croatian (oral and written) there is 8, and everyone of them can be used in 7 different ways. Every word can have male and female end and most of the personal names are descriptive. If you want to express some of yours more complicate emotions, there is no phrase or idioms that can help you, you must construct original sentences from words.

So, I would say that languages are really relative mater, and with that maybe not so important. English is good for communication, because its easy to learn it.

it is relative, but is not matter per se. But it does matter because there are contrasts to be made. We have individuality as nations, as well as on a smaller scale, ourself, which consists of groups of cells, organs, which all identify with I and We. Male and Female qualities, Known and Unknown.

In the language that was a gift from the people I originated, I am known as Waasekom.
this is not a title, it was dreamt before I was born. It is also discriptive.

waasekom said:
In the language that was a gift from the people I originated, I am known as Waasekom.
this is not a title, it was dreamt before I was born. It is also discriptive.

And what about previous lives, many of which were lived in other cultures and other languages?

What about them?

I am who I am in this life. Why would I come here to relearn about those lives I already lived.

Its like a large pie., each piece of that pie is divided into the different forms of you entire life experience.
Once you make your way through the 'life times' and can complete it, you come full circle and then go into the middle. Which is why the nhumber 13 is 'taboo' because it is the piece of the circle that goes to the next stage and begins the same but on a larger or smaller scale.

Right now, I am here, in this life. Perhaps I was a mother or a father, but for now I am a son. It doesn't reallly matter about the role that you are because it reallys comes down to consciousness remembering that it is consciousness.

Re: Laura, you have interesting work. The wave series especially.

BTW, I was on your mass index site, and There was something called the french connection, censored. I wonder, if that has anything to do with St. Sulpice or his chateau?

Depends on who you ask -- the ease with which you learn a language depends a lot on how close it is to your native or already-acquired second language (and, of course, your innate ability). Some people really struggle with it at first. English did do everyone the favor of shedding most of it's original morphological complexity, though (meaning there's less verb conjugation and things like that, like you see in most other European languages). And yes, as far as reading goes, it (like French) is pretty phonetically opaque -- which can make it tough for the beginner!

It can be more than that. It can be cultural. For example: I am a native french speaker but my family is from Spain. When we went to live in Canada we lived in Quebec, a french province. English was perceive by the french Canadians as the language of the dominant, the Power, the American and British Empires. My father refused to put us in an English school for that reason so for me English has been a very difficult language to learn. I refused during many years to learn English because it was also a question of adaptation to speak just french. A question to be part of a culture, so a question of survival. It still very difficult for me to speak a correctly English and to write a good English. However I love to read English, I think its a very beautiful language. When you want to speak well in a language you have to think in that language, for me its impossible to think in English, that's my problem.

Depends on who you ask -- the ease with which you learn a language depends a lot on how close it is to your native or already-acquired second language (and, of course, your innate ability). Some people really struggle with it at first. English did do everyone the favor of shedding most of it's original morphological complexity, though (meaning there's less verb conjugation and things like that, like you see in most other European languages). And yes, as far as reading goes, it (like French) is pretty phonetically opaque -- which can make it tough for the beginner!

Again I made an error concerning the quote. I'm so sorry. I put here the quote of my answer. I feel terrible. :-[

This is a fascinating thread!

My mother language is Farsi but I learned English at a very early age, so English has become almost second nature to me. I think in English (most of the time) I only write in English. I kind of forgot how to write Farsi over the years, because when I moved to Canada I chose to forget Farsi in order to 'make room' for English. I kind of regret it now... and would one day like to perhaps learn it again. I do speak Farsi, though somewhat broken. I can understand it VERY well, but I can't speak it as well as I understand it. Like Laura, I have to think about what I'm going to say first in English- then translate it in my head in Farsi and communicate.

One thing I've always found quite funny/interesting is the translation of certain things from Farsi to English that are conveyed in one or two words, express an entire sentence in English. For example: the saying "jat khali"

jat (informal) = your place jaye shoma (formal)= your place
khali = empty (formal/informal)

Let's say a few people are going out and and they invite one of their friend (Timmy) to come with them. But Timmy can't go, so they go without him. Later they are talking to Timmy after the event, and Timmy asks so how was it? And the answer comes, "it was fun, your place was empty." Meaning you were missed and everyone thought about you the entire time there.

That line of thought is expressed SO well in Farsi using those 2 simple words. But in English it makes no sense at all!

I've been trying to learn Japanese and I must say it's pretty easy for me to pick it up, but I can't imagine ever learning German even though German has very close sounds to Farsi, particularly the kh sound. But maybe that's because I just really love the Japanese language. Japanese also has a lot of similarities to Farsi. An example being that in Japanese you have both formal and informal way of speaking, and just like in Farsi- you're taught the formal first, and informal second.

ps: Writing about how things sound is hard :nuts:

Laura said:
For me, English is actually a super interesting language because it is a hybrid and we have information about its hybridization available to us. Many other languages are hybrids also, but far in the past and we have lost the clues. We can learn how these things occur organically by tracking what happens with English.

What is also interesting is that there is a very old language that is still spoken that is almost identical to English: Frisian.

Explain that.

Taking a look at _http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Atlas_of_European_history there are a long series of historic maps from different sources. A few give one ideas as how to explain a link between the English and the Frisian language:

The first map is imported from the German Wikipedia:
Map shows the migrations in Europa from 200 till 500 AD
800px-Karte_v%C3%B6lkerwanderung.jpg
The area from where the Anglos came on the continent was a part of Denmark until 1864. It is called Schleswig-Holstein, and is today the northern most part of Germany. For an outline map: _http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Schleswig-Holstein

There are various sources used for the next artwork which one can find on _http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Invasions_of_the_Roman_Empire_1.png The main difference from the other maps is that the Jutes, another Germanic tribe, invaded Britain at the same time as the Anglos and the Saxons.
800px-Invasions_of_the_Roman_Empire_1.png

The last is a presentation of what Europe might have looked like in 526 AD, I included it because one can see where the Frisians are and one can also see that the Anglos and Saxons control most of what is know as England, that is leaving aside Scotland and Wales.
761px-Europe_526.jpg

This image is a part of a map from the map collection of the Perry-Castañeda Library (PCL) of the University of Texas at Austin.

So if Frisian language is similar to English it can be explained by people from Frisland having remnants of the language that was spoken by the Anglos, the Saxons or the Jutes and that somehow the Anglos etc. who moved from the continent gained so much influence in Britain that their language became a strong influence in the hybrid language we today know as English, or should we really say Anglish?

Long time reader at SOTT - recommended site in my world view. I miss the old format headlines though...

English is indeed a fascinating study.

From my perception, English is a deeply Qaballistic language and should be viewed and studied as such. The idea of fusing letters to numbers to sounds enables for the transmission of esoteric "truths" to be silently carried to the four corners without having to encode such truths into stone - which may be destroyed with time or through planned destructions or plain ignorance. Remember the "giant Budda" that was blown up by the "Taliban"?

It is clear (to me) that English is a hyper-dimensional binary code set into sound and shape (the letters and their phonetic relations). Letters have meanings, archetypes, gender orientations, and so forth.

What is missing in the historical puzzle is the influence of Secret Societies on the language.

Just a simple analysis of the Letters reveals precise patterns based on a most important constant - PI.

The Letters are divided into asymmetrical and symmetrical design.

The asymmetrical letters of "BCDEFG", for instance, are mirrored against an equal 6 digit letter string of symmetrical letters "TUVWXY". These are clues to the larger esoteric construction and design.

When we pair these Letters, we reveal PI.

JKL = 3
M
N = 1
O
PQRS = 4
TUVWXY
Z = 1
A
BCDEFG = 6
HI

This is a clear and rational pattern.

JKL N PQRS Z BCDEFG = 3.1416

Words have, then, esoteric constructions that further support the design. Some schools of Freemasonry posited the idea of "The Pi Proportion", a way of encoding Pi into words via astronomic observation.

Words are esoteric cryptograms - not based on Phi as Eisen posited in his word English Qabalah, but rather, Pi.

For instance, if we view the Letter D, we can trace the phonetic back equally to Egypt, which showed the phonetic "t" as being as the Letter D rolled 90 degrees to the left. This is the SUN as it appears on the horizon.

HORIZON, then, becomes a form of esoteric cryptogram, or code.

H is as the Greek Letter Pi
ORIZ = ZIRO = ZERO
ON = ON(E)

The word HORIZON has an esoteric construction of "I, the Greek Letter Pi, am comprised of the Zero and the One".

IMO, English comes to life when one applies Hermetic and Qaballistic insights into the design

Hi TheFetch,

Welcome to our forum. :)

We recommend all new members to post an introduction in the Newbies section telling us a bit about themselves, how they found the cass material, and how much of the work here they have read.

You can have a look through that board to see how others have done it.

This article appears linked here --

_http://www.livescience.com/5342-oldest-english-words-revealed.html

Oldest English Words Revealed?

A game of Scrabble might not have been all that different in Stone Age times.

Using a computer simulation, a British researcher says he's examined the rate of change of words in languages to reveal the oldest English-sounding words, which would have been used by Stone Age humans 20,000 years ago.

Among the Stone Age words that presumably would've sounded then much like they do now in the English language: I, we, two and three.

The study concludes that the frequency with which a word is used relates to how slowly it changes through time, so that the most common words tend to be the oldest ones. While it cannot necessary predict exactly what words were used 20,000 years ago — there's little to go on, since writing was invented only about 5,000 years ago — it makes some interesting guesses.

"We have lists of words that linguists have produced for us that tell us if two words in related languages actually derive from a common ancestral word," said Mark Pagel, an evolutionary biologist at the University of Reading, in a BBC article. "We have descriptions of the ways we think words change and their ability to change into other words, and those descriptions can be turned into a mathematical language."

The ability to speak arose about 300,000 years ago, scientists think, thanks to a pair of anatomical changes that separate humans from other primates: the development of the hyoid bone, which supports the tongue, and a drop in the larynx that made it easier to choke but also easier to speak.

The computer program's reasoning, arguably speculative, predicts words that will eventually become extinct too, because they are changing rapidly nowadays: squeeze, guts, stick and bad.

"You type in a date in the past or in the future and it will give you a list of words that would have changed going back in time or will change going into the future," Professor Pagel told BBC News.

Pagel thinks some of the simple words (like the first list above) involve sounds that may have been in use 40,000 years ago.

For the record, the most common five words used in English today, according to "The Reading Teachers Book of Lists": the, of, and, a, to.

Back
Top Bottom