EMDR?

T

Tammy

Hello Everyone,

Next week I have an appointment for EMDR therapy, I am hoping to bring out and deal with some suppressed memories from my childhood. I understand this therapy is fairly new. I am hoping someone has had some experience with this and can give me some feedback.

Thanks,
Tammy

Tammy wrote:
Next week I have an appointment for EMDR therapy, I am hoping to bring out and deal with some suppressed memories from my childhood. I understand this therapy is fairly new. I am hoping someone has had some experience with this and can give me some feedback.

Hi Tammy et. al.
I had a positive experience with EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing) a few years ago when my parents and grandmother all died within eighteen months. EMDR therapy helped me work through my grief and old issues with the family. Go to emdr.com for information on the process which in essence is the therapist evoking a mind-body-emotion connection through hand movement that helps the patient bring up buried issues for reprocessing and release. I felt relaxed afterward like some uncomfortable pain or pressure had been relieved--and it had! Read up on it first so you're prepared. A few testimonials report some negative experiences--geni out of the bottle sort of thing, but my experience and almost all of the experiences that I am aware of report good results.
good Luck
shellycheval

knowledge_of_self said:
could you please specify what EMDR stands for.... i guess the therapy is fairly new. :)
Nina
Hi Nina,
Yes, I believe so, which is why I was wondering if anyone had info to share with me. I haven't heard too many negative things regarding EMDR therapy and what I have come across seem pretty minor in nature from my point of view.

According to http://www.emdr.com/q&a.htm#q1
1. What is EMDR?
Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) is a psychotherapy treatment that was originally designed to alleviate the distress associated with traumatic memories (Shapiro, 1989a, 1989b). Shapiro’s (2001) Adaptive Information Processing model posits that EMDR facilitates the accessing and processing of traumatic memories to bring these to an adaptive resolution. After successful treatment with EMDR, affective distress is relieved, negative beliefs are reformulated.

I have researched this as much as possible but am by nature very cautious and so I am stepping out of my comfort zone. I figure you can not have too much information.

Tammy

shellycheval said:
Tammy wrote:

Hi Tammy et. al.
I had a positive experience with EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing) a few years ago when my parents and grandmother all died within eighteen months. EMDR therapy helped me work through my grief and old issues with the family. Go to emdr.com for information on the process which in essence is the therapist evoking a mind-body-emotion connection through hand movement that helps the patient bring up buried issues for reprocessing and release. I felt relaxed afterward like some uncomfortable pain or pressure had been relieved--and it had! Read up on it first so you're prepared. A few testimonials report some negative experiences--geni out of the bottle sort of thing, but my experience and almost all of the experiences that I am aware of report good results.
good Luck
shellycheval
Shelly.
Thank you for the input. My goal is to resolve some family issues and it is reassuring to hear that your experience was positive. I am glad you were willing to share.

Tammy

shellychevalwrote: A few testimonials report some negative experiences--geni out of the bottle sort of thing, but my experience and almost all of the experiences that I am aware of report good results.

I just want to clarify that the only negaitivity I am aware of regarding EMDR was a couple comments in some online forums that reported they were aware of someone who experienced an overload of emotional issues that they couldn't deal with--but as I recall it sounded to me like there were other more severve psychological issuses involved.
shellycheval

Back
Top Bottom