educating children

notanothermonday

Padawan Learner
I may need further education before being capable of such a feat and would love book recommendations on how to raise children in these times or suggestions on how to help them become aware of the world around them without scaring the tar out of them. Frankly I do not think I am doing a very good job and need some creative thoughts and books on how to be a better Dad.

they are 16, 11, 6, 4 and 20 months. yes there are that many. the link from Vulcan looks like it will be helpful. Books for the two oldest would be most important.

notanothermonday said:
they are 16, 11, 6, 4 and 20 months. yes there are that many. the link from Vulcan looks like it will be helpful. Books for the two oldest would be most important.
Books from my childhood that I remember reading and really enjoying were the stainless steel rat series by Harry Harrison: _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stainless_Steel_Rat I liked it because it introduces the concepts of self responsibility, taking chances no matter what the consequences in an intergalactic setting.
From the original publisher's blurb: said:
...We must be as stealthy as rats in the wainscoting of their society. It was easier in the old days, of course, and society had more rats when the rules were looser, just as old wooden buildings have more rats than concrete buildings. But there are rats in the building now as well. Now that society is all ferrocrete and stainless steel there are fewer gaps in the joints. It takes a very smart rat indeed to find these openings. Only a stainless steel rat can be at home in this environment...
quite an interesting description is given of one of the character groups:
The Kekkonshiki, aka "The Gray Men", are a human subculture who prefer domination to coexistence. They have a talent for using technology to manipulate sentient minds, and have manipulated both humans and aliens on a grand scale. One of their techniques is to make captured adversaries believe they are being tortured when in fact they are not. The Rat has opposed them on many occasions and experienced their "hospitality" first-hand. They live on a harsh, icy world; this existence forced them to eliminate all emotion from their culture. This society is also completely patriarchal, with women being treated as nothing more than property.
The other book I remember is 'Rebecca's world' by Terry Nation, he went on to write Doctor who and Blakes 7. it is available on amazon but surprisingly expensive: _http://www.amazon.com/review/product/0814907792/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?%5Fencoding=UTF8&showViewpoints=1 some very favourable reviews are there. It is the only book I have ever voluntarily wanted to re-read and it did open up my mind to the realm of science fiction.

I would focus heavily on teaching my children phonics--which is the foundation of learning and reading. The public education system has stepped away from that in recent years with disastaerous consequences. Simply do a internet search on phonics vs. whole language and your eyes will be wide open. You have several children and may not be able to afford private education, but you can purchase one phonics program for your home.
No one has a greater influence upon your children than you do, so speak to your children about everything that concerns you and speak often---ie.. at dinner every day. No child is too young just curtail your speach to their level. If you do not teach your children then others will,, make sure it is you that is teaching them. Speak to them from love and caring and then no one elses message will over power yours. Absolutley no books necessary.

i focus constantly on the origin of words and the meaning of the words we use. we talk about the stigmatization of the english language and how it is important to look at things objectively. if something causes a stir or a rise in emotion than it is up to you to figure out why. is it because of something you have experienced or is it because of something you believe?
i find it difficult to separate the time i need for self development and the time needed to expose them to the world of infinite possibilities. perhaps i am making this more difficult than it need be. anyhow thank you for the suggestions.

notanothermonday I found a great book on Amazon that might be helpful
Guerrilla Learning: How to give your kids a real education with or without school by Grace Llewellyn & Amy Silver
http://www.amazon.com/Guerrilla-Learning-Education-Without-School/dp/0471349607

As a teacher and home-schooler I found this book a wealth of helpful information, when working with my own children and other children as well.
The Introduction has a quote from Albert Einstein "It is in fact nothing short of a miracle that the modern methods of instruction have not yet entirely strangled the holy curiosity of inquiry"

A Review of the Guerrilla Learning book From Library Journal gives a good overview of what the authors are sharing in their work.
Library Journal said:
Llewellyn, a lecturer on the subject of home schooling and author of the classic Teenage Liberation Handbook, and Silver, who teaches parenting workshops, have come together to write this how-to book for parents who want to become more involved in their children's education whether through home schooling or by supplementing traditional instruction. The authors offer five fundamental principles opportunity, timing, freedom, interest, and support that, they claim, will transform the way we relate to our children and greatly assist them in growing up to be joyful, passionate creators. Useful for parents and teachers alike, this valuable book closely examines how young people learn and illuminates its practical advice with many stories that make for both insightful and enjoyable reading. Whatever schooling venue parents choose, this book will help them instill a lifelong love of learning in their children.
I also found this on page 144 the author writes;

Grace Llewellyn said:
"You can't fool a two year old more than once into feeling like he/she has a choice. A choice is real or not. Freedom is real or not. One thing human beings are brilliant at knowing is the difference between when they have freedom and when someone is trying to control them...Real choice means that your child might choose to do nothing-and that's because if people are free, they're free to make mistakes as well as do noble things.Let your children confront the consequences of their choices."
Grace Llewellyn also wrote another book called The Teenage Liberation Handbook
I haven't read this book yet, friends who have teenagers have recommended it as a must read!
Hope this information is useful:)

Back
Top Bottom