Earthquakes around the world

Dr. sc. Alen Berta, a forestry engineer and executive consultant at the international consulting company CGI in charge of Earth observation, posted on his Facebook profile satellite images showing the full extent of the disaster that struck the Banovina area.

Satelitske snimke svjedoče o razmjeru katastrofe izazvane potresom: Tlo Petrinje spustilo se za više od 10 cm
„Petrinja earthquake
Satellites show the full scale of the disaster. Comparing the images of the Sentinel 1 radar satellite from 18.12. and 30.12. we see that the ground west of Petrinja moved towards the satellite by 44 cm in the most pronounced part, while the ground of Petrinja itself dropped by 10 to 30 cm. These areas have a radius of 10 km. However, in the belt surrounded by the line Popovača, Sunja, Kostajnica, Dvor, we also notice a shift of a few centimeters, which was still fatal for many houses damaged by war and time.

This amount of ground movement is larger than during the devastating earthquakes that occurred in Italy 3-4 years ago. Just to remind that in the Zagreb earthquake, the ground moved only a few centimeters in the epicenter, while in the City itself it was a few millimeters.“

And yesterday morning there was one minor earthquake of magnitude 2.0 less than 10 km away from us:
Earthquake, Magnitude 2.0 - CROATIA - 2020 December 31, 07:51:29 UTC
I have been following earthquake reports for several years, and such minor earthquakes in the area near me occur relatively often, at least several times a year. I hope they really aren’t an introduction to something bigger.:-(

This is ridiculous!
In ocean of frightening news this year in all the media, daily intimidation with numbers of infected and dead, (for which all psychiatrists agree that they have a terrible effect on the psyche of all citizens, and urge that to be stopped), Police have found that this man deserved jail (30 days) „ for violating the Law on Misdemeanors against Public Order and Peace, ie fabricating and spreading false news that disturbs the peace and tranquility of citizens.“ because „he caused panic with his posts on Facebook since December 28, ie from the first strong earthquake in Petrinja and its surroundings.“
„He persistently wrote when earthquakes would occur next year and in which places in Croatia. He even announced their recordings and predictions.“:

Uhićen je tip koji je danima širio paniku o navodnim novim potresima. U pritvoru je | Telegram.hr

I even followed him for a while on FB (Igor Kostelac), but I didn’t notice that he really predicted some major earthquakes so I stopped following. Guy has a system of his own by observing the conjunctions of planets, the sun, the moon, and the trajectory of comets over certain places on earth, and he connects that to possible earthquakes (without scientific reasoning, more like an astrologer). In the worst case, a man can be called funny, peculiar, weird and so on, but to arrest him for that is, to put it mildly, an exaggeration.

I wonder how the judge will decide on this, just based on some comments on his FB wall. But I would not even be surprised, given what our judiciary is like.
This used to be known in the exYu as a "verbal delict" and now they are trying to put everything similar under the violation of "order and peace".

By the way, a proposal for a controversial "law on electronic media" has been sent to our parliament for discussion, which envisages high penalties for media owners and editors for comments left by readers which are published below journalistic texts on portals. That proposal provoked numerous reactions related to the violation of freedom of speech and the principles of media freedom.

„ for violating the Law on Misdemeanors against Public Order and Peace, ie fabricating and spreading false news that disturbs the peace and tranquility of citizens.“
I've seen someone else, can't remember who or where, who has been charged with disturbing the peace because of saying the truth about covid. So, now, telling the truth is being put forth as disturbing the peace and people can be arrested for it. "They" will try to silence those who tell the truth in whatever way "they" can it would seem.

Last week saw 2 M6, both of magnitude 6.3 in respectively the Philippines and Japan.
In the usual map area, there were 2 out of 93 earthquakes equal to or greater than 4.5 and 1597 out of 2210 quakes of all sizes.
Percentage: 72.3%
Last week there was quite a bit of activity not least felt in Croatia by Forum members there. There were in all 3 M6 quakes with the highest being the M6.7 in Chile followed by a M6.4 in Croatia.
In the usual map area there were 4 out of 104 earthquakes equal to or greater than 4.5 and 1358 out of 1770 quakes of all sizes. Again, I will stress that these numbers are from USGS who leaves out a lot of quakes around the world from local seismographs.
Percentage: 76.7%
Earthquakes 7 days to Jan 3rd 2021.gif

Another 4,2 earthquake in Croatia; today at 7:49

Before that one was 3,5 at 4:20

Yep, felt it myself, some 60km from the epicenter. Incidentally, it happened just minutes after my first post in a long time. Not saying it has anything to with it it, but it’s sort of significant for me personally. It was a pretty good jolt, but rather short in duration.
20 minutes ago again strong earthquake 5.0 near Petrinja, Croatia.

Back
Top Bottom