Earth Sheltered Home Design

freesurfer said:
Hi,
nice to see this here..
nice and strong idea LQB, the drawings looks good, and very strong.. I like the green roof.. congratulations :thup:
I like work with earth.. I built superadobe "eco"dome still now..

I am looking at earthbag dome design currently, bermed or buried into the earth. Great to see someone who has designed AND built

.. the earthbags houses buried, can be problematic.. you must take a lot of precaution.. but why not.. if I can help you Dreamrider.. I'm here..

I've built a small dome 3-4 years ago ( my first project, the prototype) who is more of half buried .. but have littles problems .. no drains, no experience with earth.. everything is lesson.
Was a test , a game, a small guest-bungalow.. today is my principal job.
Our main house (project N°4) is also a little bit buried (some part, but just because our property is not flat, and it's ok, but have in this case, 3 french drains, and a lot of precaution on the back side..

So, I built earthbags houses (and design and manage everythings) since 2009, but not really buried.. I will put all my projects on the forum when I finish this "last" one.. the project number 5.. and is already done.. but still 2 month for finish everythings.

This one is our home, (All the construction in 7 min. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNHQK-R5Fqw ) the big dome is dobble bag, in the front, until half high, thick of this wall +'n - 1 meter.. the rest of the wall's dome are 50 cm, it's already cool..
is the only one I've put on line .. (for now)

I work in construction since 22-23 years.. close to 4 years with earth (and donkeys, (viva Ecuador)) If you need my experience LQB I'm here too.

Saludos

Very nice FS, are there any images of the inside?

Citation de: freesurfer le septembre 16, 2013, 10:11:33 pm

So, here you can find the 2d video of my last project, just finish last week http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7EHMy66wEE

Very nice freesurfer, and outstanding work! Thanks much for the video.

you're welcome, LQB ;)

This one is our home, (All the construction in 7 min. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNHQK-R5Fqw ) the big dome is dobble bag, in the front, until half high, thick of this wall +'n - 1 meter.. the rest of the wall's dome are 50 cm, it's already cool..

Very nice FS, are there any images of the inside?

Thank's Perceval,

As I said before, is not completely finish.. but today is a good 96% :) I will put full power on our home in two weeks + n' -,
we must just make other things, here around this 2 next weeks..
but you can find a slide show of the process of the "lime-earth-wood-tiles and cement job" here (need always the Iron-Job)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNTEj3CICgs&feature=youtu.be

Ciao good people

freesurfer said:

As I said before, is not completely finish.. but today is a good 96% :) I will put full power on our home in two weeks + n' -,
but you can find a slide show of the process of the "lime-earth-wood-tiles and cement job" here (need always the Iron-Job)

Wow!! It is a beautiful work! I will send the link of this thread to Logo 5x5 and Acid Yazz that I know that they will be very interested...

Thanks for share!!

While looking for a suitable place to build a house, I ended up choosing a high spot on the land which seemed to fit the bill.

While trenching around the site we discovered the whole area was sitting on water springs. Dig a trench and in the morning it was filled with water, on the high ground. Trenches on lower ground remained dry for more than a week.

My house ended up being built on a cement slab, which worked very well and it is very energy efficient. I have studied passive solar energy design and am a solar energy technician. The design doesn't have to be extreme to be efficient at preserving energy.

The well water is abundant and tests good after 30 years, even with current levels of oil field fracking in the area. I am glad my daughter lives in the house.

freesurfer said:
As I said before, is not completely finish.. but today is a good 96% :)

I'm quite astonished. Very impressed with your skills. Gives an idea of what is possible. Thank-you.:)

Along with watching the great work you do on these homes, I also like listening to the music you put to the videos. Great stuff, freesurfer! :)

freesurfer said:

Ciao good people

Very very nice freesurfer! Excellent work!

:clap: :perfect:

I've always been interested in building something with "superadobe" (Earthbags). You gave me more motivation to keep on looking into that possibility. :D

Keep on building! :lol:

Thanks freesurfer, for your timely inspiration! :)

I will be ready to begin building a small prototype earthbag dome soon. During the design process of the 'Earth Ark' i wondered how it may be possible to perhaps mitigate the effects of increasing electrical phenonema.

As i see it, as well as providing a 'key' for the external plaster; by wrapping the dome with mesh (such as chicken wire fencing) AND connecting a cable to a metal stake several yards away - this may act as a very inexpensive, integrated 'faraday cage'.

dreamrider said:
As i see it, as well as providing a 'key' for the external plaster; by wrapping the dome with mesh (such as chicken wire fencing) AND connecting a cable to a metal stake several yards away - this may act as a very inexpensive, integrated 'faraday cage'.

That's a good idea but you also want to include metal doors and some kind of metallized shades over the windows - otherwise the EM attenuation will not be so great.

LQB said:
dreamrider said:

That's a good idea but you also want to include metal doors and some kind of metallized shades over the windows - otherwise the EM attenuation will not be so great.

Thats a good point LQB, thanks.

Prodigal Son said:
Spot on. Very inspiring, especially the quality of workmanship. :rockon:

Indeed! Awesome work!! :wizard: Thanks for sharing. How much time does it took you to build this last one?

freesurfer, what do you think about the idea of creating brief "tutorials" about eco-buildings here? I think that it would be very useful for members with similar projects in mind.

We could share different methods and techniques, and even combine them if it's suitable? Just an idea.

I don't have practical experience with eco-buildings yet, but I'm very interested in this kind of projects. Also, I haven't finished the second instructional video of earthships, but as I said, as soon as I finish it I'll share the info here.

Thank's to all :rolleyes:
Thank's for let me a place in your astonishing forum..
Esteban (my avatar) have found here The mysterious cities of gold.. thats sure!

Citation de: LQB le Aujourd'hui à 12:56:11 pm
Citation de: dreamrider le Aujourd'hui à 04:57:44 am

Thats a good point LQB, thanks.

Oh yeah, Thats a good point , indeed!
I'm on the point to connect the electric sytem, and also the copper reebar , the "earth" a fiew meter or yard away, and
it's a good idea to creat also an other way since the chicken wire to earth , and put some defense to the holes, widows and doors.
I was thinking better without defense, for feel more "free", I mean not feel like in a prison, I hesitaded, but this is the argument for make the right balance of our decison, thank' again. ;)

Spot on. Very inspiring, especially the quality of workmanship.
:-[
I'ts my passion .. It's my problem !!
I'm tiler-mosaist and love it. :cool2:

Along with watching the great work you do on these homes, I also like listening to the music you put to the videos. Great stuff, freesurfer!

Mainly songs are from Raul Paz, I love ..
some one in spanish are of Florent Pagny
(French singer, who live now in argentina and sing in spanish too, now, but his spanish text are of Raul Paz, also.)

Indeed! Awesome work!! Thanks for sharing. How much time does it took you to build this last one?

freesurfer, what do you think about the idea of? I think that it would be very useful for members with similar projects in mind.

We could share different methods and techniques, and even combine them if it's suitable? Just an idea.

I don't have practical experience with eco-buildings yet, but I'm very interested in this kind of projects. Also, I haven't finished the second instructional video of earthships, but as I said, as soon as I finish it I'll share the info here.

since 15 sept 12, to 13 sept 13, exactly one year, the 4 fisrt month 10 people, two month 5 people, and the last 6 month 3-sometimes 4 people, because not a lot of people with my "standing" and professional conscience around.. I' ve make my training in switzerland, so very "square-head" for the details of completions, you know..

and for creating brief "tutorials" about eco-buildings here.. :wow: well, will be an honor guys!
must just work my english , but :rockon:

Still thank's.

Back
Top Bottom