DOSA - Indian Pancake

seek10

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
I usually make Indian Dosa , which many people call it Indian pancake.

Traditionally we use rice flour and I replaced it with brown rice flour. for
my surprise, it worked. It is pretty easy and they are very crispy .

contents

-brown rice flour
- Urad dal flour ( black gram pulses into a fine powder. Pale white in color ) - there are some variations
with out Urad dal, but I haven't tried it. I am not sure whether it is
available in american grocery shops or not.

- some salt
grape seed oil - any cooking oil can be used, i use grape seed oil for lack of choice for our detoxing needs.
-and some water

tools

- Iron skillet - for some reason, it needs some seasoning for getting nice dosa's,
whether it is new skillet or old skillets. traditional seasoning method is heat
the skillet and RUB onion over the skillet, when it is hot for 2 or 3 minutes.
repeat 2 or 3 days. then use it for dosa's. This works great . I use Iron
skillet , it looks like, the steel pan also works.

- flat spatula

preparation of batter

brown rice flour : Urad Dal -> 1: .5
total flour (rice+dal) : water-> 1: 1.5
you can add Fenugreek seed also
soak it for over night

Making

Just add some salt and mix the batter. see this video for the rest
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSqLteO1OK4
background of this video is little noisy.

I do little differently than this . I heat the pan and SPRINKLE some water with
hand on the pan and spread the batter ( inside out) and when it is cooking I
add some grape seed oil drops at different places. once it is little
browner at the bottom, I flip it. It is pretty fast to make too.

Oooh, thank you. I love dosas but did not know how to make them. I can't wait to try this, I have purchased these frozen from the IndoPak grocery in my town, they are a reasonably "safe" food. Do you have any suggestions for fillings? The dosas I've had are filled with potato curry. I'd be particularly interested in any vegetarian options, the others I've seen out have a chicken curry filling. Don't forget something to dip these in, they usually come with a yogurt dip. I have found a coconut milk yogurt and I use this instead of dairy with a dash of hot sauce, chopped mint, and cilantro.

D Rusak said:
Oooh, thank you. I love dosas but did not know how to make them. I can't wait to try this, I have purchased these frozen from the IndoPak grocery in my town, they are a reasonably "safe" food. Do you have any suggestions for fillings? The dosas I've had are filled with potato curry. I'd be particularly interested in any vegetarian options, the others I've seen out have a chicken curry filling.

Mostly people use potato curry, In fact any thing can be used
http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/450604#3035887
you can really fill a dosa with anything. I second paneer, you could also do spinach and paneer together. You can even eat dosas with meat qorma (that is traditional for Madrasi Muslims). My favorite dosa is called a "spring dosa." It isn't traditional per say, but it is a common one on menus in dosa joints. It has the same ingredients as a Chinese veg. spring roll, you know, match stick cut carrots, shredded cabbage, bean sprouts, green onion, but the veg is raw. there is no soy sauce, just the veggies alone. Stuffed into a piping hot dosa, those crunchy veggies are sooo delicious, dipped into sambhar and with coconut chutney . You can also paint the inside of a dosa with a chutney that you like, like a coconut mint, a coconut with red chili, or whatever.

Paneer is dairy stuff, you may want to avoid depending up on the blood type.

for chutney, we make this with roasted chana dal

Thanks for this. I've been looking at some Indian recipes lately to get ideas and broaden my eating choices. I watched a lot of videos from user vahchef on youtube. They are nice quality and he presents them well. The website is _vahrehvah.com where there are more videos and recipes. FWIW

Back
Top Bottom