Doe across from park

Avi

Jedi Council Member
I wrote the following to a DNR Regional Supervisor that seems assigned to this area.

Pictures to follow.

Yesterday while walking my dogs I noticed something by the side of the road.

First, the doe was at least ten feet from the road, more like twenty, right on the edge of the woods, in a fairly populated area, across from a park.

The dogs were sniffing, I called them back and took at first a cursory glance at the carcass.

Spread out on its right side the left femur protruded through the skin. maybe not the femur but the foreleg.

I noticed what appeared to be an entry wound, a sizeable disc located what would be the side of the cheek. (facial)

I inspected the face fairly closely though I never touched the body.

there was quite a bit of size to the underbelly where I noticed she's a doe.

I thought it couldnt be too long since whatever happened, happened, but later that night did not call anyone, planning to borrow a camera the next day.

today I returned by the site, a normal walk for my dogs, when I inspected the carcass again, noticeably smaller in body weight, but when I came up to it there was a perfectly shaped circular section near the entrails and some stringy flesh hanging out. I then noticed a slice in the anus or rather around the rear. huge chunks removed.

came home and looked up your office, not sure if this is your department, your site was easier to find an assigned person to the area and email address.

pictures before and after would be great. it looked deflated on day 2 vs day 1, but the holes cut were definitely precise, purposeful, but for what purpose I dont know.

dont see deer by the side of the road everyday, or at least the ones I see are living, and this seems too far from the road to have been hit and left and even if that were the case then what about the definite change from one day to the next? and the mutilation? if your office inspects this I am interested in the reports.

not really the type to go diving into carcasses but mystery always piques my interest. the deer is not decapitated or skinned.

in niles,

~

ps - have renamed nameless in this email but will share those details if they are necessary, would like to meet at the site and
can go any of the next two-four days. I have nothing to hide, just not always fond of bureaucracy spending some time in the biz. would rather contact wildlife than ema, nothing against local guys but information protocol and all that catches fire once it starts up the chain. although, if this is what I think it is it will be in the papers or suppressed and spun. early questions and documentation are good.

Herakles, is it legal to hunt doe where you live? It's common to cut around the anus when gutting a deer. Yet if that were the case I can't see why the hunter would've left the carcass, obviously. If it was hit by a vehicle, it's also possible (however unlikely) that someone decided "hey, I'm gonna take that deer," started to gut it, realized the meat was spoiled, and left it there.

However if the other hole was circular, not up the center of the stomach, and the missing entrails were gone, that does seem quite strange.

Thanks for the feedback Jonathan,

Good questions and as I am not one that goes deer hunter hunting really do not know what the procedures are to clean it. I doubt it is legal to shoot it where I found it as it is right across the street from a neighborhood park, though it is across the street from said park and there are woods (not many acres, have walked back there with dogs) behind the deer.

the thing that struck me as odd is that the first day I noticed the bone protruding from the skin but the next day I noticed the hole and the areas are pretty close, hard to imagine I missed that hole the first day. it is possible I am reading into this more than there is, however, will follow up once contacting authorities.

I have two cameras, neither of which is working right now. :/ would like to get some pictures and maybe you guys can say if it seems odd or not.

its been unseasonably warm, low to mid 60's and some electro-magnetic phenomenon was going on sunday, which is when I think it must have happened as I found it monday, I remember because the sky was kindof hazy, muggy, and some flashes of light were going off as the cell moved around. now it is cold, below freezing tonight I believe.

I drove by again tonight, it is still there, but I over-estimated the distance from the road, it is more like 7-8 feet, not 10-20.

the hole is not up the middle, in other words it was not "split" and emptied, as far as I could tell, rather it looked like a single smallish in diameter (few inches?) hole in the underbelly.

then there was what appeared to be a hole in the face, but again, did not inspect it close enough or get pictures to be certain of this. could have been markings that simply looked like a hole due to discoloration of the fur. I am certain about the hole in the cavity though.

if it is nothing weird but an unfortunate event where the deer was hit and left I wonder what if anything should be taken symbolically?

when found, took it to be a message of sorts.

disturbing message.

I am worried my imagination may have run away with me and before collecting all pertinent data, may be embarrassing, but will find out one way or another.

UPDATE:

The email I sent was bounced, either the person no longer works there or something wrong with there servers.

So I got online and tried someone local, a parks department supervisor and spoke with her today.

She understood the situation but stated

(1) they normally do not remove animals unless they are actually on the road, (as opposed to near the wood-line)

(2) due to the holidays it would be a few days before anyone would be out there.

I also talked with a few other people (non-government) and the consensus seems to be, as seemingly improbable, that the scenario outlined by Jonathan took place, someone started to gut it, decided it was spoiled and left it.

When I returned for pictures an opossum was "living" in the rear. (or having dinner) Little critter looked quite cold, didnt say a word and just watched as I snapped a few shots and left.

Seemed strange there were no other animals (birds, etc) but that one possum, but I think it is nothing like I insinuated.

sorry for the noise.

Back
Top Bottom